First meeting

Gaijin Tarento Diary

 

The day after another variety show I was called by Daisuke-san. He waited for me in the entrance of K2 and led me to his office. He was talking about how satisfied he is with Kokoro no Rocku and that he has another dorama in mind. He also praised me for my song which I was supposed to perform on TV that evening and advised me to work on another one.

“People will like it. You’re unusual for them you know.”

I nodded and expected something more. He looked like he has more things he wants to tell me about. Then he slowly started.

“Ah, this new dorama…it won’t be just simple love story. I want it to be really deep.” He was very excited.

“Deep?”  Honestly I could hardly imagine deep Japanese love story.

“Yes! And I’d like to have you in that one!”

Suddenly I felt dizzy. “In…another dorama?”

“Yes!”

“Hontou desu ka?”

“Yes! But…”

“Oh no, not that word…” I sighed.

“But…I thought it could be…you know…more…let’s say delicate…” he didn’t know how to put it.

“Delicate? How much delicate? And what do you mean by that?”

“I thought when you’re adult you could play this kind of scenes…It won’t be nothing dirty. You can’t even think of that in that way!”

I was staring at him a little shocked. But then I remembered that this means really much less than I’m thinking of. Japanese people are really reserved and they wouldn’t risk such a thing to be released.

“I was imagining the most…weird…scene. You will be sitting on the bed and you will be dressed in his shirt for example.” He couldn’t find the right word for it.

For me the words “you will be dressed” were the most important. So it was really exaggerated when he was talking about delicate scenes. It was delicate but just in Japanese way of thinking. To tell the truth I couldn’t imagine myself just in man’s shirt in front of the crew but that voice inside me was telling me that I should give it a shot.

“I think I could try…” I said.

Suddenly he was the luckiest person in the world. “That’s wonderful! I knew you wouldn’t let me down. Script will be finished tomorrow!” he started to walk around his office. “And I need you to be on the first meeting of the crew tomorrow morning.”

“I didn’t know there’s such a thing as a first meeting.”

“It is. You didn’t know because you weren’t on the first meeting of Kokoro no Rocku. You were late.” He stopped for a while.

“Ah…sou-ka…” I mumbled.

“There will be every member of the new crew. From actors to technicians. But if one thing fails, we can’t go on. So nothing is sure yet.”

“What is it?” I started to be interested.

“Well…it’s the main character. We haven’t got the confirmation yet. And I can’t imagine who else could play the role.” He sat again.

“Who is it?”

“I won’t tell you.  Nothing is sure yet,” he repeated. “Tomorrow at 9 am. you will see. Or you won’t.”

 

“So I heard the news…” mumbled Matsujun.

“Hmm…”

“Omedetou for the new role!!” Becky-chan ran into the actors lobby.

“What?! But I don’t have it yet. Daisuke-san said that until they don’t have the confirmation…” I tried to explain and I especially didn’t want Becky-chan to throw her tantrums again.

“You have it. I saw him.” Becky-chan smiled at me.

“Saw who?”

“Don’t tell her. It wouldn’t be surprise,” Matsujun grinned.

“You’re not playing in that thing, are you?”

“You can be calm about it. I won’t be there,” he assured me.

I was thinking all possibilities. “Oguri-san?!”

“Chigau…”

“Ikuta-san?”

“Iie..”

“Someone other from Arashi?...AH! I don’t know!” my head started to spin around.

“Don’t worry, you’ll like him.” Becky-chan was trying to comfort me again.

 

In front of the congress room I met one of the cameramen who was working with us on Kokoro no Rocku.

“Ah, we’re meeting again Mady-san. Yoroshikon onegaishimasu,” he bowed.

“Arigatou. Yoroshikon onegaishimasu,” I bowed too and entered the meeting room.

There were so many people that I gave up on recognize someone until we will be sitting in our places. I was supposed to sit behind the big oval table in the centre of the room with cast and main crew members. The rest of them sat behind us.

I spotted my manager in the corner. Now I remember he was talking about being here. I walked towards him.

“Kazuya-kun, it’s really great to have you here. And Jin-kun as well of course.” I heard Daisuke-san.

I turned my head so quickly that I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. “Kazuya-kun? Jin-kun?” I repeated to myself and tried to spot someone of this name. I spotted just Becky-chan making her way to me.

“What are you doing here Becky-chan? We’re about to start,” I warned her.

“I know! I’ll play in that dorama!” she laughed.

“Oh my…that’s great,” I smiled at her while massaging my shoulder.

“Okay everyone, please be so kind and sit down,” Daisuke-san shouted over the room.

When I arrived to my chair I saw them. And I was sitting between them as I was going to realise. Kamenashi Kazuya and Akanishi Jin.

When they spotted me they smiled and each one shook my hand. Which of them is that most important actor in that dorama? And who’s shirt I’m going to wear?! Even though I was so nervous I was able to look calm. So far so good.

“Let me welcome you at the first meeting,” Daisuke-san began. “And special welcome belongs to Kamenashi Kazuya and Akanishi Jin because without them we won’t do this dorama.” Both of them nodded.

Cut it out, who’s going to be that man of mine?

“And I can’t forget to welcome Mady Troy, Becky and Ayase Haruka who’s also going to be in this cast.” I turned to see Ayase Haruka-san and started to think about doramas she played in.

“Please hand out the script,” Daisuke-san pointed at the stocks of paper. It’s going to be longer than Kokoro no Rocku.

We passed the scripts to each other. Kamenashi-san gave me a sweet smile when he passes the papers. I returned a little smile and passed script to Akanishi-san.

“Arigatou Mady-chan,” he thanked without looking at me. Is he calling me Mady-chan right away?

When I opened a script there was a small note for me saying that this dorama will be totally in Japanese. So no seiyuu for me. I will have to take it as some lyrics of Japanese song that weren’t so hard to learn. I just won’t know what each word means.

So I had a bilingual script telling me what I’m supposed to tell in Japanese and explaining what I’m saying in English. It looks just like more work for me.

“The main pair in this dorama called Chigau Sekai e will be played by Mady-san and Kamenashi-san.” Daisuke-san announced.

I lifted my head too fast again. Kamenashi-san was smiling at me. “Yoroshikon onegaishimasu…” he whispered to me. I bowed my head just as much as the pain let me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Enjoy =)