Mail from Mom

Mission Makeover
“Seen this picture?”
The text was written by hand on the back of the picture – a picture of a child, whom Show had seen before. A glint of it.
It wasn’t the same picture, but the about three-year-old boy in it had the same shifty look in his eyes. The same as the boy in the picture Show had seen when he was nine years old – the same as Jiro.
Show texted Selina, and asked her to get him Jiro’s number. She texted it back with no other comment. She was probably still biking.
He dialed the number, and waited for it to be picked up.
“I was expecting your call,” Jiro’s self-satisfied voice said when the phone got picked up.
“I was expecting you to expect my call,” Show answered back.
“I was also expecting you to have some questions,” Jiro continued.
“I have.”
“Bring it on.”
“Why did you give me this letter?” Show asked.
“Am I not cute as a three-years-old?” So it was Jiro in the picture.
“I thought you were going to answer my questions.”
“I never said that.” Jiro sounded like he enjoyed the situation virulently.
Show was silent for a moment.
“What are you going to do to Selina?” he finally asked.
“You mean when I take her to the prom?”
The memory of the evening where Jiro (pretty intimately) asked Selina to prom carved deeply into Show’s heart. He quickly pulled it of.
“No, silly. I’m talking about...” He made his voice deeper to impersonate Jiro’s voice, as he had been speaking a bit too high-pitched (girly). “’ ...The closer she gets to Show, the better my plan will work.’ I think that sounds pretty suspicious.”
Jiro hesitated for a few seconds before answering.
“Oh, that. You heard us, huh? Well, I’d like Sel to get a job. She can’t pull on you guys forever,” Jiro said in an easy voice.
Just like that. Nothing more than that. And he had been afraid for weeks that something would happen.
Now it turned out, that it was just a helping-plan. Show felt a bit ridiculous.
“Oh, yes, haha. I see,” he quickly said, maybe a bit too quickly.
“By the way, she really needs a job, okay? You work part time in your dad’s company, right?”
“Yeah, I... I help with ideas for new designs, and I’m the heir, so...”
“Oh, great! Together with Hebe, I guess?” Now it was Jiro’s time to say things too quickly. This was getting weirder.
“Hebe’s parents only own a part of the company, I’m going to inherit it,” Show explained. Why was Jiro interested in this?
“I see. Well, you might be able to get her a job there, right? Secretary, gofer or something.”
Secretary... that was a great idea! This way she could stay close to him, and... no, this way she could get a good pay and learn the ways of a company. Yes, like that.
“Maybe,” he answered shortly, while his confused thoughts kept flushing around in his head.
He hung up without saying goodbye, and regretted it immediately after, as he had many more questions to ask. But whatever.

Selina walked out to the mailbox to get the mail. It was early Monday morning, but she always woke up early. She liked to get the mail and do other housework, to pay a little back for staying in the house.
She sat down in the living room to sort the mail.
For Jolin, Jolin’s dad, bill, bill, for Jolin’s dad again, and some more bills. And one for... Selina Ren?
She curiously looked at the letter, and placed the rest of the mail on a table.
It had been re-addressed from her old home – or, where her father lived now. She wondered how her father was doing. And how he was able to pay the house rent.
She opened the letter, and took out a piece of paper. She recognized the handwriting immediately, and felt blood rush through her body. Excited, she started to read.
“Dear daughter
I’d wish I could get to know how you’re doing... I don’t hope your dad makes it too difficult for you...”
Oh well, he already did. But that actually made the situation better – in some way.
“...and that you’re doing well in school.
I hope you’ll forgive me for leaving you. I still can’t tell where I am, but don’t worry, I’ll be home some time.”
Selina felt the disappointment grow inside her.
“But I have to tell you something else I’ve never told you before.
I have a sister. I don’t know where she lives now. She eloped with some random guy when she was 17, and that’s why we lost contact. My mom afterwards told me never to mention that I had a sister.
My sister and I were really close, and told each other everything. I believe she’ll help you.
Her name is Ren Guo Ni, unless she has changed it. If you can find her, show her this letter and she’ll understand.
Don’t try to answer this letter or find out where I am, it won’t do any good.
- I love you. Mom”
She looked at the little heart her mother had drawn as the “o” in “Love”. She had to read the letter three times before really understanding it.
If she could find her mother’s sister – her aunt – then she could maybe find out what in the world was going on. She hated when she didn’t know what to believe or not.
She heard someone step in of the door, and looked up to see Jolin. As she had just showered, her hair was still wet.
“Hey Sel, something exciting in the mail?” Jolin sat down in an armchair. Selina handed her the letter without a word, and she read it concentrated.
She looked up when she was done reading.
“I don’t know anyone with the name Ren Gou Ni...” It was typical Jolin to be practical as a first reaction.
“Me neither,” Selina sighed.
Jolin looked through the letter again.
“Your family is sure complicated,” she pointed out. Selina nodded.
“Very odd.”
“You better get a move on, it’s school time soon. Also better take the letter with you, and let the others read it.” Jolin smiled, got on her feet, and walked out. Probably to dry her hair.
Selina ran up the stairs to the room where she lived, and stuffed the letter in her bag, which for once had all of her books in it. No stolen books the last two months.

