Chapter 10

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

Jongdae tossed and turned countless times but still he couldn’t get himself to sleep. He was still thinking about what he did earlier. He thoughtlessly kissed Eunsol. And when he tried to explain why, he couldn’t think of any reason. He couldn’t bring himself to think of a reasonable explanation on why he did that.

 

When he saw Eunsol in her Strawberry Shortcake pajamas, the first thing that registered on his mind was she looked extremely adorable. The way she talked when she was out of breath. When she tried to lecture him for just appearing out of nowhere in the middle of the night. The way she stared at him with her hazel brown orbs. Her lovely voice. And before he knew it, he was already kissing her.

 

Jongdae sat up as he scratched the back of his head. If she’s going to ask her about it, what the heck would he say? He can’t possibly tell her that he kissed her just because he felt like it.

 

To him, Eunsol was someone whom he can easily talk to. She’s someone he wants to have around him. He liked teasing her and seeing her different reactions. Her contagious laugh. Her cute and irresistible pouts. The way her brows furrows when she’s mad. The way her face looks when she’s confused. Everything.

 

In simpler terms, he likes her.

 

But he wasn’t sure if liking her was right. If it was possible, he’d like to stop his feelings. Jongdae was afraid that he’d fall in love with her completely.

 

He was afraid.

 

Not that he’s afraid of rejection. And no, He’s definitely not chickening out. He was afraid that she’ll leave him. Just like how her ex-girlfriend did. Jongdae was afraid that it’ll be just like before. He was afraid that he’ll be broken hearted again. He didn’t want to be miserable and cause trouble others again.  

 

That was the thing that holds him back.

 

His past.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here.” Eunsol mumbled dreamily as she lightly tapped the most accurate spot where Kim Jongdae’s lips landed last night. She couldn’t stop thinking about it and she thought she should let her best friend know. So the following day, she immediately asked Jieun to come over.

 

Jieun’s eyes widened. “So he really kissed you?”

 

Eunsol smiled shyly as she barely nodded, remembering what happened last night. The way his soft lips gently grazed on her cheeks was simply unforgettable. Eventhough it only lasted for barely 5 seconds, it was something that’d surely be etched on her mind for forever.

 

Jieun sauntered closer to her. “But why did he do that?” she asked in curiosity. Jongdae transferred to their school just less than a month ago. By just observing how these two interacted, she could see that there was definitely something about them.

 

“He said it was my prize for beating his score on the exam.” Eunsol explained as she grinned. “If I’m going to get a prize like that in every exam that we’ll take I’m positive that I’ll be able to graduate with the highest honors possible.” she jokes wistfully as she hugged a pillow.

 

“Are you guys on a secret relationship or something?”

 

Eunsol eyes widened as she immediately shook her head. “NO WE’RE NOT!” The mere thought of her being with him was impossible. And she didn’t want her best friend to misunderstand them.

 

Jieun leaned in closer and narrowed her eyes at her best friend, trying to figure out whether she’s lying or not. She knew Eunsol liked Jongdae. Heck, everyone knew she did. She was just not sure if that guy feels the same way as her best friend does.

 

“It’s true. We’re not in a relationship.” Eunsol tried to persuade her.

 

“If he kissed you just like that, doesn’t that mean that there’s something going on between the two of you?”

 

Eunsol shrugged. She doesn’t know why either. She’d been thinking about it all night and she came to a conclusion. Well it’s more of an assumption. Maybe, just maybe that guy likes her too.

 

“Do you think it’s possible for him to like me?” Eunsol asked Jieun with a pout. And she didn’t notice that Jieun secretly stole her phone from her bag.

 

“Don’t worry. I’m already trying to confirm that now.” Jieun mumbled as he typed something in Eunsol’s phone.

 

Finally Eunsol noticed that she’s typing a message using her phone. “What’s that?” she asked as she leaned in closer to see what her best friend is typing. And her eyes widened in alarm. Eunsol immediately tried to snatch away her phone from Jieun, trying to prevent her evil plan.

 

“Let go! I’m almost done! Eunsol-ah! Stop pulling my hair!” Jieun exclaimed as she typed as fast as she could while shielding the phone from it’s owner. “Don’t do it! I’ll buy you lunch swear! Just stop it!” Eunsol begged as if her life was on the line.

 

Finally, Jieun gave Eunsol her phone back with a sad face. Eunsol smiled in relief as she looked at her phone. “You didn’t send it?” She asked happily. But then, she saw that the message was clearly sent.

