Chain Of Memories And The Mansion Of Past

Doppelgänger

In the midst of Kwons' peak of happiness and glory, there is one Kwon who still grieved upon the situation she's facing. Kwon Yuri, was attending a funeral of her father's trusted man and her friend namely Chung Hee, his funeral was the inverse of his master, it was silent and quiet, and only two people went there, Yuri and Donghae who took care of him at his last moments. Yuri's tears kept wetting her cheek endlessly, Donghae tried to erase that terrible feeling of hers, but he couldn't help much. After all, this is the second person who Yuri loved truly left her in the most unwanted way.

 

"Yuri...gwenchana." Donghae got closer to Yuri and comforted her in his embrace. For a young girl at her age, she has suffered to much in this chain of deathly events, she had felt the loss of loved ones, twice. Donghae knew how cruel that organization could be, but comforting someone who felt their cruelty directly, was a different story. 

 

"I couldn't save him...I couldn't..he died because of me..it's my fault.." Yuri repeated her words over and over again in Donghae's custody, regrets of moments she thought she could've change in the past drove her mind into chaos. Donghae wanted nothing more but to confess that this was all his fault and do anything as Yuri wish for in return, for now, keeping her safe is the best option that would satisfy Chung-Hee's last will.

 

"Annyeo, it's his heart's decision to die for you, it's no one's fault, if there is one..that person is none other than me. Mianhaeyo, you may sick hearing this word comes out from my mouth, but I won't stop until I can repay my debt." Donghae said while strengthen his hold over Yuri. The younger girl's cried her heart loud in her lover's hug.

 

After few minutes Yuri spent for crying, she let go of Donghae and removed her tears."What are we going to do now, Donghae?" she asked, she can only depend on Donghae's lead like the way she depended on Chung-Hee's when he was alive.

 

"We can only go forward as told, we're going to Jeju Island to discover what your father is hiding all this time and to see what my boss is after, we have to get that item before he makes a move. Since we know that Siwon is after us, we have to keep our head down. Yuri, this time you really have to trust me, whether you like it or not. I'm the only one who knows how our organization works. if you fail to listen to my command, you can get killed in the next seconds. Let me emphasize it once more, you..no, we are their targets at the moment, that's why." Donghae explained throughly about his plan in mind. 

 

"Arraso, I will choose to trust you as Chung-Hee did. I know you won't disappoint me again, if you care of me truly...promise me you will guide me to the righteous way, can you do it, Donghae?" Yuri questioned the older guy who proposed his love to her. Yuri didn't feel the same about Donghae at first, as time goes by, Donghae earned her trust bit by bit, and managed to make her fall for him. She didn't want to show it because part of her still can't accept the fact that Donghae hurted her and Chung-Hee intentionally.

 

 "That's what I'd like to hear, it may takes sometime but I'm sure that moment that you have full faith on me will eventually come. Until then, let's work together for greater good. I won't fail you like last time, Yuri." Donghae put his hands on Yuri shoulder, making her stood straight. Yuri smiled sweetly at him, she was touched by Donghae's intention to protect her, although she's used to be protected by someone, this feeling of security that Donghae has a different meaning. It's not a job that keep her safe, but love.

 

"I know I can count you, Lee Donghae." She rested her head on Donghae's chest, making Donghae's cheek turned red. Yuri can felt his heart was thumping rapidly in excitement, she giggled of how nervous Donghae was, the skinship she gave alerted Donghae's body who was not used being touched by other girls, apart from Jessica who adored him truly. That hug he just did was an instict for comforting her, Yuri did this on her own without even asking.

 

"We...we ought to go! We can't waste our time too much. I feel sorry for Chung-Hee by leaving his grave this fast..but we won't change a thing even if we spend more time here. Le..let's pack up our things and skedaddle!" Donghae ordered nervously, Yuri chuckled upon the nervousness he showed bluntly. Her smile faded when she glanced at Chung-Hee's gravestone once again, she wish to stay for a little longer but she couldn't, like Donghae emphasized, this place could be her place of death too if she didn't hurry up, the ones who's after her could expect to see her here.

 

"First things first, let's pray for him before going out. At least we leave him with honor at the very end, that way, he can rest in piece." Yuri suggested, Donghae nodded to her. Both of them bowed while folding their hands, the two have different prayers and hope they keep in their respective hearts. 

 

Chung-Hee rest in peace, I won't fail both you and Appa. I don't know what I will gain in the end, but I'm sure this journey will show what I can do to make you proud. Please reinforce my heart with your love up there so that I can completely trust Donghae to do the assignment you left. 

