Dance your Life

Mission Makeover
“Gosh, luckily it was only water,” Hebe said.
She, Selina and Jolin had gone to the toilet. Ella was too busy with Chun, and she was also in the committee, so she had to prepare for the upcoming dance competition.
Until now, there had only been soft music, and the principal had waited for everyone to come and find their partners and friends before officially opening the ball.
As Show was the one to hand over the prize to the Queen of the Christmas ball, he also had some matters to discuss with the committee.
Jiro had left. Show tried to look like he didn’t care, but he was actually very deeply touched by it. But he stood by his words. Jiro had never been a brother to him.

Right when Jolin, Selina and Hebe went in again, the principal called everyone over the microphone. He was on the stage to welcome everybody.
“Welcome, dear students! Tonight, we won’t be students and teachers, but on the other hand a bunch of happy, equal people ready to party.”
Applause.
“As a lot of people have worked hard to make this prom possible, it would be disrespectful to them and everyone else, if you don’t follow the few rules we’ve made, to make this prom a good experience for all of us.”
The crowd quieted a bit down.
“First of all, no alcohol. Second, no smoking indoor. Third, no fights. Fourth… I can’t remember it. Five; take care of each other, and sixth; have fun!”
The last “rule” was met by loud applause, and the DJ some faster music.
A lot of people came over to ask Selina if she was okay, which made Selina think about that they would have laughed of her just half a year ago. The big change was nearly making her dizzy.

After Jiro had left, she was feeling free, even though it was a bit embarrassing not to have any partner.
The girls had now left to dance with their partners, and Selina was left alone at the bar, where people still gave her a lot of attention.
By now, probably everyone knew about Show and Jiro’s family relation, and probably everyone also talked about it.
But as the thoughts were led away by the music and the dreamy atmosphere, it was soon less important. Mid-terms exams were over and it was soon Christmas.
Selina sighed. It was her first Christmas without her mother. At least she had Glenn… and Show. Show’s father was also feeling more and more like a father to her – more than her own father had ever done. Especially after the incident with Jiro and the company, he had been really supporting and protecting. He, Glenn and Show’s united forces to over-protect her were nearly becoming too much sometimes. But it made her feel loved.

Right when she was thinking about Show, and her thoughts were getting farer out than she would allow them, he joined her at the bar.
“Why are you standing here for nothing?” he asked her smiling.
“What else should I do?”
“Join the party!” He threw his arms halfway up in the air, before he noticed how loud he had shouted. People were staring, but soon turned away.
“I’m not in the mood for it.”
“Come on! Look at all those people dancing. The dance competition is starting in five minutes, and all pairs have to join,” he said, and grinned nearly fanatically.
“Do they have to?” Selina asked worried, thinking of Jiro.
“No, but it would be a shame if they didn’t. And with our plan for you in mind, it would be destroying a lot if you didn’t join,” he smirked. What was he thinking? He knew Jiro had already left, and therefore she didn’t have a partner. And it wasn’t like him to directly urge her to have even the smallest interaction with Jiro – that he did it now was unbelievable.
“Show, have you been drinking?” she asked. He looked confused at her.
“No, you know alcohol is forbidden.”
“Then how can you have forgotten that Jiro was my partner, and he already left? And after what happened, it’s impossible for me to join a dance competition with him, even if he still was here,” she said.
He looked disbelieving at her for a few seconds before he stopped gaping and flashed a smile.
“What the hell are you thinking? That I would want you to dance with Jiro? Never, my silly friend,” he laughed.
“Then what? I don’t have a partner, therefore I can’t join.” It was now Selina’s turn to be confused.
Show sighed theatrically.
“Well, knowing that as a fact, together with the fact that I don’t have a partner either, together with the fact that I want to and you need to join the competition, I think there’s only one thing to do.” He smiled wryly.
Finally, she understood what he meant. Her face brightened in a smile, and she nodded excited, just when the principal stepped on to the stage again.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, and all of you who don’t know what you are yet. It’s a pleasure for me to announce that the dance competition is about to begin!”
Everyone cheered, and some whistled.
“There are a few rules. All competitors must be in groups of two. It can be boy-girl pairs, boy-boy pairs or girl-girl pairs. I’m sorry for those who don’t fit the categories.”
There was a scattered laughter.
“We, the committee, strongly urge as many as possible to join. Every competing pairs start on the dance floor, and as a start there’ll be played three songs where the judges will walk around amongst you and pick out whom to continue in the next round. If you get pricked on the back, please back out and sit down somewhere. Those who aren’t pricked on the back stay on the dance floor, where the next round will take two songs. Only three pairs will be in the final round, which will continue on this stage,” he pointed to where he was standing.
There was dead silent. Everyone was eagerly listening.
“When the five finalists are on the stage, there’ll only be one song for them to show their best. Good luck. After the next song, the competition will begin.”

