Chapter 1

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

“Eunsol-ah, why don’t you have a boyfriend?”

“You’re 18 already right?”

“You should have atleast dated once or twice in that age.”

“You’re pretty too. Why isn’t anyone asking you out?”

 

A frown made it’s way on her lips as she remembered what her classmates told her earlier. They’ve been babbling about her not having a boyfriend at the age of 18 and such. Eunsol let out a deflated sigh. “Is it really that bad?” She mumbled to herself as she thought about it.

 

And now that she has thought about it,

 

Yes. It is kind of disappointing. And just thinking about it makes her feel lonely.

 

Having no boyfriend means, no one will send you text messages full of love. No warm hugs. No kisses. No flowers. No dates. No holding hands. She wouldn’t have anything else that a Korean romance drama projects. She doesn’t have a love story.

 

But is that necessary? Anyway there are no laws saying that a girl should have atleast dated by the age of eighteen right? And I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one…

 

Eunsol looked around her, almost everyone in sight has their own boyfriends and girlfriends, walking side by side with their linked fingers. She was totally wrong.  

 

“Am I the only one left out?” She thought with a small pout. This is totally not amusing. Today, of all days, why did so many couples appear on her way home? Are they doing this on purpose?

 

Eunsol stopped walking and stared at her reflection on the mirror of a random shop. She gently touched her right cheek. “I’m not that ugly. Why isn’t anyone asking me out?” She mumbled with a slight hint of irritation.

 

In her 18 years of existence, no one has dared to ask her out on a date. She hasn’t received a bouquet of flowers, not even a single petal. No chocolates and letters on Valentines Day. Her locker has never once had anything fancy. Is that even normal? Am I still normal? Just thinking of it makes her irritated. Especially now that she remembers her classmates. They always talk about their boyfriends. Her fingers curled into a ball in anger. It was as if the whole world was teaming up against her.

 

 

“AISH. WHATEVER. NO MATTER WHAT, I’M GOING TO DATE SOMEONE TODAY!” She exclaimed in fury to appease her irritation. I’m going to show them that I can date someone too. So what if I’m the one who asks the guy out? That’s pretty normal nowadays.

 

The old lady who was walking parallel to her was shocked because she shouted and also because of what she said. She gave Eunsol a weird look. “Kids nowadays are so weird.” She mumbles as she shook her head in disappointment as she walked away.

 

Eunsol bowed to her several times to apologize as she smiled awkwardly. “I.. was just.. practicing for our school play.” She reasoned out shyly even though the old lady didn’t even bother to listen. She watched anxiously as the old lady slowly disappeared in her sight. Eunsol bit her lip in humiliation. Just why did I have to shout?! Eunsol slapped her forehead with her hand. “This is embarrassing.”

 

Now she has found another strong reason why she should find someone to date today.

 

But how do I ask someone out? Should I go and plainly ask anyone in sight?

 

Naaaah. That’d be too lame.

 

Life should be filled with anything but surprises. It’s much better that way. Right? That was what her English professor told them when he gave them a surprise exam wherein she luckily got the score of 87 out of 100.

 

Her eyes sparkled in delight as she thought of an idea. A really really bright one.

 

Eunsol quickly grabbed her English test paper from her bag and opened it. “87.” She mumbled to herself as she read the score inked in red at the upper right corner of her paper. Not too low. And not that high either. But still, it’s a passing grade. She nodded in appreciation. 

 

“87.” A big smile crossed her lips. And then she looked ahead of her. “Before this day ends, I’m surely going to have a date.” She grinned happily at herself.

 

 

 

 

 

“This is it.” A big smile made it’s way on her lips as she started counting the guys who are appearing in her way.

 

“1.” It was a normal looking guy. Just like the ones you constantly see in the neighborhood. And he looks kind too. But obviously it’s not him. She thought as she watched the guy walk past her. Goodbye number one. Eunsol mumbled in her mind politely before her eyes finally left him.

 

….2…3……

 

She continued on counting as guys started appearing in front of her. What if number 87 is too young or too old? She mumbled worriedly. Please let someone closer to my age be my no. 87. She prayed as she walked on the road full of surprises that really surprises her.

 

..4….5…6…

 

“7.” Her eyes widened. This was something she was scared of. It was a high schooler. No. I don’t want to be a noona. I’m never going to be a pedonoona. And I’m not interested in kids. Eunsol thought as she walked faster.

 

 

…8…..9….10….11…

 

Kids are not my type. She thought as she shook her head rapidly.

 

I want a guy with a good pair of abs. If that’s not too much to ask. Chocolate abs will do. Not the melted ones please.

 

….12….13……..14..

 

“15.” Eunsol gulped. His cheeks are chubby and he’s a litttttttle wide. And what’s more is that he’s eating messily. Small pieces of chips were scattered around his mouth. She smiled awkwardly. I think… he.. uh ate the chocolates…? She bit her lip as she continued walking.

