Chapter XIV

With Her

It’s been days since Sehun got sick. Good thing he had fully recovered and resumed on his trainings with the other. The boys often about being sickly and everything.

It was their break when they all got down the canteen to buy some drinks.

Joo In was there busy again on her home works.

“Hyung, why don’t you invite Joo In to join us?” Suho asked over Luhan.

“I will just get scolded. I have tried that, but she reminded me not to disturb her when she is on her assignments,” Luhan relayed as he opens his burger. “She can be cold sometimes,” he added.

“Oh come on! She will not do that here in public,” Kris pushed over.

“Don’t you feel bad seeing your wife in there?” –Xiumin

“Remember what you had promised on her about ‘your duty as her husband’ on your wedding.” –Tao

“I would never leave my girl like that, how much more my wife.” –Kai

“She looks stressed these past few days. “-Kyungsoo

And the other member shared their thoughts shaking Luhan’s conscience. Left with no choice, he stood and ordered a slice of cake with banana milk.

“Here, take a break,” he handed her the tray.

 

Papers, notebooks, books and sketches with some pictures were scattered on the table.

“Oppa,” she started massaging her temples, “What did I asked you whenever I am on my work?”

Luhan sighed and walked over to their table looking so defeated.

“I told you,” he said and sat down putting the tray down the table.

“I’ll try,” Suho volunteered. He replaced the banana milk with bubble tea and walked over to Joo In’s table.

 

“It’s bad to refuse your husband’s offer, Joo In-na,” Suho handed her the tray.

Joo In looked up at Suho. She sighed and gathered her things which took a while before she received the tray.

“I just feel awkward whenever he acts sweet. I don’t want to get used to it,” she explained.

Suho looked at the others and gave a thumb up sign.

 

Luhan starts to mumble words, “I just don’t get it why does she have to be that cold whenever she is with me. She is not like that when she is with you,” he said looking at Joo In.

“She might be uncomfortable knowing that you both barely know each other,” Xiumin said checking Joo In and Suho too. The two are engrossed in a conversation already.

“I guess so. But why act cold?” he asked bowing his head. The others looked at him with sympathy.

 

Suho looked at Joo In, “Why do you feel awkward around him?” he asked.

“I don’t know. And one thing more, I don’t want to get used on his care, I might not recover from it,” she replied playing with her cake.

“Why? Where are you going?” Suho asked again.

Joo In gave a half smile, before eating her cake.

 

*-*-*-*-*

It was late that night, around 10 pm when Suho felt the need to go outside. When he got out, Joo In had just got out of their unit too.

“You can’t sleep?” he smiled at her. She gave a nod.

“Let’s have a walk?” he offered reaching for her hand.

She was hesitant at first, but got no choice when Suho claimed her hand and pulled her along.

They went out the building to the nearby 24-hour mini shop.

“Pick anything you want,” he offered as he went on the other side of the shop.

When they met at the counter, Joo In is holding a half liter of ice cream.

“Is that all that you want?” Suho asked as he placed his two bottles of milk on the counter.

“I’ll pay for it. You can pay for my lollipop,” she said placing the lone lollipop on the counter.

“Aniyo, I am the one who dragged you here, I am the guy so I should pay for that,” he insisted and gave his card on the counter.

Joo In heaved a sigh and followed Suho as they left the shop. They proceeded on the round bench at their condominium’s yard. Suho watched as Joo In silently eats her ice cream.

“I probably look ugly now since  I eat like this,” she said looking at Suho.

“Aniyo, actually I find it interesting. Have you had this habit before?” he asked.

“I usually consume a liter, or when the situation calls for it, I go for a gallon when I am upset or stressed out.”

“So for today, you are either upset or stressed out?”

“I am both upset because of the endless projects and stressed out in rushing them for the deadlines.” She scooped a spoonful and pouted after eating it.

“Is that why you don’t find some time to get to know your husband?”

“I usually get speechless whenever I am left alone with him. I don’t know how to start a conversation with him.”

“Luhan hyung is actually a nice guy. He is the type that can jive in any situation and get along to almost everyone. You will never get bored or feel awkward when you are with him. Just give in some time and everything will flow,” he said handing her the other bottle of milk.

“I’m sorry but I don’t drink milk. My stomach gets upset whenever I drink one,” she smiled at him.

“One thing more that he always complains about, you don’t smile at him,” he said as Joo In looks down at her ice cream.

