Chapter 24

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

At a distance, Minseok didn’t even recognize them. He thought it might be just another couple spending some time together. Another mushy couple. And at first, he didn’t care. It didn’t even matter to him. But as they got closer to him, as they walked further to his direction, the more he tried to deny the fact that the couple he was seeing was Jongdae and Eunsol, the more they turned to look like Jongdae and Eunsol to his eyes.

 

It was weird.

 

Really weird as a matter of fact.

 

And at first, he thought it’d never happen. His bestfriend, Kim Jongdae wouldn’t do something like this.

 

 

Right?

 

 

Jongdae knew that he liked Eunsol since the first day of high school. Minseok even asked for his help to get closer to Eunsol. But seeing them, walk hand in hand together, he thought that it was just impossible. There must be a reason why they were holding each other’s hands.

 

Maybe.. maybe Jongdae’s just helping her walk properly. Maybe, Eunsol twisted her ankle and she couldn’t walk properly that’s why Jongdae had to hold her hand.

 

Right?

 

Maybe it was like that.

 

It has to be that.

 

It should’ve been that.

 

But when he saw Jongdae leaned in closer to her to kiss her forehead, he felt his world slowly shattering before him as he watched the two smile warmly at each other. Now, he couldn’t come up with any excuse about why his best friend would kiss the girl he likes.

 

 

 

‘I actually like Eunsol. And I see that the two of you are quite close. Jongdae, will you help me get closer to her?’

 

 

 

So that was why he couldn’t answer him back then.

 

Because he likes her as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Let’s do this.” was what Jongdae said when they both realized that Minseok had seen them.

 

There was no other way but to just admit it anyways. They have no other choice.  Besides, Jongdae would feel worse if he continued to lie to his friend. So he thought that they should tell him the truth today even though it will hurt him.

 

Eunsol worriedly turned to him. “Are you going to fight with him?”

 

Jongdae snickered at her, showing her his milky white teeth while smiling to ease the tension she might be feeling. “Were men. Fighting is what real mean does.”

 

“He’s your friend.” she reminded him even though he never forgot.

 

Jongdae slowly nodded at her. “Yes. He’s my friend.” He turned to look at her. “And you’re my girlfriend. I treasure you more.” He added with a smile while messing with her hair.

 

“I should come with you.” Eunsol told him worriedly.

 

“No need to. It’s between us. Don’t worry. No matter what, I’ll come back alive.”” with that, Jongdae left, leaving Eunsol in more worry because of the last things he just said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry.” After a few minutes of mustering up his courage a simple ‘I’m sorry’ was all he could say to his best friend. And he was fully aware that his simple 'sorry' wouldn't work like magic and patch things up just like that. He didn’t know where to start off. It was a long story and he didn’t actually want to give out the specific details because he didn’t want to hurt him more.

 

Minseok eyed him. His high cheekbones. His camel like eyes. His every feature. Up until now, he still couldn’t accept the fact that this guy, who turns out to be his best friend just betrayed him. “For what?” he asks even though he already know the answer.

 

Jongdae breathes heavily as he looks away, not even being able to look at him in the eye. “For everything.” He whispers softly as he stared at the ground, swallowed by his guilt.

 

Minseok bitterly smiles at him. “For everything?” Jongdae slowly looks up to him. “So you’re being sorry for stealing her, for lying to me, for hurting me, for being such a coward, for—“

 

“I didn’t mean to! Do you really think I wanted this?! You think it’s easy?” Jongdae angrily exclaimed at him, not being able to contain his feelings anymore. He knew that he doesn’t have the right to be angry right now. But he just can’t help it.

 

“What am I supposed to do when I love her so much that I thought I was going to die when I saw you with her? I love her so much! How am I supposed to change that?” he asked Minseok desperately.

 

The next thing he knew, Minseok was already holding him tightly by his collar, looking at him with anger in his eyes.

 

He’s never seen Minseok like this before.

 

And it really pains him to see him like this now because he knew he was the reason why Minseok is being like this.

