Chapter 9

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

\

Ding Dong.

 

One doorbell was enough to make Eunsol come out and open the door. She was just about to open the gate but when she saw Jongdae, she suddenly stopped and stared at him. He’s wearing glasses…. And heck, it totally looked good on him. She fangirled inside her head.

 

 

The corners of his lips moved up as he caught her staring at him for a few seconds. Today he decided to wear his glasses. And it was probably the first time Eunsol saw him wearing them.

 

“I look good right?” he asked, snapping her out of her thoughts. Her daze turned into a small frown as she let him in. “No. You look like a nerd.” she retorted.

 

“A handsome nerd.” he corrected her as he arranged his glasses.

 

Eunsol just shook her head. “Whatever. You still look like a nerd.” she mumbled loud enough for him to hear as she walked inside her house with Jongdae trailing behind her. “But I still look handsome.” he mumbled defensively.

 

Jongdae looked around the house as he walked inside. When he noticed that there’s no one in the house aside from the two of them, “You live alone?” he asks as he softly plopped down the sofa.

 

“Yes.” Eunsol answered as she came back from the kitchen and placed the pitcher and two glasses at the small table in front of him.

 

 “Where’s your mom and dad?” he asked in curiosity. He was expecting to meet anyone of them today. But looks like he won’t.

 

Eunsol poured the juice to the glasses and handed one to him. “They’re working in Cheongdamdong.”

 

Jongdae just silently nodded before taking a sip from his glass. Eunsol must be lonely here in her house without her parents around that’s why she goes to her part time job. He concluded in his mind.

 

From the looks of it, she didn’t seem the type who really needs money. She just had extra time and she decided to use it wisely. “What about you? You’re from China right?” he heard her small voice ask.

 

Jongdae turned to her. “No. Chenlifornia.” he simply answered her with a playful smile.

 

Eunsol frowned at him. “You’re being unfair. I answered your question earlier but you’re not answering my question.”

 

“I answered didn’t I? I said Chenlifornia.” he tried to defend his side.

 

“Is that even a place? Just from what planet are you huh? Chen Planet?” She made a face as she crossed her arms on her chest.

 

Jongdae cheekily grinned at her. “It’s actually EXO Planet.”

 

Eunsol gave him a glare. But he didn’t seem to be affected by it. “ I came with my friends Baozi the Herculean Dumpling, Manly Manly  Deer Lulu, Kungfu Panda, healing Unicorn and the Galaxy hyung who loves to draw but actually can’t. Do you want me to come with them next time?” he asked her with wriggling brows.

 

Eunsol became more furious and just tried to stay calm. This guy is really… “Nevermind.”

 

“So what are you then? A dinosaur?” Eunsol mumbled angrily trying to ride his jokes. “You must be a dinosaur since you look like one.”

 

But he didn’t laugh.

 

Instead of hearing his cackling laughter, Jongdae swallowed hard as he tried to avoid her gaze. Hearing the mere word ‘dinosaur’ just makes him remember her. And the same feeling overtakes him. He’s starting to feel sad all over again.  

 

Eunsol only meant it as a joke. But his reaction bugged her. Jongdae wasn’t naturally this quiet. So he must really be affected. Was he offended? Should she say sorry?

 

“I’m sor----“

 

Jongdae stood up and went to the table where the books are neatly piled. “Let’s study now.” he mumbled with a small smile. He didn’t want to sulk all day long. He didn’t want to waste time again. Besides, Eunsol is here.

 

She’s one of the many reasons why he should cheer up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Let’s stop studying and just play.” Jongdae suggested as he shifted towards her who was busy solving mathematical equations.

 

Eunsol’s forehead was creased for she was frowning while writing down her answers hastily, serious enough to answer the questions. He smiled as he continued watching her. If she would permit him to, he could stare at her like this all day.

 

Eunsol on the other hand couldn’t fully concentrate knowing the fact that he was staring at her. Kim Jongdae is really a great example of distraction.

 

“Stop staring at me and study there.” he heard her order him without even sparing him a glance.

 

Jongdae rested his chin on his palm as he continued watching her. “I’m actually taking a small break.” he informed her with a sly smile.

 

Small break? Small break?! Seriously, you should be the one giving me a break! She thought as she massaged her temples. “Then go look at something interesting.”

 

He pouted. “But you turned off the TV because we’re studying.” Jongdae told her, his eyes still not leaving her.

 

Eunsol sighed. This guy is pretty persistent. “I told you to go and look at something interesting didn’t I?”

 

“Yes. That’s why I’m looking at you.” He nodded with a smile.  “Other than you, I can’t find anything that’s interesting here.”

