Start Of Catastrophe & Escape From The Past

Doppelgänger

 

Everyone cheered her name amid the hustle and bustle of the airport. Many of her supporters had come just to see her. Yes, her name is Kwon Yuri, the all-new celebrity from South Korea that had attracted many attentions from young ages to old ones. The numbers weren't few, there were seas of people at the moment. Her father's company bodyguards made way for her through the crowd, for even her smile drove her fans crazy. She walked in the middle of the crowd surrounding her, having arrived along with her father in Japan. She was there to host a concert, while her father had a so-called-top secret meeting regarding the future of his company. Both of them were famous on their own subjects, but being the daughter of the Asia's leading company made her even better known by the public.

 

"Father, we may have come here together, but let's mind our own businesses, shall we?" Yuri stated coldly, her beautiful features twisted in arrogance. What she really wanted to say was that she didn't want to be caught up with her father's business. It was what he always did everytime he had a meeting abroad.

 

"How can you be so cold to your own father? Come on, a little introduction or two won't hurt. I really want to show them my pride and joy. That's you. My princess, Kwon Yuri," he said. He caught what his daughter meant and although he wasn't happy with it, he took it patiently. It was the price he was willing to pay for his darling daugher's heart to melt. Yet his efforts were futile.

 

"Father, you sound like you made the person that I am right now. Listen, my start may have been one of your handiwork, but after that, I succeeded on my own. When I was down, I stood up by myself. So save those meaningless flattery, I won't go." She turned her face away from her father, but when she picked up the pace and didn't see him beside her, she looked back. He was staring at the ground sadly, making her feel a little guilty for her cruelty. It was necessary, she thought, consoling herself. 

 

"Father? What's wrong?" she asked, worried. The way her father acted was a little bit weird, more like a child who had been banned from buying a new toy by his mother. It didn't suit his image as the chairman of a company in the least.

 

"Then, my princess, I guess...I have to go alone..see you on the other side."

Her father's figure vanished bit by bit from her view. Her eyes widened upon seeing what just happened. "No!" she cried, reaching her hand out to try to stop her father from disappearing, but all that was left were pieces of dust, slipping through her fingers. Suddenly a of light hit her.

 

"DON'T GO!" she screamed as she woke up from her dreadful nightmare of Mr. Kwon, who passed away from a terrible car explosion. She couldn't count how many times she had dreamt about him lately after his death. She panted, wiping the cold sweat from her forehead and fell back onto the bed, exhausted by the malicious images of her father. She looked around to observe where she was at the moment, a hotel room, the one she rented for her escape, her escape from the past.

 

The girl noticed something on the floor. It was her father's black suitcase, the only thing that her parents left her with for their journey abroad. She looked at it sadly, and got up from her bed, walking towards it. She kneeled in front of it, opening it slowly, then looked inside. Memories flashed through her mind, all the things her father used to say when she wore pretty dresses, the things they used to do together. She bit her lip, willing the images to fade away because it was too much to bear. A tear slid down her cheek. She tidied the things in her deceased father's suitcase, and closed it with respect. She held the suitcase tightly in her arms, regretting the things that she shouldn't have done in the past. It all seemed foolish and immature of her now.

 

"If only I agreed to see your companions that time, if only i didn't refuse your offer like an idiot, you wouldn't have been involved in that explosion...and I wouldn't be this lonely. At least I will still have you by my side. Father..I miss you, so much..if it weren't for me, you would still be alive...I'm so sorry." Her eyes welled and she began crying, and once it started she couldn't stop. She thought upon what had happened, repented her actions back then. She thought her father's death was her responsibilty, although she didn't do anything wrong in the first place, but her mind told her otherwise. Her mind told her he would be alive and laughing beside her now if only she wasn't so stubborn.

 

-Flashback-

 

Right after the refusal of her father's offer, she took that suitcase of hers along with her father. They had the same pattern and colors, both black metal-material suitcases. This idea came from Yuri, because in spite of her harsh way of talking to her father, she loved him with all her heart. Having twin suitcases made her feel that it was a little compensation, a father-daughter thing. The only reason she was so cold was just because she didn't want to interfere with her father's business, because she was afraid that her presence would bother the guests. Some of them may like her, but if they don't, they'll only think of Yuri as a nuisance. Well, that's what she thought of.

 

"If you dislike your father so much, why did you still bring that suitcase that we bought together?" Mr. Kwon said teasingly. He knew that Yuri was just pretending to be arrogant towards her father and he had acknowledged what's on his daughter mind. She only needed a little push in order to follow her father's wishes.

