Chapter XVI

With Her

“Hey! What if we lock up Joo In and Lay in a room?” Kai suggested one time as they are lounging at their practice room. They had just finished practicing and Lay has to go back to their room for forgetting his phone.

“Lock them up?” Luhan exclaimed giving Kai that suspicious look.

“I am not suggesting anything, I am just curious on how will they communicate since both are having hard time learning Korean,” Kai defended, hiding behind Kyungsoo.

“So you are setting them up just for fun?” Luhan looked at Kai again.

“It’s not a bad idea, I’m quite curious too on how it will turn out,” Chen mused.

“Let’s go grab some drinks, Lay might not be back for a while,” Tao invited them as they all stood up.

Little did they know, Kai texted Joo In to proceed to their practice room telling her that her husband wants to talk to her.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

‘Just what is he going to tell me that I even had to go to that practice room? Can’t he just call me or text me or even wait for me at home?’ Joo In thought as she looks for their practice room.

“Here it is,” she turned the knob.

(O_O) “Empty?” she whispered.

*look left* … *look right*

“Is Kai joking?” she stepped inside.

“Joo In-na, what are you doing here?” Lay looked at her.

She saw Lay lying down the couch on the far left.

“Kai oppa texted me that my husband wants to talk to me in here,” she replied taking a seat on the separate single couch.

“Really? Might as well wait for them in here, they probably went downstairs to grab some drinks.”

“Why are not with them?” She asked taking off her bag and coat.

“I left my phone at the dorm so I had to go back and get it.” –Lay

 She gave a nod and just sat there.

 

There was an awkward silence that stretched as both waited for the boys to return.

“Are you bored?” Lay asked pulling himself up from the couch.

“Sort of,” she sighed.

“Wanna dance with me?” Lay offered smiling at her. “I mean I will teach you, not to dance with you like ballroom or anything,” he immediately added.

“Ok, might as well stretch some muscles,” she stood and followed him in front of the mirrors.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

“I wonder what are those two are doing right now.” Baekhyun looked at the boys.

“What do you mean two?” Luhan asked.

“Kai texted your wife to meet you at the practice room and Lay had probably returned from the dorm. What do you think the two might do?” Baekhyun gave a sly smile.

Luhan glared at him and even at Kai who just gave a nervous laugh.

“What’s up with you guys? You’re always making fun of my wife,” Luhan looked at all of them.

Everyone looked down and avoided his eyes. He sighed and started to move back to their practice room as the others followed him.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

“You are not actually bad. You are a fast learner,” Lay clapped his hand after Joo In finished dancing the chorus part of their hit song History.

“Really?” she smiled at him.

“Woah, that’s the first I saw you smile for real too,” he smiled at her.

“I guess I am just grateful that you didn’t hesitate to teach me,” she replied.

“Shall we dance together?” he offered again.

“Sure!” Lay the music again.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

They could hear the music that blare their song History from afar.

“Just what is Lay doing?” Kris started to move ahead of them.

When he peeped inside, he motioned the others to stop.

“What?” Luhan asked trying to look over the door.

Just then, they heard Joo In and Lay laughing.

“Woah! What was that?” Chanyeol exclaimed and looked over the parted door as the other crowded over. Kris kept the door at bay so as not to disturb the two dancing.

“Hyung, I never knew Joo In can dance that well,” Kai remarked as they watch Joo In dance to the song.

 

All of the sudden Lay slipped from the floor and ended on his making Joo In laugh.

She is still laughing when she sat beside him down the floor.

(^_^) “That was hilarious! How did you end up slipping?” she looked at him.

“I don’t know. The floor just suddenly got slippery,” Lay chuckled before taking a deep sigh.

“You should probably be more open to your husband. I mean, you guys had been married but you are not communicating like one,” Lay turned serious.

“I know. I find it quite hard to just be myself. I’m afraid of how will things turn out if I open up myself,” she replied wiping sweats from her forehead.

“But isn’t it that marriage should be, like sharing your thoughts and feelings with each other?” he handed her a bottle of water.

“I think so. I guess we are too young to understand things like that,” she sighed again.

“Luhan hyung might get hurt if you continue closing up yourself. Both of you might not be able to last long if you keep that attitude,” he looked at her.

“Are you lecturing me?” she chuckled.

“Maybe I am. I am just worried for the two of you,” he smiled.

“Thank you, really. Let’s dance again?” she smiled at him

 

Meanwhile, at the door, the boys looked at each other.

“What did they just talk about?” Kris asked.

“We should be the one asking that. You are the one closest to the door.” –Suho

“Hyung, what’s with the long face?” Chen asked Luhan who stood at the back, leaning on the door.