 

Chung-Hee, you have done your job marvelously to protect Yuri. I don't know if I can do as well but I assure you, Yuri won't get hurt again. I promise you, I'll protect her at all cost, please make her trust me and love me back the way I love her. No matter where you are, you will always be my guidance.

 


 

Soon, they took a plane to Jeju Island right after visiting Chung-Hee's grave, there weren't much conversations between them other than asking what they want to drink when the flight attendant passes by. Beside that, Yuri kept staring at the clouds blankly, thinking of her family at Seoul, it's been a month since she left to Tokyo with her deceased father. She wondered how everybody is doing, and most of all, she thought of Yoona, what's happening to her twin little sister when she's not around?

 

On the other hand, Donghae crossed his arms during the flight with his eyes closed. One would suppose that he's sleeping, but actually he wasn't. He was thinking the best way to escape Siwon's plot and search for the third goods that Mr. Kwon left at once. Sometimes Yuri glanced at his pausing position, wondering what's on his mind. She wanted to start a conversation, asking his next move or whatsoever she could pull to make up things between them, but she was afraid she might break his concentration.

 

"Why aren't you sleeping, Yuri? I thought you were tired." Donghae opened his eyes and looked back at Yuri, the younger girl turned away her face with blush as soon as she noticed Donghae's eyes met hers. 

 

"I have so many things in mind, how could I fall asleep this situation? Therefore, I want to talk to you since you're not asleep too. When we land to Jeju Island, what are we going to do?" Yuri questioned Donghae.

 

"What we are going to do depends on your answer, Yuri. You remember what Chung-Hee said, right? What your Appa hides are related to your past. Do you have any idea...what kind of thoughts that crossed your mind if I mention you Jeju Island?" Donghae tried to remind the important clue that supposed to be left on Yuri's mind, Yuri put her index finger below her chin and began processing her mind.

 

"Hmm..I can only think of these things : sound of wave, palm trees and sand...this three just popped out of my head, don't ask me how I got this image. Last time I checked, maybe I went to Jeju when I was around five." Yuri cleared. She hoped that Donghae didn't get his hopes up by asking some question to her, she wanted to be more help but she can't remember a thing about her past nor Jeju Island clearer than this.

 

"Sounds like a beach to me, it's settled then. We're off to see every beaches in Jeju Island to recall your memories." Donghae said confidently. Yuri was startled over his weird idea that was caused by her thoughts, she didn't want to get the blame in the end so she tried to stop him.

 

"Yah! Are you crazy, pabo?! How much time do you think we have to spend if we go here and there randomly because of what I said? I've been thinking why are we even on this plane anyway, finding a lousy suitcase. Is it so worth fighting for?" Yuri underestimated. Donghae glared at Yuri sharply and managed to back her off, it was an angry look directed to her, because of what she said.

 

"Look, here's the deal, Kwon Yuri. That suitcase was the reason of your Appa's death and Chung-Hee's, that suitcase was the reason Siwon after us. Isn't that worth fighting for enough to you? Please don't underestimate this matter, that suitcase was worth of two compounds." Donghae unleashed his anger to the girl beside him, he felt unpleasant against Yuri's words, Although Yuri didn't mean that way.

 

"I didn't mean to underestimate the value of that suitcase.. I mean, I don't want anyone to get hurt anymore..not because of that dreadful thing, not because of me. What I'm trying to say is that I'm worried of you, Donghae. What if you get killed like Chung-Hee? I can't imagine you lay down on the ground filled with blood and then die in my hands..I don't want to see that sight again, the sight of losing someone important to me.." Yuri expressed her feelings to Donghae, the older man felt sorry upon what he just did. She showed concern to him and yet, he scolded her in ignorance.

 

"Yah, that means, you're underestimating me now. Don't you see how clever I was...nevermind." Donghae was about to point out his escape from his facility, but he realized it was mere failure that caused another nightmare to Yuri, Chung-Hee's death. "Anyways, protecting you is a promise I made with a friend, and a promise is the last thing I want to break. I do it not for you, but for him. Don't worry, I'll be fine. After all, I'm the last leader of Sapphire Division Leader of the organization, you may not know how that means, but shortly, I'm awesome." Donghae stated proudly.

 

"Tch, bluffing until the end. An ex-leader of some puny organization that kidnaps a girl to achieve something, not to mention, cried in front of his own victims. Yeah, that's awesome for you." Yuri satirized, Donghae lowered her head and blushed in embarassment. He played with his fingers, pretending not to hear Yuri's sarcasms. It was fortunate Yuri didn't go on with him falling for her.

