[Yoonseok] Mending a tear

In Media Res

 

More tumblr prompts: Yoonseok, coming home

aka, the story that is way more autobiographical than it should be

set in the same universe as this

(don't be surprised if the yoonjin story is removed, i'm editing it)


 

 

“Really?” Yoongi asked in a monotonous tone, laced with disbelief.

“Really!” Nam Joon insisted on the other line.

Yoongi kicked her legs against the wall. She was laying down on her bed – okay not a bed, more like a mattress on the floor- with her feet propped on the wall and a book on her stomach. This was how she read, since she was nine years old and realized you could read while laying down, the ultimate form of laziness. She spoke into the receiver, “Pics or it didn’t happen.”

“I don’t have it with me,” Nam Joon groaned, “I just got off work.”

“Excuses,” Yoongi turned to the next page of her book.

Nam Joon groaned, “I’ll be home in a few minutes.”

“Whatever,” Yoongi hung up.

Ten minutes later, Nam Joon sent her photos of her acceptance letter her number one choice for University. The one Yoongi attended.

Yoongi shut her book and immediately called back, “Holy you did.”

“If you could do it, I can do it,” Nam Joon said. Yoongi knew that tone, the same smug tone that Nam Joon has when she’s proud of herself. Yoongi glared at a spot on her ceiling, “What’s that supposed to mean.”

“My GPA is better than yours was, and I got top ten in my graduating class. How did you rank?”

Yoongi willed the spot to set on fire, “Like it matters,” she changed topics, “Do you want to be my roommate? You and me in my ty apartment, maybe together we’ll have enough money for furniture.”

“You mean you don’t like your striped lawn chairs?” Nam Joon mocked

Yoongi looked at her empty bedroom, where textbooks were stacked against the wall for lack of a desk or bookshelf. “They’re nice,” false, they were ugly, “but a couch would be nicer.”

Nam Joon laughed, she has an ugly laugh, too loud too throaty, but Yoongi found herself laughing too.

“I would, but I already promised Hoseok we’d get an apartment together.

Yoongi froze.

“You’ll come and visit us, right?”

Yoongi swallowed, “Every weekend.”

She promised to go to Nam Joon’s cousin’s basketball game with them next weekend, and to help them go apartment hunting the weekend after that.

She hung up the line. She stared at her feet, striped socks still propped on the wall, and waited for veins to warm again. It’s been over a year since she last saw Hoseok, had that been enough? Judging by the goosebumps on her skin, no. But she already promised, and she could never break a promise.

Yoongi closed her eyes, tried to forget a long face that smiled with too many teeth. It wasn’t working.

She curled up under the sheet. She didn’t want to walk all the way across the room to turn off the light switch, so she covered her head with the sheet. Maybe sleep will be enough.

~~

It had been a casual comment almost two years ago, some lingering sentence, just barely audible in the roar of the cafeteria, interrupting Yoongi’s thoughts

“Will you be my first lesbian kiss?” Hoseok asked.

Yoongi choked on her Pepsi.

“Now?” Yoongi looked at her, wide eyed and blushing.

“Not now,” Hoseok pushed a lock of her shoulder length black hair behind her ear, “But you know, sometime before you graduate.”

“Why don’t you ask Nam Joon? The actual lesbian,” Yoongi asked.

Hoseok moved the vegetables on her tray with her fork, separating the cauliflower from everything else. “Because Nam Joon knows what she’s doing,” Hoseok said casually, “And I’ve known you longer.”

Yoongi had been her mentor in middle school, and then again in high school. Hoseok looked up, her eyeliner was too thick, it looked like a five year old used a thick black sharpie to outline her eyes. “Please,” Hoseok pouted.

Yoongi sighed, “Fine.”

Hoseok smiled, a full heart shaped smile, “Thanks.”

It didn’t happen that day. Or week.

After a month Yoongi forgot about the promise.

She started dating a boy, one with an asian that had Sailor Moon screenshots hidden in a secret folder on his phone. Yoongi wasn’t in love, but she was bored and, well, he was there and willing.

Hoseok, too, had a boyfriend, but when did she not? When did she not have some poor boy carrying her backpack across the school, or sitting next to her in the art room of the teen center across town?

It was on an unsuspecting winter afternoon that Yoongi was reminded of her promise, when she stepped out of the music room and into the art room for a break, where Hoseok was sitting their making a mess of the paints.

“Hey,” she smiled at Yoongi.

Yoongi groaned, and fell face first on the table.

“So do you want to kiss me today?” Hoseok asked.

Yoongi sat upright immediately.

Hoseok’s boyfriend stared wide eyed at her.

“What?” Yoongi spluttered.

“Remember, I asked you at the beginning of the year?”

The memory flooded back, the cafeteria, the coke, the dumb cauliflower that Hoseok hated.

Yoongi tugged on her red beanie, “I need to catch the next bus. Tomorrow?”

