Chapter XXX A

With Her

It’s been days since the celebration of their 100th day.

They welcomed the New Year all together as the boys made a simple party during the 31st of December. They watched the fireworks display just at the rooftop of their condominium building.

But no matter how happy the celebration is, Joo In kept on worrying about the current situation. She can’t figure out any means to tell Luhan about her scholarship, the pictures and how to continuously keep her secret of being pregnant.

It’s the first day of the year; Drew went over to stay for the morning before attending to another meeting as what he said.

“What are you sulking about?” he asked as he watches his cousin fiddle over her bracelet.

“I don’t know how to tell Luhan about my scholarship,” she whispered.

Just then her phone rang, it was her professor.

“Yes professor?” she answered.

“I would just inform you about your departure. It will be the day after tomorrow. There are also changes in the scholarship plan. The first year will be spent on China and the other year will be in Europe. I’ll discuss the details on the way when we leave. Prepare your passport and your things okay? And happy New Year,” her professor greeted.

“Thank you professor, happy New Year too,” she greeted back.

She sighed after receiving the call. “What’s that?” Drew asked turning on the TV.

“I will leave the day after tomorrow,” she replied.

“That soon? You must be kidding! You haven’t informed yet his parents and even him,” he exclaimed.

“I know, that’s what I am worried about,” she replied.

Then they heard a phone ringing.

“Who owns that?” Drew asked.

“That’s my husband’s phone. I think he forgot it again.”

“He left it?” Drew asked again.

“Yeah, isn’t it obvious?”

“He left it?” Drew asked for the second time.

“I said-” she looked at Drew who gave him that knowing look.

“You thinking what I am thinking?” he wiggled his eyebrow.

She immediately ran to get his phone, but the call has ended. When she returned, Drew is already practicing his lines.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Well, practically practicing my lines since I will act as your husband while talking to your in-laws,” he replied then adjusted his voice and pronouncing some Chinese phrases.

“When did you learn Chinese?” she asked, wondering how her cousin learned the language.

“Business,” he simple replied.

 

After practicing his lines, Joo In looked at Luhan’s phone, finding it hard to call his parent’s.

“Come on! This is you only chance,” Drew coaxed, “I’ll take care of your side,” he added.

Reluctant, she dialed his parent’s number. There was the ringing sound until her mother picked it up. She turned the loudspeaker on as Drew received the call.

 

(Conversation in Chinese)

Drew: Hello Mom?

Luhan’s mother: Yes Luhan, why did you call?

Drew: I just want to tell you about Joo In’s scholarship there in China. Although she might not be able to stay over at our place since she will rent a small cottage near the university.

Luhan’s mother: Is that so? We’ll she has just to inform us about her address so we can visit he at her place, how long will she be studying here?

Drew: A year only. Might as well don’t buy her tickets for our promotions and concerts there so as not to distract her studies.

Luhan’s mother: Sure! But the two of you will be in touch right?

Drew: Of course, we will always be in touch.

Luhan’s mother: Is that all you have to say?

Drew: Yes, please send my regards to Dad. Always take care of yourself Mom.

Luhan’s mother: Yes, and please take care of yourself too, especially Joo In. Too bad the two of you had to spend the Christmas and the New Year away from us. Nevertheless, Happy New Year.

Drew: Same here Mom.

(End of Conversation)

 

“Woah! I thought she would recognize my voice. Your husband’s voice is way more mellow and sweet than mine. But thank God that it’s all settled now,” Drew sighed handing over the phone.

“I’m scared. What if they learn that I lied,” she asked.

“Then why didn’t you stop me? Why don’t you just tell Luhan that you are pregnant?” Drew asked.

“That would complicate things affecting his career as well. I can’t just do that. And I had received this strange parcel a few days before our 100th day.”

“Strange parcel? What does it contain?” Drew asked.

“I’ll go and get it,” she stood and went to her room to get the parcel.

 

After seeing the pictures and the letter, Drew looked at Joo In.

“Did you see the guy who gave you these?” he pointed to the pictures.

“Aniyo, he just handed it to me then he left. I can’t even see his face since he covers it with a scarf and black shades,” she replied.

“I think I already know who is behind this, but I still have to make sure about it. The best thing you have to do is to leave as soon as possible. Considering these, there’s the big possibility that the person behind this will ruin not just Luhan’s career but the whole Exo and even you,” Drew looked at Joo In.

The look from her cousin scared her.

