Chapter 12

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

Minseok lightly tapped his slender fingers on the windowpane as he bobbed his head up and down, following the rhythm of the music from his phone.

 

 

Today is his first day of his freshmen year in the university. And as of the moment, mixed feelings were building up inside his chest. He was excited but scared at the same time. Why would he be scared? Well for the rest of his life, everyone’s been telling him that college life is too different from middle school and grade school. That it’s too hectic. The professors doesn’t care about their students and all.

 

 

So basically, they’re all meaning to say that college is hell.

 

 

But he thinks that they’re kind of exaggerating. Specially his friends. A smile spread upon his lips as he remembered the silly promise he had with them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Okay. Let’s do this. The first one to have a girlfriend in the University is the most handsome okay. No more arguments. That'll be final.”

 

 

 

 

 

He lightly shook his head as he remembered Luhan bring that up. That deer really. He thought with an amused smile. Luhan thought of it because they’re always, always arguing about who’s the most handsome and all.

 

 

Kris would always and forever insist that he is the number one among them mainly because of his height. And of course Jongdae would immediately step up and claim that it's him and his cheekbones. Luhan would say that it's him and his captivating deer eyes. Tao would disagree  to them saying that it's him and his aegyo that the girls fall for even though the main focus of his face is his dark eye circles. Yixing would calmly tell them that his visuals are good too. And Minseok? Well, he thinks he’s not really lacking when it comes to visuals. But doesn't really mind who’s more handsome and all. He's just thankful he's friends with these dorky idiots.

 

 

Since they can't settle on who is the most handsome among them, Luhan created that kind of competition using his very brilliant mind according to him.

 

 

Minseok turned to the windowpane once more and watched the rain. A smile appears in his lips as he looked at the surroundings slowly being drenched by the dripping rain. Serene. Calm. Quiet. That was what rain is for him. For some reasons, Minseok liked the rain.

 

 

But he loved the snow even more.

 

 

As much as Minseok likes the rain, Minseok disliked attention. He doesn’t like it when numerous pairs of eyes were fixed on him and everything he’s doing. It makes him feel conscious and uneasy at the same time. He didn’t like being the center of interest. If it’s possible, Minseok wants to just blend in the crowd. That’s why his friends labeled him as an introvert. Shy. Withdrawn. Timid. They weren’t wrong. But they’re not actually right.

 

 

He just doesn’t know how to express himself.

 

 

Minseok is always quiet, reserved and prepared. Specially on rainy days like this, he couldn’t possibly leave the house without bringing his umbrella.

 

 

Unlike this girl who just came inside the bus. Her head hung low as she walked inside the bus. Her shoulder length hair’s a mess. And her uniform was dripping wet. It was really obvious that she forgot to bring an umbrella. The girl looked around trying to find any open seats and she luckily found one.

 

 

 

 

It was a seat next to him.

 

 

 

 

As he saw her staring to the empty space beside him, Minseok shifted immediately to his right for her to be able to sit comfortably.

 

 

“Thanks.” she mumbled. Her voice sounded cold but nevertheless, it was lovely and gentle.

 

 

He gave her a small nod which he presumed she didn’t get to see for she was too busy arranging her fringe. He silently watched as she carelessly wiped her face with her pink handkerchief. And he can hear her murmuring ‘I should’ve brought my umbrella. The news about the weather this morning was totally wrong.’ she mumbled to herself with a small pout. And unknowingly, a smile has made it’s way to his lips.

 

 

For some strange reasons, he found this girl cute.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thirty minutes. It takes him thirty minutes to travel from his house going to school using the bus.

 

 

And today, during these thirty minutes, he wanted to ask her if she’s okay or if she’s cold. He wanted to give his handkerchief to her. He realized that she’s studying in the same university as him because of her uniform. And he wanted to ask if she’s a freshman too. What class she is in. What her hobbies are and more.

 

 

But he couldn’t bring himself to talk to her. Heck he couldn’t even open his mouth to talk.

 

 

Fifteen minutes has passed and he has not even said a single word.  

