[Vkook] Lifetimes

In Media Res

The Seoul skyline is blocking the sky in a way that makes the city look like it's burning in a flurry of harsh oranges and bright reds. The city is on fire, Jungkook muses, how fitting. He lights the cigarette that spent all day resting on his ear and watches the sundown. Up on the roof, you can see everything, except the details, just the big picture. Vague and grim.

He begins, “It takes seven years to become a master at something. The average American lives to eighty eight, so if we start at age eleven, it’s possible to become an expert on eleven different things. So it doesn’t matter if we pick a school and choose a major now. Seven years later, we’ll be able to choose a new one and after seven more years we’ll excel at that too.”

“So what are you saying?” Taehyung asks.

“That life is a circle,” Jungkook takes another drag from his cigarette, “And after I get that freaking law degree that my mom wants, I’ll still have time to paint and draw comic books. University will just be a pit stop.”

“Life seems infinite when you describe it like that.”

“Not infinite, just long. We’ve only experienced a small bit of it, we don’t even understand the concept of decades, at least not yet.”

Jungkook stops talking. Taehyung looks like he’s seriously thinking, but Jungkook knows better, has known him for seventeen years. Really Taehyung is thinking about dinner or the latest episode of Fairy Tale or even the basketball game on tv that night. Taehyung doesn’t get it, not yet. 

 


AN: written in between studying for finals. The "lifetimes" thing comes from here.