The Attic

The Boy Who Wrote A Hundred Love Letters

Okay, so this is the first chapter (yay!) I’ve been plotting out the way this story is going to go and mother of kimchi I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around what those 100 letters will contain (it may not sound much but trust me, it is) and some interesting concepts have popped up too so the tags might change while this story progress.  So I hope you’ll be here to stay for the tedious 100 letters! Comment below on what you think, thank you!

Listen to this, while reading if you want. It strangely sets the mood hahaha.

Another Me- Kim Sunggyu

 


|| Chapter One ||


Kim Jongin sat in front of his electric fan as it continued to blow out cool waves of air, cooling his body down from the immense heat of the weather. He fanned his sweaty body continuously as he wiped away the sweat that was starting to make his hair stick to his forehead uncomfortably.

“Kim.Jong.In,” Jongin internally winced as he turned around, seeing his mother standing there with a dissatisfied face. “What are you doing?”

Jongin smiled his best smile and pointed to the electric fan. “Staying cool because too much heat causes heat and that’s what all mothers want? A healthy son…?”

“Nice try,” His mother commanded as she pointed up at small door that led to the attic. “If you’ve got nothing to do, then help your mother and clean the attic.” Jongin groaned loudly and placed his head in his hands.

“But I don’t want to!” He complained as his mother just tsked loudly. Jongin stared at his mother’s angry face and decided not to risk it. The whole house was hot, which meant all its occupants were hot which also meant that people generally tend to be crankier because of the heat.

Jongin sluggishly moved his body towards the attic. He opened the latch of the door easily as he tried not to sneeze from the amount of dust that had gathered, the attic was like a mini storage room for the family, anything you didn’t want to clutter your room was immediately sent up to the attic. It had been untouched for years but now that the house was about to be renovated, his mother took it upon herself to clean every inch of the house. He peered into the small attic and sighed at all the clutter that had accumulated from the past how many years. He could see boxes with labels that had bad handwriting strewn on the front, toys that looked old and broken, and some few more objects that he couldn’t identify.

Jongin walked around the open space and started to pick up objects here and there, sometimes smiling at the memories that some objects brought. Like the beach ball near the trunk of old clothes, or the piles of old schoolbooks littering unceremoniously beside the broken mirror, or the box just peeking out behind his old and broken bike…

Hmm? That doesn’t look like the other boxes…

Jongin thought as he walked towards the box curiously, the weight of his feet making some of the old wood creak. He reached out and took hold of the box, gently dusting away the dust that had accumulated. He stared at the box and examined it from every angle, finding no indication of what was inside. Jongin shrugged his shoulders and sat down on the dirty and dusty floor as he slowly removed the tape from the box. Once the taped had been removed, he carefully peeled away the cardboard opening.

Jongin’s eyes widened when he saw letters upon letters piled up, each in a neat row. Jongin picked up one letter and stared at the creamy white envelope, there was nothing special to the paper. It was medium sized and it looked like it was old but not too old for the paper to look yellow. He stared at the sealed flap and turned the envelope over, trying to find any indication as to what was inside (maybe it was his parents old love letter; he did not want to be traumatized for life).

The attics small window was conveniently placed just above him, but because of its small size and the amount of dust that stuck on the glass the light filtering in was not providing much light making him squint at the words written at the back. When his eyes were finally able to pick up the writing, he immediately dropped the letter making it land on top of the box.

“What the…?”

He breathed out in surprise and in slight fear as his heart thundered behind his chest. His hands reached out again for the letter, hands trembling as he read the words written at the back again.

November 4, 2013

“Jongin! Come down here! I need you to help me with something!”

Jongin jumped at the sound of his mother’s voice from where he sat, colliding his head on the old grandfather clock behind him as he turned back to look at the attics entrance.

“I-I’m coming!”

He shouted back as he stood up from his spot and quickly got out of the attic and towards the kitchen where his mother was. When he reached the bottom, his mother was busily sweeping up the floor of the kitchen.

“Alright, I want you to—”

“What date is it today?” Jongin quickly cut her off. She raised a questioning eyebrow but just shook her head and continued sweeping.

 “November 3,” She said, a bit annoyed. “As I was saying, wash the dishes—”

“And the year? What year is it?” He cut her off again, making her glare at her son. She huffed in annoyance and placed a hand on her hips, making her stop from her chore.

“Jongin it’s not polite to cut someone off and—”

“Mom, the year. What year is it?”

“2012, it’s 2012. A Saturday. What’s gotten into you?”

Jongin felt a cold sweat running down at the back of his neck as he ignored his mother who was shouting and reprimanding him as he ran for his room. He quickly locked the door and placed his back against the wooden flat surface.

November 4, 2013

He repeated to himself, the creamy white envelope flashing in his mind.

“That letter…was…no, will be written tomorrow a year from now…”

He slumped down from where he sat and he started to wring his hands in worry and fear.

“What…?” He whispered to himself. “What’s going on?”


|| The Attic ||


 

 

I’m still waiting for my poster and background image to be done so we’ll have to bear with the wall of white for now :D And while I’m at it, if you want to get some great posters go here! Just seeing their posters is breathtaking so imagine what yours will look like! I guarantee it! :DD