When the principal had finished, there was a big disturbance, as everyone had to find their partners. Not surprising, nearly all the pairs were boy-girl.
However, everyone near Selina was staring at her with a mix of curiosity, pity and worry.
Show smirked, made a gesture for her to take his arm, which she followed, and they went smiling through the crowd where people started whispering.
“She is… with Show?”
“I thought she wasn’t gonna…”
“Well, Jiro left…”
“She’s the first ever to compete with him!”
Selina felt a bit proud, but also a bit embarrassed. Show was smiling, not only with his mouth, but with his eyes.

Some of the teachers were judges. Ella and Chun had to hand over the award, as they were in the committee, so they didn’t compete.
Hebe and Jolin were dancing with their partners, and both looked really happy. They were standing near each other when the competition finally started.
To nobody’s surprise, it started out with pop songs.
“What should I do?” Selina asked, half-shouting because the music was so loud.
“We danced to this one before, remember?”
It was Shan Shan Re Ren Ai by Elva Hsiao, and Selina suddenly remembered that they, a long time ago, had choreographed a dance to this.
“But it’s too long ago!”
“Try!” Show smiled.
To her surprise, Selina discovered that even though she didn’t remember the steps, her body did, and with help from Show, it felt like the easiest thing in the world.

After the first song they had some seconds to look around.
“Look, Cyndi and Joe are out!” Selina jollily yelled. She was a bit out of breath, but the more she danced, the happier she got.
“Yes, and Calvin and his partner!” Show said. She could see he felt the same way, but whenever he looked at her, there was something behind his gaze she couldn’t figure out, no matter how hard she tried.
The next (pop)song came on, but they hadn’t danced to this before.
Just when she was about to panic, Show whispered into her ear:
“Freestyle.”
She followed his lead, and eventually found it to be less scary than she had thought at first. After all, they had been practising all kinds of dance steps for months, so it was just about pulling out some of those. Making it look good was a lot harder, but Show’s expertise on this point saved her.
In the third song, Hebe and Lee Wei were taken out, but they didn’t look the least sad. They were both laughing, and Selina caught a fast glimpse of them kissing a few seconds later.
Understatement. Eating each other’s faces.
Selina commented it laughing to Show, who didn’t answer, but just laughed back with an inscrutable expression behind.