 

Jieun grinned happily at her. “I did.”

 

“Why are you doing this to me? I thought we’re best friends?” Eunsol whined as she stomped on her foot while looking at the message Jieun typed. “Must you really say it in this way?”

 

 

 

“Oppa, I really like you! Hearteu.”

 

 

 

She massaged her temples as she sighed. He would definitely about it. “How can this help me? You’re ruining my life Jieun-ah!” Eunsol complained like a kid.

 

“Let’s wait for his reply. He might admit that he likes you too. Don’t you want that?” Jieun mumbled with a sly smile.

 

And that’s when her phone beeped. “He replied!” Jieun beamed at her excitedly. Eunsol leaned over to see his reply.

 

 

 

“I know.”

 

 

 

She could even imagine him smirking proudly while saying those. “Kill me now. Kill me. I can’t live anymore after this humiliation.” Eunsol mumbled as she bumped her head against the wall. How can she face him when Monday comes?

 

Jieun tried to stop her laughter and patted her best friends back, trying her best to comfort her. “Eunsol-ah, fighting!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

The dreaded Monday finally came even though Eunsol prayed for a thunderstorm so that they wouldn’t have classes, it never happened. The sun shone brightly as if it was mocking her.

 

Eunsol went to her locker to grab her books. Today at all costs, she should act as if she doesn’t know anything about that text message. That message never existed. Eunsol massaged her temples with a sigh. Just thinking about it makes her head ache. Sometimes Jieun can really be stupid. And this is definitely one of the stupidest things she did.

 

“Don’t think about it. Eunsol-ah. Act normally. Fighting.” She tried to encourage herself as she made her way to the classroom.

 

“Eunsollie!”

 

That voice. Eunsol didn’t even need to look back. By just hearing that high-pitched voice, she can already tell that it’s Jongdae. Besides it’s only him who calls her ‘Eunsollie’.

 

And she was considering if she should look back and smile at him but when she heard his footsteps nearing her, all of a sudden, she couldn’t think straight anymore. Everything that she practiced was lost. She can’t face him after all.

 

Instead of greeting him nicely, Eunsol ignored him and walked faster.

 

“Eunsol-ah!”

 

Eunsol closed her eyes as she doubled her pace, praying that he would just leave her alone. But no matter how fast she walk, Jongdae was definitely faster than her. He has long legs after all. And in no time, he was already in front of her, blocking her way.

 

“Oh, you’re here?” Eunsol acted as if she was a little surprised when she saw him. As if she didn’t know that he was around.

 

“I’ve been calling you. Didn’t you hear me?”

 

“Really? I didn’t hear.” she lied as she smiled awkwardly at him. “My ears must’ve gone bad.” Eunsol reasoned out as she touched her ears.

 

Jongdae just smirked as he lightly shook his head. It was obvious that she was lying. “About the text---“

 

“I think I need to go to the restroom. Bye!” Eunsol exclaimed as she ran away from not even letting him finish what he was about to say. She knew he’s going to say something about the text message Jieun sent. And she didn’t want to hear anything about it.

 

Besides, she couldn’t stop thinking of the kiss. It flashes in her mind whenever she looks at his face.

 

“I’m crazy.” Eunsol mumbled to herself as she shook her head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hurry and partner up into two.” Our P.E. teacher shouted as he clapped his hands twice, signaling us to double our time.

 

In no time, the whole class were scattered trying to find their own partners. Eunsol could see Jongdae smiling her way. That only means one thing. He wants her to be his partner.  And now, he’s walking towards her. After all the things that happened, she doesn’t want to face him yet.

 

So as fast as she could, she grabbed a random classmate which turns out to be Seokjin. “Let’s …partner up?” Eunsol asked him awkwardly.

 

Seokjin smiled as he nodded. “Sure.”

 

They both walked towards the front. And Eunsol thought she finally avoided Jongdae. But she was wrong. Jongdae appeared in front of them and eyed Seokjin coldly. “You.” he mumbled, his cold eyes still not leaving him.

 

Seokjin innocently pointed to himself as he blinked. “Me?”

 

Jongdae nodded at him and in no time pulled Eunsol towards him, causing her to fall on his sturdy chest. “Go find another partner.” Jongdae told Seokjin as he pointed to their other classmates using the tip of his mouth. Jongdae then looked at her as the corners of his mouth created a playful smirk.

 

“Park Eunsol is mine.”