“I’ll just help you pack up the things you will need for the trip. I’ll just get your other stuffs later when we had found a small cottage for you in there. Don’t worry, I will stay with you,” Drew assured her, holding her hand.

“Thank you,” she smiled.

“You’re my only sister so why wouldn’t I be helping you?” he smiled.

 

After almost an hour and a half, they finished packing her belongings.

“Are you sure everything is in here?” Drew asked as she finally zipped her luggage.

“Yeah, and make sure that when you gather my other stuff bring along these two panda bears,” she patted the two bear atop a single chair

“I only bought you one, how come you have two already?” Drew asked.

“Luhan bought the other one when they had their promotions in China.”

“I wonder how you would survive being without your husband. I mean you are pregnant and it will be hard going through it without having the one you love beside you.”

Joo In just sighed as she hid her suitcase on her wardrobe.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“We will attend an early fan signing today. Everyone must be ready so that we can finish earlier,” their manager announced as everyone boards in the bus.

As they started their long ride, Joo In kept on bugging Luhan about his phone.

“Please?” she pouted, “I haven’t touched your phone since we got married,” she added.

“What would you want to see from it?” he asked.

“I just want to check on something, isn’t it bad for your wife to touch your phone?” Joo In looked at him.

“It’s not like that but,” Luhan bit his lower lip.

“But what?”

“Oh come on hyung! Let her borrow it. She had been whining since we left, just give it to her,” Lay spoke from behind them.

Luhan sighed and handed her his phone. Joo In eagerly reached for it and started checking it. When she came across the photo albums, one titled as ‘my beautiful black pearl’ caught her attention.

She tapped it and gasped upon seeing all her pictures. All were stolen but they are perfectly shot. There were probably more than a hundred of her solo pictures, there were also from their weddings and during their mock photo shoot. Included in the album also is their picture at the practice room when Luhan kissed her.

All the while she is scrolling the pictures, a smile never left her lips.

“Is this the reason why you would not let me hold your phone?” she asked still looking at the pictures.

“Yeah, that was supposed to be compiled in a photo book but since you had seen them, I’d rather not make the book,” Luhan sighed again.

“Huh? But why?” she asked again.

“It’s no fun already,” he replied.

 

Just then, she heard the driver play the boys hit song ‘Growl.’ The others started singing along, even her husband so she joined them. They sang all throughout till it ended.

Chanyeol suddenly stood up, “Let’s have a singing marathon! Everyone has to participate! You can choose either solo or duet only, isn’t that fun?” he proposed.

Everyone agreed. They soon picked their partners. Chanyeol picked Joo In as his partner since Luhan had chosen Xiumin.

 

The singing marathon started from Chen and Kyungsoo who sang their hit song ‘Baby Don’t Cry.’

It was followed by the others, who were either singing or doing a rap presentation. The last was Chanyeol and Joo In.

“Actually we had sang this song before, but since Baekhyun had finished, I’ll be the one taking the male parts,” Chanyeol positioned his guitar and started strumming. It was Jason Mraz song featuring Colbie Caillat ‘Lucky.’

 

(Chanyeol) Do you hear me? I’m talking to you,

Across the water, across the deep blue ocean

Under the open sky, oh my,

Baby I’m trying

(Joo In) Boy, I hear you in my dreams

I feel you whisper across the sea

I’ll keep you with me in my heart

You make it easier when life gets hard

(Both) Lucky I’m in love with my bestfriend

 Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again,

Oh…

 

All the while Joo In and Chanyeol had been singing, she never breaks any eye contact with Chanyeol making the guy smile. Luhan had nothing to do but just watch. Their voice blending sounded perfect as they exchanged smiles. They moved with the rhythm same with the boys who started humming the tune.

When they are done, the boys clapped their hands.

“Your voice improved a lot from last time,” Baekhyun smiled at Joo In while clapping.

“Yeah, it really improved. I never thought that our voices will blend that perfectly,” Chanyeol added.

“Why don’t you audition? You might get picked,” Suho suggested.

“I’d rather stick with my studies. I just wish to be the best photographer, that’s all.” Joo In replied.

“Why don’t you sing us another song?” Tao requested.

Chanyeol looked at Joo In, “Are you familiar with the song Perhaps Love?” he asked.

“The OST of the series Princess Hours? Yeah, I am,” she replied.

“Shall we sing it?” he asked. She smiled and nodded.

Chanyeol started strumming his guitar again for their acoustic version of the song.

