Chapter 19

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

“I honestly thought you’re one of my wisest friends.” Yixing said as he turned to Jongdae who was sulking in the corner, a few inches away from him. “But it turns out that you’re not.”

 

He had seen them. Yixing saw everything. He was on his way to his next class when he heard Jongdae screaming here and there. He didn’t mean to, but he had head every single thing they’ve talked about. How can he not when Jongdae’s so loud?

 

His lips formed a slight lazy smile. “Thanks. Those words are really encouraging Xingxing.” Jongdae mumbled sarcastically as he gave Yixing a glare. Shouldn’t he be atleast saying encouraging words to me? He’s even making me feel worse.

 

Yixing nodded with a genuine smile as he patted Jongdae’s right shoulder. “You’re welcome Chenchen.”

 

Jongdae silently sighed. It doesn’t matter whether his eyes were closed or not because he could clearly remember Eunsol‘s face when she was crying. And it kills him inside. He made her cry. And he couldn’t even do anything.

 

He silently watched her walk away. Of course he was thinking of going after her. But what would he say after catching up to her? Sorry is not enough.

 

It’s never going to enough.

 

He deflated as he hugged his knees. “I feel really miserable. Should I just die?” he asked.

 

“Hmmm.” Yixing gave it a thought while tapping his chin, his dimples showing in the process. “If you die, then Minseok and Eunsol will end up together. They will visit your grave with their hands intertwined. Do you want that? Or maybe they won’t visit you at all. Since they’re too busy with each other. But we will visit you don’t worry. And when Eunsol and Minseok gets married, we’ll be sure to leave a picture of their wedding on your grave. Do you want it to be on a frame or not? Should we also give you the negatives? And if they have kids---“

 

His head shot up to him. “Yah!” he exclaimed as his forehead creased deeply. The things Yixing were saying made no sense to him. “That’s not going to happen! How can you be like this? Shouldn’t you be consoling me right now? You’re just making me feel worse!” he blabbered out with a frown. " 'Jongdae-ya, don't worry, thing's will be better soon.' Isn't that what you're supposed to say?"

 

Yixing smiled at his friend’s childish behavior. “Go find her.” Yixing encouraged him. “Since she has short legs, she can’t go that far away. So she may still be around.”

 

Jongdae eyed Yixing coldly. He was clearly not pleased with how Yixing described her legs. “So what if they’re short? That’s better. I don’t like girls who are taller than me. That’d be weird. No matter what, Eunsol’s perfect. Don’t you dare find another flaw on her. Because there’s none.”

 

Yixing just nodded to irritate him more. "As you say so."

 

“Even if her legs are short, Eunsol has the prettiest legs! Even SNSD will be envious of her.” Jongdae told Yixing with a scowl.

 

He rolled his eyes at him. “Yeah. Whatever. I’m for f(x) anyways.” Yixing mumbled, but still it was loud enough for him to hear. He glanced at his friend who was too busy babbling about how could he diss about her and all. Seems like he really likes her. He thought as he smiled a bit. He likes her. But why did he let her go?

 

“If you like her that much then why did you lie?” Yixing finally voiced out one of the questions that has been on his mind for a while now.

 

“I’m ...afraid.” Jongdae spoke as he turned to his friend. Yixing nodded at him, signalling him to continue for he was listening. “I’m afraid that she’ll get hurt and I thought it’d be better---“

 

“You know what? She got even more hurt when you’re trying to protect her from being hurt.”

 

Yixing was undeniably right. And he hated that fact. He was preventing her from getting hurt and yet, he was the one who made her cry. And he couldn’t help but feel bad. Really bad.

 

“What about—“

 

“Minseok?” Yixing continued for him. Jongdae didn’t answer. And Yixing took his silence as a big ‘yes’

 

“He’s the eldest among us. I’m sure he’ll definitely understand. Minseok will get hurt either way if Eunsol rejects him because of you. So don’t try to save him from getting hurt.” Yixing told him. “And you’re not Superman. Kris is Superman. Why are you stealing his title?” he added.

 

The corners of Jongdae’s lips slowly moved up. Sometimes, even if Yixing is slightly weird, and even if he ate the first fortune cookie Eunsol gave him, he’s really dependable. And that is a fact.

 

“I should go now.” Jongdae said as he stood up and brushed off the dust in his pants.

 

“I should go with you.” Yixing said as he jogged beside him. Jongdae eyed him weirdly. “Huh? Why?”

 

Yixing smiled at him as he put up his hands. “I have to heal Eunsol’s arm.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Why are you crying? It’s his loss, not yours!”Jieun gently wiped her best friend’s tears with some tissue while scolding her roughly. Eunsol had already told her everything that happened today. Minseok’s confession and Jongdae being the biggest jerk she had ever known.

