Chapter 21

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

“Sir? Wake up. We’re about to close now.” A gentle tap on the back from the store manager woke Jongdae up from his dreamland.

 

He slowly sat up and rubbed his left eye trying to shake away his drowsiness. “Eunsol… where’s Eunsol?” he asked as he looked around only to find no one aside from the two of them inside the café.

 

“Eunsol? You mean Park Eunsol? She just left a few minutes ago.”

 

“.” Jongdae silently cursed as he stood up and tried to fix his crumpled shirt. I definitely told her to wait for me. Why did she leave?

 

“But she left with a guy.” The store manager added.

 

Double . Jongdae frowned in an instant. “A guy?”

 

The man nodded as he tried to visualize the face of the guy who was with Eunsol earlier. “He was around her age and he had chubby cheeks. And they kind of look good together.”

 

At the mention of ‘chubby cheeks’, Jongdae immediately knew who it was. “Minseok.” He mumbled through gritted teeth. Tch. Why the hell would they look good together? No freaking way.

 

“I have to go now.” Jongdae bowed to the store manager before finally walking away. He said they just left a few minutes ago. So if he would try to, maybe he can still find them.

 

Maybe.

 

And he wasn’t wrong. He found them.

 

It’s just that, they’re in each other’s arms when he saw them. He was just a few blocks away from them but he couldn’t afford to take one step closer.

 

“Just forget about Jongdae. I’m here. I’ll never hurt you.” Even though Jongdae was away, he had clearly heard what Minseok said.

 

What should he do first? Get Eunsol away or punch Minseok square in the face? The second option seemed to be more interesting to him though.

 

“Just forget about him okay?” Minseok said as he gently patted the back of her head.

 

“No. Don’t forget about me.” Jongdae mumbled softly. “Eunsol-ah!” he exclaimed, trying to get her attention. But it seemed as if she didn’t hear him.

 

“Yah! Park Eunsol!”

 

No matter how loud his voice was, she couldn’t hear him.

 

“Eunsol---“

 

“Yah.” A loud and deep voice matched with a light kick on the chair woke him up from his nightmare. It was a dream. A terrible dream.

 

Now, he was really awake.

 

“Why are you sleeping here? The manager will scold me if he sees you. Please leave.” The guy who works at the café told him in a cold voice. He seemed a bit irritated. Ah no. He seemed really irritated. But Jongdae didn’t care. This guy just saved him from his nightmare. He turned to see his nametag to know the name of his savior.

 

“Kim Taehyung.” Jongdae carefully read every single letter on his nametag.

 

Taehyung turned to him with an annoyed look. His lips were twitched to the side and he had a deep frown on his face. He looked totally unamused by his mere existence. “What?” he snapped.

 

Without saying anything, Jongdae hugged him. “Thank you Taehyung-ah. You just saved me from a life and death situation.”

 

Taehyung instinctively pushed him away and started to stare at him in disgust. Is he gay? He thought as his deep frown deepened even more.

 

“I’m not into guys.” He declared as he stared at Jongdae with a judging look.

 

Jongdae heartily laughed at what he had heard. “Me neither.” And with that, he left Taehyung there still thinking if he’s even normal or what.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“This time you won’t be able to avoid me.” Jongdae mumbled to himself as he gently knocked on the wooden door. He was outside Eunsol’s house. And this time she wouldn’t be able to run away from him like she just did earlier.

 

Few seconds later, he could her hear small steps shuffling towards the door. He unknowingly smiled as he imagined her hurrying towards him. She would’ve looked cute.

 

The door opened and Eunsol popped her head outside to who was knocking at her door. “Who’s there—” her smile automatically faded when she realized that her visitor was no one but him. Eunsol was just about to close the door shut but Jongdae prevented that from happening by sticking out his foot on the doorway.

 

Eunsol tried to kick his foot away but still, he didn’t even move an inch. So she tried to squeeze his foot by trying to close the door. She was thinking that he’d pull his foot away but she was wrong. “Remove your foot. You’ll break the door.” She mumbled with a glare.

 

Jongdae pouted at her trying to ignore the fact that his foot was already sore. “You’re more concerned about the door rather than my safety? That’s makes me so sad Eunsollie.” He said as he placed his hand on his chest and acted as if he was really sad.

 

Eunsol rolled her eyes at him and tried to ignore the fact that he looked irresistibly cute when he pouted. “I’ll count to three. By then you should’ve removed that feet of yours or I’ll really—“

 

“Even if you count up to one hundred or one million or hundred thousand gazillions, I won’t remove my foot there.” Jongdae sternly announced as he pointed to his foot which was currently blocking the door. Thank God he wore his sneakers today, it doesn’t hurt that much. “We need to talk. We really need to.”

