Chapter 22

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

Eunsol placed her hand over his forehead and wasn’t exactly pleased with his current temperature. He already took the medicine earlier. Why isn’t it taking effect? She thought with a frown.

 

“Am I hot?” Jongdae softly asked as he opened his eyes and looked at her.

 

Eunsol nodded, still frowning. Maybe he just needs to rest more.

 

“I know.” He said weakly as he smiled. “I’ve always been hot.”

 

Eunsol was about to hit him for his ridiculous joke but she remembered that he was sick. He’s sick and yet he’s still like that. Aish. Whether he’s sick or not, Kim Jongdae will always be Kim Jongdae. “How can you still joke at a time like this?! Just rest!” She exclaimed at him.

 

“Are you that worried about me?” Jongdae asked her with a sly smirk.

 

“I’m not worried. Not even a slightest bit.” Eunsol told him as she crossed her arms. “I just want you to get well so that you can finally leave my house.” She lied.

 

Jongdae ignored what she just said because he knew that she was lying. “I missed you.” His voice, his gaze, everything became different when he said those words.

 

And at that time, Eunsol wanted to tell him how much she missed him too. But she couldn’t. Instead she just stared at him. I missed you too.

 

“Why are you staring at me like that?” Jongdae asked her. He then covered his chest with his hands and turned to her. “You’re not having any weird thoughts about me are you?”

 

Eunsol gave him a look before rolling her eyes at him. “Oh please.”

 

“I know that it’s only the two of us here. But you need to control yourself.” Jongdae told her as if he was reprimanding her.

 

“Stop hallucinating and change your clothes.” Eunsol told him as she went to her dresser and grabbed her old clothes. Then she tossed her old clothes to him. “Wear these.”

 

Jongdae sat up and instantly pulled up his shirt up to his chest. Right in front of her. He didn’t even turn his back on her. This guy really.

 

“What the hell are you thinking changing your clothes when I’m here?!” She exclaimed at him as she immediately turned around. Her cheeks were slowly turning pink.

 

“I don’t have chocolate abs.” Jongdae said as he placed his hand over his stomach. “Is that okay with you?”

 

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ASKING ME SUCH THINGS? Eunsol thought as she flustered red. “How would you have abs if you’re such a pig?” she managed to think of anything to say despite the fact that her mind is in a total mess right now.

 

Seriously. How can a guy cheerfully ask a girl if she’s okay with him not having abs and all?! Is that even normal? Well, whatever. Kim Jongdae was never normal anyways.

 

“I’ll just take that as a yes.”

 

“Just hurry up and get changed.”

 

“What’s so wrong with this? You’ll get used to it once we’re married.”

 

“Who’s marrying you?!”

 

“You.” Jongdae said as he arranged the hem of his shirt and turned to her. “I’m done changing. You can look now. Future Mrs. Kim.” He said emphasizing the last three words he said.

 

“I’m not going to marry someone like you.” Eunsol told him with a look.

 

“Because you’re going to marry me. Not someone like me. Right?” Jongdae asked as he smiled widely at her. “Kim Eunsol. Sounds good right?” he asked as he turned to her.

 

“Minseok’s surname is also Kim. Right?” she suddenly asked as she remembered Minseok. But she was just asking. There’s no meaning behind it. She just remembered him. That’s all. Nothing more. Nothing less.

 

His smile faded as he turned to her with a sharp look. “How can you think about other guys especially him when I’m right here, in front of you?” Jongdae exclaimed like a kid. “Stop thinking about him. I’m getting jealous.” He added as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

 

“Why are you jealous when you don’t even li---”

 

“Yah. Isn’t it obvious that I love you?”

 

She turned to him with furrowed brows, confused with what she just heard. ”Love?”

 

“What? You never knew? Are you that dense?” Jongdae asked her, there was a slight hint of irritation evident in his voice. He was thinking that all this time, she never knew that he loves her?

 

“If you love me then why did you help Minseok?” she asked him, determined enough to know his answer. If Jongdae really loves her, then shouldn’t he be stopping Minseok from meeting her and such? He even helped him get closer to her.

 

Jongdae breathed deeply before finally speaking to her. He knew that the time for him to explain everything to her has finally come. “It’s a long and boring story. I’ll just make it short for you.” He was smiling when he said those words. But his smile was not his usual happy smile. And Eunsol could easily tell that it was a fake smile.

 

“My first girlfriend which I really liked never really liked me. And she broke up with me because of that. And then, I ended up being an emo kid. That’s it.” He said as fast as he could. The tone of his voice was cheery but his eyes were definitely not. He was obviously trying to hide something. It was his pain.

