08. Memories Pt. 1

어디에서 왔는지 (Where Did You Come From)

08. Memories Pt. 1

 

“Brother, are you sure this is a good idea?” a little boy asked his brother. Sitting in a cell, where the air was cold and dry, the two slowly ate their so-called breakfast in the dark. The older boy drew pictures in the dirt-covered floor as he slowly nodded.

“It’s our only chance if you want to see grandma again,” he muttered, eyes furrowed as he focused on drawing out his plan of escape.

“Grandmother…  But Jin, what if the guards catch us? They would hang us if we get caught!”

“That’s why I’m trying to formulate a plan so it guarantees us that we won’t get caught.”

“And Fiona, are we brining her as well?”

Jin froze when his younger brother mentioned that name, cheeks flushing pink as he quickly got up. “I-I don’t know yet, Hyo Sang. She might not want to come.”

“Why wouldn’t she want to come? You two are practically inseparable!”

The older male sighed, sitting back down, “I had a fight with her yesterday morning.  I tried to apologize before dinner, but she ignored me.”

“Bad idea hyung,” Hyo Sang replied, shaking his head in dismay, “girls need space, especially after a fight.”

“…Should I continue to apologize?”

“OF COURSE YOU SHOULD IDIOT!!! FIONA NOONA NEEDS TO BECOME MY SISTER-IN-LAW-- I mean…” shutting his mouth, Hyo Sang turned away in embarrassment while Jin laughed.

“You really like her don’t you?”

“… A-Anyways, are you done with the plan?”

Smiling, Jin nodded and walked over to the barricaded door. “Yeah, I just need to ask Fiona if she’s coming with us or not.”

“And if she is coming, when are we leaving?”

“Tomorrow night, right after the guards finish their shifts. Don’t leave the cell today unless it’s for training. I need to remove your tracking device.”

 


 

 

The tracking device was something Jin never liked. It made him feel suffocated, knowing that there was something else under his skin. Numbers that were engraved along his shoulder made him feel like an experiment. But finally, after being in that cage for so long, the lock would come loose and his collar would come off; in a painful and gruesome way.

“A-Are you ready?” he asked his younger brother while he held the dagger in his hand. Giving a small smile, the boy nodded, holding onto Fiona’s hand for support.

“You’ll do fine Hyo Sang,” whispered the girl. Sitting in a more comfortable position on the ground, Hyo Sang gave a slight nod before the dagger pierced his skin. He wanted to resist the urge to scream, but the pain was too much that he gave out a loud screech, gripping the girl’s hand a little too tight as it turned a darker shade of red. He shook his legs in a musical pattern, trying to keep still but the pain continued to grow.

“You’re doing well,” encouraged Jin, digging through his skin to retrieve the piece of metal.

“J-Jin, hurry… It hurts…!” Hyo Sang whimpered, tears nearly spilling out from his eye sockets as he noticed the blood trailing down his chest.

“I got it!”

Rushing over, Fiona casted a spell, slowly healing the injured boy.

“Hyo Sang, keep it for now until we runaway. They might find it suspicious tomorrow morning if they realise that the tracking device went missing,” ordered Jin, placing the small piece of metal into his hand.

“Alright, but Jin hyung, who’s going to take out yours?” replied the younger boy, looking up with eyes full of fear.

“I can do it for him,” answered Fiona, “I may not be the best surgeon, but I can at least try right?”

Switching places, Jin took off the top part of his jumper along with his muscle shirt. “J-Just try to make it quick.”

Fiona laughed at how silly her boyfriend was being, but nevertheless, she agreed and slowly forced the dagger into his shoulder.

“Hyung, hold onto my hand if it hurts,” offered Hyo Sang, and immediately the older male gave the boy a death grip.

“You’re doing well, you’re doing well,” said Fiona. Finally, after what seemed hours, the tracking device was out and the male sighed in relief.

 


 

 

“Hurry you idiots! They’ve escaped!” a rather buff man cried, desperately watching the young adults escape.

“This way!” yelled Jin, directing the group towards the main entrance. As they ran out of the building, a strong breeze greeted them. In front of them were the bare land and few trees.

“Hyo Sang, stall them for a bit!” Fiona exclaimed. Springing into action, a black ball formed in front of the younger male, gradually getting larger and larger. When the guards appeared, Hyo Sang sent the black ball flying towards them, knocking them off balance.

Plunging his dagger into the ground, a green circle of light appeared.

“Hurry, into the portal!” Jin bellowed, beckoning the two to hurry.  The guards regained their balance and quickly ran towards the two, but being smart, Hyo Sang threw another ball before disappearing into the portal with his brother and Fiona.

 


 

 

“Where are we?” Fiona finally asked after landing in a grassy area.

“From what I remember, we landed in a field in Orion, Sector 7” replied Jin, “my hometown.”

“Let’s find grandma!” shouted Hyo Sang, jumping up and running north. Hesitantly looking at each other, the two smiled and gave a quick hug before pursuing the little figure.

 

“Grandma, grandma, please open up! It’s me, Hyo Sang!”

Continuously pounding on the door, Hyo Sang called out for his grandma and to his luck the door opened, revealing a woman in her mid-seventies.

“Hyo Sang, is it really you?” she exclaimed with glee, briefly depicting the boy’s features before giving him a bear-hug. “Oh, I’m so happy to see you again! Where’s your brother?”

“Right here grandma,” he called out, giving a small wave before releasing his girlfriend’s grip to hug his dear grandmother.

