A strange family

Mission Makeover
LAST CHAPTER:
He led her to the bench where he had thrown the pizza bags, and she sat down.
“Now tell me, how did it end up like this?”
-------------
“...and then he threw m-me out of the h-house when I d-didn’t tell w-where I hid the b-box...” Selina sobbed. She had told the whole story from when she came home, and her dad had been waiting to yell at her. Show sat behind her and listened in silence. When he could feel that she had finished the story, he took out the pizzas.
“What a good thing that I bought this on my way to here,” he said, and handed her a piece of pizza. She looked at it a second before she took it, and slowly started eating.
“This is not... my fault, is it? He seemed pretty angry yesterday,” he continued a bit nervous, and took a piece for himself. He really hoped that it wasn’t because of him.
“N-no, it’s because of my mother... My f-father thinks I know where s-she is, and just don’t want to t-tell...” she said.
“Alright, take it easy... It is him who is wrong, not you,” Show said soothing.
“Here, eat the pizza, I also bought some cola...”
They ate a bit in silence, before Selina said something again.
“Why was it actually you came to my house?” she asked.
“Are you angry?” He still really didn’t know what to do.
“No, I’m happy... It just seems too much of a coincidence,” she said. She had got control over her voice again.
“I thought I would buy some pizza for you, so you didn’t have to cook tonight. It was actually quite much of a coincidence that I came right at this time,” he answered. He praised the long queue at the pizzeria.
“Oh...”
After some time, she suddenly raised her head with a worried look.
“But what am I going to do now?! I don’t have anywhere else to live, and the money my mother gave me isn’t enough to rent a place,” she said worried.
“Let’s not think about that now, you can stay at my place until we find out what to do,” he said to calm her down.
“Really?” She looked at him with big, glossy eyes, and the most innocent expression.
“Y-yeah... of course...” He quickly looked away.
“Ella, Jolin and Hebe are coming over tomorrow, we can discuss it then, and my parents just love to have visitors.”
“How great! Thank you!” she said. “Can I have another piece of pizza?”
“Of course, this one is for you,” he said, and handed one of the pizzas over.
“How did you have time to pack your suitcases when you father wanted you to get out of the house?” Show asked.
“Oh, I packed it a long time ago. I kinda knew something like this would happen,” she said sadly.
“Why didn’t you leave before this happened then?” he asked surprised.
“I still hoped my dad was a better person that I thought... But now I see that he isn’t,” she said bluntly.
“Well, we can’t sit here all night, can we? Let’s go, we can eat the rest when we get home.” He took the suitcases, one in each hand. Selina took the pizzas.
“You really don’t have to take them, I can carry them myself,” she quickly said, but he didn’t let go.
“I hope you have the clothes we bought,” he said. The truth was that he really didn’t know how to respond to this; he had helped the girls out with boy problems, self-confidence problems and so on. But he had never handled have-lost-mother-and-got-thrown-out-of-own-house-problems before.
“Yes.”

