That cold place

Life Changing

[3rd Person POV]

  . Tha… That wasn’t mean to happen!

  That figure in black started to panic and hyperventilate. Gripping the steering wheel tightly, she glanced back for a fraction of a second.

  Shin Yoon Mi became a rag doll lying on the pavement.

  Why isn’t this ing brake working? I meant to scare her, not kill her!

  Nothing will happen, Nothing right? Everyone around her didn’t look at my car at all… It’s okay… It’s okay…

  Just hide.

  Nothing happened.

 

[RapMon’s POV]

  I sprinted to the emergency waiting room, tripped over my legs slightly but wobbled back up. Upon reaching, 9 familiar faces greeted me – no, they didn’t greet me. They merely glanced at me, then went back to fiddling with their hair / fingernails / lips. Everyone was anxious. The atmosphere was tense.

  Eun Ji, Tae Hyung, Jin, Yoon Gi, Ho Seok and Ji Min were seated on the navy blue plastic chairs.

  Jung Kook, Auntie and Uncle were all pacing up and down, occasionally glancing at the sign that lights up “surgery in progress”, hoping that the light will go off soon.

  Ho Seok broke the silence by saying “Everyone, hwaiting, himnae… It’s okay… Yoon Mi’s one tough girl, she’ll be okay…” He didn’t sound so confident of himself.

  Eun Ji was at a corner, quietly sobbing into a handkerchief I recognized belong to Tae Hyung’s. “It’s all my fault…” She let out all pent sadness inside of her. Besider her, Tae Hyung patted her back, caressing her hair at the same time, getting a rhythm and momentum to comfort her with his actions.

  When will my girl appear?

  My girl isn’t the one in the operating theatre, that’s Jung Kook’s.

  I shook my head, and chided myself for wanting my friend’s girl.

  I won’t have her.

  Jin and Ji Min walked over to Jung Kook’s side and stayed with him there, silently.

  “I shouldn’t have walked out of her room. I shouldn’t have left her alone. I should have been there with her.” Jung Kook kept repeating these words like a mindless zombie.

  Jin brought back some coffee back from the vending machine, hot, but stale. Jung Kook kept his hands around the cup, hoping that the warmth might somehow, aid in his prayer of letting Yoon Mi get through this alive.

  “No… No, it’s alright. Drink it eh. Be confident like you used to be.” Ji Min patted Jung Kook on his back.

  “If you really love her, don’t say those words. You weren’t the cause of the accident and Yoon Mi knows it, everyone knows it. If Yoon Mi knew what was going on in your head, she’ll be disappointed that you think that way. Yoon Mi’s a strong girl, who wants a strong guy. Be the guy. If you think that you caused the accident, …, you don’t deserve a girl like Yoon Mi. Be a man.” Yoon Gi’s harsh words caused Jung Kook to clenched his fish tightly around the empty paper coffee cup. But I know that Yoon Gi’s words got into Jung Kook’s head. Jung Kook immediately ceased saying those words, and just focused on praying instead.

~_*_~

  After hours of waiting, the operating theatre’s light finally dimmed out. Everyone stood up immediately, waiting for the doors to slide open and hear the doctor’s words. His words, were like a verdict.

  The doctor’s face was grim, and that was a bad sign.

  Everyone was quiet, except for occasional sniffles from Eun Ji.

  “The patient is in critical condition right now. We need to do blood transfusion… is there any of her family member here? The patient has a blood type of negative O, this means that … she can only receive from negative O.”

  “Mine’s AB positive…” “Mine’s O positive.” “Me too.” “Me too.” Everyone shook their head except for Auntie.

  Maybe she’s too devastated? Afterall, she treated Yoon Mi like her own daughter.

  “Unfortunately, and I’m terribly sorry to say, our hospital ran out of negative O samples, and to receive another sample, it is to wait until tomorrow 5pm. Given the condition the patient is in right now, she lost a tremendous amount of blood. Truth to be told, it is still a miracle she is still breathing. Please find someone with negative O blood type.” And with that, he exited back into the operating theatre, leaving us with this disastrous information. The operating theatre doors closed. Everyone was left in silence.

  What to do now?

~_*_~

  A few minutes passed, everyone was making calls to relatives they know who are safe and healthy. But honestly, who will donate to a total stranger whom they do not know?

  The doors of the operating theatre opened again. Everyone stood up, hoping it was news that a donor was found. However, it was just a nurse of the lowest ranks, exiting the theatre to sterilize the medical equipment. All of a sudden, Auntie stood up and grabbed that nurse. The nurse jerked back and Auntie volunteered.  

  “I’ll do it. I’m her real mother.”