 

….16..17…18……

 

I think God was a bit pissed with what I wished earlier. Okay. I take it back. I don’t want need a guy with abs. Just… ugh. Okay. Just let him be a little thinner.

 

…19..20…21…..22…..

 

“23.” She mumbles silently as she slapped her forehead. I knew it. The Gods must’ve hated me. Are they doing this on purpose? She thought as she stared at the guy in front of her. He was waaaaaaaaaay too skinny. It was as if he’d actually fly away if you blew air onto him.

 

24……25…….26…….27…..28…

 

Eunsol placed her palms on her forehead. I want a boyfriend whom I can hold his hands while I was walking. But he looked like his arms will be torn away if I hold it. I knew I wished for a thinner one but..this is too much. I want a..just… okay no more abs. just …someone  healthy. She thought with a little bit of disappointment. It’s every girl’s dream to date a hot guy after all. Goodbye chocolate abs.

 

…29…..30….31…32…33……34…..

 

“35.” Eunsol narrowed her eyes at the person approaching her way. Is that a guy or a girl? She wondered as she looked intently at the person’s chest. She couldn’t detect any ‘humps’ in there. And then she focused on her face. This person looks way too girly. And the shoulders are too narrow… Her eyes moved to the neck. And that’s where she proved that it was a girl.

 

....36….37….38..39..40…41..

 

Eunsol chewed on the insides of her cheeks as she continued walking. I requested for a guy. A GUY. Please. I can’t possibly date a girl. My parents will kill me. I still have many plans for my future…

 

…..42……43…44…45…

 

“46.” Should I just stop this? Eunsol gnawed on her bottom lip as she slowly walked closer to the walls, moving away in fear from the 46th guy she just saw. He looked like those bad guys who are a part of a mafia that always appear in movies and dramas. He even has his goons trailing behind him. That means him and his whole gang took away seven spots.

 

…47….48…49….50….51….52…

 

Eunsol sighed. This is hopeless. She shook her head disapprovingly. This was just totally random. I know I asked to meet a guy….

 

But just seeing him makes me feel as if I already lost 5 lives in fear. His ‘friends’ which don’t look too friendly even took six spots naturally. Ugh. Great. Just great.

 

…53…..54……55……..56….57…58……

 

God, please give me someone who would be with me for the rest of my life. Not someone who would end up my life. Eunsol prayed inside her head as she continued to walk on.

 

 

“59” I rejected the kid earlier because he was too young. But this… she stared at the old guy staggering to walk using a cane in front of her. I said earlier that I want a guy who would be with me for my entire life right? He looks like he won’t even live for 3 years. Just what is this?

 

…60….61….62…..63……..64…

 

Eunsol closed her eyes in irritation. Why does wrong guys keep on coming my way? Of all of the 365 days of the year, why do all of them have to show up on the road I walk on as I try to find someone to date?

 

Is this a sign? Should I just stop counting and give up?

 

“Eunsol-ah, why don’t you have a boyfriend?”

“You’re 18 already right?”

“You should have atleast dated once or twice in that age.”

“You’re pretty too. Why isn’t anyone asking you out?”

 

The voices of her classmates echoed inside her head. Eunsol immediately shook her head and tried to encourage herself. I’ll show them that I can go out on dates too.

 

…...65….66…..67…..68….69…70….

 

Eunsol continued on counting. It was already 3:00. Her legs were starting to hurt already. She’s been searching for around 3 hours now. And she usually takes the bus on her way home so it was a bit  tiring and frustrating at the same time.

 

Please give me a normal guy. Eunsol prayed as she stretched her legs which were already sore.

 

“71” Eunsol gaped as she saw the 71st guy approaching her. All of the bad feelings, her sore legs, the hunger she felt, all the irritation, everything vanished in just 5 seconds. Eunsol finally let out a smile. He’s so hot! She fangirled mentally as she bit her lips hard, trying her best not to squeal.

 

I knew it. The Gods really loves me. Thank you! He’s just the one I’m looking for! She thanked the heavens as she clasped her hands together in excitement. Please let him be the one. She begged with all the sincerity she can feel right at the moment.

 

Her smiles were still big. Today was the best day ever.

 

But her happy feelings slowly started to vanish as he already walked past her. Oh no! The super hot guy is getting out of my sight. He’s going to get out of my life.

 

Eunsol turned around. Even his back side is perfect. She was just about to follow him when she realized something.

 

He was not number 87.

 

.

 

…72….73…74..75…..76…..77…..78…

 

Every step Eunsol took is filled with worrisome thoughts.

 

isn’t it better if I just go after 71?

 

He’s like the most perfect guy for me!

 

How can I let someone like him walk away just like that?

 

God. Please make him go back. Let me meet him again when I stop by number 87. Please. I’ll be good. I promise not to make faces in front of innocent babies when their Mom isn’t looking. Eunsol prayed even though she knew it was impossible. Really impossible to be exact.

 

She looked back again. The super hot guy was slowly disappearing in her sight. Eunsol immediately ran towards his direction.

