Cartoon KAT-TUN

Gaijin Tarento Diary

 

I promised a portrait of Mady in chapter 8 but my drawing isn’t the best so I thought that some real face would do the work for me. So here it is. It’s what Mady Troy looks like. =)

 

 

“…and suddenly the ball was after me. Before I could react it hit me on the head. Bang!” Kamenashi-san was telling me one of his baseball stories.

I couldn’t help but laugh. “I’m sorry I’m laughing but… well… it had to hurt!”

“Honestly I don’t know. I just heard that sound and then I can’t remember a thing,” he started to laugh too.

“Kame and his favourite bloody story…” Akanishi-san sat next to me. “He thinks he can pick up girls on this.”

I laughed again. When I was with them everything seemed to be funny. Now we were sitting in the backstage of Cartoon KAT-TUN where I was invited. Every time I was at some variety show I had my own interpreter. It was Mrs. Tanaka – wife of my manager. She was everywhere with me and thanks to her I could communicate with Japanese speaking hosts without script. My reactions were just a little slower because of the translation but I could react pretty well. Mrs. Tanaka had to translate in English to me. If she translates in Czech there was a danger I will answer in Czech as well and it won’t be funny so much. When I was talking to the others without cameras I was talking in English even though I was using some Japanese words or phrases I learned, so my language was English-Japanese. At the beginning I felt bad about that I can’t speak the language of the country I currently live in, but no one minded. They talked to me in English but sometimes it was just so-so.

 

Who have ever watched Cartoon KAT-TUN knows how the show goes. The band briefly introduces the guest (usually using some awkward picture from his childhood) and then invites him to the studio. We bowed and then sat on the sofas. Before the show starts the guest is given one hundred questions. Some of them are shown during the show and if someone is interested in current answer, he stops it and asks for better explanation. The question goes along with the answer. The first question is usually about the date of birth.

It was mine first question too and Akanishi-san stops it right away.

“You’re eighteen?! What?! You must be kidding!”

“No, why should I?” I was pretty surprised by his behaviour.

“I know that.” Kamenashi looked very proud.

“Jin-kun wanted to say that he thought you’re older,” Nakamaru-san tried to explain Jins hysterical gasping.

“Oi Nakamaru, you’re being impolite again!” Koki spoke up.

“What’s so impolite about it?” he didn’t get it.

“You’ve just said that Mady-chan is looking older than she is!”

“I didn’t mean it like that. It was Jin who’s in shock!”

And we burst into the laugh again.

 

The questions were bizarre sometimes. They asked me who from KAT-TUN would I want to have as a brother, best friend, cousin, boyfriend, husband and son. I took it as a fun and hoped they won’t stop in that point and I won’t have to explain everything. But I had to.

“So you would want to have Koki as your brother…Why’s that?” asked Nakamaru.

“Well…I think he’s the type that would protect me in every situation.” I answered slowly. Koki looked satisfied.

“Taguchi as a best friend…” Nakamaru had his hand on a stop button. He was curious about his role.

“Taguchi would help me when I need him and he could cheer me up.” I answered again.

“Cousin Ueda.” Nakamaru stopped the questions for the third time.

“Cousin again?! Why do I always end up like a cousin?” Ueda-san sighed.

“Well, you always look so… far away.” I tried to explain. “It seems hard to get to you.”

“Do you have this sort of cousins?” asked Kamenashi.

“I’m not seeing them. Maybe once in a few years.” We laughed again, feeling a little sorry for Ueda. But he was so far away again that he probably didn’t mind.

Nakamaru waited for the question Who from KAT-TUN would be your boyfriend? and pushed the button again.

“Kamenashi Kazuya? It’s nothing rare to see here but why?”

I sighed a little because it was something called “thin ice”. Very dangerous.

“He just asks for it. Just look at him.” I tried to laugh and turned to Kame. He looked curious. “Well, seriously…Kame is very caring person and I think it’s what a boyfriend should be like.”

Everyone was silent in their thinking.

“Ok! I think so,” Nakamaru interrupted. “I won’t stop the next questions and I ask you directly.” He turned to me. I started to shiver inside even though I was smiling. “Who would be your husband?”

I took a breath: “My husband would be Nakamaru-san.”

“WHAT?!” Jin spoke up. “It hurts, you know! Does it mean that I’d be your son?”

“You’re really loud today, aren’t you?” Kame mumbled.