When the principal announced that the second round started, only ten couples were left. Jolin and Jay were one of them, Selina and Show another.
The ten pairs moved closer together, and those who were out of the competition made a big circle around them.
There had long been a lot of space around Show and Selina, as they were dancing so fast and with occasional big and powerful moves, so it was a bit dangerous to be too near them. Some people (including Show’s fan club) had also found it a better occupation to watch them instead of sitting on the sideline.
When all ten pairs were gathered in the middle, the next song came on.
And to everyone’s surprise, a tango.
A fast glance between Show and Selina decided everything. They had been practising tango as one of the first things. Even though Show realized how hard it was for him to lay his arms around Selina, it made him concentrate harder on the dance.
Only half of the couples seemed to know what tango was actually about, and when the last song of the second round began, only five were left.
In big contrast to the tango, a techno song came on; Stamp on the Ground by ItaloBrothers.
Show looked at her. She looked back.
They both remembered a Saturday evening, where Show accidentally had found a video with a style of dance called ‘Jump style’. After showing it to Selina, they had spent all night on learning it.
“Series 3,” Show said, Selina nodded, and they started right on beat.
People around them backed off not to get kicked (literally), while the other pairs were trying their best to find a way to dance fast.
Except for Jolin and Jay. Show caught her looking at him, after which she whispered something to Jay, who nodded, and they both stepped out of the competition – to much surprise for the viewers.
Hebe and Lee Wei had come back to earth, and also cheered on them.
“Series 1,” Selina said, and Show followed her.
The judges were arguing about who to exclude from the competition. When they had seemed to agree, they went to the principal, who took the microphone when the song was finished.
The crowd was cheering.
“I will now announce the three finalists in random order. At first; Alice and Alex.”
A girl in a red and black dress walked to the stage with a guy in black suit while the audience cheered.
“Second: Show and Selina!”
Selina got so happy that she immediately jumped forward and hugged Show tightly. He hugged her back, and they also went to the stage.
She stepped on to the stage with a sudden fearless, intoxicated feeling running through her body. After what she had gone through in the past, this shouldn’t be able to scare her.
The crowd went crazy, and Hebe and Jolin were the loudest. Ella gave them thumbs up behind the principal’s back.
“The last couple through to the finale round; Michael and Monica!”
The happy couple went to the stage while Selina saw Angela, Cyndi’s friend, get so angry that she kicked her partner and ran crying out.
When the crowd had quiet down again, the principal happily took the word.
“Looks like all we got here are initial-couples!” he shouted. The crowd cheered again.
“Well, this round will be intense. Only one song to give your all. I will ask the audience to cheer as much as you can, scream, yell, whistle, as long as nobody gets hurt. SO! Dear competitors, concentrate and give it all you’ve got. Dear audience, give your favourites all the support they need. The final song; NOW!”

The DJ set on Murder on the Dance Floor by Sophie Ellis Blexter, and everyone started screaming.
Show had gotten a shock from Selina’s hug. Why did she have to test him this hard? Talking about kissing, and then hugging him. But he was soon called back from his thoughts by Selina’s burning gaze.
He had given confidence to her, and now she paid it back. He listened to catch the beat for a few seconds.
They started dancing as the first, and when they began, it felt like they were thinking with one mind, and only one.
The other two pairs quickly started dancing too, but it seemed harder for them to find a style.
Show and Selina, on the other hand, were flying around all over the stage. It was pop mixed with tango mixed with whatever came to their minds, and it worked. On the crowd, at least. The judges were discussing intensely, and pointing to each of the couples after turn.
When the song finally ended, the principal called all three pairs to the front of the stage while the judges argued.
“Please calm a bit down, everybody! We’re now only awaiting the judges’ decision. In a few minutes, we’ll know the winner!”
People kept quiet. When it looked like the judges finally had made a choice, they called Ella and Chun and informed them about it. Chun nodded, and Ella smiling held the trophy.
The principal gave them the microphone.
Selina could feel her nerves taking over her brain. She was already sweating, but now the cold sweat ran down from her forehead. Unexpectedly, Show took her hand squeezed it a bit to calm her down. This also got people whispering.
“Hello everybody!” Ella shouted cheerfully.
“We will now announce the WINNERS of the Christmas dance competition! Everyone has done a good job, but the three pairs next to me all deserve the prize. However, there’s only ONE prize I can give. And by the decision of our dear judges, Chun will now announce the winner!”
There was still dead silent when Chun took the mic.
“Alright. The winners of the dance competition are…”
The DJ played a drum solo. The crowd started cheering on the different couples in the pause Chun made, before he finally announced it.
“Show and Selina!”
Selina would have fainted in surprise if Show hadn’t caught her in a hug, and the crowd went completely crazy. Jolin and Hebe went on stage to join the hug, shortly followed by Ella.
Selina could feel Show’s heartbeat, and closed her eyes for a second, when she anyways couldn’t see anything because of the three girls.
When they finally let go, and Show held up the trophy, she caught a glimpse of something in the crowd.
Someone.
The person she had at least expected to see.
Applauding and cheering for her.
She immediately jumped down from the stage and keenly went through the crowd. She felt the tears run down her cheeks, while people stared surprised after her. They were mumbling and whispering, and Show had gone after her, because he thought something was wrong.
When Selina reached the person, she still couldn’t believe her own eyes. But she had been right.
“Mom!” she cried out, and threw her arms around her.
It was really her mom.
How could she be here? Why here? Why now?
But right at the moment, the questions weren’t that important. The important thing was, that she was finally hugging her mother, after so many months apart.
Show reached them, and Jolin, Ella and Hebe also ran to them.
The crowd was now whispering trying to find out what was going on, as only a few had heard Selina’s shout. But those who had quickly passed it on.

