Dinner Companion

That's So Random!

Description:
Their world from another pair of eyes.

Foreword:
"You just love the attention, don't you?"


 

One afternoon, at a lunch table.

 

“Look at that guy,” one of the four people sitting at the table pointed out at a middle-aged man, sitting alone a few tables away from them, eating on his lunch with a newspaper in his hand, looking sharp and sleek in a suit, complete with a neck tie of the same color tone as his suit. “You see, I personally hate eating alone because it’d make me feel and look pathetic like I don’t have any friend kind enough to join me for a meal. But look at him; he looks like he owns this place.”

“He might be the owner,” added one of his friends.

"Well that reminds me,” another friend jumped in, “I was at this restaurant last night; had dinner with a couple of old friends from college," he began, chewing on his fries. "Me and my friend were sitting at the bar while waiting for the other friend to arrive."

"Classic. I think I can see where this is going."

"Nope, sorry to disappoint you," he waved a finger, "this isn't a typical picking-up-chicks-at-the-bar story."

His friends squinted, frowning in anticipation of the real story.

"So, we were sitting at the bar when this man walked in."

His friends’ frown deepened.

"Yes, a man," he continued. "So, he came alone and took a seat across from us. The moment he sat down, we were entranced. He had this very strong aura; very magnetic, drawing your attention like a black hole. And like our friend over there, he was also in a sleek suit and I would my entire fortune that it was a designer’s suit. You can try looking away but you would immediately end up looking back at him. He had very sharp facial features; the shape of his face, his eyes, and the way they wandered around the bar. Very intense."

"He declined when the waiter offered to show him his table. He said he was waiting for someone and will take the table when that person arrives. But he accepted the complimentary drink with a polite smile."

"He just sat there, one hand tracing fingers on the glass of drink and the other carding through his hair as he tilted his head every now and then. He caught our stares once. He just nodded with a smile and raised his glass towards us. The smile felt like a smug to me because something told me that he gets that all the time. I mean he knows he attracts attention and he loved it."

"But it wasn't arrogance. There were a few ladies tried to chat him up and offered him drinks, but he declined as politely as he did the waiter earlier. He was very magnetic, he pulled you in, but he had this wall, like a shield that made him unreachable."

He paused to take a sip of his drink.

"So, after like 15-20 minutes, another guy walked in. And believe me when I say this guy could crush your confidence and even your dreams. He was tall, dark-haired, well groomed, and also dressed up in a tailored suit. We felt like some random outcasts in our office wears. Hell we felt like beggars."

"We kinda expected that this man was the someone that he was waiting for. I mean, even at a glance, you'd know that they belong in the same world; the suit, the clean cut, the strong personalities with same amount of confidence oozing from their pores."

"But, what we didn't count on was the change in the first guy's expression. The moment he saw the second guy, his strong expression melted and he was beaming with the widest smile. He let his guard down around this guy. Boy what I wouldn’t give to have someone smiles at me like that when I walk into the room.”

“Dude, that’s mean. You’re married.” His friend interjects.

He chuckled, “I’m just kidding!”

"And so, we knew that they were more than dinner companions when the second guy whispered something into his ear and he replied something like 'you're gonna have to make up for it'. And when the second guy smirked and nonchalantly gulped down the rest of his drink, we were a hundred percent sure that they weren't just dinner companions."

 

~~~~~~

 

"Sorry I'm late," came a whisper in his right ear, causing a smile to spread across his face.

"An apology just won't do, you know. You're gonna have to make up for it." Jiyong bit on his lip, leaning into Seunghyun's personal space to mutter, "I was already contemplating if I should just accept the invitation from those guys across the bar and bail out on you."

Seunghyun smirked. "They invited you over?" He took the glass and gulped down the rest of the drink, cringing at the cheap taste. His eyes chanced a glance at the gentlemen of the subject.

"Well they were staring. If you were a few more minutes late, I bet one of them would have the courage to walk up with an invitation." Jiyong teased, knowing that he would stir Seunghyun's possessive streak with that.

"Why didn't you just wait at the table then?"

Yup, Jiyong stirred the right streak.

"And look pitiful sitting there alone?" Jiyong glares playfully. "No way. I know you were going to be late, might as well I wait at the bar and have some drinks."

"You just love the attention, don't you?"

"No, not really," Jiyong tilted his head. "But I love making an entrance so that I can flaunt you. Can you feel the eyes on us now?"

Jiyong pulled a silly grin, wiggling his eyebrows, as Seunghyun's cheeks redden, dented by a pair of dimples.

“Jiyong..” he sighed, shaking his head, huffing a soft chuckle. “Well then let’s enjoy your entrance and get to our table. I’m famished.” With a hand at the small of Jiyong’s back, Seunghyun led them to their reserved table, with Jiyong holding his chin up, proudly showing off his dinner companion.

 

==========