 

It hurts seeing him like this. Where’s his usual cheerful self?

 

“And then I met you. Things started getting better. And it came to the point where I myself can’t deny the fact that I love you. But the thing is, I’m scared. What if you don’t like me that much? What if one day you realize that I’m not the one you’re looking for? What if you just thought of walking out of my life like she did? What about me then?”

 

“And that’s when Minseok came along asking me to help him with you. He said that he’s been crushing on you for a few years now and so on. Of course I wanted to say no. But then, I thought wouldn’t it be way better if you’re with a guy who’s not afraid of holding your hand thinking that one day, you’d let go of his? Wouldn’t it be better if you were with a guy who’s much better than me?”

 

And at that point Eunsol realized that Jongdae was insecure. He was so anxious and unsure of his own self. But she couldn’t blame him. He’d been hurt. Of course he would be afraid to try again. He was afraid that the same would happen to him again. But what saddened her even more is that he thinks so little of himself.

 

“Better than you?” a frown escaped her lips as she echoed his words. “What if I tell you that there’s no one better than you?”

 

How can this guy think so little of his own self when he’s too perfect for me?

 

“There’s no one better than me?” He finally looked up to meet eyes with her, only to see her smiling at him. Her smile meant that she accepts him for who he was before and who he is right now. Even if he had hurt her before, even if he even tried to just let her go, she still forgave him.

 

Tears were threatening to fall from his eyes but he did his best to stop them. He didn’t want to cry in front of Eunsol. No way.  “Even if I’m the coward guy who only thinks about himself, do you still—”

 

He was unable to finish what he was meaning to say because the next thing he knew, her lips were already on his.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re awake now?” Jongdae asked her as he saw her making her way to the kitchen.

 

“Morning.” Eunsol mumbled lazily.

 

“Good morning future Mrs. Kim.” He said as he flipped the pan. Eunsol walked over to him, curious of what he was trying to do and she was horrified to see what he was making. “Is that.. a pancake?”

 

“A heart shaped pancake.” Jongdae corrected her with a cheesy smile.

 

“Turn off the fire. Can’t you see that’s it’s already burnt?” Eunsol immediately turned the stove off and then she turned to Jongdae.

 

“It’s burnt?” he innocently asked her as he looked at his pancake. Yes. It looks dark brownish. But he’s still not convinced. “I just placed it in the pan. There’s no way it’d be cooked so fast.” He told her as if what she’s been trying to say is something that is so absurd.

 

“It only takes less than a minute for a pancake to be cooked.”

 

He pouted as he looked at the pancake. Slowly, he took a small bit of it and ate it. And  then he regretted it right away. She was right. It was burnt. Overly burnt to be exact. It was not even fit for human consumption and yet he wanted Eunsol to eat it.

 

“I wanted to make breakfast for you. But I can’t really cook. Sorry. I’ll just clean this up.” He thought as he went to the corner to grab a clean rag and started cleaning the mess he made with a slightly heavy heart.

 

“Are you mad at me?” he heard her ask. Jongdae simply shook his head. No he wasn’t mad. He was just looking forward to this. Besides, she already made a cookie for him before, so he thought he should do something for her too. “No. I’m just thinking of attending some cooking classes. Do you know where I could uh… enroll? I need to learn how to cook.”

 

Eunsol smiled at him and his childishness. “Why do you need to?”

 

“Girls prefer guys who can cook. Kim Minseok can cook.” Jongdae said as he turned to her. “And obviously, I can’t.” he said as quiet as he could, not wanting to accept the fact that Minseok was greater than him in one aspect.

 

She couldn’t just help but chuckle at his behavior. Jongdae is really.. cute.

 

“Are you laughing at me? Eunsol I’m serious. I’ll really enroll at a cooking school. Then I’ll make delicious dishes for you. Western. Chinese. Thai. Everything. I’ll cook every single dish. I promise.” He said in a serious tone.

 

Eunsol just nodded at him, she knew that if she will say something he’ll only make this conversatton longer. “Okay. I’ll look forward to that.” She told him with a smile. “But for now, I’ll just cook something for us.” Eunsol said as she placed the brunt pan on the sink and started cleaning it.

 

“Since I’m the one who caused this, I’ll clean it for you.” He said as he quickly grabbed the pan from her hands.

 

Eunsol was about to protest but that’s when the doorbell rang. They both looked at each other before Eunsol finally spoke. “I’ll just go get it.” she told him before finally walking towards the front door.

 

Few seconds later, she came back to him, in panic. “Don’t go outside. Don’t even peek. Okay?”

 

Jongdae furrowed his brows. He’s never seen her like this before. Why is she panicking?