“Oh my little Jinnie, you’ve grown up!”

“Grandma…!” he whined, cheeks flushing a dark pink.

“And who might you be?”

“Hello grandma, my name is Fiona,” greeted the girl with a bow.

“Aigoo, you’re so pretty! Are you Jin’s girlfriend?”

“Y-Yes…”

Smiling, the woman beckoned the group to come inside her little cottage. “I’m terribly sorry about the mess; I just came back from planting crops.”

“Still planting huh? You haven’t changed a bit grandma,” gleamed Hyo Sang, his smile getting larger and larger.

“And you haven’t gotten any taller,” his grandmother playfully growled causing the boy to pout and whine. “But my children, how did you manage to come and visit me?”

A wave of guilt hit Jin and Hyo Sang’s faces as they thought about what to say.

“W-Well, w-we…” started Hyo Sang, but being the innocent and truthful girl she was, Fiona explained what happened to the poor lady.

“Oh my, I never knew they would go so far to put a tracking device in your precious bodies!”

“Its fine grandma, what they’ve done has nothing to do with now. We’re here now, safe and sound and we plan to keep it that way,” replied Jin.

 

 


 

 

Intertwining their fingers, the couple laid down in a field just outside of town, feeling the breeze run through their hair.

“I’m glad we managed to escape,” said Fiona, rubbing her thumb over Jin’s knuckles.

“I am as well,” he replied back in a quieter tone.

“I’m scared though.  What if they find us? What will happen?”

Jin stared at the sky in thought, wrapping his arm around the girl’s petite figure. “They won’t find us. I promise.”

“B-But Jin…” without continuing her sentence, he silenced the girl with a light peck on the lips.

 

 


 

 

The moonlight casted a ray of light through the window as Jin stared at the ceiling. It was a cool, August night and the three managed to survive three months without having the guards come and find them.

Will everything be ok? He asked himself. A part of him told him that something bad would happen and everything would fall apart.

 

 

And everything did.

 

 

Waking up the next day, a loud noise was heard from downstairs. Quickly running down the corridor and down the stairs, he hid behind the living room door as he watched one of the guards grab onto his grandmother’s petite body.

“Where are they?” one of them shouted.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” he heard her shout back.

“Yes you do, now tell me!”

 

“Grandmother!” a voice shouted. Appearing out of nowhere, Hyo Sang interfered with the guards, slamming his body into the larger man’s and the two fell to the floor. “Don’t you dare touch her you hear me?!”

Easily picking up the younger boy, the guard grabbed his collar and pinned him against the wall. “Do you know how much trouble you caused us? I’m glad we finally found you.”

“Now where’s the other boy?” growled the other guard.

“He’s not here; we went separate ways after we escaped!”

Jin froze from the big fat lie his younger brother told. No, don’t lie you idiot! Don’t lie to save me!

Believing the terrible lie, the giant took him out the door while the other guard looked around the room.

“Fiona, where are you?” he bellowed. Walking out of the kitchen, the girl entered with a smirk.

“Nice job boys, but I’m sure Jin was here a few hours ago.”

Jin could not believe his eyes or his ears. His girlfriend was one of them, the people who he despised the most.

“We should get going; the boss isn’t the patient type.”

Complying, the two headed out the door, leaving the poor lady on the floor.

“Grandmother,” Jin half whispered half shouted. “Oh grandmother, are you alright?”

“I’m fine Jin, just help me clean up this mess,” she softly replied.

“Can’t believe this happened…”

“It isn’t your fault, I’m sure Hyo Sang will find a way to escape again.”

“He’s still a kid and is easily scared… He’s traumatized for God’s sake!” Jin yelled, tears streaming down his face.

“Jin, we’ll find a way to get him back, I promise.”

“A-Alright…”

“Just rest for now, I’ll cook you dinner.”

 

But dinner never came…

 

Waking up from his slumber, Jin realised that it was probably around eleven at night. Where’s grandma? Dinner should have been made hours ago...

Leaving his room, he noticed trails of blood leading down the stairs. Deciding to follow, he found a note with writing that looked much like a child’s.

 

Jin, I’m sorry…

 

Nervously, he ran out the door in hopes of finding his grandmother. He called out for her, yelling and screaming with frustration and fear.

Then, he noticed a younger boy, maybe a few years younger than him. He was also crying, sitting with his face buried in-between his knees.

“H-Hey, are you alright?” he stuttered the question. The boy looked up with red puffy eyes.

“T-They took her! T-They took my little sister!” he wailed.

“Who took her?”

“UVERians… The came into my house a few hours ago and took my sister!”

UVERians… why did that term seem so familiar to Jin? Deciding to cheer up the boy, he took out his dagger and drew a symbol in the dirt, ing the mechanism into the ground after he was done.

“Here, I know it’s not much but hopefully it cheers you up a bit.” Jin handed the younger boy a dark blue rose. “They took my grandmother… Before that, the guards from the training camp took away my younger brother and my girlfriend turned against me.”

The boy stopped sobbing and stared at the older boy who was ready to burst out into tears. “Hyung, you can cry as well…”

Staring back, the older male tried to fight back the tears, but a waterfall of them continued to fall.


Hehe, hope you liked Jin's past so far! By the way, the little boy is Jung Kook :) Thank you once again for 45 subbies! <3

 

Posted On: May 14/14

Last Updated/Edited: August 3/15

Word Count: 2016