How power is shown

Mission Makeover
“Seriously, I think school is getting more and more boring,” Jolin said, as she walked down the passage to the cafeteria with Hebe and Ella. It was Friday, and school had just started up after the summer vacation.
“Maybe it’ll get funnier when we start on our new subjects after the fall vacation,” Ella said hopeful. She had been just as bored as the other two this first week after the holiday.
“She doesn’t mean the actual school, it’s the social situation,” Hebe said. The girls had a scaring ability to read each other’s thoughts.
“Oh, now I know. Yeah, of course there are new juniors we can make liking us, but we also did that last year…” Ella said. They had now reached the canteen in the cafeteria. They each took a tray and started filling on food.
“And it isn’t even necessary to make them anymore, our fans can do that from now on,” Hebe said, and glanced at a group of younger students who waved very energetically at the three of them. Hebe waved shortly back and sent them a glamorous smile. This obviously made their day.
“It’s amazing how small actions that are needed to stay popular,” she said.
“Hey George! Nice shirt!” Ella yelled at a guy who came by. He tugged his sleeve and smiled.
“Yep, I know what you mean,” Ella said. They had now filled their trays and headed for a free table, while people from left and right tried to make them sit at their table.
“Those small comments are simply enough. But I feel like doing a good deed, giving self-confidence out for free,” Jolin said. They finally found a free table, and sat down.
“Yay, Friday-cake!” a familiar voice said behind them.
“Hello, Show, nice to… wow, you are really stylish today!” Jolin pointed out, when the guy sat down on the other side of the table with his tray - filled to the edge with cake. Jolin was right; his clothes were perfectly matched and fashionable, and his hair was like set by a god. That was also what the others in the school called him – Fashion God.
Poor thing that his girly actions and way of talking, together with the well-known fact that he was gay, spoiled it for the sighing herd of girls who looked dreamily after him.
“How can you keep such a good figure when you eat so much cake?” Ella asked unbelievingly.
“Dance practice helps a lot,” he said, and stuck his fork into a big piece of chocolate cake.
“Why do you eat that piece with a fork?” Hebe asked, and frowned. “You can just as well eat it with your fingers!”
“Eww, that’s too unhygienic! I just had a manicure yesterday,” he said. The girls weren’t surprised at all, as they were used to chat about girl-stuff with him. They were actually pretty happy to have a friend like him, a boy they could be together with without people expecting them to be more than friends.
“Well-well,” Hebe said. A typical phrase from her.
Just at that moment, another girl walked into the cafeteria. Even though she tried to make herself invisible, everybody’s eyes were immediately turned towards her.
“Well-well, see who we have here,” Hebe said.
The mood in the cafeteria had changed. Many was now whispering and pointing at the girl, who still tried to make herself as tiny as possible.
“Hey, Uglina!” a guy shouted at the girl.
“Tch,” Show uttered irritated. “Maybe she is a disgrace to the fashion world, but they still shouldn’t treat her like .”
The girl quickly took some food on her tray, but spilled a pack of noodles on the floor and down on her brown dress. She looked embarrassed and started to bow down to clean it up (after the canteen lady with a strict gaze had handed her a rag), which only made her drop all the other food on her tray.
The whole canteen was laughing. She blushed, quickly swept it up, took a small piece of cake and sat down in a corner.
“That Selina-girl…” Hebe, Jolin, Ella and Show weren’t laughing. Hebe continued:
“I feel a bit sorry for her. All right, with those glasses and clothes, it would be weird if people didn’t make fun of her. But it is still sad that those norms are so deep-rooted.”
Ella and Jolin nodded in agreement. The girl, Selina, was quickly and clumsily eating her cake. Some people were still laughing.
The guy who had shouted before now walked over with his group of supporting friends.
“Good day, Uglina… Or maybe “dirty day” would match better on a tramp like you,” he said mockingly. The guys behind him laughed. Selina blushed and looked down at the table.
“What’s with the dress? Did someone pee on it? Maybe the cows in the shed you live in.”
More laughing. More blushing. She looked like she tried to hold back tears.
“What kind of necklace is that?” he said, and pointed at her neck. The chain stood in big contrast to the rest of her outfit; it was shiny and perfect in its form. It looked like real gold.
“Isn’t it worth more than all your family’s possessions in all?” he sneered.
Show shook his head. The girls continued eating. But suddenly, Ella looked up.
“Jolin, didn’t you say you were bored?” she asked, like she had gotten a plan.
“Yes – what were you thinking?” Jolin answered.
“Just if…” A big roar of laughter drowned out the rest of Ella’s words. The bullying guy had ‘accidentally’ pushed Selina’s cake down on the floor. She now had tears in her eyes from anger.
She bended down to take it up again, and her hair brushed the hand of the guy, who dramatically jumped back.
“Eww! Now I’ll get infected from lice and what other kinds of un-discovered animal-species that live in there!” he shouted. A bigger roar of laughter.
Selina tried to ignore them, even though it now looked like the red color would never be able to get away from her face again.
The guys finally left her alone and walked laughing away. They walked to Ella, Hebe, Jolin and Show’s table.
“Hey Jolin! What do you think about Uglina’s meal today? It was quite pitiful when it was splattered down her dress,” he said, and laughed. He only received evil gazes from Ella, Hebe and Show. Jolin said coldly:
“I think you are more pitiful, when you need five friends to cover your back while bullying an innocent girl who is younger than you. Weak.”
“Oooh,” the crowd uttered anticipating.
“So that’s what you think? You defend her?!” the guy said, now a bit upset – he probably thought that he would only get support from the most popular group in the school.
“Come on, Joe, don’t you think you are the feeble one here? I admire Selina for her courage and self-control,” Hebe said.
“Yeah, as if! She’s just dirt on my shoes!” Joe said. They could hear Selina sniffle, and watch her wipe her eyes with her sleeve.
“Then you give the dirt on your shoes a lot of attention. Get away, or watch how your nose can become dirt on my shoes,” Show said, with a lofty and cold tone. Joe grumbled, and walked away with his group of friends, who blindly followed his lead and grumbled too. But they had too much respect for Show to discuss with him, and too scared of the crowd to fight with the girls.
“Thank you, Show,” Hebe said, and scowled at Joe.
“He is so terrible. He even thinks it shows his power by bullying someone who is already at the bottom,” Jolin said.
“Exactly,” Ella said. “Back to what I said before – you were bored, right? Why don’t we try to make Selina into a popular girl?” she continued, with a twinkle in her eyes.
“What?!” Show said, and slammed his palms down at the table. “Na-ah! Look at her clothes!”
“Are you sure, Ella? Isn’t she already like… expelled from society?” Hebe asked, and frowned.
“You just defended her!” Ella said with affected wronging.
“Yeah, I defended her, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll make her popular! The crowd loves to laugh at her, how can she become someone they would laugh with?” Hebe said.
“I think Ella has a point. Joe doesn’t show anything by bullying her, other than that he is desperate for attention. If we could make her popular, it would really show our power,” Jolin said.
“Well-well, you’re right… And it would be nice to help her, ‘cause she seems pretty nice,” Hebe declared.
“But…!” Show said, still with his palms at the table.
“But what?” the girls asked at the same time.
“But… Her clothes! Her hair! Her glasses!” Show said, and glanced worried at Selina, who still sat in the corner.
“That’s why we need your help!” Ella said, and now got a fanatic twinkle in her eyes.
“I can imagine; big trip to the mall, new clothes, hairstyle and contact lenses – a total makeover!”
Show looked at Selina.
“Maybe she could actually look pretty good with some nice clothes and such…” he said hesitating.
“Great! We count on you then. I can teach her some charisma, Hebe can teach her behavior and manners so she won’t be that clumsy, and Jolin can teach her to act and perform in front of many people. And voila; we’ll have the new school-musical star!” Ella said. Hebe, Jolin and Show agreed.

