The Played Playboy

The Played Playboy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana was supposed to be returning on Saturday night from her family vacation. It was now Thursday and Yoorin only had very limited time left.

She knew it was time. It was time for him to find out. It was time for her to tell him. She had always known that he had to find out sooner or later, he couldn't go on forever without knowing.

Hana would be getting the same idea, she would probably get right down to business as soon as she got back. Which meant Yoorin will have to get there before Hana did.

Maybe things wouldn't be as bad if he were to find out from her... but then that didn't necessarily mean it still wouldn't be bad. She had been dreading about this for so long now, it was weird to think that it was finally going to happen.

But telling him was easier said than done. Her dad was on a break from work which meant he was always home, so she couldn't talk to him there. L.Joe was constantly tailing them in school so she could barely get a word in there either. And, strangely, Minwoo seemed to have developed a strong sense of refusal whenever Yoorin talked about going to his place.

His excuse was that they were redecorating so the house was really messy, he said he didn't want her to see it. Both of them were also too busy to really see each other outside of school since it was exam season and they had to study hard.

Yoorin stepped inside her house after a long and frustrating day at school to be greeted by the aroma of something very strong. She frowned before dropping her backpack on the ground and making her way to the kitchen. It was hot and extremely humid in there.

"Dad?" Yoorin called out. She stuck her head inside to find him with his head bent over a pot. He turned around as he slurped the last bit of ramyun that was hanging off his chopsticks.

"Ah, Yoorin!" He exclaimed, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards his creation. "Look at this," he said proudly, gesturing to the pot that looked like it had about five packets of ramyun in. "It took me a few tries to get it right but it's finally perfect!" He held up his fist.

Yoorin rolled her eyes before tapping it.

Her dad took some of the ramen and put it in the bowl, taking it with him to the table.

"Dad, when are you going back to work?" Yoorin asked, sitting opposite him.

"Monday," he replied back with his mouth full.

Not good, Hana would be back by Saturday...

She sighed before pushing herself up and going upstairs to her room, going over what she was going to say to Minwoo for the millionth time.

***

The next day was Friday, time was definitely running out. Thank God L.Joe was no where in sight when she stepped inside school. But then Minwoo was also no where to be found. 

Just when she was about to walk into her classroom, she got a text message from L.Joe. 

Meet me at the field, I have something to discuss with you real quick. 

She sighed before stuffing her phone back into her pocket.

Just what could he possibly want now?

But she had about a good ten minutes left before the bell would ring for the school to start so she started to trudge her way outside. He was no where to be seen though, if he was outside anywhere then she would have been able to spot him anywhere with that hair of his.

She brought her wrist up and frowned at the time. She looked around more and saw people outside preparing for their physical education lesson that would start soon. Pulling out sacks with footballs in and playing around with their baseball bats. Before she knew what was happening she heard someone urgently screaming her name.

The next thing she knew she was on the floor with a heavy weight on top of her. She struggled herself upright but then abruptly stopped when a painful groan echoed in her ears. She realised that L.Joe was on top of her and he looked like he was in absolutely agony. She quickly wriggled out from under him to take a proper look at what just happened.

When he was no longer blocking her views she realised that they were a couple of shot puts laying on the floor. He was on the ground and clutching his stomach with one arm while the other was lying dead and limp next to him, looking like it belonged to a rag doll.

Minwoo was half jogging to school, holding his backstrap close to him so it wouldn't bounce around so much. He was going to be late again because he was having yet another argument with his father at home, they just couldn't seem to get along lately.

The minute he stepped through the gate there seemed to be alot of commotion going on.

Dammit, I missed a few minutes of school and I miss everything! He cursed to himself as he tried to catch some of the hushed conversation that was going around him.

Yeah, I heard he was protecting her from them. But he got really hurt.

Hm, that transfer student with the wacky hair?

Did he crack a skull? I mean, shot puts are capable of that, right?

Wacky hair? Shot puts? Something doesn't sound right.

Minwoo in a sharp breath and then ran to the nurse's office. When he got there the beds were empty.

"Excuse me,"he said, slightly out of breath. "Did a short guy with fluffy orange hair come in here today with shot puts indented in him?"

"Erm," the nurse bit her lip. "I think that boy got sent to the hospital."

"What?" Minwoo said. "Are his injuries that bad?"

But before he could get an answer his phone started ringing. Minwoo quickly excused himself before lifting the phone to his ear.

"Minwoo, I'm at the hospital." Yoorin's soft voice said down the line.

"What?Are you hurt?"

"What? Ah, no, no, I'm perfectly fine. I'm here with Byunghun, he got injured trying to protect me-" So it was Yoorin that he had rescued, huh? "-he sure saved me from getting clobbered by shot puts. Anyway, his parents are too busy to be here so I will stay with him in the meantime."