“Sure,” Hoseok smiled.

Yoongi gave a curt nod in response. She walked to the entrance, only to see the bus driving off. It had arrived early today. The next one won’t come for another forty minutes.

Yoongi took two tests that morning, one for AP Biology and the other for Calculus AB, and was fried from working on her latest song. She blamed exhaustion for her poor decision making. She blamed exhaustion for actions, for making her walk back to the art room, for saying an abrupt, “Let’s get this over with,” for striding up to Hoseok, cupping her face, and pressing their lips together.

Maybe Hoseok had wanted something simple, a chaste kiss, a barely there touch. But her lips were soft on Yoongi’s, and Yoongi pressed hard. Nibbled on her lip and swallowed her gasp. Hoseok was soft, so soft, and was warm, and that warmth spread through Yoongi’s body. She pressed harder, had Hoseok sitting back on her chair, with Yoongi practically on her lap.

Someone gasped, and the trance was broken.

Yoongi pulled back. Hoseok’s lips were red and swollen and her cheeks were pink and god Yoongi wanted to kiss her again. But there was the boyfriend in the chair next to them, smiling.

“Wow.”

Yoongi turned, and there was some blonde freshman sitting across the table. Yoongi hadn’t noticed him when she walked in but there he was, with the biggest grin on his face.

Yoongi felt her face heat up. She stepped away from Hoseok, ran a hand through her own bangs. “There,” she said to the floor, “Your first lesbian kiss.”

Hoseok smiled at her, “You’re a good kisser. I’m jealous of your boyfriend.”

Yoongi had forgotten about him, had forgotten about everyone, everyone except Hoseok.

“The bus is coming soon, I should go,” Yoongi made her way out of the room. And on the ride hime. She thought about pink lips pressed against hers.

Yoongi’s boyfriend found out before she could tell him. The blonde freshmen happened to ride the same bus as him, and announced the next morning, “I heard your girlfriend’s a lesbian.”

The kid got punched in the face and Yoongi got the silent treatment for a week.

Three weeks later she found out he had been cheating on her for almost the entirety of their relationship.

But by that time Hoseok was dating some girl from the ROTC class.

“She looks hot in her uniform,” Hoseok said with a smirk.

“All soldiers look good in uniform,” Yoongi mumbled.

“And she’s good with her fingers.”

Yoongi didn’t need to know that, didn’t need to know anything about any of the girls, or guys, Hoseok was with. But Hoseok shared, because Yoongi was her best friend and didn’t tell her how she still felt the ghost of their kiss before she went to sleep.

When Yoongi graduated she stopped talking to Hoseok. She deleted her facebook, blocked Hoseok’s number, and found an apartment and job by her university. And waited for the jealous feelings to disappear.

~~

Yoongi hadn’t visited the high school since her graduation.

It still had the horribly racist Apache mascot, the ugly maroon and gold bleachers in the gym, and the same PTA Mom running the concession stand.

The mural was new though.

So was Nam Joon’s bleached white hair.

“You finally visited us,” she greeted Yoongi with a hug.

On a normal day Yoongi hated people touching her, but it’s been so long since she last saw Nam Joon. She smiled fondly, “Yeah well…”

“I thought you were avoiding me.”

Yoongi’s eyes widened. Nam Joon let go and stepped to the side, so that Yoongi could see Hoseok. Her black hair was longer, it stopped at her waist now. And her eyeliner was still thick, but it was steady. And she had the familiar heart shaped smiled.

Yoongi didn’t feel any of her former animosity, only warmth. “I was avoiding you,” Yoongi held out her arms, “but I’m over it now.”

Hoseok tackled her in a hug, she cried into Yoongi’s hair. Really it had been too long since she last saw Hoseok, since she last saw her best friend. And Yoongi didn’t feel the thrumming heartbeat of a first crush, just the joy of seeing a friend. And then Nam Joon joined their group hug and Yoongi felt like she was home again.

Jungkook saved them spots on the bleacher.

"Jungkookie," Hoseok waved.

"Hoe-seok," Jungkook said.

Hoseok glared.

Jungkook stuck her tongue out.

“Hey punk,” Yoongi leaned over Nam Joon to greet her, “long time no see.”

Jungkook scoffed. She unlocked her phone and began scrolling.

“Ignore her, she just got her braces today,” Nam Joon patted her back.

Jungkook pouted.

“I thought we were here for her basketball game?” Yoongi’s eyebrows furrowed.

“I hate basketball,” Jungkook scoffed.

Nam Joon rolled her eyes, “I said my cousin’s friend’s basketball game.”

“Which one is the friend?” Yoongi turned to the court.

“Jimin, the short one with the muscles,” Jungkook answered.

Yoongi spotted her, all tan skin and toned body with her long hair tied in a ponytail, just as Hoseok said, “The hot one.”

Yoongi had to agree.