[Vhope] Original Chasing Stars

In Media Res

This is the original Chasing Stars before editing, before Taehyung and Hoseok were given personalities, and before I heard that One Rebublic song (whenever I hear the song I think of the story, and whenever I think of the story I hear the song playing in the back of my head, and if it weren't for that song this would be the only version of the story.) 


 

Hoseok compares the two packages of rice, buying groceries becomes more complicated when feeding two people but it’s nice to no longer have leftovers. He turns to his unexpected house guest. The kid is reading the back of one of those sugar filled cavity inducing cereals. “Do you want that?” Hoseoks asks.

He looks up, then quickly hides the box, “No, there was a puzzle on the back, I was trying to solve it.”

“Right,” Hoseok puts the bigger package in the cart, “You know you’re allowed to get anything you want. I don’t mind.”

“You’re too nice,” he smirks, “or maybe you just want something from me and realized food is the best bribe.

Hoseok pushes the kid back and rolls his eyes, “Nope, it’s just me being a Good Samaritan. Sorry.”

“It can’t be just that,” he continues, “unless you’re that kind of person. The ones that brag to their friends about how they’re such a good person, they even feed homeless teenagers. I’m not one of your self-satisfying charity projects.

“Of course not, I haven’t told anyone about you, Taehyung. I got out of work, I saw a kid sitting on my doorstep in the rain, I let him inside, and he can leave whenever he wants. That’s all it is,” Hoseok states. Taehyung has no answer to that. He looks all of his fifteen years as he trails behind Hoseok through the store.

He still looks impossibly young when he’s   in the bed, but Hoseok enjoys that pretty little blush of satisfaction more than the wide eyed confused stare.

The next morning, the left side of the bed is empty and the red worn out converse aren’t lying by the doorway. Hoseok isn’t surprised.