 

"Well, I suppose there ain't no stopping you. Chung-hee didn't wish for us to stop too, though. I was thinking of giving up on this quest at the moment just then. Fine, I'll tag along then, what can you do alone anyway? On one condition." Yuri pointed her finger upward, Donghae nodded and waited for her to name her terms.

 

"Promise me..you'll not get hurt or die because of me. I'd rather die in your hands rather than vice versa..I've had enough seeing the last moments of people, it's not a pretty picture I tell you. How about it? Promise?" Yuri offered her little finger to Donghae in order to do pinky promise, she showed her puppy eyes and aegyo* in her movements. Donghae gulped, how he suppose to protect her when he's not prohibited to die for her?

 

"Ck, All right..it's a promise as you wish, princess." Donghae pouted while linking his little finger with Yuri's, it's sad he has to fall for her and agree with the deal she made. She might refuse to come over within his protection if he said no, that's why his first priority is to gain her trust to complete his mission. 


 

Yuri and Donghae landed on Jeju Island safely and soon, they found a cab to take them wherever they want to go. As soon as they got in, Yuri slept on Donghae's shoulder in exhaustion, she was feeling relieved because they got into their destination safely. Donghae sighted at her innocent sleeping face, he smiled sweetly, thinking that she can finally rest.

 

When Yuri opened her eyes, she was surprised that the first thing she saw were the vast blue ocean and the golden sandy beach outside window of seemed to be a moving car. she was even more surprised when she turned her head to see the man whose shoulder she slept on and the she remembered they were looking for her family's old beach house.

 

"Finally awake? We're here at last." Donghae turned to Yuri who was stil on his shoulder, their eyes met and they stared in silence. I wasn't until a few seconds later that they both realized what they were doing and quickly looked away. Yuri straightened up and rubbed her tired eyes slightly. She was so embarassed, she can feel the heat on her cheeks.

 

"Um..Yeah, thanks for letting me sleep on your shoulder. Where are we, again?" Yuri asked dumbfoundedly while brushing her hair. 

 

"Pyoseon Beach, The only beach in Jeju’s southeast corner. Let's get off and see if you can memorize anything." Donghae took Yuri's hand instinctly and brought her closer to the beach, when they got closer, sea of people were playing, both of them were wowed by the large number of people there. Yuri thought about it over, she never went to this crowded place, piece by piece of memory was gathering in her mind. Suddenly she heard a voice in her head.

 

"This place is only for five of us.."

 

"What..was that?" she held her head, she closed her eyes and encourage herself to remember more, Donghae noticed the strange pose that Yuri was doing, holding her head with eyes closed like she was having a headache, the reaction bringing her to this place sure was a right solution.

 

"Yuri..do you recall, something? I'm depending on you..but don't push yourself." Donghae asked in a worried tone.

 

"Yeah, gwenchana. It's just..I remember, my Appa said, that place is nothing like this, it was quiet and...there's not so many people. Definitely, this isn't the place, but if I look some more of beaches in this island..maybe.." Yuri stated. Donghae nodded at her point and got back to the cab. Yur was seemed so sure, Donghae knew it was right to count on Yuri's feelings at the first place.

 

"Sir, do you any of particular beach that is secluded?" Donghae asked the driver bluntly. The driver slowed down his car, thinking the place that Donghae might want to see.

 

"Hm..I can only think of one : Jongdal-ri Beach, the one near Haenyeo Museum. Shall we go there now?" the two looked at each other and agreed to go there, they might find another clue. In the car, Yuri kept hitting her head to knock out another useful information for Donghae. She tried as hard as she can to memorize that place. She was aware of the strange sound which popped  in her head was her father's, that means she did went somewhere that's beach-like before in Jeju Island.

 

"Don't exagerrate yourself, I don't expect you to find that house in a day. I told you we should hurry but act rashly won't get us anywhere. Jeju Island is quite big so we do need some time. Rest a bit, Yuri." Donghae said while staring at window, Yuri played with her hair, she wanted to help Donghae as fast as she can so she won't have to bother him again, in the end she only made him concerned of her.

 

"Would you mind if I sleep on you again? Your shouder is warm and it's enjoyable for me to sleep on it" Yuri asked sheepishly. She found herself was being spoiled by her new loyal bodyguard.

 

"Um...if it makes you comfortable, I don't mind." Donghae agreed timidly, Yuri chuckled seeing him acting awkwardly when she ask for anything. Yuri leaned her head on Donghae, she didn't sleep but the pressure she felt has long gone from her heart. Minutes passed and Yuri fell asleep again, Donghae Yuri's bang continously with care. He was happy, Yuri showed how she needed him more and more all the time openly. 