 

 

Minseok sighed as he has finally thought of giving up. He’s not really good with conversing with people he just met. He just turned to his right and watched the rain. She might ignore me and think that I’m –

 

 

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt a light weight fell over his shoulder. And when he checked to see, it was her.

 

 

She fell asleep. And she unconsciously placed her head on his shoulder.

 

 

He knew it was kind of bad manners to stare at anyone who’s asleep, but he couldn’t stop himself. Her face was just a few centimeters from his. This close, he could see how long and pretty her eyelashes were. Her porcelain skin. Her cute nose. And her soft, pink lips. And without him noticing it, his heart was already thumping wildly beneath his chest.

 

 

When he first sat on the bus, he wished for the ride to be shortened. He wanted to get to school as quick as he could since it’s his first day.

 

 

But right now, as of this moment, he’s wishing for a little bit of traffic. It wouldn’t hurt to be late on the first day of classes. He just wanted to lengthen this even only for a little while.

 

 

 

“Sucheon University!” the driver hollered as the bus halted to a stop causing the girl beside him to be wide awake. One by one the students got off and so is she. Minseok silently sighed as he grabbed the straps of his backpack. The girl who was beside him few seconds earlier was now already alighting from the bus.

 

 

 

It was still raining hard and clearly, his prayers weren’t answered.

 

 

 

The university was just a few steps from the bus stop at the other street. And since the traffic sign was green, the cars were speeding and the students were waiting for their turn to walk. Minseok took out his umbrella and saw her. Again. She was standing behind the pile of students who had their umbrellas and happily chatting with each other.

 

 

She impatiently tapped her foot on the ground as she stared at the traffic light. She was waiting for it to switch to red so that she can cross. She didn’t have an umbrella so she used her hand to cover her head but it was no use. The rain was so strong.

 

 

Minseok didn’t have to think twice and he quickly took a step closer to her. He purposely placed the umbrella on his farthest left side so that she won’t be drenched by the rain.

 

 

When she noticed that she wasn’t being soaked by the rain, she looked up. There was a light blue umbrella sheltering her from the rain. And Kim Minseok was holding that certain umbrella.

 

 

She turned to him and genuinely smiled as her eyes met his. “Thank you.”

 

 

Earlier, at the bus, when she arrived with messy hair and soaked clothes, he thought that she was cute. When she fell asleep on his shoulder, he thought that she was pretty. But now that she’s smiling at him, she was definitely beyond beautiful.

 

 

And he didn’t notice that the light already turned green. In the street. And in his heart as well.

 

 

The blinking streetlights were green. His cheeks were tinted with a tinge of pink. And the warm and fuzzy feeling in his chest, there's no mistaking it. It was red. Definitely red.

 

 

They walked along in silence and Minseok hated himself for not being able to say anything. A few more steps and they’re at the other side of the road.

 

 

Should I ask her where her classroom is and take her there? He thought as he eyed her from the corner of his eyes. I should.

 

 

But even before he could open his mouth,

 

 

"Eunsol-ah!”

 

 

The girl beside him looked up and tried to see who called for her. And a smile made it’s way to her lips as she saw a girl waving happily at her at the other side of the street. They seemed to be friends. Does this mean she's leaving already? His heart sank as he sighed.

 

 

“Thank you for sharing your umbrella with me and ..at the bus.. earlier. The seat." she mumbled cutely as she didn’t know where to look. Her eyes were switching from him to her friend. "I need to go. Thank you again.” She said as she bowed twice and immediately walked towards the girl who called her earlier.

 

 

Minseok smiled in contentment as he watched her walk away.

 

 

“You're welcome. Eunsol-ssi.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

tumblr_n30z0xD8eb1sz0j5io1_500.gif

*coughs* MinSol. *coughs*

Hello to those who were expecting ChenSol.

Huehuehue. XD

 

 

I have a new fic featuring Minseokieee~. If you're interested, here's a link

 

 

Hearteu.

 

 

We reached 200+ subsssss. :))) Thanks guys. ^^