[JinHope] Pumpkin Spice Ale

In Media Res

I accidentally reblogged a prompt request on tumblr.

Luckily only three people asked for stuff but really I can't afford to write excess projects right now.

I have too many promises AND fix exchange to work on.

Prompt- 2seok Falling in love with best friend's partner au


 

 

 

It was September when Hoseok first met Seokjin.

Hoseok knows this because he had to wear a jacket that day, and the bars in Itaewon started serving alcohol with pumpkin flavoring. Hoseok hated spicy drinks. But Nam Joon loved it.

Seokjin loved it more.

He had a dogfish head bottle in his hand, the label showing a bear cutting open a pumpkin.

He had dark eyeliner around his eyes.

His hair shown purple under the lights.

He was beautiful.

“Hoseok, this is Seokjin,” Nam Joon introduced him.

“Nice to meet you,” Seokjin held out his hand.

“Hi,” Hoseok intelligently muttered. He shook Seokjin’s hand and then fixed his snapback.

“He’s one of the new writers at Yoongi’s radio station,” Nam Joon explained.

And then his arm went around Seokjin’s waist.

Of course.

Hoseok smiled, “Oh no, you work for that grump? I’m sorry.”

“He’s not too bad once you give him coffee,” Seokjin answered lightheartedly. And then he smiled.

Hoseok’s smile grew wider, “You can’t serve coffee to children.”

Nam Joon laughed. Seokjin laughed. Hoseok laughed.

Yoongi arrived, he heard everything. He got Hoseok in a headlock and said “What was that about being a kid.”

“Well you’re so short,” Hoseok laughed harder, he blindly reached for Yoongi on his back.

And when Yoongi was off, Seokjin was still laughing.

Hoseok’s chest constricted.

~~

Hoseok moved one box from the stack in the empty living room to on top of the kitchen table.

“If you needed a place closer to the station, why don’t you move in with Nam Joon?” Hoseok asked as he unwrapped plates, “He lives across the street.”

“I have this self-imposed I don’t live with boyfriends rule,” Seokjin took the plates and put them on the shelves.

“Why?”Hoseok asked.

“I did that with one guy. We were together for two years before I said yes and once I moved in he was too clingy, it took the fun out of the relationship,” Seokjin explained, “Nam Joon did ask me to move in with him.”

Hoseok can imagine. This was the same guy who bought three dozen roses for their sixth month anniversary.

Hoseok put the empty box on the floor and grabbed the one filled with glass, “But don’t you want the cute little heteronormative gay life?”

Seokjin scoffed, “No thank you.”

“You could sign one lease, file joint taxes, use one toothbrush,” Hoseok teased.

“And we could use a surrogate to have two kids?” Seokjin played along, “Once with my and once with Nam Joon’s!”

Hoseok’s eyes grew wide and he had a wide smile, “You could make Christmas cards in matching sweaters and send them out to everyone!”

The charade was up, they both were red faced and laughing. Seokjin clutched as his belly while tears formed at the corners of his eyes, “That sounds awful.”

“I know,” Hoseok wheezed.

But that’s what Nam Joon wants. They talked about it one night when they were still in university. When they sat under the stars in the back of Hoseok’s red truck and passed around Yoongi’s bong. Nam Joon wanted the pretty little domestic life, and wanted to show it off to his family and coworkers. Yoongi wanted him to shut up. Hoseok didn’t remember say anything, he was too busy counting stars.

And now he saw galaxies in Seokjin’s dark eyes, still half closed in laughter.

“God, I’d hate the domestic life,” Seokjin wiped at his eyes.

“I hope you have a daughter,” Hoseok said when he caught his breath.

“Hmm, a daughter?” Seokjin looked at him.

“When you do the surrogate mother,” Hoseok continued, “I hope your baby is a daughter with your fat lips and big eyes. She’d be beautiful.”

Seokjin stilled at that. He searched Hoseok’s eyes, prodding for something.

“I’d buy her cute dresses,” Seokjin said halfheartedly.

Hoseok laughed at that.

Seokjin didn’t.

~~

Seokjin stopped inviting Hoseok out after that day. The only time Hoseok would get a glimpse of him would be in group outings when they were all together.

Yoongi started bringing his underage boytoy with them to the bar. He was a cute kid with a wide smile that sometimes attended dance classes at the academy where Hoseok taught.

“He’s a really good dancer,” Jimin said excitedly, words already slurring after one beer “You should see his performances one day.”

“Nah, I saw all of them in college,” Nam Joon said.

“You could still come to my performances, jack ,” Hoseok teased.

“But I’ve seen them all,” Nam Joon retorted.

“Be nice Nam Joonie,” Seokjin rubbed the back of Nam Joon’s neck, “go support your best friend.”

“I’d like to revoke our friendship, right now,” Yoongi slammed his bottle of blue moon.

“Too late,” Hoseok hugged Yoongi’s shoulders, “We’re blood brothers.”

“You’re gross, go away.” Yoongi whined.

Everyone laughed. Seokjin laughed. Hoseok’s chest constricted.

~~

Hoseok shifted the plant from one arm to another so that he could knock on the door.

Seokjin opened it, his hair was still damp from a shower, his skin soft and glowing. Hoseok swallowed. “Hi,” he said.

“Hi,” Seokjin opened the door wider so that Hoseok could step inside, “I didn’t know you’d be here so early.”

“Well I fly out tomorrow and you know me,” Hoseok placed the plant on the coffee table, “I always wait until the last minute to do things.”

He stepped back to admire the plant. Seokjin stepped next to him.

“How long will you be gone?” Seokjin asked.

Hoseok shrugged, “It’s a two year contract, but I can always renew it.”

“That long, god,” Seokjin ran a hand through his hair, “You better take photos. And, like, send me Michael Jackson’s star from the walk of fame or something.”

Hoseok laughed, “I doubt Hollywood would let me do that.”

“So. They already stole you from us, I don’t give a about them.”

Hoseok looked at Seokjin. Seokjin look at Hoseok. Neither were smiling.

“Hoseok, is it because of me that you’re-”

“No,” Hoseok cut him off, “It’s more than that.”

Seokjin didn’t look convinced, he started chewing on his fingernails.

Hoseok pulled Seokjin’s hand away from his mouth and kissed the fingertips, “You and Nam Joon are great together. Don’t mess that up because of me.”

“I never thought about it,” Seokjin tried to laugh. It died in his throat.

He pulled his hand away and looked back at the plant, “It’s beautiful,” he said.

“It’s an Amaryllis bulb,” Hoseok explained, “After the flower dies, you dig out the bulb, put it in the freezer, and plant it again in the spring.”

The petals were bicolored, white with red ribs and speckled.

“You’re the only person I trust to keep it alive,” Hoseok whispered.

“Don’t worry, I will,” Seokjin smiled.

It was an honest smile. This was the closure thatSeokjin always needed, Hoseok could see it on his face.

For Hoseok leaving that apartment was leaving half of his heart.

~~

Hoseok kept in contact with everyone while he was in LA.

Yoongi spoke in short, abrupt emails.

Jimin spoke in long rambling emails and a myriad of photos of Yoongi and him or his dance classmates.

Nam Joon spoke in the occasional 3 hour long phone call.

Seokjin spoke in weekly letters and photos.

Hoseok was right.

Seokjin’s daughter had his eyes.

And his son had Nam Joon’s smile.