 

She has to stop him. Can’t she just pretend that she was number 87?

 

Aish. Why did I get a score that is so high? 71 is not really bad though. Why do I have to do well on a very important exam? Eunsol regretted thinking and rethinking about her answers in her English exam. She even remembers that she was trying so hard just to pass that damn examination.

 

….79…80…81….82…

 

Eunsol suddenly stopped running. She realized something. If I go after this guy, everything will be in vain.

 

Everything will be useless. Because he’s not number. 87.

 

She looked ahead of her. He was just around 10 steps away. She could easily talk to him. But would that make sense?

 

It won’t.

 

So with a heavy heart, Eunsol turned around and slowly, ever so slowly, she walked.

 

...83....

 

Every step she took is accompanied by her constant sighs and regret.

 

…..84…

 

It’s like I won 10 million in the lottery but I didn’t claim it.

 

….85…

 

As she whispered the 85th number, Eunsol suddenly realizes that she was just 2 counts away from dating a stranger. Oh my gosh. Is it really that fast? Why didn’t I notice?

 

…86…

 

If he turns out to be one of the wrong choices, I can always just skip him right?

 

Eunsol shut her eyes close as she stopped walking. This is it. Eunsol-ah, fighting. She encouraged herself a little as she closed her eyes.

 

And slowly, she opened her eyes, getting to ready to see the 87th guy. But to her dismay, when she opened her eyes, all that she can see are girls.

 

GIRLS. GIRLS. GIRLS.

 

What happened to all the guys? Where are they when I need them the most?!

 

Eunsol felt really really bad. I should’ve gone after number 71. She pouted sadly.

 

She’s already thinking of giving up.

 

That’s when, she saw a guy who has just left a coffee shop. Her eyes widened.  A GUY. He’s doesn’t look too young. And not too old either. And his body is just right. And I think he’s slightly better than number 71. No scratch that. He’s way better than 71.

 

“Yes!” She pumped her fist happily. All of her hard work paid off. If number 71 was the 10 million category in a lottery. Then, number 87 was like the grand prize. 10,000,000 billion won.

 

Eunsol walked towards him. Butterflies rapidly increasing against her stomach. She immediately noticed her sweaty palms. She was nervous. Too nervous to be exact. She was just about to do something really stupid after all. Eunsol rubbed her palms together to reduce her nervousness a little.

 

Number 87 was now 5 steps in front of her.

 

And mind you, he looked even better in a closer sight.

 

But he looks like a cold person. Like those cool guys on drama who brings nothing but heartbreak. He looks exactly like those.

 

It seemed as if he was in a bad mood. And I think it’s not really a good idea to ask him something silly like to date me.

 

But he’s already here. He’s number 87. If he refuses….. then I’ll just go to number 88 I guess… Eunsol silently thought as she stared at the ground. Now he was right in front of her. Eunsol bit her lower lip anxiously as she breathed deeply. She was still wondering if she should continue this.

 

 “87.” Eunsol mumbled quietly as she looked up to see the guy in front of her. He was staring right into her eyes. And his handsome face didn’t show any expression at all. He just stood there, staring coldly at her.

 

Eunsol stiffened. He looked at me as if I did something wrong. Should I just pretend that I didn’t see him? Should I just skip him? She thought as she stared at the guy in front of her. His expression didn’t even change. He was still staring at her coldly.

 

He’s already here. He’s even right in front of me. Why not try right? No one dies from humiliation after all. If he rejects me, then I’ll just run as fast as I can. Eunsol gathered all her strength and encouraged herself. There’s no turning back. This is it.

 

“H-hello…” She bowed to him a little.

 

He didn’t even respond. How great is that? He didn’t do anything other than to stare at her as if she did a crime.

                       

Eunsol looked around, trying to find an easy way to say something so damn hard. “The weather today… is quite nice right?” She gave him an awkward smile as she looked around.

 

He didn’t even bother to look anywhere. His eyes were fixed on her and her alone. And it made her even more nervous.

 

Say it! Say it! Eunsol cheered inside her head as she bit her lower lip as hard as she could.

 

“How about going around for a date?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can I just thank you guys?

 

THANK YOUUUUUUU! <333

 

I was just really happy because subscribed, there were also 3 upvoters and several heartwarming comments even though I just posted crappy foreword and description. Sorry. I got too excited. I didn’t really have time to think for the foreword and such so I posted this story right away after thinking for several hours. But I already arranged it. ;>

 

And I was too excited and kinda nervous at the same time about posting the first chapter. I really wanted to update it as soon as I could but I was waiting for the poster...but it's not done yettt. So yeahh. How’s the first chapter? Did you like it?

 

I hope you did. ^^

 

So yeah, thank you guys! I want to hug all of you. Come here lemme squish you one by one.

 

Have you seen EXO's Crunky Chocolate CF? Hehehehe. XD

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsGqg6K4cI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpzatLZ06S4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRzs43AM2xY

 

tumblr_mz7kajux4t1rgpyf3o3_250.gif