"Doesn't he have anyone else there for him?" Minwoo said, not feeling comfortable with the idea of L.Joe and his girlfriend alone together.

"No, he only moved back here not so long ago so he doesn't have alot of friends." Yoorin said, not sounding like she was liking the idea either. "Please tell my teacher for me."

They said their goodbyes and then hung up.

"I guess I'm your nurse for today," Yoorin walked in and sat down on the sat next to his bed after her phone conversation with Minwoo.

"Really?" L.Joe asked. "I thought you would go back to school."

"No way," Yoorin chuckled softly. "You got hurt because of me, I can't just leave you. No matter how annoying you've been all week."

"Oh?" He looked down and set his lips into a grim line."Was I that bothersome? Sorry about that... I just really didn't want us to be awkward... I didn't want you to start drifting from me, you know?"

"I know," Yoorin said before sighing and getting up. "I'll go to the store to get some snacks, do you want something?"

"Nah," L.joe said, watching her walk out without even turning around once.

How did this happen? Was he driving her away instead of bringing her closer?

His plan even backfired, too.

His plan was to:

Protect her. Get a scratch. Get sent to the nurse's office. And have some alone time with her there.

He had hoped he knew how to take it from there. His emotions had just been piling higher and higher everyday ever since that kiss. And he didn't know what to do about it, all he knew was that seeing her always with that Minwoo all the time sets him on edge.

He laid down on the bed and turned to the side to stare out of the window.

I now have a fractured rib, arm and a broken wrist because I only wanted a moment alone with Yoorin, he thought to himself.

He must have been in his own little world for longer than he thought because he blinked and then he heard the sound of the door sliding open from behind him.

"Yoorin..." L.Joe whined softly without looking up, "My arm is itchy, can you scratch it for me?"

He smirked to himself when he felt the pressure of her hand on his, but then he let out a scream when she squeezed it, hard. He sprung up and saw that it was not Yoorin that had squeezed on his broken wrist, but her boyfriend. "What are you doing here?"

"I talked to the track and field team, they told me everything. They said you told them to throw those shot puts!" Minwoo said, his voice raising slightly.

"So what? I can get hurt if I want to." L.Joe said, laying back with his free hand behind his head.

Minwoo took a few dangerous steps towards L.Joe and grabbed the fabric of his hospital gown. "Yoorin could have gotten hit!"

Oh... I hadn't thought of that possibility, L.Joe thought guiltily.

But he didn't want to show Minwoo that his words had effect. "Whatever, man." He waved his hand in a dismissive way. "I would never let anything hurt her, so stop preaching."

"I'm not preaching!" Minwoo yelled. "I'm telling you to stay the hell away from her!" L.Joe was naturally taken aback by how loud Minwoo had yelled and how much the words stung surprised him. He didn't know what to say back or how to react.  "You have your own girlfriend so just keep all of your attention on her." Minwoo said through gritted teeth. "I can't stand seeing Yoorin all worked up because of you so just hurry up and stop getting inbetween us already.We already have enough to deal with as it is."

"Aren't you the least bit upset that I'm going out with your ex?" L.Joe said, throwing Minwoo a challenging look. "I only asked her out because I knew you two had a thing, I thought it would get to you."

"I don't give the least care in the world about who you go out with, I have someone I really care about now and I only think of her - something you shoyuld do the same to your own girlfriend." Minwoo said with his jaw tense.

"Maybe it's because Sooyeong wasn't the last girl who you were with." L.Joe said, "I actually planned on going for the last girl you were with... Hana, right?" Minwoo remembered her.  "But then I didn't want to do that either, because Hana and Yoorin are best friends. They've even known each other for longer than me and Yoorin."

Wait... Hana and Yoorin... best friends? Minwoo thought to himself, staggering back a little. Hana... is Chanhee's little sister? Wait... Yoorin could have more than one bestfriend, right? She's the most sociable person I know... but then again, there's still this feeling at the back of my head that is telling me that Hana is the one. But why didn't Yoorin tell me then?

Minwoo didn't know how to react. but luckily enough, he didn't have to because right then Yoorin walked in.

“Oh, Minwoo,” Yoorin said as she peeked over the big brown plastic bag she was hugging to herself. “What are you doing here?”

He was still trying to process the reasons as to why Yoorin would have lied to him about such a small matter. It didn’t make any sense.

Yoorin walked over and put the bag down on the table and walked over to Minwoo and started to gently push him out. “You need to get back to school, classes have already started.”

He didn't bother putting up much of a fight, he needed some alone time to think things through and to think about what he needed to say to Yoorin when he was alone with her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter