[Yoonjin, Taehyung, Jungkook] Zoo Date

In Media Res

Prompt: taekook "wearing shirts that say if found pls return to Jungkook"

Set in the same universe as this


 

When Yoongi had suggested they go to the zoo, Jungkook thought he meant the two of them, alone, just father and son bonding.

He did not think he was going to play babysitter.

In true Yoongi fashion, he and Jungkook arrived late. Seokjin was waiting by the front entrance with Taehyung in his arms. He used his free arm to wave them over.

When Jungkook complained, Yoongi said, “I told you that Seokjin had the weekend off.”

“You said we were having dinner with him on Sunday,” Jungkook said.

“And we would go to the zoo on Saturday,” Yoongi said, “What’s wrong, I thought you liked Taehyung?”

Jungkook only said he liked Taehyung out of politeness. He met the kid once, for like five minutes, long enough to see the kid’s Godzilla t shirt. But Taehyung wasn’t what was wrong.

“You set me up on a play date?” Jungkook accused. “He’s half my age!”

“Shh,” Yoongi held a finger to his mouth, he looked behind him, saw that Seokjin was still paying for their tickets, and turned back to Jungkook. “This will be good for you. Your mom told me about the pregnancy.”

Jungkook’s veins froze over.

Yoongi clapped Jungkook’s back, “This is practice for when you become a big brother.”

Jungkook pushed him away. Yoongi was about to speak, but Seokjin came back with their tickets, and all thoughts went away. Yoongi had this dopey eyed look every time he saw Seokjin, like sunshine came out of his or something. Jungkook rolled his eyes, his dad was useless when he got like this.

They walked from exhibit to exhibit. Taehyung ran to the cages and tried to talk to the animals. Yoongi laughed. Seokjin took photos. And Jungkook stood ten steps behind them, sulking throughout the whole trip. Yoongi noticed. But every time he reached out, Jungkook would scoff and step away further. Eventually Yoongi stopped trying, or maybe he stopped noticing. He held Seokjin’s hand and beamed at his stupid face.

They ate lunch by the mountain pavilion. Jungkook slouched at a table, his hands buried into the pockets of his red hoodie, and watched Taehyung climb over the bear statues.

“Jungkookie, Jungkookie!” Taehyung waved from atop the largest one, “I’m going to join the circus.”

“I’m your hyung,” Jungkook muttered under his breath.

“He doesn’t quite grasp honorifics,” Seokjin said. He placed a tray of food on the table, Yoongi did the same. He continued, “He only calls adults hyungs.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes.

Yoongi glared. He handed Jungkook his burger meal.

Seokjin said something in French. Taehyung climbed off the bear and ran to their table. “I’m going to sit with Jungkookie,” he beamed.

Jungkook’s eyes widened, he was about to protest but Yoongi gave him a pointed glare. Jungkook swallowed his complaint. He stuffed his mouth with fries.

“You want to sit with the big boys?” Seokjin asked.

“No, only Jungkookie,” Taehyung saidd. Then he rubbed his face in Jungkook’s hoodie sleeve.

Jungkook pushed him away, “Cut that out brat.”

“Taehyung, I don’t think Jungkook likes that,” Seokjin reprimanded.

Taehyung pouted, “But Jungkookie is my friend.”

“Call me Jungkook hyung,” Jungkook said.

“I like Jungkookie,” Taehyung said.

“That’s rude,” Jungkook said.

“Lighten up Jungkook, he’s only a kid,” Yoongi scolded.

“He’s being rude, I’m fixing him,” Jungkook said.

Yoongi glared, He crossed his arms. “You’ve been in a bad mood all day. What’s wrong with you?”

“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you dad!” Jungkook snapped. He stood up at the table, “I only see you on the weekends and now you’ve turned this into one long date. When is my turn? When will you ever make time for your own son?!”

Yoongi was stunned into silence. His mouth gaped open like a fish. Jungkook couldn’t handle this. He felt the sting of tears prick at his eyes.

“You’re an !” Jungkook shouted. Then he took off running, away from the table, away from Yoongi, away from anywhere that didn’t scream family.

Except this was a zoo. There were families everywhere. Parents holding onto their children’s wrists. Strollers for rent. Even the monkeys had a family. Joonyoung, the newest orangutan, just born three months ago, his mom carried him on his back. Jungkook looked at Joonyoung, a glass wall the only thing that separated them. Jungkook had his hood pulled up. Tears streaked his cheeks.

Jungkook didn’t remember running to the monkey house, yet there he was. Alone. Forgotten. Like he was going to be for the rest of his life.

The loudspeakers went off, “Will the guardian of Kim Taehyung please pick him up at the front entrance?”

Jungkook frowned. Surely, that wasn’t Seokjin’s Taehyung, was it? Jungkook wiped his eyes with the back of his sleeve, waved good bye to Joonyoung, and walked to the front of the monkey house. It was Seokjin’s Taehyung. His large ears stuck out under wavy hair, he held the hand of one of the security guards. His face pulled into a big box smile when he saw Jungkook.

“Jungkookie!” Taehyung let go of the security guard and jumped into Jungkook’s arms. “I followed you, big boys have to stay together.”

Jungkook felt his eyes start to water again. He hugged Taehyung to his chest. “I’m sorry I lost sight of you.”

“It’s okay,” Taehyung said, his little arms around Jungkook’s neck, “I wasn’t scared, not even a little.”

Jungkook half laughed, it turned into a sob, “You’re braver than I am.”

Jungkook apologized to the security guard, and thanked her for finding Taehyung. She said it was no problem, but Jungkook should pay more attention to his brother. Jungkook was about to correct her, but Taehyung interrupted, “I will never, ever lose my big brother.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes, but he smiled fondly.

Jungkook carried Taehyung through a few more exhibits. They watched the otters play and saw a sleeping polar bear. Jungkook paid for Taehyung to get his face painted to be a lion. He roared when he was done. Jungkook took a video, and saved it as the cutest little lion in Seoul.

They heard Seokjin before they saw him. He shouted Taehyung from across the quad. Jungkook turned. Taehyung’s face lit up, “Papa!”

Seokjin ran up to them. His breathing was harsh, his eyes red, as if he had been crying, “Taehyungie, are you okay?”

“I’m not Taehyung, I’m a lion,” then Taehyung held up his hands like claws and roared.

Seokjin laughed from relief. He took Taehyung from Jungkook’s arms and talked to him in very fast French. The language didn’t bother Jungkook, not this time.

Jungkook saw Yoongi ten steps away. Jungkook twisted his hands, he walked over. “Dad, I’m sorry.”

“Seokjin was scared, it took forever to console him,” Yoongi said in a terse tone.

Jungkook winced.

Then Yoongi sighed, “I told him not to worry, my son would find Taehyung.”

Jungkook dared to meet Yoongi’s gaze. He didn’t look mad. He had every right to be furious, but instead he looked somber. Yoongi scratched the back of his neck and spoke, “This relationship is new to me, I haven’t really been with someone since your mother, and look at how well that turned out.”

Jungkook shrugged.

“I’m trying to make everything work this time. But in my enthusiasm, I forgot to consider your feelings. I’m sorry,” Yoongi said, “Do you forgive me?”

Jungkook gave a small smile, “Yeah dad. I forgive you.”

Yoongi half smiled. He patted Jungkook’s shoulder. Then he lightly slapped him on the face, “Don’t ever call me in public again.”

“What about head?” Jungkook laughed.

“No.”

“face?”

“They’re back,” Yoongi said.

Seokjin held Taehyung securely in his arms. Seokjin had cried again, but he smiled. Yoongi wore a too wide grin and asked, “So Taehyung, did you have fun with Jungkook?”

Taehyung beamed, “Jungkookie’s the best.”

“He’s Jungkook hyung,” Seokjin corrected.

“It’s okay,” Jungkook said, “I don’t mind if he calls me Jungkookie.”

Seokjin’s smile grew wider. In that moment, Jungkook could start to see the spark, one of the many reasons his dad was head over heels in love with Seokjin. Yoongi was looking at Seokjin, with that soft too fond expression. This time Jungkook didn’t feel sick.

Jungkook offered to carry Taehyung. Seokjin reluctantly agreed, Taehyung enthusiastically reached out. Jungkook walked ten steps behind the adults. He saw it. He saw Yoongi’s hand outstretch and tug on Seokjin’s little finger. Then Seokjin intertwined their hands. Jungkook smiled.

They visited the last exhibit, the bird cages right before sundown. Yoongi paid for seeds. Jungkook and Taehyung held out the feed into the air. At one point, seven brightly colored parakeets stood on both of them. Seokjin snapped a photo and sent it to Yoongi.

In the end, Taehyung fell asleep in Jungkook’s arms. “We should get them matching shirts,” Yoongi teased. “Taehyung can wear one that says ‘if found please return to Jungkook.’”

“And what would Jungkook’s say?” Seokjin asked.

“I’m Jungkook.”

“I am not Taehyung’s permanent babysitter,” Jungkook protested from where he walked behind them.

“Too late,” Yoongi shrugged, “he’s sticking to you like a leech.” Yoongi laughed at his own joke. His laughter stopped when Seokjin ducked down to kiss him. It was brief. A quick peck on the lips. Enough to silence Yoongi and turn Seokjin’s cheeks. Enough to make Jungkook question why he ever protested the relationship in the first place.