 

There he goes with his flirty remarks again. Eunsol thought as she shook her head and struggled to act normally despite the fact that she wants to roll over and squeal. “Stop making fun of me.” she managed to say without stuttering.

 

“It’s true. I’m not making fun of you.” he insists.

 

“Stop staring at me.” Eunsol looked up to him and narrowed her eyes at him. He’s really not listening to her. Can’t he realize what how fast her heart was beating right now? “Yah! Can’t you hear me? I---“

 

“I really wonder how you manage to look pretty when you’re fuming mad. How do you do it?” he asked her in amusedly.

 

Eunsol was at loss of words. Pretty. Pretty. Pretty. PRETTY. Did he just say that I’m pretty?

 

She couldn’t stop biting her lips just to conceal her smile. Her eyes were still on the book but her mind was flying to him.

 

“Do you know why I always make fun of you?” he asked her.

 

I think I don’t want to know the answer. It’s seriously bad for my heart. She thought as she remained silent, as if she didn’t hear what he was saying.

 

He leaned in closer as he spoke. “Because you’re reaction when you’re mad is too cute. And you look pretty when you’re mad.”

 

“Is that a compliment or what?”

 

He instantly smiled at her. “It is! You really look pretty when you’re mad.”

 

Eunsol could feel her cheeks burning up because of what he’s saying. “From now on I won’t be mad.” she mumbled not knowing what to say to him.

 

Jongdae just nodded silently but his face looked as if he was mocking her. Eunsol stood up and headed straight to the kitchen.

 

“Where are you going Eunsol-ah?” she heard his melodic voice ask.

 

“I’m just going to get the cookies I baked.” Eunsol answered as she put on the gloves and opened the oven. It’s actually her way of getting out of the awkwardness. Besides, she thinks she needs to atleast breathe. What he’s doing to her and telling her are really affecting her too much. Damn too much.

 

His eyes brightened as he followed her. “You really made cookies?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Just remember these. You always have to use this formula to solve for the x.” Jongdae slowly explained to her as she pointed to the formula that he just wrote.

 

Eunsol nodded as she tried to solve the problem on the book. Jongdae smiled as he eyed her. She’s really hardworking. He thought as he looked at what she’s solving. And he noticed that she made a mistake.

 

“You should multiply it first before adding it.” he reminded her as she pointed to her small mistake.

 

“Ah… right. I forgot.” She mumbled incoherently. “Thanks.”

 

Jongdae rubbed the back of his neck and acted as if he was troubled. “I look good and I’m so smart. It’s so frustrating. Why did God make me so perfect? Do you think I’ll ever be average at anything?” he asked her.

 

“I think you’ll be average at this exam since you’re not studying seriously.” Eunsol simply answered him.

 

Jongdae shook his head. “I’m sure I’m going to see an A+++ at the right side of the paper when the results are out.” he told her confidently. Over confidently.

 

Eunsol just chuckled at his silliness.

 

And that’s when Jongdae thought of something. “Do you want to make a bet?”

 

“A bet?”

 

He nodded. “Let’s make a bet. If you scored higher than me, then I’ll do anything you want. But, if I scored higher than you, you’ll have to do anything that I want.” he mumbled challengingly with a smirk. “Deal?”

 

“Deal.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae put down the book that he’s reading and looked at his watch. It’s already past 6. He has to go. “Eunsol-ah, it’s late. I think I have to go now.” He told her as he took his phone, which was on the table. And that’s when he noticed that Eunsol was already sleeping. She slept while reading a book.

 

“So this means you’re not listening to my rambles earlier. I must’ve looked like an idiot talking to myself.” he mumbled with a small pout as he removed the book that she used as a pillow and replaced it with a cushion instead.

 

Jongdae took a small paper and wrote something as fast and as quiet as he could then, he gently stuck it on Eunsol’s forehead. “I’ll go now.” he mumbled with a smile. “Goodnight. See you tomorrow. Be prepared to lose Eunsol-ah.” he added as he tucked a stray strand of her at the back of her hears. With that, he finally went outside.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s was already 9 when Eunsol woke up from her slumber. And the first thing she noticed was the sticky note stuck on her forehead.

 

She took the note and read it:

 

 

 

Get some rest Eunsollie. You needs tons of energy to be with me. Goodluck on losing at our examination tomorrow.

 

 

P.S.

 

I know you’re dreaming about me. Wipe out your drool okay?