“Hey Glenn, I’m home!” Show yelled as soon as they got inside.
“Where have you been? Is someone with you?” his step-mother yelled back.
“Can Selina stay here overnight?” he asked. How could he be so straightforward when asking his mother if a girl could stay with him overnight?
“Of course, but why so late? The girls use to be here the whole afternoon before...” She stopped in the door opening to the living room when she saw Selina’s suitcases.
“God, Show, is she moving in?” Glenn asked surprised. Selina now knew where he had the straightforwardness from.
“Uhm... Her father threw her out of the house,” he said, and took off his shoes.
“What?! That can’t be true!” She looked at Selina. Selina nodded.
“How terrible! An adult man? And his own daughter! Of course she can stay here,” she said, mostly to herself. She started to carry the suitcases to the living room, where Show’s father sat and read a newspaper.
“What is happening?” he asked.
“Selina got kicked out of her house by her own father,” Glenn said.
“Selina? How come I’ve never heard about you before?” Show’s father looked like a friendly and calm person. Selina could recognize the voice. It was the same comfy, soothing voice that Show used when he should persuade her to do something, give her confidence or just calm her down. Show had used it just a while ago when he should reassure her when she was crying. She could also remember hearing it somewhere else, but she couldn’t remember where or when.
“They became friends not long time ago,” Glenn answered. Did Show just tell his step-mom everything? It seemed like it.
“Welcome then, Selina... Is she going to sleep in the guest room or Show’s room?” he asked totally calm. What was with this strange family?
“What do you want, Selina?” Glenn asked her. Selina just stood confused in the middle of it.
“Uh... Uhm... I don’t know...” she stammered.
“Just give her the guestroom then,” Show’s father said, and returned to his newspaper. They all acted like this was something that happened every day.
“Have you eaten dinner? You didn’t eat anything before you went out, Show,” Glenn said while they carried the suitcases to the guestroom.
“We’ve eaten pizza, I bought it on the way to her house,” Show said and smiled.
“I have some cakes left from the bakery today, so if you help Selina make herself comfy, I’ll come up with them,” she said.
“Okay!” Show said happily, grasped the two suitcases and walked up the stairs. Selina followed in silence.
“Alright, it’s here!” he said, opened a door and the lights inside. It was a big, bright room; not as big as Show’s room, but at least two times bigger than her own. By that thought, she became a bit embarrassed and looked down on the floor.
“What’s wrong?” Show asked when he saw her expression.
“What’s not wrong?” she asked back, harsher than she wanted.
“No... Sorry, that was wrong. It’s just... it is really nice of you to give me a place to stay,” she quickly changed it.
“Oh... okay,” he said, and stared at her in a weird way before he asked her to sit down on the couch. He sat down next to her, in the same second as when someone knocked the door.
He got on his feet again and opened.
“Then there are cakes!” Glenn said, and placed the tray on the coffee table.
Selina stared overwhelmed at it.
There were tea and hot chocolate and at least four different types of cakes.
“Yay, midnight snacks!” Show said happily, and started eating. His mood changed as soon as he saw the cakes.
“Snacks...?” Selina repeated.
“Just eat what you can and leave the rest for him,” Glenn said to her with a glint in her eyes.
“I’m nowt a dowg,” Show said unclear with his mouth stuffed with food. Selina took a cup of tea.
“Will you tell me what had happened, Selina?” Glenn said friendly, yet serious. This caught Selina unawares. Show stopped munching for a second, then sank and started saying:
“Mom, I don’t think she wants to...”
Selina cut him off.
“It’s okay.”
He looked surprised and confused at her. He had somehow got the feeling that he carried a secret, and had expected that she would not want to tell. The other girls would in her place choose not to explain, he was positive about that. Selina was sure different.
He kept quiet and continued eating while Selina told the story to Glenn. Glenn listened concentrated. When Selina was done, she looked inscrutable at her.
“I think you should just get some sleep, and then we can find a solution tomorrow,” she said.
“I’ll take the tray with me. Show, not too late...” she continued, took the... empty tray and walked out.
They sat a bit in silence. Selina wondered how Show could eat cakes so fast. Show wondered what he was supposed to do now.
“Well... uhm... do you need help?” he tried.
“I don’t think right now,” she answered tired.
“Okay... ask if there’s something, my room is in the end of the corridor.”
“I know, I’ve been here before.” She actually just wanted to be alone right now.
He looked at her expression. It felt like a really long time since he walked out to buy pizzas.
“Goodnight,” Selina suddenly said.
“Oh... goodnight,” he said. Now he could see the hints, and stood up to walk out.
“Show,” Selina suddenly said. He turned around and looked at her.
“Thank you,” she said, and looked him in the eyes.
“No problem.” When he walked down the corridor, he thought about it. Why hadn’t he noticed before? How rare it was that she looked one in the eyes. She mostly looked down when someone talked to her. She had looked him in the eyes two times this evening.
He suddenly realized something. Selina wasn’t only going to change in appearance, manners and behavior. There was much more to come.

***
Yay, new chap :)
Hope you liked it.
Thanks so much for all your nice comments! I’ll answer as soon as I have the time. (I strive to answer all the comments I get)
Please please please please please (x1000000) comment, it would seriously make me SO happy :D
Wow, my subtitles are so uncreative lately... hope you can bear with it xD
- Blitz