The first contact

Life Changing

[Yoon Mi's POV]

  I heard the sound of my curtains being drawn up. But still, I didn't want to get out of bed. "Thanks Auntie..." I mumbled into my pillow, drifting off to dreamland.

  "Wake Up. It's 9am. Your breakfast is turning cold. I already the water heater." That so familiar voice, with the same apologizing tone, the voice that was the last one I heard last night, was speaking.

  I flipped over and pulled down the blanket just to peek out. It was Jung Kook drawing up the curtains. Who couldn't recognize those biceps in that sleeveless shirt  - those very same biceps I saw... twice, while he was half-. I tried pushing those images out of my mind but to no avail.

  "Oh Uh Thanks." I mumbled.

  He turned around and furrowed his brows together. "Your face is red. Is it so hot buried in the blanket?" He joked. 

  I gulped down my saliva and pushed myself out of bed. Then, I heard his laughter. 

  . Yoon Mi you idiot. You're in your favourite bear pajamas pants... Why did you have to show it to him?

  "Sorry." He tried making out that word after his laughter died down a little. But suppressed laughters could still be heard.

  I rushed out of the room as quickly as possible.

*

  "Yoon Mi ah... Always forgive people okay. But if they have hurt you badly... forgive, but don't forget."  Ma always told me that. She would sweep her lovely, milky hands down my face and bring me closer to her, planting a kiss on the crown of my head. That memory just suddenly flashed in my head. Omma. The guy, Jeon Jung Kook, sitting opposite me, hurt me a little. Not much, but a little. Should I forgive him?

  I looked up from my bowl of oatmeal and stared at Jung Kook. Coincidentally, he looked up too, and gave me an apologetic glance - once again.

  Why is he suddenly so nice? Is it because he felt bad? I guess no matter how rude he is... there's still empathy and a good side to him. 

  "Don't hold grudges for too long, alright?" Ma will say if she's still alive. I know that. My great, kind, helpful Mother.

  "You know. I forgive you already. You don't have to keep apologizing. Neither do you have to pity me for losing my parents. I can deal with it myself." I spoke with confidence to him. Although, that confidence was faked out.

  He thought about what I said for a while, then nodded his head. He opened his mouth and then closed it - as though deciding if he should reply.

  "Let's go for a picnic today! The weather is so nice!" Auntie said, plopping down into the seat beside Jung Kook.

  "Uh..." I didn't know what to say. I doubt Jung Kook will agree, no matter how bad he feels, he still doesn't like me much.

  "Alright. I'll pack the neccessary stuff." Jung Kook's answer surprised me. And it turns out, Auntie was surprised too! After he stood up and left, Auntie whispered "what's gotten into him?" 

  Truthfully, I don't know. I shrugged.

[Jung Kook's POV]

  . What's gotten into me? Why am I so nice to her?  Maybe I felt bad? 

  Okay. Since she said I'm forgiven. Just one last "nice Jung Kook" and I'll revert back to normal.

 

[Yoon Mi's POV]

  The air was fresh and clean. It was fun stepping on the dry leaves and hearing those crispy, almost pleasant sounds. Birds were chirping and the lake was so sparkly! Auntie and Uncle are eating under the tree about 100m from where I am now. They told Jung Kook to tour me around the park. Surprisingly, he didn't complain. He is walking beside me and explaining stuff furiously "This is Gang-San Park. We visit here quite often, there are swans in the lake, but somewhere else............"

  "Happy Anniversary Jae Na!" I heard someone exclaim. Whipping my head around, I saw this guy hugging the girl beside him, presumably his girlfriend. Both of them looked so in love, like they were going to live eternally with each other, always loving each other, build a happy family together...

  In a matter of seconds, my nose turned sour and unknowingly, tears brimmed.

  "Mom... Dad... can you come back home. Now, please? Sorry for disturbing your dinner but.. but... my stomach hurts terribly... Argh..." I groaned into the phone, sniffling into the phone as well for further effects. "What?! Yoon Mi, we'll be back soon! Wait for us! Go to Lily if needed!" Mom's anxious voice delighted me. Clicking the "end call" button, I reached up to tape the "Happy anniversary" banner to the wall. Truth is, I am not hurting at all. Just wanting to worry Mom and Dad, so they'll come back faster and see the surprise I've planned for them. It was their 20th wedding anniversary. I've placed blue and pink helium balloons around the house, placed their favourite disc in the CD player and bought a cake that says "Moon Hee and Jae Kyung 20th year together". Everything was going to be perfect!

  Seconds passed... Minutes passed... Hours passed... Where are they? They couldn't have gone so far out just to have dinner right? I paced around the house in excitement, fixing small stuff along the way - such as the banners which was tilted, and placing the balloons in different positions. Just then, my phone rang. Doctor Aw? Why is my family doctor calling me now? 

  "Hello?" I answered the phone call. "Yoon Mi ah. Are you alone at home now?" 

  "Um Yea? I'm waiting for my parents. Doctor Aw, did you know that it's my parents' anniversary, that's why you wanted me to congratulate them as well? I'll definitely do it for yo-" 

  "Yoon Mi. No. Listen to me. Your parents... are gone."

  "That is not a funny joke, Doctor Aw. It's kind of rude in fact." I was slightly pissed, no very pissed at that unamusing joke. 

  "It's not a joke! Don't you get it?"

  "Stop playing around!" I screamed into the phone. Tears rolling down my cheeks. It was supposed to be a pleasant surprise. What happened?!

  "They died in a car accident. While coming back. They accidentally crossed the wrong lane and didn't see the incoming truck. I'm sorry. I really am. As your guardian, I'm sending you to live in Korea with your Mom's step sister. I'm sorry Yoon Mi. I really am."

  "Stop it. If it is true, you could have helped... right? Are they still in the operating theatre? Please Doctor Aw, Please save them!" 

  "They were pronounced dead when the paramedics got to the scene..."

  The phone slipped from my hands onto the floor. I crumbled to the floor, sobbing - no, wailing uncontrollably. Because of me... They died while coming back. For me. 

  "Yoon Mi - ssi! Are you listening?" Someone shook me hard on my shoulders, spinning me around to face him. 

  Jung kook? What did he say? Did I just tuned out? That flashback was still playing vividly in my head.

  "Are you okay? Why are you..." He asked concernly.

  Then, I realised I was crying. He searched his pocket for a packet of tissue paper and offered it to me.

  I couldn't take it anymore. The strong walls are broken down. Those memories were too much. Just like what I did that night, I crumbled, but on the inside.

 

[Jung Kook's POV]

  "So this is called a jasmine flower. One of the prettiest flowers, in my opinion. Prettier than a rose." I plucked out one flower from the bushes and smelled it. Dropping it, I walked forward, expecting Yoon Mi to follow. But when I realised there was no footsteps behind me, I turned around.

  There Yoon Mi was. But why is she... is she crying?! Tears were flowing down her cheeks. For some reason, seeing her like this made me agitated and worried. 

  "Yoon Mi - Ssi! Are you listening?" I grabbed her shoulders and spun her around. It's confirmed - she's really crying. 

  She stared at me for a good whole 20 seconds. 

  "Are you okay? Why are you..." I faded away. There was this strange urge inside of me wanting to use my thumb to wipe away those tears in her eyes. But I resisted it. 

  Instead, I settled for giving her a packet of tissue paper. 

  Before I knew it, she flung her hand out, knocking the packet of tissue paper on the floor. Then, she reached out both of her arms and hugged me - really tightly. Still shaking and heaving from those non-stop flowing tears.