 

"Yah! I brought this because it was the best suitcase I can get. Don't think of this the wrong way." Yuri pouted, embarrassed to have been found out. Her father smiled knowingly at her protests, and she reddened. She loved her father very much.

 

"Right, tonight's your concert right? I suppose you've saved the best seat for the chairman of Kwon company?" he said confidently. It was her habit to save a seat for her family, because a lot of her relatives supported her and loved her, especially Mr. Kwon who was really proud of her. He favoured his little princess more than her older brother, Kwon Ji-Yong. The chairman compared them many times, constantly saying how much better Yuri was than her brother. Although Yuri always felt bad about it and apologized to her brother afterwards.

 

"Yeah, of course I did, that's the reason you came along with me right? If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have bothered to take the same plane as mine. It's not that hard for you to find your own flight. Give me a break, father, you're an awful liar," she said annoyingly.

 

He ruffled her hair, causing her to whine, before saying, "Goodie then, I expected nothing less from my favorite. So I'll catch you later then, I'm sure your manager and your vehicle's waiting outside the airport." He pointed at the exit of the airport that's quite far from both of them. 

 

"Um..yeah, thank you, father. See you at the stage." Then she gave a light peck on Mr. Kwon's cheek. Little did they know, that night would be the last night they will spend together. If only there was a way they could know beforehand, they would have shared a better conversation with each other. Yuri was in her limousine, already far away from Mr. Kwon. He smiled, a tad wistfully, at his grown daughter. He loved her still and very much, but he couldn't help missing the times when she was still a little baby and he could carry her everywhere because she fit just right in his arms.

 

"I'm so proud of you. My baby has turned into a mature lady. If only I can erase that childishness of yours, I'm sure you would be the most splendid heiress of the company, rather than that brat Ji-Yong," he said, sighing as he thought about Ji-Yong's antics. "I have my full faith in you, Yuri, don't disappoint me will you?" Mr. Kwon said to himself. His bright expression turned solemn when he faced two of his bodyguards. They were both well-built and wore identical black glasses, as well as identical unsmiling expressions on their faces. Their perfectly tailored suits added to the impression that they were the most capable of bodyguards. 

 

"Mr. Kwon, shall we? Your ride has been prepared outside." 

 

"Yes, let's move on," he ordered.

 

When he went into his grand limousine, he felt something strange on his seat, an envelop that he didn't recognize. His mimic changed upon seeing the content of the envelop. It was a short threatening letter that said:

 

"Give us the suitcase, then your family's lives will be spared. If you do not comply, we will use deadly force."

 

He read it calmly and put the letter back in the envelop, inserting it in his suit before his bodyguards went in. When they did, they saw their master was sweating. One dared to ask, "Is something wrong, Mr. Kwon?" 

 

"Nothing...there's nothing wrong," he said with a professionally trained smile. It couldn't be further from the truth. Mr. Kwon was afraid to tell them about the letter, but he focused his attention on solving the problem rationally, a trait which got him to where he was right now. One thing crossed his mind, how did the letter get here? People who knew about this car were few and he realized something was a little bit fishy. Who could have done this? He stared at his bodyguards warily, then he glanced at his driver. His hands were clammy from sweat and he wiped the beads that collected on his brow. His heart beat faster as the seconds ticked, he could be in the afterworld any minute now. Luckily, the sender didn't do anything and he arrived at the hotel where he and Yuri were staying at in one piece.

 

"Mr. Chairman, this is your card key, your room number is 3004 on the third floor." said the well-dressed man that appeared beside him. He was the right hand of Mr. Kwon, Chung-Hee was his name. He bowed ninety-degrees once he handed the key over to his superior.

 

"Oh, oh yes," he said distractedly, throwing a sidelong glance left and right. "Your service is highly appreciated, Chung-Hee. Thankyou." He smiled slightly as he raised his card, showing his gratitude. 

 

"Anytime, Mr, Chairman." he bowed once again with a smile. Before continuing to walk, Mr. Kwon observed Chung-Hee with suspicious eyes. "Is there a problem, sir? Anything I could get you?" said Chung-Hee with concern. 

 

"N-no, nothing at all. Thank you again." He chided himself for not trusting the one man that had stuck by him all these years. Impossible, it couldn't have been Chung-Hee.

 

Then Mr. Kwon made his way to the third floor with his bodyguard standing by, sandwiching him in between them. They finally reached the front of their room. Mr. Kwon dismissed his bodyguards and ordered them to guard in front of the door. As soon as he closed the door, he put his suitcase safely in the drawer.