 

As Joo In started singing, this time she looked at her husband while singing. The others noticed her gesture and teased Luhan. After singing, they received another round of applause.

“Here we are!” their manager stopped. Everyone prepares to get down, but Joo In insisted to remain.

“Are you sure you will be fine?” Luhan asked her.

“Yeah, I will be fine. Just enjoy the event okay?” She reached to give her husband a kiss. He gave her a hug in return as he joined the others.

 

While she is inside the bus, she kept on looking at her phone to check any message from Drew. Tomorrow will be her flight; sadly it has to be by 5 am early so she has to make sure that she can make a clean escape. The boys had decided to spend their night on their unit so she needs to be extra careful. Just then she received a message from her cousin.

 

From: Drew

            I had fixed your passport and plane ticket. We’ll just meet at the airport tomorrow.

 

A tear spilled from her eyes upon reading the message. ‘I guess this is really goodbye,’ she thought. She opened her bag and took out a video camera. She had already planned to leave him a video message, she just has to make sure she brought the video camera so she can sneak it into Luhan’s bag.

 

It took them almost three hours before they finished. Joo In just played on her phone while waiting for them. When the boys boards one by one, her mood brightened up.

“How was the fan meeting?” she asked Luhan who sat beside her.

“It’s tiring, but fun. You should have disguised yourself as a fan, which would be more fun.”

Joo In smiled, “You will be attending another fan signing today so I will attend just as you want.”

He smiled and reached to hug his wife and to kiss her, but she stopped him from the kiss part.

“Why?” he asked pouting.

“Next time maybe? Saranghae oppa,” she said and kissed him.

Luhan smiled at her gesture, “Being naughty huh?”

He cupped her face and gave her one lingering kiss.

“Hey! You might get jailed for being PDA!” Kyungsoo shouted from the front.

“Come on D.O, don’t be such a kill joy,” Tao exclaimed.

The couple laughed as the others sighed at Tao and Kyungsoo.

 

Their second destination is on a mall for the second fan event. Joo In decided to get down just as the event started. She grabbed a copy of their album and the magazine where the boys had their recent photo shoot. She joined the queue of fans eager to have their favorite’s signature. When it was her turn, Chanyeol who sat first in line looked up at her, but she motioned him to ignore her. He nodded his head and signed her album and the cycle goes on. After signing, she stood in the middle of the aisle among the seated fans and faced them. The other onlookers stopped and even anticipated what she will do. She smiled and formed a heart over her head and yelled, “Saranghae Luha oppa!” then she ran away leaving the cheering crowd.

 

“Hyung, is there something wrong with Joo In-na?” Sehun asked whispering as they are busy signing the albums from the fans.

“Aniyo,” he smiled.

“Seriously, both of you are weird today. You are not like that before,” Sehun added shaking his head.

“Maybe because we will never be apart?” Luhan smiled as he signs another album.

Sehun sighed and looked at Kai at his other side, “Is this the effect of being married?” he whispered.

“Waeyo?” Kai asked looking at him.

Sehun pointed at Luhan but Kai just shrugged it off saying, “That’s the effect of being married.”

 

Joo In fled on the upper floor where there are other Exo fans looking down at the event happening below. She convinced all of them about her plan and discussed it to them. The eager girls agreed when they recognized her as the one who yelled her feelings down the aisle.

 

The boys are already giving their signatures on the last batch of lucky fans when they heard another confession from their fans on the upper floor. The boys including the onlookers looked up when they heard a whistle.

A group of girls led by Joo In yelled twice, “WE ARE ONE! SARANGHAE EXO!” then they all waved their hands.

The boys had their mouth open as they watched the ladies led by Joo In waved down at them with all the screaming. Luhan was the only one smiling up sweetly at the only lady he recognizes on the group. Joo In is grinning widely at her husband and yelled again, “SARANGHAE LUHAN OPPA.”

Fortunately, their microphones had been distributed so Luhan picked his up and replied, “Ne, saranghamnida,” and smiled up at the girls. They all screamed at his reply.

 

After the event, on their way back to their unit, everyone is teasing Joo In at the bus because of her openness during the event.

“I never thought you would dare to do that,” Tao smiled at her.

“Yeah, an open confession. That’s so cool!” Chen gave her a high five.

“I wish someone will do the same for me,” Kai sighed.

“You want someone to do that for you?” Joo In asked.

Kai nodded.

Joo In stood up in front and formed a heart above her head, “Saranghae Kai oppa,” she smiled.

