Chapter 5

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunsol placed her notebooks inside her bag. It was already lunchtime. She was just about to stand up but a group of students crowded over his seat, asking him questions. Eunsol didn’t really mean to overhear them but their voices were too loud.

 

“You’re from China?”

 

He simply shook his head with a small smile. “No. I just went there for a small vacation.”

 

“How come you know Eunsol?”

 

Eunsol’s eyes widened. Jongdae glanced at her before talking. “We met a week ago. She actually asked me----“

 

“We just met. That’s just it.” She answered in his stead as she smiled sheepishly at them and glared at Jongdae from the corner of her eyes. He was just about to tell them that she asked him out. There’s no way he’d let them know about it. That’s something that they shouldn’t know.

 

Before they could ask him another question,

 

“We have to go. I have to guide him to the cafeteria since he doesn’t know where it is.” She said as she pulled Jongdae up from his seat and dragged him outside the room.

 

How can he talk about that so casually? She thought as she continued dragging him outside. Maybe I should tell him not to say anything about that.

 

Suddenly, Eunsol halted into a stop and turned back to him. And just like he normally would, he smiled at her. And she was getting more frustrated seeing him smile. For she couldn’t tell whether he was smiling genuinely or laughing at her silently.

 

His eyes fell on her hand which was gently gripping on his left arm. And then he looked up to her with a playful smirk. Eunsol immediately let go of his arm the moment she noticed that she was holding it. “Sorry.” She mumbled half heartedly.

 

“No. It’s completely fine with me.” He placed his arm in front of her. “You may drag me whenever and wherever you like.”

 

Eunsol just sighed and chose to ignore it. “Just follow this hallway. You’ll see the cafeteria at the end of it. There’s a small sign at the door. I’m sure that you’ll be able to see that. If not, you may always ask other students. That’s it. I’m going.” Eunsol gave him instructions as quick as she could.

 

Before she could walk away, Jongdae held her arm, stopping her. “Where are you going?”

 

“I’m going back to the room.” She answered absent-mindedly.

 

He frowned, completely not amused with the thought of her leaving him behind. “You won’t eat lunch with me?”

 

Eunsol slowly nodded. “I never told you that I will.”

 

“But Mr. Jung said you should take care of me right?” Jongdae told her, his hand was still on her arm.

 

“I’m pretty sure that at that age, you can eat all by yourself. You won’t need my help. Besides, I’m going to eat lunch with Jieun. Bye!” With that, she quickly walked away leaving Jongdae there. Since he didn’t have any choice, he just went to the cafeteria alone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Chen-ah! You’re really back!” Yixing greeted him with a warm hug.

 

Chen hugged him back while patting his shoulder. “I really am, Hyung.”

 

“You got taller.” Luhan smiled at him as he gave him a thumbs up.

 

“He must be wearing in soles inside his shoes.” Kris pointed out rather grumpily. He wanted to be the only tall person in the group.

 

Chen broke the hug with Yixing and turned to Kris. “I’m not!” He chuckled.

 

“Hyung did you buy us presents?” Tao asked him excitedly. His eyes were sparkling in delight. He’d been expecting Chen to bring him some since he just got back from China.

 

“What present?” Jongdae asked him blankly. He doesn’t ever remember Tao asking him to buy him something.

 

“Since you just got back from China, shouldn’t you atleast brought us something? Like a souvenir maybe?” Luhan grinned.

 

“Sorry. I didn’t. I’ll buy you something next time.” He told them as he sat beside Xiumin. “Besides, you’re all originally from China. You don’t need those.” Jongdae reasoned out.

 

Tao pouted as he stomped on his feet. “How could you forget about us? Just what did you do at China? You didn’t do anything but to sulk and---“

 

Xiumin gave Tao a signal to stop talking since he knew that what he’s going to say isn’t something good. But he was too late.

 

All of them stopped talking and watched Chen in silence. He didn't say anything but it was obvious that he wasn't pleased with what Tao said. Their once happy mood suddenly turned glum.

 

Tao frowned in guilt as he played with his fingers. He was thinking that it was because of him. "Sorry." He mouthed a small but earnest apology.

 

Chen nodded a little. He didn;t really want Tao to feel bad about it. But even he himself can't seem to cheer up. He can't even say 'It's okay' because it's definitely not okay.

 

And after that, no one among the six of them dared to talk. Tao was still feeling guilty. Luhan was silently comforting him. Yixing as usual, didn't know what to say. He was too scared to say anything. Just like Minseok. They knew that if they talked more about it, Chen would be really pissed. So they just decided to stay silent.

 

Finally Kris decided to break the unwanted silence. He can't stand this unusual silent treatment that they are having now. “How’s your first day?” He asked Chen.

 

He looked up to Kris thinking about what happened on his first day. An he smiled a bit remembering Eunsol. Her expression when she saw him was just priceless. “It’s okay.” His smile widened even more.

 

“It seems like you’re in a good mood today.” Minseok pointed out.

 

Jongdae just nodded. “Kinda.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunsol went back to the classroom only to find Jieun waiting at her at the door with her arms crossed in her chest. “You have some explaining to do.”

 

“That’s what I’m really planning on doing.” Eunsol told her with an awkward smile.

 

Jieun nodded at her. “Okay. Explain. I’ll listen.”

 

“He’s the guy I met a week ago. The one who easily agreed to go out on a date with me.  He’s the reason why I’m late in my work too.” Eunsol explained to her.

 

“SO IT’S REALLY TRUE THAT YOU DATED SOMEONE?”

 

Eunsol glared at her. Good thing no one was in the room. No one heard her shouting to the world that she dated him.

 

She frowned in confusion. “But why is he here? Did he come to see you?”

 

“He said it was purely coincidental.” Eunsol shook her head as she spoke.

 

“But still, he chose to sit beside you.” Jieun bumped Eunsol’s hips with hers playfully. “Is it going to be JongEun or DaeSol or what?”

 

Eunsol blushed as she shook her head. “Stop making couple names for us. We’re not a couple!”

 

“Not yet.” Jieun just grinned at her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
I'm really looking forward to next week since SM will release 'The Ballad'  :DDDDD
But EXOST will end next week too. :<

 

tumblr_mz1hty8XfD1sef9yyo2_250.gif

Hehehehe. XD

 

tumblr_n0nu1qXTyY1t7llb2o1_500.gif

 

Byeee~

 

<3