 

K J D

 

 

 

 

Eunsol immediately wiped the corners of . “There’s no drool.” She mumbled defensively. But he was right. She was definitely dreaming of him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You ready for the exam?” Jongdae asked her. “You can still back out from the deal you know.” he informed her.

 

Eunsol lightly shakes her head with a smirk. ‘If I were you, I’d start getting ready for what I’m going to ask you to do.”

 

Jongdae smiled at her remarks. “Don’t be so sure that you’ll win. Disappointment is not a good thing Eunsollie.”

 

“Stop talking to your seatmates and concentrate on the exam. We’ll check the papers after an hour so answer the questions quickly.” Mr. Han reminded his students as he distributed the papers to them.

 

And with that they started the exam.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae stopped walking when he’s already in front of Eunsol’s house. He grinned widely as he grabbed his phone and started calling her number.

 

 

“Eunsol-ah. Come see me right now.” he told her.

 

 

“WHAT?! I’m inside the house. And it’s already late. We have school tomorrow. Let’s just meet there.”

 

“I’m actually outside your house right now. It’s so cold and all. Are you just going to let me die---“ In an instant, he heard loud footsteps pacing down the stairs. And in a blink of an eye, Eunsol was already in front of him, wearing her Strawberry Shortcake pajamas while panting loudly as she clutches her chest.

 

“You’re fast.” he said with an amused smile. “You can join the Athletics Club if you’re that fast.” he told her.

 

“Why…. why are.. you here?” She asked him, still out of breath. When she heard that he was in front of her house, the first thing that came to her mind was to go down. Not only because he’s waiting. But because she wants to see him. She sees her everyday. But still, that wasn’t enough. If it was possible, Eunsol would like to see her every second.

 

Jongdae took out a folded paper and showed it to her. “I’m here for our little deal.”

 

Eunsol’s jaw dropped. “Are you serious? You came all the way here at this hour just for that?”

 

Jongdae nodded calmly. “Yes. I’m serious. I came all the way here at this hour just for this.”

 

“You’re unbelievable. We can see our scores tomorrow. Why did you have to come here this late?” She scolded him.

 

“Just go and get your paper then we’ll compare the scores. I can’t sleep with this still unsolved. So I came here. I seriously can't wait for tomorrow.” Jongdae pouted.

 

 

 

 

 

Few minutes later, Eunsol came back with her test paper in her hands. “As I count to three let’s exchange papers okay? No cheating!” Jongdae threatened her.

 

Eunsol just nodded.

 

“…1…”

 

“...2…”

 

“..3..”

 

They immediately exchanged their papers and stared at their scores. “I won?” Eunsol asked him, unsure of what she was saying. Jongdae scored 92 while she scored 96. That means she won right?

 

“Uhh.. yeah?” He nodded as he handed her back her paper. “Congrats on winning against me. That’s a really big achievement Eunsollie. Do you want me to give you a certificate for beating me in this specific examination?” He smirked.

 

“I hope you’re not forgetting about our deal. Since I won, you should do something that I want you to right?” She smiled mischievously at him, thinking of anything she’d want him to do.

 

And her thoughts were disrupted when she felt his soft lips on her right cheek.

 

She froze as she turned to him waiting for an explanation on why he did that. Why would he kiss her? She couldn’t think of any reason why. Is he just playing around with her like before?

 

Kim Jongdae this better be not one of your games. She thought as she eyed this beautiful creature before her.

 

“That’s your reward for defeating me. I know it’s been hard on you. But the prize’s worth it right?” He coolly asked her with a smile.

 

And that one smile was enough to make her heart go crazy.  There are so many things running inside her head right now. Questions. Assumptions. Wonderings. But all in all, she was happy. Beyond happy in fact. Just how would you feel when you got kissed by the guy you like?

 

It feels as if your heart would explode because of all the feelings piling up inside.

 

“I think you should go inside now. Goodnight Eunsollie.” Jongdae said as he gently pushed her to go inside her house.

 

“Goodnight. Dream of me okay?” he mumbled with a wink as he ruffled her hair.

 

Eunsol immediately closed the door and leaned on it. “If I die young, it’s definitely his fault.” she mumbled as she closed her eyes and squealed. Everything that happened in a short period of time is seriously too much for her to handle.

 

Her fangirling and squeals were interrupted when she received a text from him.

 

 

 

“Stop fangirling about me and sleep now. See you tomorrow Eunsollie.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I missed you guys! TT.TT Did you miss me? XDD

I’m baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack~ Our classes officially ended today so yeah. ^^

I’m sorry it took so long. But I hope you guys liked it. :>

Huehuehue.

I hope you’re H-A-P-P-Y~