“Where have you been?” Selina asked through her tears of happiness.
She, her mother (Lydia), Show and Jolin were in the wardrobe, aka the lower gym. Hebe and Ella were getting some drinks for them. Ella wasn’t involved in the award ceremony later of the night.
Selina and her mom were sitting at a spring mattress, Jolin was lying over a big, green bouncy ball and Show was sitting on a trapeze in chair-height.
Selina’s mom took her hand.
“I’m so sorry for leaving you. I couldn’t forgive myself all the time I was gone. I went home as soon as I could,” she said.
“I… I left dad,” Selina sniffled.
“Oh, I wouldn’t have expected you to stay with him… that bastard,” she said, but suddenly looked anxious. “Did you find… Guo Ni?”
“Yes!” Selina brightened in a smile. “She’s Show’s step-mother, and her English name is Glenn.”
“Your dance partner?” Lydia looked curiously at Show. He nodded.
“My best friend,” Selina corrected her.
“Hey!” Jolin broke in.
“Well, one of my best friends,” she laughed. “But… why did you have to leave? Where did you go?”
Her mom sighed.
“I believe I owe you an explanation. You see, when I was fifteen, Glenn and I joined the Rebolzy. You probably don’t know about it, which nobody should. I hope I can trust your friends too, when I now say that it’s a secret organization of a character which I can’t explain. Both our parents were in it too. But when Glenn ran away, she… The guy she fell in love with was an enemy to the Rebolzy. When we told her, she wouldn’t listen, and therefore decided to elope with him. She was restricted from everything concerning the Rebolzy as soon as she left.”
Show was listening intensely. Glenn had never talked about anything about this. She hadn’t ever spoken about past lovers.
He looked at Selina, who was also listening. Her teary eyes made them glow in a way, where he just couldn’t resist looking at them.
Then a thought hit him. He had been so deeply in with her for such a long time – but he had never thought about how she saw him. She described him as “her best friend”. He was ready by her side whenever she needed support, but he didn’t know if she actually wanted someone else to be there.
His anger for Jiro had made him blind to him. He knew Selina was hurt. He didn’t knew how deeply she was hurt.
Then he remembered Jolin’s words about that Selina and Jiro never really had been in love. But what if she was wrong? And this still didn’t mean that she could like him – after all, she probably still believed he was gay.
He sighed deeply, which Jolin noticed. Her gaze made it obvious that she nearly could read his thoughts while he was looking at Selina, who was intensely listening to her mother’s talking.
“Our whole family lost contact with her, and I’ve missed her so much through all these years. We weren’t twins, but we thought in the same ways. I believe we were closer than twins,” Lydia continued.
Show bit his lip when he heard the word “twins”.
“I’m not certain about what happened to her. I heard rumours about that the guy left her as soon as he found out that she was kicked out of the Rebolzy.
But what is conclusive in this case, my dear daughter… As a member of the Rebolzy, one has to be able to take off whenever and to wherever it is needed. I have been on two missions before, and that was when I was seventeen and twenty-one. When I then had you, they tried not to put me on more missions. But they needed a large number of experienced members this time, and I was called to Europe…”
“Omg! Did you visit Paris?” Ella and Hebe had arrived, and had only heard the last sentence. A short glance from Jolin and Show told them that quietness was needed.
“I was called to Europe. I would’ve said no, but… Our money situation wasn’t that good, and the pay was great. If I fulfilled this mission, we wouldn’t have to live with your father anymore, and we could live in a bigger house. I had just called off the mission when you came home with new hair and clothes, and I realized how much you needed a freer life, a chance to be young. I called them again and said yes to go on the mission. I hope you can forgive me…” She embraced Selina, who was crying. But then she smiled, and joked:
“That perhaps on exact how huge the pay was.”
Lydia laughed nervously and hugged her again.
Hebe and Ella looked around at them, only understanding that their own arms were full of ice-cold drinks that they were about to drop. Jolin and Show quickly came to their rescue.

