Half of the Mystery

Life Changing

I miss My parents. So badly.

As I flipped through my old photographs, memories flooded my mind. 

When I was Ten, my cousin ruined my birthday cake, and I cried. My dad, went out in the rain and came back soaking wet -- with my new cake. The exact same design.

When I was Twelve, I got a good score in my PSLE examination results, and my parents took me to Universal Studios for a Celebration.

 

Wet, salty and big droplets of tears dribbled down my cheeks and trickled into my shirt, making it slightly wet and uncomfortable. 

 

My doorknob clicked. I slammed my photobook close and flipped down to throw it under my bed. It is private.

With the speed of lightning, I swiped my cheeks with the back of my hands. However, even lightning is not fast enough.

Jeon Jung Kook has seen me crying. 

 

"Oh...Mom asked why are you not down for BreakFast yet..." He awkwardly shuffled his feet, then left. 

 

I combed my fingers through my hair and sighed. 

I need to learn to live without them.

 

*

Nam Joon was no where to be seen today, so I walked to the classroom alone. Dragging my feet on the floor, I braced myself for another day of boring lectures and snogging between Jung Kook and Lee In.

 

I stopped at my locker and deposited my unneccessary stuff in there. Through the mirror stuck on my locker door, I can see Lee In hanging around Jung Kook again.

 

After chucking my stuff, I leaned against the lockers, not wanting to tell Eun Ji that we have no idea who the culprit is. 

 

"I wonder if Ran Na has any hard feelings towards Lee In..." Just that sentence alone said by the two girls beside me, I tuned in into their conversation, ears alert.

"She's always shadowed by Lee In!" The other girl commented.

"Yeah. Remember last week's sprinting race? Both of them finished at the same time, but Lee In was crowned the winner instead. Rumours are that it is cause her father is the principal..."

"I wonder how it would be like this week..."

 

"Who is Ran Na?" I asked Eun Ji.

She looked up at me. "Ran Na? She's Lee In's best friend. The two girls Lee In always hang out with are Ran Na and Na Mi."

 

Then it all clicked into place.

 

 

*Ring Ding Dong Ring Ding Dong*

My heart jolted a beat. As soon as Mr Yoo walked out of the class, I sprinted to Jung Kook’s class.

“Where’s Jung Kook?!” I asked Nam Joon, clutching my heart tightly and rested my hands on my thighs.

“I don’t know… It was a free period just now, he mentioned that he’ll be with Lee In at the Library.” Nam Joon offered me a cookie, but I rejected his offer.

Within seconds, I was making my way towards the library.

My legs were aching, muscles were burning. I grabbed Jung Kook by his wrist, shocking both him and Lee In. I pulled Jung Kook into the Janitor’s room and collapsed onto the floor, trying to catch my breath.

He wriggled his wrist out of my hands and my hands collapsed to the side of my body. I leaned against the wall and looked up at him as he gave me a disgruntled look.

“What!” He demanded, kicking my legs.

I had no more strength left to stop him, so I just closed my eyes.

“Culprit is.. Is Ran Na.” I mumbled weakly.

*

With Jung Kook beside me, we walked back to our classrooms – my classroom actually, to explain our deduction to Eun Ji.

As we walked past the lockers, Lee In was there talking to Na Mi. She saw Jung Kook and literally jumped in front of him, stopping him and smiling at him. Jung Kook roughly pushed her away and hissed, “Don’t ever look for me. Again.” Then we continued walking.

I turned back, wanting to give Lee In an apologetic glance, but she was staring daggers at me that send shivers running down my spine.

As soon as Jung Kook and I walked into class, the class hushed immediately, and then started buzzing like a beehive.

I plopped down into my seat and leaned my head on my palm.

“So have you guys found out?!” Eun Ji squeaked excitedly, looking at me only. She didn’t seem to dare look at Jung Kook.

“It is Ran Na.” Jung Kook stated. Eun Ji (who was still staring at me, not at Jung Kook) frowned.

“Why her?” Eun Ji asked me (or Jung Kook).

“Ran Na has always been shadowed by Lee In. Although she is Lee In’s best friend, she is never in the limelight. When the sprinting race ended, it was clear that Lee In and her both ended at the same time. But it was only Lee In who won. Ran Na might have felt unfair, jealous. She just wanted to take revenge on Lee In since she probably hates Lee In now. Thanks to Jung Kook’s help, we also found out that Lee In did not place the insects in her locker herself. She hates creepy-crawlies, and there is no way she will hold a jar of insects, and let them roam about in her Locker. Jung Kook has seduced –“Attract”, Jung Kook interrupted – attracted Lee In, and asked her if she knew who placed the insects in her lockers. Lee In seemed to confirm that it is you. So now we know that it is not Lee In, the only other possible suspect is Ran Na.” I explained to Eun Ji, whose eyebrows are joining closer with every word I said.

“So it’s Ran Na?” Eun Ji tried to confirm. I pursed my lips and nodded my head.

“What to do now?” Jung Kook questioned.

“Now? I say we go and confront Ran Na.”