Chapter VII

With Her

 It was still early when their manager woke them all up.

“Come on now boys! We still have to travel to get to the wedding venue,” he announced over the sleepy heads.

“Where’s Luhan?” Kris asked.

“They have left earlier to make way for some necessary preparations. Hurry up and change! Your hanboks are already there. I placed your tags atop so you won’t get confused,” he instructed them and left them to prepare.

After almost an hour, they are already done. They just got a hard time assisting the Chinese members in wearing the dress. On the way, some even fell asleep.

When they arrived at the venue, lively traditional Korean music is being played as there are people in traditional dress dancing. The wedding will took place in Joo In’s house’s front yard. They set up a stage where their parents will be, which was on the east and west side of the yard. There are seats on the aisle as the boys hurried up.

“The ceremony is about to start, hurry up to your places.” Their manager led the way.

After the merriment, there was an announcement of the wedding for the guests.

The presenter then started the ceremony.

Just then, Joo In and Luhan’s mother enters and proceeds to light the candles on the table.

After that another round of music was played from afar, signaling the arrival of the groom.

The groom’s parade was lead by Sehun holding two wooden geese; behind is Luhan being covered by a large yellow umbrella. He looks more of a Korean in his wedding attire.

“Sehun was with them?” Chanyeol asked their manager who nodded in response.

When they arrived at the little stage, Sehun handed the geese to Luhan which he presented to Joo In’s mother. He bowed twice with his hands overlapped up to his head to show respect.

Joo In’s mother accepted the geese and takes it with her on her seat.

Then there was the music to signal the arrival of the bride’s wagon. Everyone looked at the back to see the bridal’s entourage.

Two ladies in hanboks, helped Joo In descend from the wagon.

The boys were stunned by her looks. She is wearing one would think a Korean princess will wear on her wedding day. The design and the look of the dress show sophistication and glamour. She even had a head dress making her look so breathtaking. She got them completely head turned up to her arrival on the wedding table.

When she got near the stage, both enters. Luhan from the east side while Joo In from the west.

It was followed by the washing of the hands in which the two ladies assisted them.

Bowing at each other comes next. Joo In bowed twice at Luhan in which he bowed back once. Joo In repeated it again as Luhan did the same. Then they knelt down and faced each other.

A lady comes up with a tray holding two half gourds filled with liquor. She gave each of them a half instructing them to drink half of it, and then the gourds were exchanged as they finished what’s left.

The two ladies who assisted Joo In stepped forward and weaved a blue and a red thread into one signifying the Ying and the Yang.

The presenter of the wedding then performs a ritual ceremony to announce the binding of the two people and the families.

Joo In’s mother then gives the wooden geese on the two, one for each. After receiving it, the couple proceeds on bowing in front of their parents. First from Joo In’s parents then to Luhan’s parents. They even bowed to the guests which were mostly from Joo In’s side.

 

The next part was the letter reading. Luhan started first.

“Umma, Appa, Joo In-na, Han song-saeng nim, Han sa-mo nim, to everyone that’s here, let me all thank you,” he started.

“This day marks the start of my journey with Joo In. For this, I cannot promise to give her everything because I am just a human capable of making mistakes. What I can promise is to take care of her, love her just how a husband should love his wife and be there always through every trials and happiness that she may experience. Umma, Appa, please help me in reminding my duty as a husband to my wife if I commit some mistake or forgets it. Please guide us in this journey we are about to start together.

Han song-saeng nim, Han sa-mo nim I thank you for trusting me the care for your only daughter. I will try my best to be the best husband, friend and a brother for her. I will try to give my all in helping her with whatever she may encounter. Please do help me reminding myself of my duty as a husband to her.

Joo In,” he paused and sniffed. Tears fell from his eyes, same way as his parent’s got teary eyed.

“From this day onwards, we are together now. Please don’t hesitate to ask for anything I can do for you. If you need someone to talk to, I am just beside you. If you need a shoulder to cry on, I am willing to be the one. If you need a hug, you don’t need to ask. If you need a hand to hold, I am willing to take yours with both of mine. If you are hesitating to give your heart, I am willing to wait for it. We are now one. I am you and you are me. Naneun dangshineul saranghamnida Joo In.”

The crowd gave an applause as he folds the letter wiping his tears.

Joo In then unfolds her letter.

“Umma, Appa, to my Luhan oppa’s parents, to Luhan oppa and to everyone in here, thank you.