And people greeted her in the corridors, even if she was alone. Through the last few months, she had been strictly taught how to greet them back, but had finally found her own way, which worked.
People had been going crazy after the school team’s – Jiro’s – final match, which meant that the plan had worked. Attention. A bit too much of it, but of a lot better kind than she had been used to.
Hebe, Ella and Show were waiting for her and Jolin when they came to the school. The three waved at them, and they happily waved back.
Show seemed as happy as always, even though he looked a bit thoughtful. But as Jolin named it, he sometimes “had his period without having it”, which everyone including Show was brilliantly amused by.
Show and Selina were having a class together, Biology (which they had split classes for), so they said goodbye to the other three and headed for the classroom while chatting.
They sat down next to each other, and Selina got some envious glances from the two members of Show’s fanclub, who were sitting in the corner.
Show leaned over her table.
“Didn’t you say you wanted a job?” he asked, half whispering.
Selina nodded.
“I talked to my dad. You can work at our company.” Show looked extremely proud, probably by the thought that he was able to give people a job.
“Work as what?” Selina asked.
“Gofer, messenger-girl, secretary, canteen-girl, whatever you want.” He smiled with deep happiness.
“Messenger-girl or canteen-girl sounds good,” Selina smiled back. To her surprise, Show looked a bit disappointed.
“But you’ll get a bigger salary by being secretary,” he pointed out.
“Don’t I need an education for that?”
“Not if you become my secretary,” he smiled proudly again.
“I don’t think I’m good enough to become a secretary. Messenger-girl seems to be the best for me.” She tried to smile again, but Show still seemed a bit disappointed.
“Well, then. But if you do well as messenger-girl, can you then become my secretary?” He looked begging at her with his big puppy eyes, that she impossibly could resist.
“Okay,” she surrendered.

***
I’m seriously angry at my cat. It peed on my school books. I have to do my German assignment all over.
But here you have your update, sorry for the wait :]
Omg, so many comments! You guys are so great :3 I was afraid I had lost my readers by being so slow at updating -.-‘
I will soon post a comment-answer chap, but regarding Show – he is MINE >:-D
Lol, jk. We must share him. Our hubby has too many wives; there would be civil war in Showtopia if we started fighting over him xP
I’m sorry that I’m so slow at updating, but I’m feeling extremely tired lately, for no reason, and no matter how early I go to bed. I don’t know why, and I also have really easy to tears, I may be kinda winter-depressed. I really need to get out of the city; I can’t take being locked up for so long.
Another week before we (maybe) can take to our summerhouse for the weekend. Another two weeks before Easter vacation, where we also (maybe) can be there for a few weeks. Hope I’ll turn happier then, so you can get your chaps faster :p
Anyways, I really REALLY want to know what you think about the chap, the story until now, whatever :D every single comment counts, and makes me happy deep in my heart <3
So please please please comment :3
- Blitz