Chapter 15

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

Eunsol tapped the tip of her pen at her desk while she hummed into a random song. Every time the door would open, her eyes would lit up and automatically turn towards the door, thinking that it was him.

 

Jongdae just left yesterday without saying a word. He doesn’t even reply to her messages. That jerk. Really.

 

And that’s why she couldn’t help but worry about him. She wanted to ask about what happened to him yesterday, where he went and why he wasn’t replying to her.

 

Finally, the guy she’s been looking for came inside. He was greeted by a few students and he greeted back with a smile and then, he turned to his seat, which was beside her’s.

 

“Good morning.” Eunsol smiled at him as he plopped down towards his seat.

 

Jongdae smiled a bit. “Good morning.” he greeted her back as he arranged his bag to the side.

 

Eunsol stared at him, watching his every move. She just couldn’t feel at ease. There was something that’s definitely off with him.

 

Jongdae wasn’t really like this. He was usually cheerful and he’d start poking fun at her the moment he arrives. But today, he didn’t. He didn’t even call her ‘Eunsollie’ and his smile, it wasn’t like his smile before.

 

Where were you yesterday? What happened to you? Were you able to read the messages I sent to you? Why didn’t you reply? Of all of those questions that she wanted to ask him, there was only one thing she could ask. And it was not in the choices. It was something that just came out of . She felt like that was the question that she needed to ask the most.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Jongdae turned to her with a nod. “Yup.”

 

Eunsol wasn’t convinced. “Really?”

 

He nodded once more. “Really.”

 

“You don’t have anything that’s bothering you?” she asked again, she was hoping that he’d speak up and share his thoughts with her. Who knows, she might just be of help. "Yesterday you---"

 

“Have you finished the exercises Mr. Yoon gave us yesterday?” Jongdae asked her with a sly smile. Eunsol’s eyes widened as she opened her notes, checking if they really have an assignment. And yes. They have an assignment. And she forgot to do it since she was waiting for him to call or even reply to her messages last night.

 

“I totally forgot!” Eunsol immediately took out her Math book and hastily opened it.

 

“It’s on page 234.” Jongdae added as he shook his head and lent her his assignment. “You may copy mine if you want.” She always tends to forget the exercises Mr. Yoon gives them.

 

Eunsol smiled at him. “Thanks.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae silently watched her as she copied his homework. And he remembered that she asked him earlier if there was something bothering him. He actually wanted to say ‘yes’ But if she asked him what it was, he couldn’t actually tell her that he’s been thinking if he’s actually in love with her. So he just pretended as if everything was okay.

 

It was not okay. Right now, there seems to be nothing that okay for him.

 

Last night, while he was reflecting on some things, he realized that he likes Eunsol. Like. Not love. And he ended up thinking about some situations.

 

What if they became together but then she realizes that she doesn’t like him that much and decides to leave him just like how his past girlfriend did? It’ll be another heartbreak. Lots of sleepless nights. He’d have nothing to do but to drown himself in alcohol and misery just like before. And certainly, Jongdae didn’t want that again.  All the pain he experienced before still haunts him today.

 

Or what if it was the other way around? What if in the middle of everything he realized that he doesn’t like her that much? Then, Eunsol will be hurt. And that’s not what he wants to happen.

 

In simpler terms, right now, Jongdae doesn’t want to take such risks and end up getting hurt or hurting someone else.

 

Unlike him, Minseok’s sure of his feelings for her. Maybe they are right. Maybe Eunsol should really be with him, instead of a coward jerk like him who knows nothing but to run away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Couple of days passed and Eunsol noticed how Jongdae’s been keeping his distance from her. Unlike his friends who are befriending her, he seemed to be avoiding her. The messages they exchanged with each other became lesser and lesser. He doesn’t walk her home anymore. Whenever she’ll ask him about it, he’d simply deny it with a smile saying that he’s okay and she doesn’t need to worry and all.

 

But whenever he says that, it makes her worry even more.

 

Even though he doesn’t say anything, she knows there was something going on with him. She knew that he’s having a hard time. And she thought she’d cheer him on from the sides.

 

So, Eunsol decided to make some fortune cookies for him today. She even woke up early so that he can place it in his locker without him noticing it.

