Chapter 18

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 


 

Jongdae silently eyed the two of them. His forehead slowly creased. Minseok was holding her ever so gently. And Eunsol’s eyes were closed. What a scene. He thought as he smiled bitterly.

 

Eunsol had asked him to come here. And he was thinking of finally telling her everything that she might want to know and everything she has to know. But looking at how sweet and intimate these two are, from the looks of it, she might not want to know anything.

 

Jongdae’s fists curled into a ball as he watched the two. He just couldn’t think of any possible reason about why she would call him out when Minseok’s here. Especially when they’re together like this.

 

Before he knew it, he was already walking towards them. “Am I interrupting something here?” he finally voiced out, trying his very best to maintain his composure.

 

When he spoke, that’s when Minseok let go of her and finally, Eunsol opened her eyes and turned to him. And he could see the expression in her face. Her brows were lightly creased. And her eyes.. he couldn’t read what was in it. Was it pity? shame? Was she sorry? He didn’t know. He couldn’t tell.

 

He gulped as he turned to Minseok. “It looks like the two of you are filming some high school drama here. I’m sorry to interrupt.” he tried to joke it off.

 

But it didn’t sound as a joke to Eunsol. At that time, she knew that he was mad.

 

Minseok smiled as he shyly rubbed the back of his neck. “Ahh.. no. We’re just talking.”

 

“It’s not like what you’re thinking of.” Eunsol tried to explain. She knew that she asked him to come here. But she didn’t think of the possibility that Minseok will come as well. And as of now, she can see through Jongdae that he was misunderstanding the situation.

 

Jongdae didn’t even look at her. His eyes were on Minseok. “Our professor is looking for her. Do you mind if I take her now?” he lied.

 

Minseok nodded as he smiled. “It’s okay. We just talked. That’s all.” he said as he turned to Eunsol. “You should go to class.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunsol chewed on her bottom lip as she tried to think of anything to tell him. Jongdae was walking in front of her, and he hasn’t said a single word ever since. In this situation, there’s one thing for sure. He was mad at her.

 

“Jongdae, I know you’re mad at me. But earlier, it’s a misunderstanding.” Eunsol started explaining.

 

He stopped talking and turned back at her. His eyes were as cold as ice. It wasn’t like the usual cheerful Jongdae she knew.

 

Despite the fact that she was a little scared of him, still she has to explain so that he would stop misunderstanding her. “I know I asked you to go to the gym, but Minseok---“

 

“Flirt.”

 

She was taken aback when she heard that from him. Eunsol never expected him, of all people to say something like that to her. “…what?” Maybe she heard him wrong. It can happen. For sure Jongdae would never say something like that to her.

 

Jongdae placed his hands inside his pocket as he eyed her ever so coldly. “I didn’t know you were such a flirt.” Resentment was dripping in his voice.

 
This time, there’s no mistaking it. She definitely heard him and his harsh words. “I’m not a flirt.” she managed to say.

 

Jongdae faked a surprised expression. “Really? Then what were you doing with him? In front of the gym, alone and all. He’s even holding you. Intimately. What’s that called? Isn’t it flirting?” he remarked sarcastically.

 

Eunsol tried to remain calm as she breathed deeply, trying her best to contain herself from crying. “We’re.. not flirting.”

 

“If it’s not flirting, then what is it? I’d like to know.” He asked her but she refused to answer. “Eunsol-ah, tell me. I’d really like to know.”

 

She silently eyed him. This guy in front of him was not the usual Jongdae she knew. Analyzing the situation she was in, she was thinking that it would be better to talk to him next time. This will just get bigger if this continues.

 

Jongdae’s fuming mad and every single thing she’s going to say will not be valid to him. He wouldn’t listen. “Let’s just talk when you’re calmed down. For now, maybe I’ll just go.” she muttered as she slowly walked away.

 

Jongdae watched as she slipped away from him. He just couldn’t understand her. Why does she refuse to talk to him? Why can’t they talk now? Where is she going? Is it possible that she’s going to Minseok? At the sudden thought of him, he quickly ran towards her and spun her around by grabbing her right wrist. “Where are you going?” he asked her.

 

“I don’t know. I---“

 

“Are you planning on meeting Minseok again?” as he mentioned his name, he never realized that his grip on her wrist tightened. The mere thought of her being with him again angers every fiber of him.

 

“No!” Eunsol exclaimed.

 

 

He doesn’t know if he should believe her words again. Why can’t she just stay beside him? If she’s not going to meet Minseok again, then can’t she just stay? “You’ll go to him again? Is that it?”

 

“I already said ‘no’ didn’t I?”

 

“Okay. Just go to him. That guy. He’s been crushing on you for so long. Go to him Since he’s saying that he likes you so much, you should go---“

 

“Should I?” since he was insisting that she was going to him, since Jongdae was pushing her to her limits, should she just go to Minseok?

 

His face darkened. “I knew it. You asked me to meet you so that I would see the two of you flirting. Are you trying to make me jealous? You’re trying to make me jealous right? Well I’m not! I’m not jealous and I will never get jealous because I don’t like you.” he lied.

 

“Let go.”

 

“I’m just using you to forget my ex-girlfriend!” Lies. Lies. Lies. He also doesn’t know why he kept on spouting such lies.

 

“Let go of me.”

 

Earlier, Minseok was holding her and she’s perfectly fine with it. But now that it’s him, she’s like this. “Why? Is it only him who’s allowed to hold you?! Is it only Minseok who---”

 

“Let go!”

 

When she shouted, that was the only time when Jongdae went back to his senses. His grip on her slowly loosened and he was surprised to see red traces in her arm. She was hurt. He had hurt her without him realizing it. He quickly tried to touch her arm. It seemed to be badly hurt. “I’m sorry! I—“

 

“Don’t touch me.” Eunsol backed her arm away from him. “Don’t you dare touch me.”

 

He suddenly panicked, fearing the fact that she will hate him. He was okay with his friends supporting Minseok, rooting for him and all. But he’s not okay with her hating him. Not at all. And so he tried his best to explain himself. But he couldn’t. He didn’t know if he should apologize first for how stupid he acted, or for his hurtful words or for hurting her physically. He didn’t really know. “No… your arm.. I was too… I’m sorry… I couldn’t control myself… I…”

 

“I don’t want you to leave me. Please just stay by my side.” Tears were slowly forming inside her eyes, and were threatening to fall down any moment. ”That’s the thing I wanted to tell you because I noticed that you’ve been distancing yourself from me. I asked you to meet me in the gym to tell you that personally. But I didn’t know that Minseok will go there. He confessed to me today. I really plan to turn him down. But you came and you misunderstood everything. I’m trying my best to explain but you wouldn’t listen. Now I know why.”

 

Jongdae was about to say something but when he saw her crying, his mind went blank. And all of a sudden, he feels like he’s the worst guy in the world for making her cry. Guilt was sinking in his chest. He made her cry. Don’t cry. Please. Eunsol-ah, don’t cry. As much as he wanted to say those to her, to hug her tightly, he couldn’t.

 

Because she already left. And he wasn’t able to do anything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3