Selina walked home alone, as always. She was still downhearted by the scene at lunch that day, but was actually getting used to it. It still wasn’t nice, though.
And her day wasn’t the least over yet, even though she would wish that she could just relax with a good book for the rest of the afternoon; but she still had to clean at her mother’s working place, try to make her dad a little more sober and make dinner for them all. Luckily, she didn’t have any siblings. It was hard enough that her dad came home drunk every night and her mother worked to her limits to earn money for them all. Her mother was the person Selina loved the most. She was working so hard, but still wouldn’t let Selina do more work than cleaning, because she was afraid that Selina would get ill.
Selina’s dad only came into her life a few years ago. He had left her mother when she was pregnant, and was then returned when Selina was 15 and claimed that he had custody of Selina. He probably just wanted someone to earn money for him, and a home to return to when he had spent all the money on beer.
She dropped her back in her room and prepared to go to her mother’s workplace, when her phone suddenly rang.
“Hello?” she asked surprised. Nobody used to call her, if it was not for making prank calls.
“Hello, Selina! It’s Ella, from school, you know. I think it was so mean of Joe to offend you that way at lunch today,” a voice answered.
“Uhm… Really?” Selina asked. This was nearly too good to be true.
“Yeah, and my friends agree with me. We thought it could be nice for you to, like, stop being the one everybody just steps on. Would you like to shop with me, Hebe, Jolin and Show in the mall tomorrow? It would be nice to have your company,” Ella said. She nearly couldn’t believe it. The school’s most popular group, inviting her to shop with them?
“R-really? Me?” Selina asked confused.
“Yeah, we can’t let idiots like Joe mock you anymore. It has been going on for too long time, and I can’t stand it anymore,” another voice said in the phone.
“Thanks, Hebe… Anyway, 10 a.m. tomorrow? Is it okay with you?” Ella asked friendly.
“Yes… But are you sure…?”
“Straighten your back and say goodbye to your life as bully-object!” another new voice said.
“Jolin, I’m talking, okay?!” Ella said to the person. Was it a joke?
She could hear some rough and tumble over the phone in the other end, before a strong boy-voice said:
“Selina, we look forward to see you. Straighten your back, smile, and make the world yours,” he said. She could feel the heath fill her body, like she had drunken a cup of hot, relaxing chocolate.
“O-okay,” she said. She didn’t know what else to say.
“See you!” the guy said.
“Show, give me the phone back NOW! It’s mine!” she could hear Ella shout, before they hung up.
Wasn’t this too good to be true? She could imagine herself stand like an idiot in the mall, all alone, while people pointed at her and whispered about the good joke that Ella and the others had made on her. But on the other hand, those girls (and guy) had defended her in front of Joe the same day, and Show’s voice only asked her to trust him. She would go.

***
First chapter!
Hope you like it :] please please please (x100) leave a comment! :D
Hope you will follow and support this fanfic. Trust me; this is just the start of it :p
- Blitz