“Damare! You’re a boyfriend. I’m a son. I need to know why! Nevertheless I couldn’t be a son of this father!” Jin pointed to Nakamaru’s nose.

“Can I explain?” I laughed.

“Please do!” Nakamaru nodded quickly.

“I thought…” I made a pause. “…that Jin would be my son because it would be nice to be proud of so good looking son.”

“I think it satisfies me…” Jin crossed his hands on his chest.

“Nakamaru would be a good husband because he looks like the most reliable and he would be able to look after his family.” I finished.

“Arigatou gozaimasu!” Nakamaru bowed and smiled at me.

 

Q: Name a thing you think you couldn’t do. A: Dance like j-pop singers

Taguchi stopped it. “Dancing isn’t hard.”

“It is hard. For me.” I sighed a little. “I’m like plank of wood. Even though I learn the steps it just doesn’t look good. I don’t have a talent for it. For any sport. I have an asthma so I haven’t attend PE lessons at my high school and I’ve never did sport except dancing lessons one year ago. I fell in love with dancing but I just can’t do that.”

“It’s all about training you know…” Kamenashi added.

“I know but I got used to rest while everyone is doing some sport. It was because of my disease. And I’ve never felt sorry about it. Till I tried to dance. There were classical dances but I admire j-pop artists for their modern choreography as well. It’s just awesome. But I don’t have genes for it. And the training is harder than it is for classical dances. I would have to have tons of medicaments in order to get through one simple hour of modern dancing lesson.”

“Is your disease so bad?” Nakamaru seemed to be concerned about it.

“I don’t think so. I think that with the right amount of medicaments I could do it.” I laughed. “But I didn’t have an opportunity nor a reason to try it.”

Everyone was silent again.

 

Q: How many languages have you learned in your life? A: 5

Koki stopped this option. “That’s pretty amazing number…”

“The thing I’ve learned them doesn’t mean I can speak them.” I grinned. “Actually I can speak fluently just one of them and that’s English. And I didn’t include my maternal language and Slovak which is almost the same as my maternal language.”

“But you have the basics of the other ones, right?” Kamenashi pointed out.

“Sort of…”

“Which are the other ones?”

“So…except English… French, Russian, Spanish and Japanese.” I counted.

“French? I love French,” Jin closed his eyes.

“Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to speak French. And, what’s more, I think that French loses its magic in the moment you start to learn it.” I added. “It’s because of all the grammar tenses similar to the English ones but somehow much more difficult.”

“That’s true. French is beautiful but very hard to learn.” Koki nodded even though he has never learned this language.

“Do you like French?” Nakamaru asked me.

“I think so…:

“I have wonderful idea!” Jin suddenly shouted. “Would you be able to sing something in French?”

I was staring at him for a while: “Like…now?”

“No, some day. Some song in French. Do you think you could write a song in French?” he continued.

“Well…maybe. I’ve never tried to write a song…” I shrugged.

“We would help you if we knew what’s Jins point…” Kamenashi looked confused.

“My point is…” Jin took a deep breath. “We all love French. And Mady-chan loves j-pop choreography. And we love Mady-chan, right?”

Everyone was looking at him without a clue.

“It’s time for Mady-chan to make a debut as a tarento. So what if she writes a song in French and as some kind of reward, we would do a dancing background for her MV?” I’ve never seen Jin to be so excited.

“And!” It wasn’t all, he continued. “We would teach her some moves so she won’t feel as a plank of wood. And as a reward for us she will dance in our new MV of Don’t You Ever Stop.”

Smiles appeared on their faces. I couldn’t believe it.

“You…what?”

“I can repeat to you…” Nakamaru spoke up. “You will try to compose a song in French because Japanese people love to hear French. We would do a dancing background for you in the MV of this song. And then we will teach you some moves and choreography, and in order to prove yourself you’re not a plank of wood, you will be dancing in our MV of our new song.”

“You’ve got it right.” Jin was obviously proud of his idea.

“Sounds great but…” I wanted to admit something.

“We have a doctor in our team and I think he would be able to figure out some mixture for you. He helped Taguchi with his back problems,” Kamenashi interrupted me.

I couldn’t say anything against this huge cooperation. That voice inside me was shouting that something big is going to happen and I have to give it a try.

 

 

 

 

So this chapter is very long because I couldn’t cut it =) I’m working on the next one right now and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it =)