Tragedy?

Life Changing

[3rd Person POV]

  Shin Yoon Mi.

  You used me? Next, you stole away what was mine? You ruined my reputation?

  No one gets away getting on my nerves.

  That figure in black rapidly moved her fingers across her phone’s keyboard, occasionally pausing to figure out the best choice of words available for threats.

  Sent.

~_*_~

[Yoon Mi’s POV]

  “Why aren’t you telling me what’s bothering you? Is something unspeakable going on? Just tell me. I won’t get mad.” I reassured Jung Kook, reaching out to grab his forearm. However, he recoiled violently.

  I don’t want to admit it… but is our relationship turning sour because of Nam Joon?

  “I thought you settled things with him already?” My burning curiosity rose. What happened after I left the café?

  “You know what, forget it. I got to go.” He turned his back towards me and left my room, never looking back once.

  I whipped out my phone and my finger hovered above the dial button of Nam Joon’s number.

  Should I talk to hi–

  “You got a message! You got a message!” My phone vibrated and buzzed. The message popped up on my phone screen.

  As I read it, my eyebrows furrowed.

  ‘Still want your friend? She’s at the park opposite your house, leaning against a bench while being unconscious. Don’t worry, she’s just sleeping, or at least, that’s what passersby think. Come within 5 minutes and maybe you could save her from being sold off, after I win my side of the negotiations. Don’t believe me? Just don’t come and see where poor Eun Ji will end up.’ – Unknown sender.

 

  No further words needed. I clenched my phone tightly in my fist and rushed out of the house.

  I have to reach there as early as possible.

  Today’s chilly. I pulled my jacket’s collars up to my mouth.

  Park… Park… Park. Eun Ji. Where are you? Are you okay? Please, don’t let anything happen to her, please. I’ve done enough harm to her by dragging her into my life’s drama. She suffered enough. She can’t suffer anymore. Please, let her be safe. Let me find her. Find the park.

  There it is! Just opposite this street.

  The pedestrian light was signaling a blinking green.

  I sprinted forward.

  The next thing I knew, a sharp pain shot up in my hips, I was flung in the air, and then – blackness. Eun Ji...

~_*_~

[Tae Hyung’s POV]

  She’s cute. I’m lucky.

  Eun Ji’s brown locks cascaded beautifully down her shoulders. I was blessed when I walked past Baskin Robbins and saw that girl drinking her ice cream. Just like how I do. Put the ice cream cone in the cup.

  There’s no one opposite her. Should I go in?

  “Tae Hyung!” She noticed me.

  Should I act deaf and walk past? But I’m already standing out here. I’ll look like a fool if I suddenly leave. Or will she find me a creep if I go in?

  “Come in!” Thank God.

  Time to do this Tae Hyung. You practiced in front of the mirror so many times to act normal and cool. Time to show off what you got.

  I walked as naturally as I could. Left hand, Right leg. Right hand, Left leg.

  “Are you mimicking a robot?” Eun Ji laughed. Gosh that cute laugh.

  “Ah No. Just, trying to get some exercise into my walking routine.” Damn. Being normal is too hard.

  “Yah! You changed! I prefer the quirky Tae Hyung!” Eun Ji grabbed my chin and moved my face left and right, inspecting it.

  “Tae Hyung! Come out!” She hollered into my face.

  My heart melted. She’s as weird as me.

  “I’m out!” I presented myself in front of her, raising my eyebrows and giving the brightest smile possible.

  After minutes of laughter and talking, I found out that she was sitting in this café even after Yoon Mi left this place to go home. Eun Ji was contemplating about life, thinking about what friendships meant while slurping her ice cream.

  How come I never noticed this girl until this year?

  “Thanks for saving me 2 days ago…” Eun Ji suddenly blurted out, shocking me.

  “Ah. No problem. I um… will always protect… um… someone I’ve taken an incline towards.” I coughed out. Will she get the hint?

  “Taken an incline towards… me?” She pointed towards herself. Her face redden slightly as she pursed her lips, the corners of her lips lifted a little, as though she was trying to suppress a huge grin.

  At this moment, I was thankful towards Baskin Robbins for having small tables. The distance between us was just 80cm. I closed the distance.

  Leaning forward, I noticed that Eun Ji leaned forward as well. I closed my eyes.

  Tae Hyung, you lucky bastard.

  All of a sudden, Eun Ji backed away and the jerking motion made her chair screech against the floor. My eyes flew open to see Eun Ji holding a buzzing phone.

  Darn that caller!

  “Um sorry… I have to answer this, Yoon Mi is calling!” Eun Ji squeaked out, apologies were written all over her face.

  I nodded my head and gave an understanding smile, signaling her to answer that call.

  “Yoon M– … … … She’s in the hospital?! What? Of course I’m safe! I’m with – wait what, what exactly happened to her? Which hospital? Baem Sae Hospital? Okay.” Worries caused Eun Ji’s face to crease terribly. Her face crumpled up and as she hung up the phone, her grip on it loosen and it dropped to her lap.

  “I got to go.” She hesitated. “Sorry.” She grabbed her bag.

  I was left stunned. Yoon Mi’s in the hospital?

  “Wait! I’ll go with you!” I shouted after her, grabbing my bag and rushing towards Eun Ji.

~_*_~

[Jung Kook’s POV]

  I left the room, unable to stand the growing tension between Yoon Mi and I anymore.

  This poor girl just suffered the death of her parents. Must she know another hard truth now? Jung Kook, are you going to tell her and make her suffer?

  No.

  In my room, I lied on my bed, looking up towards the ceiling and at the blinding light.

  All of a sudden, I heard a loud screech, as well as shouts of “Help!”

  What was going on? I peered out of my window, only to see several people concentrated at the pavement beside the road.

  “Someone help her!” A stranger yelled.

  “I called the ambulance!” Another person shouted.

  Through the gaps in the crowd, I could see that a girl was lying unconscious on the ground, and blood was pooling around her head.

  Her hand was next to her head. On her hand, I noticed something sparkling and reflecting light.

  The ring I made for Yoon Mi from wires.

~_*_~

  Jebal… Please… Don’t let anything happen to her…

  I prayed furiously, my legs and hands both shaking due to fear of losing Yoon Mi, not because of the bumpy road the ambulance was travelling on.

  “Can’t you all go any faster?!” I yelled out.

  The driver at the front was blocked by a plastic sheet separating him and us, he could not hear.

  I was hustled into a corner, while the medics attend to Yoon Mi.

  Blood was still dripping down her head, her eyes were closed and she was unconscious.

  Please save her…

  2 seats next to me, I notice a police officer in the car checking a phone. Who has time to check his phone while there’s a patient here in critical situation?! That phone though, wasn’t his, but Yoon Mi’s.

  “Give me that! Don’t touch her personal things.” I snatched the phone back.

  “Sorry sir. But you may want to look at the message on the screen. The police will try to solve this case, sir.” The officer apologized.

  I looked down at the lit-up screen.

  Eun Ji. Yoon Mi was looking for Eun Ji… and she got into an accident.

  The crying came uncontrollably. Within seconds, I was shaking and tears were streaming down my face.

  I have never been so scared. I don’t want to lose Yoon Mi. I just had her and the time we spent together is too short.

  I don’t want to lose Yoon Mi.

  I don’t want to lose Yoon Mi.

  Please let me not lose Yoon Mi.