 

In her sleep, a slight, unclear image showed up in her dreams. She was walking in the sandy beach and she saw two girls playing with the sand. They're wearing the same plain t-shirts and one was wearing a black skirt while the other one wore a red short skirt. They're building a sand castle in the coast together, Yuri looked closer to find out who they were, and unexpectedly, they were Yoona and Yuri back when they were still child.

 

 

Yuri jumped in shock and startled Donghae too, what was that? She thought. It felt so real like she has experienced that before, is that dream another hint of this search? She questioned herself.

 

"Yuri? What happened to you? Anyway, you woke up just in time. Here we are." Donghae pointed the view outside the window, this time, it was a beach with clear water with just a few people around. They were just a local residents who have no intention playing at the beach, they're bunch of fishermen who offered services to this quiet beach. Yuri exited the car and felt the shore wind with her eyes closed, and a voice echoed in her head again.

 

"I feel like a princess in the castle! We are the princesses of this tall mountain!!"

 

Yuri opened her eyes and grinned at the wide ocean, she knew this is the last piece she needed. She has remembered all. Totally reminisced the chain of memories she had lost. She now can name her destination rightly. She entered the cab for the last time. Donghae wondered why Yuri's expression changed so more, she was confident this time to point out the road.

 

"Sir, I'm sorry to have troubled you all along, but this time is for sure. Let's head off to Oedolgae Rock, that's where our goal lies." Yuri commanded, Donghae was surprised by the sudden change in Yuri's behavior. She didn't knock her head anymore and focused on the road, every boulevard that they passed made Yuri's lips curved wider. She memorized all the roads she used to pass by.

 

"Aghassi, this is it, Oedolgae Rock. Are you getting off?" the driver asked.

 

"Yes, thanks for everything mister. Here you are." Yuri handed petty cash to the cab driver, Donghae lifted everything from the trunk, he glanced at the valleys that surrounded the watery area. It was different from the other two places they visited before, there was no one around, not even citizens. He asked where Yuri found such a place, it was an very different from Donghae's imagination.

 

"Are you sure this is the place?" Donghae questioned the younger girl in disbelief, he was afraid if he found himself was being misleaded by a wrong memory of a girl. Meanwhile, Yuri peered at Donghae unhappily with his question.

 

"What? You said yourself back at the plane that you only count on my lost memory, well, this is as far as I can take you. Unsatisfied? If you are that's your own fault, Lee Donghae." Donghae felt guilty upon his disbelief to his friend, he boasted highly almighty about finding the place according to Yuri's feeling, in the end he only doubted her.

 

"Mianhe Yuri, I didn't.."

 

"Arraso arraso, save your apologies, I'm not angry at you. Don't worry, We've came to the right place, there you are, the second Kwon Mansion, the one we've been looking for." Yuri designated at the house on top of the hill, it was a lone house at the edge of a cliff. The enormous size and an uniques structure made it looked like a castle of the sea.

 

"Wow..that's huge for something called house. How come you leak out your hidden memories?" Donghae asked in amazement.

 

"Yeah, I figured out me and my sister loved to play around that tall rock in the sea back when we're a child, we named ourselves Princesses Of Oedolgae. As I said before, the place is quiet and I had a dream, playing with my little sister. All the travel we spent before we went here sure wasn't a waste, Lee Donghae, It's your win." Yuri said happily.

 

"See? That's what you get if you work with Lee Donghae. The result will always end up a success." Donghae smirked proudly as if it was him who did all the hard work. Yuri elbowed him lightly, reminding him it was part of her work too.

 

Yuri walked and felt the shore breeze again, this time it was the exact on she had felt before when she was child. She closed her eyes and enjoying the sound of moving waves, her hair was flapped by the wind of the coastline. Yuri had an image of his smiling father to her on her mind. she missed him more by reaching his mansion, the mansion of her past. She folded her hands and said to her father that supposed to bei n heaven by now.

 

 

"I'm finally here..Appa."

 

Author's Note : 

 

Yeah! More YulHae for you shippers! I don't know whether to name this chapter a success or not, I can't even tell >_< maybe you guys can. Anyway, I owe you readers big thanks for reading this story, the viewers have increased to a number of 2000 because of you, Kamshahamida *bows*. Recently, I've been reading all the comments one by one and I realize half of them were asking about shipping of the characters. Therefore, I want to apologize that I couldn't fulfill your wishes that fast, you know, love doesn't work that fast, there will be reunite of the characters, but I emphasize, it's goign to be a long way. I hope this story didn't lost the subscribers because of that, but if it has, than it can't be helped. Thanks again for reading! :D comment if you don't mind.

 

Translations : 

 

Aegyo : cute expression or behavior