 

"They'll never find the code," he murmured with satisfaction, confident that the ones who threatened him will never find the code even if they ransacked the whole room. He closed all the curtains and windows as well, not wanting to give any opportunites for his harraser to make good on his promise.

 

He set off to his daughter's concert after making sure everything was safe. When he arrived at the concert hall, he realized that Yuri might be the target. She may be in grave danger right now. He took quick action and sent his bodyguards backstage without being seen. Mr. Kwon gave a message to Yuri notifying her of the danger she was in. Of course she couldn't help but wonder at the meaning of her father's message. It wasn't the sort of message he used to give. Usually it was goodlucks and loves, or asking her to take a picture before she went on stage, but this time it was only a short, strange warning.

 

"Beware, take care of yourself, Yuri."

 

 

 

"What a strange way to show your concern, but I'll take it as your love. Thanks, Father," Yuri said through her cellphone. She finished with her make-up, her face looking angelic. "Perfect," she said to the girl in the mirror. She heard knocking on the door and turned around.

 

"It's time, Yuri," said the stage manager. She nodded and went out, stepping on the stage bravely, greeting her fans with high spirit.

 

Among thousands of people enthusiastic for the concert, only one person felt quite different as he sat tight-lipped and edgy. Yes, he was the one sitting in the front seat with his handkerchief used to continuously erase the sweating that wouldn't stop. When she came on stage, he pretended to cheer on his daughter like a fan, but inside, he was ready to barge on-stage to save Yuri if it was necessary.

 

One minute felt like an hour to him. He couldn't remember time being this slow. He wanted to enjoy his daughter's spectacular show, but his fears kept him from doing that. Yuri spotted her father in front stage. Even though he smiled, she realized how tired his face looked. She thought that her performance wasn't good, but then again, she couldn't have guessed it was something else that was more important than anything for him -- her life.

 

The nerve-wracking show ended, and everyone sighed in relief because the show was better than they expected. Mr. Kwon did the same, but his sigh held a different meaning. He didn't lose his daughter tonight, and that meant more to him than any amazing concert. He watched her until Yuri went backstage with her manager despite the cheering of her fans for her to do one more song. She waved at them before disappearing backstage, looking exhausted but happy and he found that he could breath more easily. She was safe now in his bodyguard's hands. 

 

Back at the hotel where he was staying, Mr. Kwon was waiting for Yuri. It had grown late and usually he went off to sleep before his daughter because she was sure to come home late from the meet-and-greet as well as whatever celebratory party was thrown for her. This time he couldn't sleep without knowing she had arrived. Yuri got home safe and sound, not noticing that something sinister was going on.

 

"Yuri! My beautiful princess! You did very well tonight."

 

"Just.. very well?" she said, looking slightly miffed. "..I did bad didn't I? I saw your face on the stage and you seemed disappointed throughout the whole show. You don't have to lie to me, father, I can take on critiques." Yuri assumed negatively.

 

"No, of course not. You looked like a goodess to me," he said, full of praises.  "Don't overthink it too much. Really, your performance was one of the best that I've ever seen! To tell you the truth, child, I wasn't disappointed, I was tired with all that travel we've been through. Couldn't sleep a wink on the plane. Believe me, you were beautiful, and no matter what, you'll always be my princess," he said, tucking a strand of errant hair behind her ear.

 

Yuri beamed at her father, not realizing the lies interweaved in his words. He couldn't tell her the truth. If she heard about it she would suggest moving to another, much safer, hotel. Mr. Kwon thought differently. If they moved, the sender would notice and realize that they were trying to escape with the "code".

 

A niggling thought told her something was wrong, but she dismissed it, blaming her trait of over-thinking things. She yawned. "Hmm.. I noticed you were sweating, though. Well, in any case, I'm sorry for judging you like that, Father, I thought you disliked how I sung."

 

"Perhaps we should go to bed directly since we're both tired," said her father kindly.

 

Guilt weighed in her heart and she regretted refusing her father's offer to see his companions. "I should've noticed that you were exhausted, father. If I knew I wouldn't have asked you to come to the show in the first place," she said with care. Bit by bit, the ice melted. 

 

"Anything for you, sweetheart. Now I suggest you change your clothes while I report our progress to your mom, Ji-Yong and Yoona." He handed her daughter the nightdress that he had chosen while waiting for her.

 

"Thanks, be right back, father." Yuri smiled the moment she entered the bathroom, happy that Mr. Kwon mentioned Ji-Yong's name. She was afraid that her beloved oppa would get excluded in her father's head. Lately, they've been having a cold war with each other. The two refused to talk, and her father threatened her brother that he would never hand the family's company to someone like him.