They all drank the soft drinks and stayed in the wardrobe for another quarter, Selina wanting to know everything about where her mother had been, and Show secretly wanting to know everything about Glenn. When he looked at Lydia, he suddenly saw how much they were alike. And how much Selina looked like them both. And how beautiful they all were; especially the last.
Ella then reminded them that a party was going on upstairs, and they all went up.
Lydia kept to the back of the room where she could speak to the teachers, while the five others finally had come into party mood.
Everyone wanted to ask Selina questions, but she turned them all down. Now was only about having a good time; and fulfilling Mission Makeover, even though the power was now laid into the hands of the judges, who were to find the Queen of the Christmas prom.

After dancing for a long time, Selina and Show went to sit down next to Ella and Chun. Jay, Jolin, Hebe and Lee Wei were still dancing.
When they sat down, Ella and Chun sent some very clear signals that they were disturbing, but Selina just started talking.
“I love the decorations! It’s like this is all a dream,” she said. It actually felt like a dream to her; she nearly couldn’t believe that her mother had come back.
“Agree. And weren’t the winners of the dance competition wonderful?” Show joked. Selina nodded laughing, before Ella gave her another we-are-in-the-middle-of-something-here glance.
Noticing that Ella and Chun were holding hands, Selina dragged Show away again.
“Why that?” he laughed, and looked back at the couple. “I want to tease them.”
“Hebe and Lee Wei will be much easier to tease – look, there they are!” She pointed at the two, but before Show could answer, the principal took the microphone.
“And now, ladies and gentlemen, we’re going to find the Queen of the Christmas ball!” he shouted.
The crowd cheered.
“I will now announce the nominees…”

***
Alright, how long was this chapter again? xD
I have been working on a school project all week, and still can’t really do anything physically challenging due to my foot. But I did anyways, yesterday, I had to walk twenty minutes through Dyrehaven to see a play, and then walk all the way back again xD it may not sound as much, but with a “broken” foot … :/
But it was kinda worth it – it was a REALLY great play, and it was outdoors, so they could use horses and stuff.
Hope you enjoyed this chapter :D for those (only) two ( :[ ) persons who commented last time, I found a pretty glitter for you :3
http://www.purrfx.com/glitters/thxcomment/thanksforcomment-yrae02.gif
It’s pink <3 hope you like it.
I updated even though there wasn’t enough comments, because I was in a good mood :) (and wanted to sleep xD)
And… NEXT chapter is the FINAL chapter!
How soon you get it depends on how soon you COMMENT :D
(and please… comments make me so happy, that I would jump in happiness if I could :D)
- Blitz