Final cut

Gaijin Tarento Diary

 

It was August and my first dorama was out. We had to attend lots of promotion evenings and we were invited to variety shows. My first interview belonged to Cream Stew. Shinya Ueda and Teippei Arita – living legends in TV industry. They didn’t invite me to their show but they caught me during the last scenes in the studio. I was very nervous (as always). But their questions were just about me and my new life in Japan. I was still pretty unsure how could things like that happened to someone like me. We laughed a lot during the interview.

Shinya-san appeared to be a producer as well and he told me he’s willing to produce Kokoro no Rocku. I was very happy about it. It wasn’t something like chase after fame for me. It’s just good to know that your work is appreciated. I didn’t say that the shooting was something very hard, I started to like acting. But it was psychically very difficult to me especially in the first weeks.

“How should I put it Mady-san…” mumbled Shinya-san. “It’s very refreshing to see someone like you in here.”

“Arigatou gozaimasu,” I bowed my head.

Teippei-san looked on his watch: “I think we let you back to your work. But you have to promise us that we will see you around.”

“Can I have you manager’s number? Or better…is he here today?” Shinya-san asked.

“Yes, he should be in the main office.” I answered and we headed back to our work.

 

At the same day Kokoro no Rocku was finished the Maou dorama was done too and the crews decided to have their “Last Party” on the same day, time and place. The party took place in K2 club across the street from K2 studio.

I had no clue what should I wear but Mrs. Tanaka helped me. I put on black jeans, white T-shirt with crown logo and metallic vest. I couldn’t forget typical accessories. I took special care especially of a huge ring I received from Matsujun the last day. It looks like it’s made from bronze with an orange gem.

The club was nearly overcrowded but my manager and I became immediately the centre of attention.

“Oi, gaijin tarento!” I heard from one corner. I was sure who that was. Somehow I didn’t like the idea of people calling me gaijin tarento. I started to think about the option I could become one of these admirable people but nothing was sure yet. I’m not a gaijin tarento.

“I go to Daisuke-san,” Tanaka-san referred to me.

I nodded and when he was just few steps away I was caught by Becky.

“Becky-chan?! What are you doing here?” I asked louder than I wanted to.

“I was invited by Daisuke-san. He told me that I supported you during the shooting so I took my chance. I hope you don’t mind Mady-chan.”

“Of course I don’t.” actually I was pretty happy she’s here too. I won’t get lost in these people. She led me to the corner table.

“Mady-chan! Konbanwa!” I heard Oguri-san. I sat next to him on the edge.

“Drunk already?” I had to ask.

He shook his head but still his voice was different. Ikuta-san from the other side of the table was looking at him and grinned. When he realized I was looking at him he bowed his head a little and said: “Otsukaresama dea. I heard it turned out well.”

“Oh…arigatou. Otsukaresama,” I replied. I wanted to ask him if he’s really going to die in the end of Maou, but I stayed silent. He wouldn’t tell me after all. “Where’s Matsujun?” I looked around.

“Matsujun? You’re calling him like that?” Oguri-san tapped me on the shoulder.

“He will come later…” Ikuta-san ignored drunken friend. I started to feel bad around Oguri-san. I hated drunks. Actually I was afraid of them. Ikuta-san was looking at me and when he spotted I’m nervous he invited me to the bar.

On our short way from the table to the bar we’ve met several people. I greeted Takahashi Ai smiling as always. She was busy with talking to the cameraman of our dorama.

“Mady-san!” someone called my name. When I turned I saw bowed person.

“Sakurai Sho desu.” He straightened. “I’m sorry to bother you with work right now but could I make reportage with you for Monday’s News Zero?”

“Excuse me?” I stared at him.

“For news from culture. On Sunday the first episode of Kokoro no Rocku will be aired and for Monday’s news I’d like to make reportage about it. Do you have some free time on Friday?”

It took me a few seconds to grab this piece of information. “I… I think so. Yoroshikon onegaishimasu.” I bowed.

“Great!” he looked pleased. “Now let me buy you a drink.”

“You’re the second in that,” Ikuta-san added and passed me a glass of Cuba libre.

“Oi! Minna! Kochi kochi!” we heard from one of the side tables. So I said goodbye to Ikuta-san and let Sakurai-san to introduce me to another group.

I decided to behave more casual and self-confident. These people showed me there’s really nothing to be afraid of when I was talking to them and that I might have a good reason for some trust in myself. Maybe the amount of alcohol helped me a little but I was never drunk in front of people. Now I was just in better mood.

 

“I know I heard that “Kochi kochi” voice somewhere before!” I laughed when we arrived to the table surrounded by Arashi members.

“What do you mean?” Ninomiya asked.

“This CM for beer,” I remembered him. “Kirin Green Label.” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkeBynGaAvM&feature=related)

“AH! Hontou! You’re good.” he did the thumbs up.

“I have your song in the cell phone!” Aiba-san smiled at me.

“Hontou desu ka?” I was really surprised.

“He’s listening to it a lot. I started to hate this song…” mumbled Matsujun.

“You’re awful as always...” I grinned at him.

“I know, I like you too.”

“These are lines from the dorama…” I shook my head.

“I know but there’s nothing better to say right now.”

The others were watching us for a while and then all of us burst into laugh.

“I think I will watch this dorama of yours…” added Ninomiya.

 

 

 

 

I know this time it’s shorter than usual but I’m preparing another big encounter for you. =)