 

Meanwhile, Mr. Kwon sent a text message that goes like this : 

 

Honey, how are you doing? How is the situation at our house? What's going on with Yoona and Ji-Yong? Both me and Yuri missed you guys a lot, we hope to see you soon, I just finished watching our talented daughter's performance. She's getting better and better everyday and she looked like she enjoyed it very much. So did I! We're going to sleep right now so I'm informing you about our progress so you won't have to worry again. Has someone told you that you're way too protective, my dear? 

 

Love, your husband

 

He waited for his wife's reply excitedly. After a minute, his phone pinged, signaling a new message. It read: 

 

Good to hear from you, dear. We're doing fine and the situation is calmer than before. You know the reason why, you and Ji-Yong are not under the same roof. Our kids are doing their usual activities. Yoona is currently studying hard for her upcoming exam, while Ji-Yong is searching for a job that suits him. He really meant what he said to you about being independent. Be sure to have a good time with your daughter, and don't get too excited. Someone mentioned that I am way too overprotective, and I hope that someone knows there's a good reason for that. Sweetdreams.

 

Love, your wife

 

He was happy to see his wife's reply, but when it came to the news that Ji-Yong was currently searching for a job, he gave a smirk, knowing that eventually he was sure to put Ji-Yong in the office. Once he had done his duty as head of a family, he wrote a text message to Chung-Hee regarding company matters. Instead of talking about progress, he sent a text message that was more of a last will. 

 

"If anything happens to me, Chung-Hee, I'll entrust my daughter to you. Find a safe place where no danger can approach her. Also, when I'm gone, be sure to announce that... Kwon Ji-Yong will take over the company. That is all I have to say. Thank you for your cooperation."

 

He pondered whether to send it and added another sentence.

 

"And thankyou for your hard work all this time. It's been a pleasure to have you as my right-hand man. No, as a friend."

 

After sending it, he exhaled deeply. He wasn't keen on the idea of handing the company to Ji-Yong, but he had no choice, Ji-Yong was indeed the rightful heir of the company. Her daughter had finished changing as well. Mr. Kwon gave her daughter a goodnight kiss on her forehead, lingering for a moment longer. 

 

"Sweetdreams, my princess." he said affectionately.

 

"You too, Father." Then she kissed her father's cheek and turned off the light. 

 

Yuri fell under the spell of sleep quickly due to her tiring schedule. But things weren't the same for Mr. Kwon. He tossed and turned, unable to go to sleep properly from worry and all the burden he had to carry. He stared at the ceiling, absent-mindedly tracing the decoration with his eyes that soon grew accustomed to the darkness. He contemplated on how he should save his daughter and company from danger. He jumped out from his bed, and started to do something odd. He swapped the contents of his suitcase with his daughter's, and so, the result ended up with Yuri's suitcase becoming Mr. Kwon's and his becoming Yuri's.

 

"Hmph. That'll show 'em," he said, hoping it would be smart enough to fool the bad guys that were after him because the case were really the same.

 

"I'm sorry, Yuri, for putting you into this situation. Don't worry, you'll be safe with Chung-Hee. I'll make sure you live your life the way you were meant to, my little princess. Goodnight." He kissed Yuri's forehead once again and tucked himself in. This time he went to sleep, a real sleep.

 

-One Day Later-

 

"Are you sure you don't want to come along, Yuri? They would love to meet you. We can go together with your car." Mr. Kwon asked for the last time. He was about to go to the meeting he mentioned at the airport. Once he handed the suitcase after the meeting, everything will turn out just fine. Yuri rolled her eyes at her father's idea and refused. Even after she rethought about it, she didn't want to go for fear of being a nuisance to her father. 

 

"Father, let me straighten this out, I don't want to trouble you, and...there's no point going there if it's only to introduce myself. I have to finish some business with the manager also." 

 

"Arasso, arasso, take care of yourself, alright? I don't want to see you getting hurt," he said while putting his hands on her shoulder. Yuri couldn't tell what he was implying, but he often said confusing things to her so she didn't bother asking.

 

"I will, thanks for taking care of me, Father." She gave another peck to her father's cheek and went into her own car, intending to drive alone without anyone with her this time. It was a personal matter with her manager that she was about to discuss. She brought the ill-fated suitcase that her father traded last night along with her. She couldn't tell the difference. 

 

Mr. Kwon got into his limousine and sat on the back seat.