 

“I hope he’ll like this.” she mumbled as she closed his locker door and walked straight to their classroom. She was thinking of getting some sleep since she woke up so early just to make those cookies.

 

“Jongdae would like those since he loves to eat right?” she mumbled to herself worriedly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae opened his locker to stuff his books inside but then, he saw a small box containing a fortune cookie. He took the small box and smiled. There’s only one person he could think of who’d do something like this.

 

 

Park Eunsol.

 

 

His smile widened just by the thought of her making this fortune cookie for him. Jongdae was just about to open the cookie to see what was written inside but that’s when Yixing snatched it from his hands.

 

“How did you know that fortune cookies are my favorite? Thank you Chenchen! I’ll eat it well!” he cheered as he immediately placed the cookie in his mouth.

 

“Hey! What are you doing? That’s mine!” he exclaimed at him as he tried to get the cookie off his mouth. He was not able to get the cookie back since it already crumbled into smaller pieces. But thankfully, he managed to get the paper inside it.

 

Jongdae took the paper and wiped off Yixing’s saliva from it while glaring at him intensely. That was his fortune cookie. His. Eunsol made it for him. And yet, this unicorn stole it away. Great.

 

Yixing smiled at him as he gulped down the cookie. “It’s great Chenchen. Thanks!” he told him as he gave him two thumbs up.

 

Jongdae just sighed at him and opened the small piece of paper.

 

 

‘If you don’t cheer up right now, bad luck will fall on you. Cheer up. Jongdae fighting!’

 

 

An appreciative smile spread upon his lips as he read what she wrote for him. He may not have eaten the cookie thanks to Yixing, this small note was enough for him to lighten up his mood.

 

“Thanks Eunsollie.” he mumbled as he folded the paper and placed it in his pocket and he then headed to his room, wanting to see her as soon as possible.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunsol was sleeping at her desk when he had seen her. She must’ve woke up so early just to make those for me. He thought as he sat beside her, trying his best not to make any loud noises since he’s afraid that she might wake up.

 

For now, he wants to watch her sleep. Just that. Nothing else.

 

“Jongdae! You’re early today! Good morning!” Daehyun greeted him with a smile. Jongdae winced as he turned to his classmate, signaling him to shut up. But he couldn’t get what he was trying to say.

 

“What? What did you say?” he asked, his voice was now louder than ever.

 

Jongdae just shook his head. Forget it.

 

“I have some cheesecake here. Do you want some?” Daehyun asked again as he showed him his beloved cheesecake.

 

This time, Eunsol woke up because he was too loud. Jongdae frowned. She needs to sleep more. It’s because Daehyun’s mouth is so loud.

 

“You’re ..here?” she mumbled as she rubbed her eyes, trying her best to stay awake. “Did you get the fortune cookie?” she asked him with a smile.

 

“Huh?” he mumbled not knowing what to say.

 

 “The fortune cookie. Did you eat it?” she asked again.

 

“Oh. That. It was from you?”

 

Eunsol slightly frowned at what he said. “Yes. It was from me. Why? Who were you expecting? Are you expecting someone else?”

 

“No. I just… didn’t think you’d make one for me.”

 

“Well, I did.” Eunsol smiled. “Did you see the message inside?” she asked him eagerly.

 

“There is?”

 

“What’s with you? You don’t know what a fortune cookie is? There’s a small note inside! How can you eat it all? Aish.” Eunsol mumbled in irritation. This guy just doesn’t realize her efforts.

 

Jongdae just laughed at her. Teasing Eunsol is really fun. And slowly, the annoyance and frustration she feels faded away because of his melodic high pitched laugh.

 

Eunsol stared at him. It’s been a long time since she’s seen him like this. Maybe her efforts didn’t really go to waste.

 

Jongdae noticed that she’s staring at him and turned to her. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“I missed you.” she says, her eyes suddenly turned glum.

 

He chuckled once more, brushing it off as a joke. “What are you saying? I’m always present. How would you miss me then?”

 

“I miss the old Jongdae. Where is he? When is he going to return?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

He simply shrugged. “I don’t know.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hearteu.<3