This day is very special and memorable not just for me but also to Luhan. For this day, we accepted not just the duty for each other, but each other as a whole. This is what’s destined for us. For my husband, I cannot promise to be the best wife for I am bound for mistakes. I cannot promise everything for him, for I am not that rich. I cannot promise to fully fulfill my duty for I am bound to forget sometimes. I cannot promise to be always there for I cannot control the time. What I can promise is a heart that will try to understand, care and love you no matter what we are to go through. Naneun dangshineul saranghamnida oppa,” she finished and broke into tears.

The guests finds the scene very romantic but only the two of them knows the reason why did both of them cried.

Joo In’s parents especially her mother rushed to hug her, as both cried. Some of the guests were moved into tears too.

After she was hushed down, the picture taking took over. First were Joo In’s relatives, followed by the Exo members with the manager and lastly were with their parents. There were also photo of the two together. Joo In kept on sobbing which would also move Luhan into tears.

“Your make-up will be ruined,” he whispered as he wiped off her tears. “You are the one who asked me to bear with it, please make yourself strong, just for now,” he whispered again. “I can’t control it,” she whispered back.

From afar, one would think that they are exchanging sweet words and those tears were tears of joy, but it’s actually the opposite.

 

*-*-*-*-*

“We are asking you to stay for the night,” Luhan’s Mom asked over the boys as they are taking lunch. The couple shares a table at the front, silently taking their lunch.

There was a mini program for the newlywed varying from dancing and singing. The members even rendered a song for them, their song ‘What is Love.’ Luhan even sang a song for Joo In. (Feel free to think of any song you want Luhan to sing.)

 

Later that night, the boys were left with no choice but to stay for the night. The next day will be their flight to China for the wedding ceremony that Luhan’s parents want to happen. Being the nosy one, Chen and Chanyeol decided to explore the house when it was late already. On their venture, they saw Luhan and Joo In by the yard, sitting on a bench and are in a conversation. They can hear from where they are what the two is talking about so they stayed where they are.

“Are you really serious about the letter you left on your bulletin board?” Luhan asked her.

Joo In gave a nod, “It’s not about being noble or anything. I just don’t want to be anyone’s reason for not reaching his dreams. You worked hard for you to get where you are now, and this marriage will surely make it hard for you to go on, same with me. I have many scholarship offers abroad for my studies, and they are not sending anyone who is married. I hope you understand.” She explained looking down at her feet.

“What if I don’t want to break off the marriage?” he asked again, looking at her.

She was speechless.

“It was actually Chanyeol who found the letter and read it aloud, sorry,” he added when she didn’t respond.

Chanyeol looked at Chen, “They are serious about it?” he whispered trying to be discreet.

“I think so,” Chen replied looking at the couple.

 

Joo In looked at Luhan, “If you don’t want to break off the marriage, then let go of your dream and I will let go of mine. Let’s just work together to work on the marriage,” she dared him. It was Luhan’s turn to be speechless.

“Can’t we really work it out and at the same time support each other?” Luhan asked after awhile.

“Trust me, it won’t work out,” she assured him.

“I want to fulfill my Mom’s wish,” he sheepishly smiled at her.

“Isn’t it your Mom’s wish to see us getting married?” she asked looking confused.

“That’s actually the way to fulfill that wish,” he blushed at the thought.

“You don’t mean what I am thinking right?” she asked, getting what he is thinking.

“Yeah, what you think is what my Mom wants,” he sighed.

“You are not that serious to really fulfill it huh?” she asked again.

“I don’t know,” he covered his face with his hands.

 

Meanwhile, the two who were listening were left confused of what the couple had talked about. “What are they talking about?” both asked in chorus. That was enough to make them go back at their quarter to confirm what Luhan had told her.

 

“I can’t help you with what your Mom wants. It will make the matter complicated.” –Joo In

“Why are you insisting on breaking the marriage?” –Luhan

“I’m scared, of everything that might happen. I’m scared.” –Joo In

“Why?” –Luhan

She didn’t answer his query and left him there, rushing inside.

 

At the boy’s quarter, Chen and Chanyeol arrived arguing about what they had heard.

“What are you arguing about?” Tao asked the two.

“What is that something that marriage is the only way to achieve it?” Chanyeol asked.

All of them looked at him, confusion written all over their faces.

“Marriage is the way to achieve it? S**?” Kai asked.

“That’s something private,” Chen waved him off. “It’s what most parents’ want and it is through marriage of their children that they will achieve it,” he added.

“Does it have something to do with grandchildren?” Suho asked.

“Grandchildren?” they all turned at him.

“I think so. Most parents would want their children to get married so that they can have grandchildren, isn’t it what most parents want?” he looked at them.

Chanyeol and Chen exchanged looks. “This is bad,” they whispered.