 

For a while they stayed there until she finished her ice cream.

“Do you really want to get married with Luhan?” Suho asked breaking the silence.

“It’s actually my parent’s wish. I can’t refuse since this had been the very first thing they asked from me. All the while they had been supporting me on whatever I wish to do, but they never forget to remind me of my limitations,” she replied.

“Setting that aside, given that they asked you, would you agree?”

“I don’t know.”

“He’s not bad at all. Although I’m complaining or even bossy sometimes, he would give in to my whims. Aside from he is good looking, I think he is a really lovable one. I might agree on getting married with him,” she added.

“You should tell your husband things like that. That will be your door for him.”

“But that would look like I am complimenting him,” she objects. Suho nodded, smiling at her.

“Although it has been a while since we got married, I am still uncomfortable with him around. I feel safer if you guys are with us.”

“Why is that?”

“I hope you understand if I keep it for now.”

Suho looked at her, “One thing more, you barely smile at us. Usually you do it one by one on us.”

She gave a half smile, “I probably need time to adapt more on being with all of you,” she stood and picked up her garbage. “I’ll go up. Luhan oppa might look for me. He already had this habit to check on me every time he wakes up. Thank you for the ice cream,” she handed him the lollipop before going on her way.

 

*-*-*-*-*

“Hyung aren’t you going to buy anything for Joo In-na?” Sehun called over Luhan as the boys went out for shopping.

All of the sudden everyone came and dumped something in Luhan’s cart.

“What’s this?” he asked. “For Joo In-na.” They replied in chorus and proceeds on going to get their own stuff.

He stood next to Suho on the counter. “You got a load in there,” Suho noticed Luhan’s cart.

“Mostly are for Joo In,” he sighed looking at his cart.

“Take out that carton of milk, her stomach gets upset whenever she gets to drink one,” Suho pointed at the large carton of milk.

“How did you know?” Luhan asked, confusion written all over his face as he removes the milk.

“She told me one night when we went out for a late night walk. Don’t get it wrong,” he raised his two hands as if surrendering as Luhan eyed him.

“Here, include this in your cart. That’s paid already, including this bag of lollipop,” Suho handed him a gallon of vanilla flavored ice cream and a bag of lollipop.

“For her too?’ he asked.

“Aniyo, both of you share the ice cream but the lollipop is hers. Have time to get to know your wife,” he smiled and picked up his plastic bag.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

“I’m home,” Luhan called over when he got to their unit.

Joo In peeped over the living room, “We still have some groceries, why did you bother to buy more?”

“I’m not used on seeing the cupboards half empty,” he smiled and went to the counter to put down the paper bags.

He pulled out the ice cream, grabbed a pair of spoon and brought along the bag of lollipop to join her in the living room.

“What are you watching?” he asked placing down the ice cream.

“You bought ice cream?” she asked instead, her eyes glowed at the sight of the ice cream.

“Suho bought it for us,” he replied.

She grabbed the spoon and reached over but Luhan pulled it away.

“Waeyo?” she pouted.

“Let’s play a little game. I’ll ask you things about myself and try to guess it, same with you too. One correct answer equals two scoop of ice cream, one wrong equal’s one scoop,” he smiled at her.

“Fine! Bring it on,” she smiled.

“I’ll go first, what’s my complete birth date?” he asked.

“Uhm… April… 12, 1992?” she gave a nervous laugh.

“Aniyo! One scoop for you,” he scooped half of the spoon and fed her.

“How about me? What’s my complete birth date?” she challenged him.

“October 5, 1994,” he smiled.

She pouted and fed him two spoonful of ice cream.

 

The game went on until they finished the gallon. Luhan ate most of it since he happened to know more about her. Although he is the only one laughing, Joo In would occasionally smile at him out of amusement. “You’re beautiful if you would smile always,” he said leaning on the couch.

“I don’t smile to cheaters like you,” she made a face.

“Cheater? Me? Since when?” he asked feigning a hurt look.

“You made up the rule so you can have most of the ice cream.”

“But it’s actually nice to get to know each other, huh?” he looked at her.

She is still pouting at him.

He pulled himself up and pinched both her cheeks, “How can I refuse such cute face?” he said, “I’ll buy one for you, wait here,” he added and stood up.

When he got near the door, he looked back to see her touching her face, blushing at the same time.

‘I guess I have to thank Suho for the ice cream,’ he thought before going out to buy her ice cream.