[Yoonjin] The Best Laid Plans

In Media Res

This was from the last round of tumblr prompts. I can't believe I never uploaded it.

Prompt: yoonjin- 2 miserable people meeting at a wedding


 

 

 

 

Yoongi took a sip of the red wine.

He looked at the white paper lanterns hanging from the roof beams. He looked at the bride and groom sat in the center table for all to see and to give well wishes. Nam Joon, the lucky groom, had this too wide grin on his face that threatened to break his face. He was constantly kissing the red faced bride. She’d scold him every time, he’d apologize, and then kiss her again. They were cute together/

They made Yoongi feel like throwing up.

It wasn’t just them. It was the music and the lavish bouquets, and the annoying middle aged people who had all sorts of advice on how to stay married and blah, blah, blah

Yoongi sat at one of the closer tables, where he was terribly bored. Nam Joon and Yoongi had been roommates in college. The rest of the groomsmen were Nam Joon’s coworkers, with their pressed ties engraved handerchiefs, and flashy golden watches. They didn’t even try to talk to Yoongi. Well, it’s not like Yoongi tried either. There were a few couples dancing to the music. And one young couple with their tongues down each other’s throat in the dark corner of the reception hall.

Maybe he should have brought Jungkook. But would the kid like these stuffy formal events? Probably not.

Yoongi drank the rest of his wine. This was going to be a long night.

At least Nam Joon was happy. He leaned to kiss the cheek of blushing bride. This time, she smiled and kissed back.

Yoongi walked to the drink table to see if they had anything stronger.

“Don’t bother, the only one stronger is the soju.”

Yoongi turned the new voice.

“Believe me, I’ve been searching for the last three dances,” the guy said. He was rubbing at his temples, his suit jacket was off and his sleeves were rolled to the elbows, showing an impressive set of arms.

Yoongi put down the bottle of Merlot, “That’s a shame.”

New guy  looked at him.

Yoongi did a quick check, they were the only two people nearby, and pulled a flask from an inside pocket.

The guy laughed, Yoongi poured into two glasses and they mixed with some of the fruit punch.

“Thank you, generous stranger,” he said with a slight accent.

Yoongi shook his hand, “I’m Yoongi, I’m the best man.”

“I’m Seokjin, I’m a filler date for my sister,” Seokjin answered.

“Who’s your sister?”

“One of the bridesmaids,” Seokjin pointed at their table, “She was supposed to come with her long term boyfriend, but they broke up a week ago. Now I’m just trying to stop her from drinking too much.”

Yoongi looked at their glasses and scoffed, “You hypocrite.”

Seokjin laughed. Yoongi laughed.

“If you’re the best man, why do you-” Seokjin  motioned his hand, when the words didn’t come he tried again, “You’re not having fun?”

“I’m not fond of weddings,” Yoongi admitted.

“Me either, I don’t understand the practice of legally binding yourself to another person,” Seokjin shrugged, “What about you?”

“I never liked weddings,” Yoongi looked at the contents of his glass, “I like them even my less after my failed marriage.”

“That happens sometimes,” Seokjin sighed.

A waiter came by and refilled their wine glasses. They watched the dance floor, where Nam Joon twirled his bride around the room while surrounded by family and friends. A few of the small children wove in and out between the dancers.

“If you don’t mind me asking, what ended the marriage?”

“Our interests were too similar,” Yoongi explained, “She liked men, so did I.”

Seokjin laughed.

At that moment one of the children broke away from the group and ran up to Seokjin with a thunderous roar. Seokjin faked surprise, then laughed at the small boy. He fit himself on Seokjin’s lap as Seokjin wiped off his cake. The two whispered to each other in a language Yoongi didn’t recognize. German? French?

“Did they cut the cake already?” Yoongi asked. He really hadn’t paying attention to the wedding part.

“No, he just stole cake with his friends,” Seokjin chided. The kid smiled. Seokjin poked his nose.

“Taehyungie, this is Yoongi,” “Yoongi, this is my son Taehyung.”

“Hi Taehyung,” Yoongi waved.

“You’re short,” Taehyung said in perfect Korean. Yoongi would be offended, but he’s just a kid.

“Yeah, well I’m taller than you,” Yoongi retaliated.

“I’m still growing. You’ll be short forever,” Taehyung said indignantly. His face broke into a wide box smile.

Seokjin fixed Taehyung’s hair then whispered something to him. Taehyung nodded, gave his father a thumb’s up, then took off running. Seokjin laughed softly.

“What language was that?” Yoongi asked.

“French,” Seokjin answered, “I may be Korean but I grew up in Paris.”

“Do you still live there?” Yoongi asked.

“No, I work in Gangnam now. But we speak French in the apartment,” Seokjin explained.

Yoongi, having lived his entire life in South Korea, felt inferior now. Leave it to him to befriend a hot foreigner.

The music changed to a faster song, all the dancers tried desperately to keep up.

“Taehyung’s your kid?” Yoongi asked.

“Of course.”

“And his mother?”

Seokjin paused. He took a drink from his glass before answering, “We had tryst in Venice. She didn’t want to keep him but I told her that I would raise him. We’re not in touch anymore.”

He stared blankly into the audience. Yoongi coughed, “You’re doing a good job.”

Seokjin turned to him, his eyebrows were furrowed into a slight frown.

“You’re doing a good job raising Taehyung,” Yoongi clarified.

“I do my best,” Seokjin smiled, he had a nice smile, “What about you? Do you have any children?”

“I have one, but he’s 14 now… and I didn’t do much of the raising,” Yoongi explained. He thought of Jungkook, when he was 6 years old and Yoongi lost the custody battle. Just last week his ex-wife uploaded new photos on facebook. Jungkook came up to her hsoulders.

“It’s never too late to try,” Seokjin said with a reassuring smile.

Yoongi smiled back.

Taehyung ran back at that moment. He pulled on Seokjin’s pant leg and pointed across the room, where one of the bridesmaids was throwing up in one of the flower arrangements. Seokjin sighed.

“It was nice talking to you Yoongi. And thanks for the um,” Seokjin waved his glass.

“No problem,” Yoongi said.

“I could always thank you with dinner, one day?” Seokjin offered.

He was tall, and attractive, and when was the last time Yoongi went on a date?

“Dinner would be nice,” Yoongi beamed.

Seokjin handed him his business card. He finished the rest of his glass and let Taehyung drag between the dancers to the other side of the room. Yoongi was left to fester on his thoughts.

And later when Yoongi was called to a perform a toast for the groom, he was able to conjure up enough warm feelings to all have the attendants applauding at the end.

Nam Joon was even crying.

~~

A week later, Yoongi was sitting in his living room and staring down at his self phone on the table. He laid across his couch. He grabbed his phone. He punched in the numbers before he could change his mind.

The phone rang three times.

“Hello?”

“Hi Jungkook,” Yoongi released the breath he had been holding, “It’s me Yoongi.”

A pause.

“Hi dad,” Jungkook said through the other end.

His voice was deeper. When was the last time Yoongi saw him?

“Hey,” Yoongi responded.

Another pause.

Jungkook finally asked, “Is there something you want?”

“Not really,” Yoongi shrugged, “I just wanted to check up on you. How are you?”

“I’m good.”

Yoongi nodded. Then he remembered that Jungkook couldn’t see him. He asked, “How’s school?”

“Okay, I guess. My grades are decent.”

“Decent?”

“… mom scolds for me not getting As.”

“Does she care about the drawings all over your notes?”

“Oh I keep a separate notebook for my drawings,” Jungkook laughed.

Yoongi laughed.

The conversation flowed from there. They slipped into an easy back and forth asking all the usual questions and what not. The phone call ended after 2 hours with a promise to go to the movies next week.

Yoongi hung up the phone with a smile on his face.

He made another phone call.

The phone rang twice.

“Hello.”

Yoongi felt his face heat up, “Hi, this is Yoongi. The one from the wedding.”

“Oh, hello Yoongi, I remember you.” Seokjin greeted cheerfully. Yoongi heard the already familiar hint of an accent.

His smile grew wider.

“About that dinner.”