Meeting the Ex

Meeting the Ex

“Taemin?” Ice shot through my body as I registered who just called me. I was sitting in the middle of a small café, waiting for my current boyfriend when someone who I hoped I would never have to see again appeared. Swallowing, I turned around and faced the man that stood behind me.

“Minho?” The name seemed to get stuck in my throat as my eyes scanned over the man that stood casually there. He looked good, even if he had betrayed me, I wasn’t going to lie. He had a long coat on covering a smart shirt and jeans with leather shoes. Butterflies filled my stomach and I could feel my cheeks growing brighter in colour as I faced him.

“What are you doing here?” Minho asked as he stared deep into my soul with his frog-like eyes. We hadn’t left each other on the best of notes and whenever we saw each other, it was just awkward. So many unsaid things and feelings filled the air in between us as he waited for me to answer the question.

“Um … I’m … um … meeting my boyfriend here,” I tried not to stutter. At the mention of me having another man in my life his eyes hardened and a scowl appeared across his face. “Why are you here?” I asked the same question, hoping he would have found someone else as well.

“I’m meeting a business partner,” his reply was vague as he stared me down, hatred brewing between the surface. Rage angered me as his words sunk in. I had remembered he had used those words when he was late coming home when we were together. Being the ignorant teenager I was then, I believe him. I trusted him and thought he treasured me but I couldn’t have been more wrong.

“An actual business partner or a ‘business partner’,” I couldn’t stop the words from tumbling out of my mouth, even though my brain was telling me it was the wrong things to say. Before I could react, anger flared in his eyes and he pulled me up by my arm.

“How dare you. How could you have moved on so quickly?`” he growled lowly. I couldn’t believe that the reserved Choi Minho was making a scene in the middle of a café. I yanked my arm from his grip as I glared at him, giving him the best daggers I could.

“It’s been two years Minho,” I shot back just as quickly, annoyed that he thought he still had a say in my life when I had shunned him yeras ago.

“And? I haven’t moved on,” he spat. We continued to stare at each other until he suddenly righted himself and moved to the side. Spinning on my heels I saw his ‘business partner’ walking towards us.

“Mr Choi,” her smile was so sweet I believed I was going to dies from a sugar overdose. She was a typical woman I would have thought Minho would have kept around. She was thin yet curvy with flowing black hair and sharp features. Her blouse revealed just a bit too much of her chest and her skirt was just a little bit too tight for her only to be here on business. I plastered a smile on my face as I silently stood and watched her.

“Ahh, Miss Lim,” Minho smiled as well; looking a lot more relaxed and calm now that he wasn’t dealing with me. “Shall we take a seat?” and with that they were gone, leaving me floundering in the middle of the café. Kicking myself, I sat back down in my original seat and hoped my boyfriend would be here soon to save me from the torture of having to watch the two just ahead of me.

______________________________

I didn’t like this ‘Miss Lim’. For starters she was far too touchy; hands caressing Minho’s every minute or so as she batted her eyelids like there was a fly stuck in her eye. Her lipstick was just too red and smudged in the corner whenever she ate or drank some of her low fat, no milk, no sugar cappuccino. She was obviously high maintenance, with a Gucci bag and Louis Vuiton shoes and she looked at Minho as though he was dust. What unsettled me was that Minho didn’t seem to notice. He was lapping up the attention he was getting and almost begging at her knees for more. However, the thing that made me hate Miss Lim the most was the feelings she aroused within me. She made me jealous and I didn’t want to admit it. Looking at her and the way she interacted with Minho made me want to rise from the chair and slap the makeup off her face. I wanted to stamp all over her Louis Vuiton shoes and snatch all the money from her Gucci bag. I wanted to add a tonne of sugar and a pint of milk into her cappuccino and I wanted to chop off her fingers so she could never touch Minho in the same way again. Maybe then, Minho wouldn’t want her.

But then my angel walked through the door and I was reminded why Minho deserved to be treated like mud by a slag such as her. In all his Greek God glory, my boyfriend, Kim Jongin, sauntered through the crowd, neck craned as he looked for me. As soon as I caught his eye, an angelic smile lit up his face and he hurried through the jumble of people just for me.

“Hey Minnie,” he smiled cheekily as he slumped into the chair opposite me, slinging his gym bag onto the floor and eyeing the muffin I had bought that was sitting on the table.

“Go ahead,” I knew he wouldn’t want to talk until there was a piece of food in his ever-hungry stomach. I chuckled as crumbs started to fall around his lips and stick themselves to his chin as he guzzled the poor chocolate muffin.

_____________________________

It was in moments like this that, watching Jongin, I realised how lucky I was to have found him. If Minho hadn’t cheated on me, I wouldn’t have taken up a job at the local bar and wasted a year of my life drowning in alcohol. If I hadn’t gotten over Minho, I would have never realised how much of a waste that time that was and I wouldn’t have met a poor seventeen year old that wanted nothing more than to go to a dance school across the country that his parents didn’t want him to ever go near. It was me that encouraged him to speak to his parents more and to convince them it was something that would change not only his, but their lives as well. I saved him from going down the same root I did when something in my life went wrong.

When I waved the boy off and on his way to college, I never expected him to come back for me. It wasn’t until a year later and I had settled into a small job at my friend’s shop, that he waltzed through the door and swept me away on a holiday for just the both of us. It was then that I realised he was the one and only for me.

“What are you thinking about Min?” I was pulled from my thoughts when an innocent looking Jongin snapped his fingers in front of my face, showing he had finished eating.

“Nothing, nothing. How was practice?” I changed the topic quickly; embarrassed about how fluffy my thoughts were.

“Good, Lay pushed us really hard today,” he pouted and I chuckled at his expression. Jongin didn’t like being pushed hard. He liked achieving when he didn’t have to work hard for it. “Tae, why is there a man staring at us?”

.

“Uh, oh!” I turned slightly, pretending I was just seeing Minho. Chills travelled down my spine as our eyes met, Minho shooting daggers at Jongin. “That’s … um … my ex.”

“Is he the one who caused you to … you know … drink,” Jongin’s eyes turned dark as he looked over at Minho for the second time. With one quick nod I confirmed his thoughts before placing my hands over his fists that were now placed on the table.

“Don’t Jongin-ah. It’s the past,” I smiled before reaching under the table and picking up his gym bag. I smiled at him before scraping the chair along the floor and standing. “Come on, let’s go.” Jongin nodded before smiling back and walking out of the café with me in tow. Taking one look back into the café, I saw Minho staring at us. That one snap shot was enough to confirm I had moved on from the beast that was Choi Minho. Smiling to myself, I skipped up to Jongin, held his hand and walked off into the distance.