Best Friend

The Boy Who Wrote A Hundred Love Letters

Here’s the second update~ It’s a long one, almost 1k words! Haha, once again thank you and tell me what you think :D

Here’s my shameless advertising for this song. I love this song. The voices are beautiful and it just reminds me so much of the old times. I love the song so much, so if you have time, please listen to it :)

Love Again by 2Bic ft. Ailee


|| Chapter Four ||


Jongin stared at the signature at the bottom of the paper. He held it away from him then held it close as possible, the paper practically touching his nose.

“…What the heck is a D.O?” He asked himself as he took out his phone. He knew he wasn’t a smart guy and thinking just wasn’t his forte so he knew just the person to ask if there was ever a question that needed an answer. He scrolled down his contact list, found that person, and started to dial.

It took about six rings for Jongin to realize that that person was ignoring him and Jongin was nothing but persistent. He called him once again, and again he was ignored.

He sighed and called again and was ignored.

Jongin bit his lower lip and tried again and after four rings, the person picked up and a smirk found its way on Jongin’s lips.

“I swear to God Jongin this better be important or I’m going to rip your balls out!”

Jongin pouted. “Why you gotta be so mean, Sehun?”

“IT’S FOUR O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING YOU !”

“Right, got it. Oh Sehun isn’t a morning person.” Jongin teased as he heard heavy breathing from the other end of the phone, making Jongin snicker. “Alright, alright I’ll make this quick. What does D.O mean?”

There was silence and what sounded like shuffling at the end of the phone, probably Sehun getting up from his bed. “What?”

“D.O,” Jongin repeated. “What does it mean?”

Jongin heard a heavy and long drawn out sigh. “Do, in the English language is when you make an action. Let me give you an example, okay? It’s a pretty complicated example so listen up. You DO not wake up a person at four o’clock in the morning, you DO not bother them with questions that can easily be answered by google, and you DO not bother Oh Sehun when he is taking his beauty sleep! DO you understand?!”

Jongin rolled his eyes at his best friend’s obvious drama queen tendencies. “I know what ‘do’ means, what I meant was D.O! A big D, then period, and a big O.”

There was long silence. A silence so long Jongin thought Sehun had hung up. “…Jongin, are you trying to tell me you’re gay?”

“What?!”

“Because you really don’t need to use euphemisms with me like big D. I understand, I’m your best friend and I’ll accept you no matter what.”

“SEHUN NO! I. AM. NOT. GAY!” Jongin breathed out angrily, “Just tell me what D.O means dammit!”

“What are you so fixated on this anyway?”

Jongin bit his lower lips hesitantly. Sehun was a good guy, once you dig through the bratty like attitude and drama queen tendencies; but he was the no-nonsense types of people. If it couldn’t be proven by science then it probably doesn’t exist, that was his philosophy basically. So Jongin knew that it wouldn’t bode well with Sehun’s philosophy that Jongin found letters that came from the future, because it couldn’t be explained with science. Not any science that Jongin knew anyway. “I…I found some letters…”

“Letters…? Do people still make letters these days?”

“Well, I found one.” Jongin said as he lifted up the letter in his hand and stared at the weird letters at the bottom. “And it had D.O written at the bottom and I don’t know what it means.”  

 “Wait…backtrack for a bit. You found one? It wasn’t sent to you?! Jongin that’s invasion of privacy! You could get arrested for that!”

“Well I found it in my house so…technically it’s mine right?” Jongin could hear the long sigh from the other line.

“Jongin…” Sehun started as Jongin prepared as himself for a long and tedious explanation of Korea’s laws. But surprisingly that didn’t come. “Aish, you know what? The faster I answer your question the faster I can get back to sleep, so I’m going to forget about that fact that you just committed a crime and answer you. I don’t know what D.O means but let’s get the facts straight. How many letters did you find—nope, for the sake of not being nabbed as an accessory to your crime. How many letters did you receive?”

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows and looked at the box on his bed. He reached out and opened the box, seeing the letters neatly stacked up on each other. “I don’t know…probably a lot. I haven’t counted.”

“Well then mister genius, maybe you should start reading the other letters and see what those contain and maybe, just maybe, no guarantees though, you could solve this great baffling mystery!”

Jongin frowned. “But I thought that was a crime?”

“You’ve opened one letter Jongin. I’m finding it a hard time to process how opening the other letters is going to dent your conscience.”

Jongin bit back the smile that threatened to take hold of his lips. Sehun knew him too well. “Glad you understand me.”

“Where did you found—excuse me, received, those letters anyway?”

“In my attic.”

“Well there you go!” Sehun concluded. “If they were in your attic, which is so old it could practically hold it’s on museum showcase, then I doubt that the person that wrote those letters is still alive. Those letters were probably written a long time ago.”

“R-Right…thanks for the help Sehun.” Jongin concluded as he ended the phone call.

He took the next letter underneath where he found the first one. He bit his lip nervously and turned the envelope over.

November 8, 2013

Jongin sighed and reached towards the flap to open the letter.

“This might be the very first time you’re wrong Sehun old buddy…”


|| Best Friend ||