 

Jongdae breathed heavily, despite the fact that Minseok was grabbing him by the collar, he stayed calm and patient. “I tried. Believe me, I really tried to set aside my feelings for her. I tried to just back away. But I couldn’t. I really couldn’t. I’m sorry.”

 

As much as Minseok wanted to strangle Jongdae to death, he knew that he couldn’t. Jongdae is his best friend. Yes, Luhan is always there for him. But still, things are different whenever this clown faced guy is around.

 

He is his best friend.

 

Jongdae is the person who knew his deepest secrets. The first person who was the reason why he cut classes. The guy who taught him how to play video games and to go home late. Very late. It sounds bad, but it isn’t so bad. This guy is the reason why he had so many friends. Actually Jongdae taught him how to enjoy life and break some rules.

 

Jongdae …is someone who is really special to him.

 

“You know what? It’s more frustrating to me because you’re my best friend. I want to hurt you and yet I couldn’t. Because it’s you.” Slowly, Minseok’s grip on his collar loosened. He knew he couldn’t hurt him. Without saying another word, he turned around and slowly started to walk away. He didn’t know what to do or to say anymore.

 

“Yah! Where are you going?” he heard Jongdae’s high pitched voice calling him. But he didn’t care to look back. What he needs right now is a quiet place wherein he can think and reflect.

 

“Wait for me!” Jongdae exclaimed again. Minseok could hear him running towards him. Jongdae caught up on him and stopped him from leaving by placing his hand on Minseok’s shoulder.

 

When Minseok turned to look at him, that’s when Jongdae suddenly punched him. Minseok slightly lost his balance as he held his aching left jaw. Then he turned to Jongdae. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” he exclaimed at him.

 

Jongdae smiled widely to irritate him more. “For knowing Eunsol first… I hate you for that.”

 

And by then, Minseok knew that he didn’t even have to think twice before punching Jongdae back. With one swift motion from Minseok, Jongdae landed on the floor, not able to take his punch.

 

Minseok slightly shook his head as he eyed Jongdae who was lying  at the floor. “Just why did you punch me? Look at you, you couldn’t even stand up now.” He mumbled.

 

Jongdae slowly sat up. “If I didn’t punch you, you wouldn’t punch me either.” He told him with a smile. “I want you to punch me until the pain you’re feeling inside finally fades away. That way, I can be okay.”

 

“Are you asking me to kill you?”

 

“Your fists aren’t deadly. Bun.” Jongdae grinned at him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So.. on our wedding day, can I still expect you to be my best man?” Jongdae asked as he turned to Minseok while trying to catch his breath. They were already done fighting and throwing punches at each other. And now, they’re already sitting at the floor while trying to catch their breaths.

 

“You sure you won’t regret it?” Minseok asked, not even bothering to open his eyes. His sweat was trickling down his forehead as he spoke.

 

Jongdae smiled at him. “Why would I?”

 

“We’ll never know. Eunsol might just take me instead of you. You know, she might realize that I’m a lot better than you. Last minute realizations.” Minseok coolly shrugged at him.

 

Jongdae rolled his eyes with a small chuckle. “Oh please.”

 

Minseok shrugs. “We’ll never know.” He mumbled as he wiped away the blood from the corner of his lips.

 

Jongdae glared at him. “You’re banned from my wedding then.”

 

After that, they laughed. They laughed like how they did before. They laughed like nothing happened. Like everything is just a big joke. And just like that, they both knew that everything is slowly going back to it’s place.

 

“Take care of her.” Minseok suddenly said. Jongdae turned to him. “Up until now, I still can’t comprehend why she chose you over me but.. just don’t hurt her. Okay?”

 

The corners of his lips turned up as he smiles while nodding his head. “Okay.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“If that’s what happened, you should’ve brought me with you hyung, then I would use my wushu skills on Jongdae hyung. But I don’t want to hurt him… But I want to help you… But still, I want to—“

 

“Tao.” Minseok started with a sigh.

 

“I can use a stick, nun chucks and I can also—“

 

“I’m fine. You don’t need to cheer me up. I just need some time to think. Just play with Luhan or someone else okay?”

 

“I get it.” Tao pouted from the other line as he quietly answered his hyung. “But hyung, I know someone who’s cute and has long hair and she looks like Eunsol from afar. Oh. Sorry about that hyung. I won’t mention Eunsol noona’s name ever again. I promise not to say Eunsol’s name ever again. Promise. I'll never mention Euns---sorry.”

 

 

 

“There are many girls out there. Seriously there’s so many girls! At your neighborhood, at the mart and at school….just not Lee Jieun okay?” It was none other than Zhang Yixing. “I’m saying this just in case you fell for the wrong person again.” He added.

 

“What?” Minseok asked him with furrowed brows. Lee Jieun? Isn’t that Eunsol’s best friend?

 

“You can go and date other girls. Anyone. But not Lee Jieun. Okay?” Lay asked him again, this time in a more firm tone.

 

“You… do you like her?” Minseok asked as he smiled. So our unicorn finally fell in love. He thought as he shook his head while smiling.

 

“NO!” Lay shouted at him as if he said something very wrong. “She’s weird. She doesn’t suit your taste at all. And she calls me a unicorn. And …yes I like her and I don’t want us to fight too in the end so I’m telling you this. You can like anyone else but not her. Okay?”

 

“Yixing I don’t—“

 

“Just say ‘okay’ Dammit. You’re making me nervous! You don’t like her ..don’t you?”

 

Minseok smiled. “Oh, I think I do. She’s cute isn’t she?”

 

And then, the line went off. Yixing ended the call, leaving Minseok with smiles.

 

Sometimes, Yixing can be very cute.

 

 

 

 

“I told you so. You should just be with me. Even the girls wants us to be together.” Luhan chuckled at him over the phone.

 

“Are you gay Luhan?”

 

“I’m definitely straight! I’m the manly manly Lulu!”

 

 

 

“Bzzzz”

 

Minseok eyed his phone while it kept on ringing. Kris’s name was blinking on the screen. He’s calling him just like how Luhan and the others did earlier.

 

Finally, Minseok decided to answered the phone after five consecutive rings. “Hey, what took you so long to answer the phone?” Kris asked in an annoyed tone.

 

“I know that you guys are just trying to cheer me up after all the things that happened. But stop calling me one by one and giving me love advices will you? It’s not like I’m going to commit suicide anyways. Okay? Stop calling me and give me some time to think.” He said as he ended to call, not even giving Kris to say one mre word.

 

After exchanging blows and patching things up with Jongdae, Minseok thought that he should go somewhere quiet for him to think things through.

 

And he thought that the nearest convenience store at the school would be okay. He had no choice anyways. He just needs somewhere quiet wherein he could have time to think. Somewhere peaceful, somewhere—

 

“Lalala lalala lalalala~ Happiness!”

 

And just like that, Minseok’s little bubble of silence just bursted. He turned to his left where the sound was coming from and saw a girl, most probably in her highschool, he could tell since she was wearing a uniform. She was singing loudly while bobbing her head up and down. Completely drown in the music from her earphones.

 

Minseok sighed as he shook his head and tried to maintain his composure. Be patient. Just be patient. He recited to himself on and on. He already fought with Jongdae earlier. He can't possibly start another fight now. Specially with a girl. That's a big no. He thought as he shook his head.

 

Lalala lalala lalalala~

 

But as time goes by, the girl's voice apparently got louder and more irritating to his ears. And Minseok couldn’t hold it in anymore so decided to talk to her. “Excuse me.” He mumbles politely.

 

The girl didn’t even budge. Maybe she couldn’t hear him probably because of her earphones. She's still singing happily to herself.

 

“Miss.” Minseok called her again. This time in a much louder voice.

 

Still, she didn’t hear him. Minseok irritatedly inched closer towards her and tapped her shoulder, desperate enough to tell her that she’s disturbing him.

 

Finally, the girl looked back at him with a questioning look. “What is it?” She asks softly.

 

“Your voice is too loud. Can you please—“  

 

“What?” She asked with furrowed brows, she couldn’t hear him because her earphones were still in her ears.

 

“Please lower down your voice.” Minseok told her with a frown, his voice was alot louder than it was before. And it made the girl annoyed. She took off her earphones and turned to him with a glare. “Are you trying to tell me that I’m too loud?” she asked.

 

Minseok nodded firmly. “Yes. You’re way too loud! I’m trying to concentrate here but I couldn’t because you’re singing loudly!” he finally exploded.

 

“This is a convenience store. I can do whatever I want to because I bought something. The store owner isn’t even complaining. Who are you to complain?”

 

“Look, I’m not trying to argue here. I just want you to lower down your voice. I just want a quiet place where I can think.”

 

“You want to be in a quiet place? Then go to the mountains and shave your head! You monk!” The girl exclaimed at him.

 

Minseok was beyond frustrated. This girl is really something. Girls should be quiet and demure and polite. But why isn't she? She's almost like a guy. He eyed her and his eyes flew to her nametag just above her chest. “Yoo.. Jae..Kyu..”

 

“ert!” the girl exclaimed as she defensively crossed her arms over her chest while glaring at him hard.

 

“I’m not a ert. I was just looking at your name tag. Hey---” He tried to explain it to her but she already stood up and walked away angrily.

 

“Aish. What a crazy girl. I hope not to meet you again. Ever.” Minseok mumbled to himself while shaking his head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?” Eunsol exclaimed the moment she saw Jongdae even from a far. She hurried to him and examined his face. Bruises here. Cuts there. So they really fought. Eunsol thought as she frowned in disappointment. She didn't like the fact that they really have to fight physically. She held his arm and gently pulled him towards the clinic. There's no way she'd let him go home in this state. “We should go to the clinic. I’ll take you—“

 

Jongdae ignored whatever she is saying and hugged her, ignoring the stinging cuts which ached when his body collided with hers. “I’m fine.”

 

“But you’re wounded! Let me atleast apply some ointment to your wounds.” Eunsol told him as she tried to break free from his hug.

 

Jongdae just hugged her even tighter. Not wanting to let her go. It took him so much just to be with her. He wouldn't want to let go that easily.  “Let’s just stay like this for a little longer.”

 

Eunsol nodded as she hugged him back. "What happened?"

 

"I killed him. Park Eunsol will you still marry me even if I become a prisoner?" Jongdae asked her as he pulled away from the hug to see the look on her face.

 

 

Eunsol was looking at him coldly. "Stop joking around." 

 

"Why? You really won't marry me if I become a prisoner?" Jongdae asked her again as if she just said something unbelievable.

 

Eunsol shook her head with a smile as she grabbed his arm and started to walk away. "We have to treat your wounds first. Do you want to have scars huh?" she asked him as she turned to face him.

 

"I don't." Jongdae answered her as he held her arm and entangled his fingers within hers. “Do I still look handsome to you even if my face is all bruised?” Jongdae asked her with a small pout, trying to look cute and all.

 

 

 

Eunsol just smiled as she nodded her head. “Yes. You’re still amazingly handsome.” she told him as she pinched his cheeks ."It feels great that everything's okay now. No more lies and pretending." she suddenly told him.

 

Jongdae nodded in agreement. "Yes. Now we can even kiss in the hallways right?" 

 

Eunsol just rolled her eyes at him for being so childish. "Right."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sooooooo the girl that Xiumin saw… hehehe. It’s the girl in Wrong Number. I decided to create a fic/sequel for Xiumin since I don’t want him to end up alone. Hahahahaha. XD

This fic will end in the next chapter? Hahaha. Maybe. :)

I was watching WINNER's Weekly Idol earlier and I really enjoyed it. It was so funny and the guys were really fascinating. Hehehe. Goodbye EXO. loljk.

tumblr_myp7gkVzxd1qg24h1o1_r1_500.gif