 

“Really? I didn’t know that she was your partner. Sorry about that.” Seokjin muttered as he walked away.

 

Park Eunsol is mine. Those words were like music in her ears. She knew Jongdae was a pig for eating so much. But he was actually not a pig. His chest was lean and sturdy. What’s more is his perfume. Gosh. He smells good.

 

When she realized that she was leaning onto him for too long, Eunsol scrambled away from him as fast as she could and arranged the creases in her shirt even though there’s actually none.

 

“You avoided me at the hallways. During class, we barely talked. And now you partnered up with that guy. Eunsol-ah, are you avoiding me?” He asked her, sounding a bit sad.

 

Was she mad about what he did last time? Should he say sorry? With all the courage he could muster, Jongdae cleared his throat. “I don’t know how I should---“

 

“The teacher is saying something. We should pay attention.” Eunsol told him. Her eyes were focused to the teacher. She didn’t even glance at him.

 

Jongdae frowned as he looked at the teacher too. He was saying something but Jongdae couldn’t understand anything for he was thinking of something else—someone else. Eunsol. He was deeply thinking if she was mad or if she was embarrassed. Or both. He couldn’t tell. And it deeply bugged him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You don’t have work today?” Jongdae asked her as he walked beside her. Their classes already ended and now he’s walking her home to make sure she gets home safely. Eunsol simply shook her head with a small smile. “I don’t have work on Mondays.”

 

Jongdae silently nodded back as he bit his lower lip. Everything felt awkward. For the first time he didn’t know what to say. Should he pick on her? Compliment her? Should he say something about the weather? He didn’t know anymore.

 

“We’re here.” he heard Eunsol mumble as she stopped walking. Without him noticing it, they were already in front of her house. And he wasn’t able to say anything yet. Damn.

 

“About what happened last time…” Eunsol started as she stared at her shoes as if it was the most interesting thing she has ever seen.

 

“Are you mad at me because of what I did?” Jongdae asked her.

 

Eunsol fell silent. She was thinking about how she would tell him what she wanted to say. But she was never mad at him. She was just having a hard time figuring out what she was to him. And what kind of relationship they have.

 

“I was just wondering. What are we? What am I to you?”

 

He stared at Eunsol. And he could see that she was confused. She was just as confused as he is. What are we? Jongdae asked himself.  He was not sure of what to say. They were absolutely not just friends. But definitely there’s something going on between the two of them.

 

If he took a step closer to her and asked her to be his, how sure would he be that this wouldn’t lead to a heartbreak just like before? He hated the fact that he can’t even decide because he was afraid.

 

 But no matter what happens, he wouldn’t want to lose Eunsol.

 

“I just don’t really get you. There are times when you’re so sweet to me and yet I don’t even know where I stand.” Eunsol sighed dejectedly. There are times when Jongdae was too sweet and too protective of her. And yet she doesn’t know where she stand in his life. Was she even a part of him?

 

Jongdae cleared his throat as he spoke. “I’m sorry if I made you feel that way.” His eyes were pleading and serious. She has never seen him look like this before. Jongdae looked so vulnerable. So helpless. And it made her heart torn into a million tiny pieces by just looking at him.

 

“I just.. I was.. how do I explain this?” Jongdae tried to laugh it off as he raked his hand through his hair, struggling to find the right words. “Eunsol I think---“

 

He suddenly lost his voice when he felt a warm pair of arms around him. “You don’t have to explain if you don’t want to.” She said as she buried her face onto his chest. “I don’t want you looking like that. Please just cheer up.” Eunsol mumbled silently as she looked up at him, trying to scrutinize the expression on his face.

 

For him it was unfair how she was able to control him just like that. How her hug does wonders to his heart was definitely illegal. Seriously. If you’re going to be like this, how can I possibly not fall for you?

 

Jongdae smiled as he wrapped his hands around her. Maybe it’s not too late to try. It wouldn’t hurt to try right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

was it confusing? lol. sorrrry~. 

tumblr_n33ayyMzHR1qi0p62o1_500.gif

cuteeee. @__@

tumblr_n33ayyMzHR1qi0p62o2_500.gif

tumblr_n32zxqecQT1s22rbbo1_250.gif tumblr_n32zxqecQT1s22rbbo2_250.gif

xiuchen~ huehue xD

 

 

 

 

So yeahh.  ^^

 

I hate to say this but I'm anticipating Apink's Mr. Chu. lol.