 

"Give me the suitcase," he ordered his bodyguard. As soon as the item was in his hand, he muttered, "I must check the inside for the last time..then I will tell the problems to my company." The sound of clicking from the suitcase made him nervous, he felt his heart beat faster. He peeked inside and there was only a black machine with a ticking digital clock. A paper was taped above the digital clock, on it was written in capitals:

 

"YOU RISKED YOUR FAMILY'S LIFE IN DANGER SUCCESSFULLY, AND YOU'LL BE THE FIRST TO GO. GOODBYE."

 

His eyes widened when he saw the clock about to strike 00:00, and his bodyguards instantly threw themselves over the suitcase as he jumped out from the car -- but it was too late. 

 

"BANG!!!!"

 

The car exploded with a deafening bang, catapulting debris into the air as the remnants were engulfed by a sea of flames. A second blast erupted, caused by the aftereffects of the contact between fire and the car's gas. His bodyguards and driver died due to direct contact with the bomb but Mr. Kwon survived, albeit injuries all over his body and a particularly awful bleeding from a gash on his head. The blood wouldn't stop coming, and his vision gradually blurred. The last thing he saw before losing consciousness was Yuri's car driving off into the distance. He smiled as the darkness overcame him, at least his favourite princess was safe. 

 

Yuri glanced at her rearview mirror when she heard the boom and when she saw the explosion, she panicked. She pulled the reverse gear and stepped on the pedal as fast as she could. From where she was, she couldn't tell how things had happened, but her instinct told her it was bad. Very bad.  

 

"Father!" she shouted, getting out of her car, looking for the familiar, kind face amongst the black smoke and crowd that appeared around the site. When they saw her, the crowd murmured and whispered amongst themselves, pointing towards her. She ignored them as her eyes caught sight of her father, lying on the ground passed out. She could hardly believe it. "Father!" she said desperately, a lump lodged in . Yuri lifted Mr. Kwon's head, his face pale from the loss of blood.

 

"Father?! Father?! Speak to me! Ambulance! Please, someone help!" Yuri shouted, and almost a hundred cellphones dialed the emergency line in unison. Finally one man shouted, "They're coming, but there's a roadblock so they might take some time." The crowd groaned, and Yuri started breathing heavily. Tears sprung from her eyes. Even with her fame, she was still powerless to save the people she loved. To everyone's surprise, Mr. Kwon opened his eyes, causing Yuri to inhale sharply.

 

"You came back.." He Yuri's cheek. 

 

"Of course, father." she said, grinning through her tears. "And you woke up."

 

"Yuri..run..leave this place, it's not safe anymore. Run, run, and never return.." He requested for the last time with a hoarse voice. It was difficult for him to keep his eyelids open, it fluttered as he spoke. "I'm...so..proud of you..my d-daugh...don't die..please..take care of your...promise...." His words slurred together, no more strength to even form a proper sentence. "I.. love..you."

 

"I promise..I promise, father. Please..don't die on me..." she whispered painfully, though she couldn't imagine the pain her father must be feeling right now. "I love you s-so much, f-father. I'm sorry f-for everything. I love you." Her voice was thick, and she nearly choked on her sobs as she spoke. A drop of tear fell on her father's cheek, and it slid down his skin, washing away the soot that settled.  

 

His lips twitched, the shadow of a smile as his trembling fingers reached upwards for her. She gripped his hands, holding on to her father in despair.  His mouth opened and closed, forming words that she could barely hear. "What, what did you say, father?" she said, bending lower to hear him.

 

"I knew it."

 

Then he blew his final breath, and a peaceful smile crossed his face. Happy for at least he died in the arms of his little princess.

 

"Father?! Father?! Wake up! WAKE UP! NOOOO!!" she cried, hugging her deceased father for the last time. Today, Kwon Company lost their rightful leader and Kwon Yuri lost the person she loved most in this world. Everything happened in a flash..

 

 

-End Of Flashback-

 

 

Suddenly, Yuri heard a faint knock on her door. 

 

"May I come in, Young Lady?" 

 

"Yes, feel free to enter, Chung-Hee." She opened the door for him. Chung-Hee looked worried about his young mistress. Despite the smile she forced herself to wear, he could see she was doing terribly. Her eyes were red and swollen from all the crying and her hair was a tangled mess. 

 

"You were screaming back there, I could hear you from the next room. Is there anything I could help with, Young Lady?" he said sympathetically.

 

"Not unless you can change the past," she said with a sad smile. Chung-Hee nodded, understanding, and retreated back to his own room. Yuri climbed back to bed and hugged her pillow, thinking about her father once more..