 

“Aren’t we talking right now?”

 

“How can we talk like this?!” he exclaimed feeling so unfair about the situation. He didn’t like this kind of setup. Why? If they talk like this, he won’t be able to do something which he really wants to do. Which is to hug her. And to kiss her as well.

 

“I’m a visitor. You should atleast let me in.”

 

“Your left foot is officially inside my house. Isn’t that enough?”

 

Eunsol have gotten brighter. And a little meaner. Jongdae thought as he stared at her. “I mean me. As in me. Not just a part of me.”

 

“Fine.” Eunsol sighed in defeat. Jongdae smiled. He knew she wouldn’t be able to resist him and his charms. “You’re going to let me in now?” he asked as he slowly removed his feet at the doorway.

 

And at that time, he didn’t realize that she was smiling mischievously at him. “What time is it?” Eunsol suddenly asked him.

 

Jongdae glanced at his watch and carefully read the time. “It’s 7:42” he read aloud and when he looked up, Eunsol had just slammed the door at his face. What a brilliant idea.

 

“YAH! THAT’S NOT FAIR! YOU SAID YOU’LL LET ME IN!” he exclaimed as he knocked again.

 

“I never said that.” He could hear her muffled voice over the other side of the door. “Just go away. I don’t want to talk to you.”

 

“I won’t leave here until we finally sort things out. You heard me didn’t you? I won’t leave here.” He declared as he sat on ground. He’s really not intending to just leave like that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Am I too harsh?” Eunsol wondered as she walked inside the living room in circles. “I was pushing the door so hard earlier. What if Jongdae’s foot got hurt? Should I give him a medicine kit? What if he’s hungry? Maybe I should bake some cookies…”

 

And that’s when she realized that what she was thinking of just now was wrong. Eunsol immediately shook her head thinking that it’ll help in clearing out her thoughts.

 

“I should not be concerned. Get it straight. He doesn’t like you okay? He’s helping Minseok. He doesn’t like you. So if you go out there and talk to him again, you’ll just get hurt again.” She recited to herself as she stared at the door. At the back of that woden door was the guy she loves and the same guy who doesn’t love her back.

 

“Just go away.” She mumbled as if he could hear her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Eunsol fluttered her eyes open, it was already 11:00. She had fallen asleep on the couch. And the first thing that came to her mind was a certain clown faced guy named Kim Jongdae.

 

He’s not possibly still there right?

 

He left.

 

Right?

 

As much as she wanted to convince herself that he already gave up and left, there was this tiny room in her heart which actually wished for him to be there.

 

“Remembering his last words earlier, he said he won’t leave until we sort things out. Does that mean that he’s really there?” she panicked as she ran towards the door and slowly opened it. When she turned to her left, that’s where she saw him sitting there while hugging his knees to his chest.

 

And what’s damn worse is his clothes and his hair were soaking wet. It rained. And she didn’t even notice because she was asleep. Damn it.

 

“Why are you still here?” she asked him as tears were slowly pooling up at the back of her eyes. He sure is an idiot for staying. But she is worse than him. A much bigger idiot for leaving him here and just sleeping comfortably on the couch while he’s shivering here in the cold.

 

Upon hearing her voice, Jongdae looked up to her and gave her a soft smile. “I knew you’d come out. It just took a bit longer than expected.” He slowly got up on his knees and walked towards her direction. “But still, you’re here. That’s what matters.”

 

How can you still smile at a time like this? You stupid. Why are you saying those words? It just makes me confused. She couldn’t say those words to him and without her knowing it, tears started cascading down her cheeks. She was crying because they’re both stupid and idiot and dim-witted and brainless and.. because after all, she still loves him.

 

“Are you …crying?” Jongdae asked mortified to see her crying again. “What did I do? I haven’t even done anything yet. Why’re you crying? Don’t cry. It makes me feel awful.” Jongdae told her as he tried his best to soothe her. God. He really hated it whenever she cries.

 

“Because… you look ..sick. And I …don’t have …medicine for… colds.” She said in between her sniffles. “And now I have to buy you a medicine. Do you know how far away the nearest pharmacy is?” that was her lamest response in all of her life and she didn’t expect Jongdae to just buy it.

 

“I’m not sick.” He lied as he gently ruffled her hair.

 

His hand was so cold. And by just looking at the color of his lips, she could tell that he was clearly not okay.

 

“I’m just a little dizzy.” And then, that’s when he collapsed. On her.

 

“Liar. You said you’re not sick.” She mumbled as she sighed. This is going to be a long night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm sorry it took sooooo long. TT.TT

I wasn't really planning on updating this today but.. here it is. Hahahaha. XD

Byeee. <3