 

Instead of calming down, it made Eunsol cry even more. Because right now, no matter how she look at the situation. It was her loss. Hers. Not his.

 

“I told you to stop crying didn’t I?” Jieun frowned at her as she wiped Eunsol’s cheeks. “Do you know how much a roll of tissue costs these days? I have work today too! Are you going to pay me by wiping your tears?” Jieun tried to divert her attention, hoping that she’d stop crying soon.

 

“He … he doesn’t like me.” Eunsol croaked with a shaky voice. Her eyes were puffy and red she’s been crying for awhile now. She was hurt. Deeply hurt to be exact. She doesn’t even know if it was her hand or her heart. It doesn’t matter.

 

Up until now, she can still clearly remember his hurtful words. He doesn’t like her. Kim Jongdae doesn’t like her. And what’s worse is he’s just using her.

 

Unfortunately the guy whom she loves, doesn’t feel the same way.

 

“If only I could take those 87 steps back…”

 

If only she could, maybe she really would. If only she knew that meeting this guy named Kim Jongdae will only bring heartache and pain, she would’ve avoided him from the start.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, Jongdae wasn’t able to find her that day. And the following days as well. She was absent for two days already. Aside from her house, there’s only one place wherein she would go to use her free time.

 

The café where she works.

 

Jongdae nervously tapped his foot on the ground as he waited for Eunsol to go to his table and get his order.

 

From a distance, he could see her smiling as she served the other customers. “Is she really okay?” he mumbled worriedly as he carefully watched her. The patch in her arm made his heart twinge. It only reminds him that he had hurt her.

 

“I’m really sorry Eunsol-ah.” he whispered, wishing that she could hear him.

 

But of course she couldn’t. Eunsol was busy serving two highschool students who were definitely crushing on her. Jongdae frowned as he watched her interact with them.

 

“Why is she smiling at the guys too? Aish.” he mumbled in frustration. If she kept on smiling like that then, there’d be more competition for him.

 

When Eunsol left to take their orders, that’s when Jongdae approached the table of the highschool students.

 

“She’s really pretty.” Bambam mumbled as she dreamily stared at Eunsol who’s at the counter, getting their orders. “Do you think she has a boyfriend?” he asked Mark who was beside him.

 

Mark simply shrugged as he scanned the menu list . “Dunno. I’m just here because you’re always buying me free things for accompanying you.” he mumbled as he eyed the menu. “We should try the oreo thingy next time. It looks tasty.”

 

Bambam nodded with a smile. “Yes. Let’s come here again next time. So that I should see her again.”

 

Jongdae banged his fists at the table as he sat parallel to them. The two were startled by his sudden appearance. “Who are you? This table is already taken---“

 

“That pretty server is already taken too. Quit dreaming about the possibility of you being with her. She’s mine.” Jongdae declared proudly. He lied. Eunsol was never his. But still, he just can’t let someone take her away just like this kid who looks like an elementary schooler. What’s more is he has this weird hair color. It just doesn’t suit him at all. No. He's not insulting him. He's simply stating what he's seeing. 

 

And big no. He's not jealous just because Eunsol smiled at him. No.

 

Bambam frowned at him. “This ahjussi is scary. Is he crazy?” he mumbled as he turned to Mark.

 

Jongdae’s eyes widened. “Ahjussi?!” He knows he looked a bit matured and sometimes in the bus they don’t know that he’s a student and all. But this kid should be calling him ‘hyung’ shouldn’t he?

 

Nevermind. He didn’t want to be his hyung after all.

 

Never.

 

“You.” he mumbled as he pointed to Bambam. “And you.” he then pointed to Mark. “Leave. Now.” he instructed them as he pointed to the exit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongdae smiled to himself as he straightened out his shirt. He just had successfully eliminated the annoying kid. Well done. Now what I have to do is to talk to her. He thought.

 

First I should say sorry, the explain then I’d like to hug her if I could. But I think she won’t permit me to. Nevermind. No matter what, I have to say sorry. I have t---

 

His thoughts were interrupted when Eunsol suddenly showed up by his side. She was holding a tray with two drinks and some donuts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing here?” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EXO's going to have their concert in other countries tooooo. Is yours included in the 'Lost Planet' stops?

MINE IS. TT.TT

we.must.save.money.

 

If there's anyone there who's interested in a Kyungsoo story, I have one. Hehe. If your interested, click the link. If not, then ignore it. ^^

 

see you next update. ^^

 

hearteu.