Kai did the same, “Ne, saranghamnida Joo In-na,” he replied.

“That’s unfair! We should receive the same treatment!” Baekhyun pouted.

Joo In smiled, “Ah, I remember!” she reached for her purse and took out an envelope.

“Since we are still in here, stuck in the traffic, I just might read this letter. I am suppose to read this for all of you during our 100th day celebration but things got quite off hand that night,” she looked at Luhan who blushed.

“For us? You wrote a letter for us?” Suho asked.

“Yeah, just like what you did during your guesting at Ryeowook oppa’s radio show,” she replied.

 She stood in front, near the driver and held on to the post to steady herself. She unfolded the letter and took a deep sigh before starting.

“To my adorable and lovable wolves,” she looked at them.

“It’s been months since we first met and I can’t imagine I will reach this far under your care. For that, thank you. For the sake of being fair, I’ll just mention all of you individually as possible. Let me start with Suho oppa,” she smiled at Suho.

“Oppa, thank you for the ice cream. It became my door to get to know my husband well. You cared for me just like how a big brother cares for her little sister. I hope you find the girl who deserves a kindhearted, handsome guy like you. Saranghamnida Suho oppa.”

“Kris gege,” she then looked at Kris, “Thank you for being a father like to me and my husband. Your surpassed your role as being a leader. You are more like the father figure for the group. I wish that you will also meet the girl who can return the same or more of the affection you have for the people you care about. Saranghamnida Kris gege.”

“Lay oppa,” she then looked at Lay, “Oppa, thank you for being there. You may not be that open and expressive as the others yet you never fail to show how you care for me. You may not say, but I know you are always there when you sense that I need company but you  might be just afraid of communication barrier. Don’t worry oppa, I will study Chinese for you, “ she smiled at Lay who smiled back. “I hope you find the girl who will move you to speak out your thoughts. Saranghamnida Lay oppa.”

“Xiumin oppa,” she pouted over Xiumin’s direction, “Thank you for everything! During that moment you found me, I was ready to break down to pieces for real but you rescued me. You built me up again to face the problems fate is giving me. You provided me the support of a brother. You are really indeed the oldest but also the cutest among them,” she laughed as the others teased Xiumin. “I hope you find the girl who will also serve as your pillar to help you stand and face everything even though everything seems out of hand already. Saranghamnida Xiumin oppa.”

“For Baekhyun oppa and Chanyeol oppa,” she grinned at the two, “Thank you for the joy and the smile you shared with me. Both of you knows how to turn the curve upside down. I really practiced a lot to improve my vocal voice so that when we sing together again, I won’t sound off tune just like our first singing session.” She laughed together with the two as they remembered it. “I hope both of you find the girl who will also make your sad days into a brighter happy one. Saranghamnida Baekhyun oppa. Saranghamnida Chanyeol oppa.”

She flipped the first page, “For Chenchen oppa,” she smiled at Chen, “Thank you for everything especially the globes. I know they always bully you as the ‘dancing machine’ but don’t worry, for me, you are one of the best,” she looked at Chen.

“One of the best? Not the best?” he asked feigning a hurt look.

“Arasseo!” Joo In chuckled, “You are the best for me. Apart from that, I admire your voice and your attitude towards the others bully about you. You don’t take it by heart rather just let it pass like some kind of joke friends always tell. You’re probably immune to it huh? I salute you for that, because I usually take comments on me by heart. I hope you find the girl who will care for you and love you just as how a humble and kindhearted funny chatterbox like you. Please don’t take it the wrong way, saranghamnida Chenchen oppa.”

“Donut oppa,” she chuckled looking at Kyungsoo who smiled back at her, “I really thought that you are cold just from the way you often stare but now I know that it is one of your asset why most girls dream of you,” she wiggled her eyebrow at him. “I really like the foods you cook. You care like a mother and I find it cute though. I just hope that Luhan oppa will learn how to cook like you. Perhaps you can teach him,” Kyungsoo nodded his head at her. “I hope you find the girl who will see through you because a loving and sweet guy like you deserves the best. Saranghamnida Kyungsoo oppa.”

“To the best dancer of Exo, Kai oppa.” She looked at the grinning Kai, “Although you are older than me by months, still I need to treat you as my big brother. Thank you for helping me at my dance practice. If I am not married to Luhan oppa, I might wish to end up as your wife instead. Your moves really make a girl’s heart melt. Aside from that, you know how to act just how the situation calls. You know when is it time for jokes and when thing are serious and I admire you for that. I hope you find the girl who will melt your heart just like how you make every girl’s heart melt. Saranghamnida Kai oppa.”