“Isn’t it quite hard to accept the fact that other people can make your wife laugh than you?” he asked.

“Ae, hyung, don’t be such a drama king. Make a move; it’s never too late for you to see her smile,” Kyungsoo smiled at him.

“Yeah, why don’t you go inside and talk to her for real?” Tao suggested.

Luhan looked at all of them, “Are you sure?” he asked.

Everyone nodded, assuring him.

He took a deep breath as Kris gave way for him on the door.

“Joo In-na,” he called her as he goes inside casting one look at the boys on the door.

“Oppa,” Joo In stopped dancing and looked at him.

“I’m sorry I am late, have you been waiting long?” he asked.

“Aniyo, Lay helped me not to get bored. What’s that you’re going to tell me?”

“That one? Never mind, it’s nothing important. Have you had your lunch?” he asked instead.

“Yes, I had it with my friends,” she replied.

“Luhan-ge, where are the others?” Lay asked.

“They are still out for a break,” he replied.

“I’ll go down with them, see you Joo In at the unit,” he waved and left the couple.

There was an awkward silence.

Luhan looked at Joo In, ‘Why won’t she smile when she is with me?’ he thought.

“I guess we had to go home already? It’s already five in the afternoon,” she looked at her watch.

“But we won’t be home until seven.”

Then they stood there in an awkward silence. Luhan chuckled, “Shall we sit down?”

Joo In smiled with her head bowed down, thinking Luhan haven’t seen it and followed him on the couch.

“Why won’t you lift your head when you smile?” he asked smiling at her.

She blushed again, avoiding his gaze.

Another awkward silence stretched between the two of them.

Joo In suddenly stood up and faced the mirrors, “Let’s take a picture,” she offered looking at him through the mirror.

He chuckled and stood beside her. “On my count, one, two, three.”

Before she could click the button, he turned and kissed her on the cheeks.

*click* *flash*

“Let me see it,” he pulled her phone from her hands.

Joo In stood motionless, blushing and blinking with those long intervals as she slowly reached to touch her cheeks.

 

As Luhan scrolls on her phone, the other guys finally went inside.

“Hyung! What’s that?” Kyungsoo asked walking over to him.

Everyone followed and looked at her phone.

“That’s so sweet of you! I didn’t know you guys are so romantic,” Kai comments looking at Joo In.

“Joo In-na, are you okay?” Sehun tapped her shoulder.

“Eh? I’m- I’m fine,” she replied moving to get to her bag.

The guys looked at Luhan with that playful grin on their faces.

“She’s cute,” Luhan smiled looking at her picture on her phone.

Everyone shared that knowing smile again.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

 

It’s late already, but Joo In is still up watching some late night movie. There was a knock on the door.

“Oppa,” she greeted Lay upon opening the door. “Aren’t you with the other?” she added.

“No I am not. Chen and Tao are already asleep and the others might be home later. Can I stay here for a while?” he asked.

“Sure! Come inside,” she opened the door for him.

Lay proceeded to the living room. Joo In on the other hand proceeds to the kitchen to make some late night snack for them. When she came back, Lay is glued on the screen already.

“You like movies like this? Scary ones?” he asked pointing to the screen.

“Are you not comfortable? Change the channel,” she laid down the tray with cookies and a mug of chocolate and milk.

He then settled on a sci-fi movie.

“So, you’re up waiting for Luhan-ge?” he asked.

“Yeah, he forgot again his key,” she smiled.

“Why won’t you smile at him? The only times I knew you smile was with Kris-ge and me, why not on him?” he curiously asked. “Ah, Suho hyung too,” he added.

“I’m not just used to it. And I had this… never mind,” she shook her head.

“It’s okay if you won’t open up, I understand,” he assured grabbing a cookie.

 

Later, Joo In fell asleep leaning on the couch. Lay turned off the TV when the movie is over. He lifted the tray back to the kitchen. He then took off his jacket and covered her just in time for the doorbell to ring.

“What are you doing here?” Luhan was surprised when Lay opened up the door.

“I watched some movies with Joo In-na, Chen and Tao left off without me,” he smiled.

Luhan looked at him suspiciously.

“I am not joking hyung. I’ll go ahead,” he left Luhan by the door.

Luhan sighed upon seeing Joo In sleeping by the couch.

“You’re getting comfortable with them but not on me. Am I that different?” he whispered sitting beside her.

He watched her sleeping figure, tracing her features. He then noticed a notebook on the couch.

He flipped the cover and some more pages. A smile crept up on his face when he saw the last one. It was his sketch probably during their dinner together. The angle was side view, and a neat signature is written at the right end. He looked at his sleeping wife before lifting her to her bedroom.

The signature that made him smile was a neat ‘For my husband Luhan.’