Settling down

Life Changing

[A/N: They converse in Korean now]

I’d never thought I will ever be facing such a large crowd. Okay – the people weren’t staring at me, they were waiting for their other relatives. Still, I’m lost and dazed, staring at the crowd trying to figure out who to meet.

“They’ll be meeting you at InCheon airport.” I remembered this was what someone who was my guardian [after my parents died] told me.

I scanned the crowd, expecting a signboard with my name on it.

There it is, a big A2 paper with my name “Shin Yoon Mi” in both English wording and Korean characters, even my Chinese name, “允秘”is written on it. The lady who was holding the board was looking around anxiously. She had jet black wavy hair cascading down her shoulders and onto her sweater.

She seemed like a kind lady, beside her, was her husband also lifting the signboard and keeping a look out for “Shin Yoon Mi” – Me.

How is she related to me?

I wrapped my sweater around me more tightly and securely as I walked towards them. Their eyes were still wandering around, but when the guy nudged the woman and said something to her, they both stared at me. A wide grin broke out on their faces as I approached.

“Yoon Mi?” They questioned. I bit my lower lips and nodded.

“We’ve been waiting for about an hour!” They sighed in relief.

“Sorry.” I apologised.

“Come on, let’s go!” The lady held my elbow and stirred me around to get to the taxi stand.

“I’m Eun Ji, just call me Auntie. He’s my husband, Geun Seuk! Call him uncle! I’m your Mom’s sister. Step-sister actually!” She laughed it off.

Her husband gave me a warm smile that made me feel comfortable with them.

They are nice people.

She’s my Mom’s step-sister?

As we stepped out of the airport into the open, the cold wind slapped me harshly on the face. My long straight hair flew all around my face. “Are you cold? Let’s hurry to the Taxi!” Auntie wrapped her arms around me, shielding me from the wind.

We settled comfortably in the warm Taxi, with Uncle in front sitting beside the driver while Auntie conversed with me.

“Your Mom. Even though I was the cause of her parent’s ruined relationship, she didn’t bear a grudge against me at all. Your grandfather… he cheated on your grandmother with another woman, and I was the product. That another woman was my mother, she died during childbirth… So your grandmother took me in also. It must be hard for your Mom, having to accept that her father cheated, and even have to deal with the fact that her father’s other daughter is currently living with her. But she didn’t complain. In fact, she was the reason why I lived so happily. She always brought me around, showing me new stuff. She was like my real sister. When I heard about that accident… It was awful. I’m so sorry, Yoon Mi. But I believe that your mother will want you to be happy. Your mother is a pretty reserved person, I’m sure you know that. You seem pretty reserved too, actually. You probably do not know me. But now you do, I hope that you will learn to accept us all, alright?” Auntie’s voice was filled with genuine and sincere concern, I can see it in her eyes too.

“Thanks Auntie. I will.” I reassured her, giving her a small smile.

She ruffled my hair and we spent the rest of the taxi ride in Silence.

In the background, the taxi was playing ‘Evening Sky’ by AiLee.

I fell asleep on the Taxi as I listened to the sad tune.

*

“Yoon Mi? We’re  here.” Auntie’s gentle voice woke me up. I blinked my eyes a couple of times before my sight focused. We were in front of a 2-storey apartment, that looks simple – yet beautiful.

“Thanks!” I scrambled out of the taxi, and dragged my luggage along with me.

“Need any help?” Uncle offered me his hand, I shook my head and muttered Thanks.

Following them into the house, I realised that there was already someone inside the house.

“Is that person here?” A unfamiliar voice called out.

That person? Me?

“Yoon Mi. Yeah. Get up Jung Kook, help her with her stuff.” Auntie called back.

I hear footsteps trudging, making its way towards me.

“Uh. Hey.” I said, not knowing what to react.

That person, Jung Kook, gave me a side glance and pointed to a room upstairs. “That’s your room. We actually prepared a lot for you, so appreciate it.”

Without saying another word, he went up the stairs and went into the room beside the room he pointed.

Auntie “tsked” at him and told me “Don’t mind him. He’s always this moody. He’s called Jeon Jung Kook, ask him for whatever you need okay? Oh, and today is Saturday right? On Monday, he’ll be going to school with you. You speak Korean, so you should be able to understand right? Jung Kook is 17, same age as you too, but you guys are in different classes. I guess.”

“Haha, it’s alright. Yea, it’ll do. Thanks!” I hugged Auntie, appreciating her efforts for me.

Then, I went up to my room.

*

“JUNG KOOK! YOON MI! DINNER IS SERVED!” Auntie called out from the kitchen below. I paused my unpacking of things and when down the stairs. On the way down, I heard someone behind me. Jung Kook was making his way down the stairs pretty fast, when he saw me, he gave me a long glance before disappearing.

“I hope you’ll like the food!” Auntie told me as I sat down.

“Oh! Do you mind taking out the utensils?” Auntie asked me.

I nodded my head, relieved that I am able to help her, at least repay her a little.

In the kitchen, I meet Jung Kook, he was drinking water with his hand on the counter.

I searched high and low for the utensils, but to no avail.

“In the most right lower cupboard.” Jung Kook spoke to no one in particular.

I followed his directions and opened the cupboard, there, is the utensils.

Murmuring a word of thanks, I proceeded to wash the utensils and bringing them out for Auntie.

The dinner was pretty quiet, with the occasional clanking of metals and scooping of veggies and rice.

Auntie’s eyes swept over us all, wanting to break the silence.

“Jung Kook ah, you’ll be in charge of Yoon Mi now okay?” Auntie ordered Jung Kook.

Jung Kook’s hand stopped midway in the air, and he rolled his eyes. “Pain in the .” He said quietly, continuing his eating.

Someone must have kicked him under the table as his chair jerked a bit. “Ow.” He muttered, glaring at uncle.

“Alright…” Jung Kook sighed, defeated.

“Now, why don’t you guys talk?” Uncle took a stab at another attempt to make a conversation.

Before I could reply, Jung Kook said “We have nothing to talk about.”

Well, I’m pretty sure I can get along well with Jung Kook. I guess we are pretty much comfortable about ignoring each other.