 

“Why? Who is it? Why do I have to hide? Is it your mom?” he asked as he placed the sponge down and washed his hands.

 

“No.” Eunsol quietly shook her head as she eyed him. “It’s Minseok.”

 

His frown deepened as she mentioned his name. She’s panicking because Minseok is outside. And it irks him to the core. “Why do I need to hide if it’s only him?”

 

Why is she even panicking in the first place? It’s not like Minseok is her boyfriend. And then, the thought hit him. Are they officially together? The kiss last night, does that mean that she’s his girlfriend now?

 

“I’m not asking you to hide. Just don’t go outside.” Eunsol tried to explain.

 

“What’s the difference between the two then?” he asked her challengingly as he crossed his arms over his chest.

 

Stop being so stubborn. Now’s not the time for that.  Eunsol shot him a look before sighing deeply. “We’ll talk later okay?” she said before walking away.

 

Jongdae immediately caught her wrist before she could go farther away from him. “I said we’ll talk later did—“

 

“I love you.” He cut her off as he stared at her lovingly.

 

Eunsol smiled at him. “What are you trying to do?”

 

“Don’t you love me?” he asked her, his lips forming a pout.

 

“I do!”

 

“Do what?”

 

Eunsol rolled her eyes at him upon realizing that he’s just pulling out an act. “Kim Jongdae stop playing games with me.”

 

“Just tell me!” he whined like a kid. Why can’t she just say ‘I love you too’ easily? Aish.

 

“I love you. Is that oka—“

 

He placed his lips on top of hers as soon as he heard those three words that he wanted to hear the most. It was a tender and chaste kiss that they shared. Even though he didn’t want to, Jongdae pulled away and placed his forehead on hers. With his eyes fixed on hers he finally spoke. “I love you too.”

 

Eunsol blinked once. Twice. Thrice. She still couldn’t get  grasp of the current situation. It was too fast. Everything was too fast.

 

He chuckled at her cuteness. “You’re thinking why I did that right? Minseok is behind that door over there.” Jongdae said as he pointed to the front door. “And while you talk to him later, what I wanted was for you to think of me. I just want you to think of me while you’re talking to him. When you see his face, it’s me who you’ll think of. That’s how childish I am.”

 

“Aish. You.. really!” Eunsol exclaimed as he was about to hit him but Jongdae grabbed her arm to stop her. “He’s waiting isn’t he?” he reminded her.

 

“Right.” Eunsol mumbled to herself as she hurried to the door. And when she opened it, Minseok was there, standing right outside their house. He smiled as he caught a glimpse of her.

 

“I’m sorry. I visited so suddenly.” He told her as he awkwardly smiled at her. And while she was looking at her, she realized that Jongdae was right. She couldn’t get him out of her head. Their kiss earlier was still replaying in her head.

 

Eunsol shook her head and tried to clear her thoughts of him away. “No. It’s okay.”

 

“I heard from Jieun that you were sick so I brought some fruits.” Minseok said as he walked towards her and handed her a plastic full of fruits. “I hope you’ll get well soon.”

 

Eunsol stared at him in silence. Minseok is really a good guy. He even brought fruits for her thinking that she’s sick when the truth is she was just kissing with his bestfriend earlier. And just by thinking of it makes her feel bad.

 

“I think I should go now so that you’ll be able to rest. Get well soon. And Eunsol-ah, I miss you. Please come to school soon.” He told her with a shy smile before finally waking away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What happened?” Jongdae asked her the moment she went inside.

 

“He just came by to gave me fruits. He thought I was sick.” Eunsol mumbled as she placed the plastic bag on the table. Jongdae immediately grabbed an apple from the plastic bag and took a bite on it.

 

“It’s delicious.” He said as he nodded to himself.

 

Eunsol turned to him, who doesn’t even seem to be bothered by the current situation. “Yah. Aren’t you worried about Minseok?”

 

Jongdae slowly swallows before replying. “I am.” He mumbles ever so quietly.

 

“What are we going to do?”

 

“Since I’m not really good with explain, let’s make this short.”

 

“How?” Eunsol smiled at him, happy enough to hear that he’s thinking of a way to tell Minseok about their relationship.

 

“Let’s just kiss in front of him.”

 

Eunsol rolled her eyes at him. “Great. That’s just brilliant Kim Jongdae” she mumbled sarcastically as she went straight to the kitchen to make something to eat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Haven't updated since forever. Sorry about that. :< It took me so long to finish this because I'm not realy good with writing this kind of stuff. Arghh. 

And if there's any of you who's following me on twitter please unfollow me since I won't be using that account anymore. Thank you. :)

 

 

Yay for 900 subssss <3 I love you guys! *____*