“To my Sehunnie baby,” she pinched Sehun who is sitting in front of her. “Thank you for everything. You are older but I prefer to be the one older. You are such a baby for me. I can’t afford to let someone as cute as you to be older than me. Although I whine and complain or act childish you don’t get tired of me and even join me in my tantrums at Luhan oppa. You cared for me when Luhan oppa was gone and didn’t even complain when I disturb you in the middle of the night for bubble tea. Mianhe for that,” she pouted at Sehun who smiled at her.

“Ne noona Joo In,” Sehun replied.

“I hope you find the girl who will make you realize that you are the guy and that the girl should be the baby in the relationship, arasseo? Above all, saranghamnida Sehunnie oppa,” then she folded the paper.

“But how about Luhan hyung?” Sehun asked when Joo In finished her letter.

The others joined the commotion as well, she just smiled at them. “I’ll just leave it as a surprise,” she replied waving another paper at them.

“Huh? That’s unfair! You read your messages to us. We must also hear your message to Luhan hyung,” Chen exclaimed.

Tao, Kai Baekhyun and Chanyeol joined the protest also.

“Arasseo!” Joo In finally gave in. Their bus finally moved after long wait on the traffic.

She took a deep breath hiding her face behind the paper.

“To my husband,” she started, “Thank you, for everything. Given the chance right now, let me enumerate the things I am thankful for. Firstly, for the love you unselfishly gave to me,” she heard the boys tease Luhan, “Secondly, for the time you shared with me, thirdly, the trust and lastly the care. I know I often get moody especially during our first days together. I hope you understand that I am adjusting that time. I whine, complain, cry, talk endlessly, laugh at almost anything, tease you, and act like a brat, but you never showed any sign of annoyance or hate towards me, for that thank you. What I want to experience with you in the near future is how to really work hand in hand, filling each other’s shortcomings, reaching out and working our best to fulfill each other’s desire and dreams. But that may not happen because not everyone can predict the future.” She stopped and wiped a tear from her face.

Sehun stood up, “Are you okay? You should have told us that it’s going to be emotional,” he handed her a tissue. Luhan made his way to her, “You can continue that at home,” he held her hand.

“Aniyo, I’ll just finish it. We are still way far from home so better make the best of it,” she replied.

She gave the two an assuring smile as they returned to their seat.

“Ok, where am I? Oh, yeah,” she took a deep breath, “Perhaps in the near future, we will think of working on our own. We might get separated by other circumstances that we might never see each other for long, but don’t worry. Always bear in mind what we had vowed that I am you and you are me and that we are one in this journey.  What I will do is what I think is the best for you. You might get tired of hearing this but I can’t bear to be the reason for you not to reach your dream. You worked hard for it so I am willing to sacrifice my own to give way for yours. Mine can wait, right? If one day you opened your eyes and I am gone, don’t worry, don’t be afraid, and please don’t hate me. If that day comes that I will be gone for real, I have reasons to do so. And I hope you understand it. With this long speech, it will all boil down to one phrase I will never get tired of telling you. Naneun dangshineul saranghamnida oppa,” then she folded the letter. Everyone was silent and she was shocked to see Luhan standing in front of her.

“Why are you all so silent?” she asked them.

“Joo In-na, are you going somewhere? You sound like you are bidding goodbye,” Lay asked.

“It must have been because of my message to Luhan oppa that you thought I am leaving. Aniyo, I am not,” she replied.

“You got a long message for him, how about you Luhan; do you have any message for her?” Xiumin asked.

“I am not actually prepared for this event. If she had just informed me then I should have prepared one for her. Mianhe Joo In-na,” he rubbed the back of his head.

“It’s okay,” she smiled at him, “I actually don’t expect you to make one since you are so busy and all. Just being with me is already enough.”

Luhan reached to hug her as the others groaned, “Both of you acts weird today. You must be hiding something from us. Did you have a fight a few days ago?” Kris asked.

“You can count on us if you just need help or anything,” Suho agreed.

“We really didn’t have a fight. I am just being an emotional one to come up with this letter,” she replied as she leans on Luhan. The bus suddenly stopped, “Were here!” the driver called them.

They finally arrived at their unit.

“That was a long ride,” Tao commented as they got off one by one.

“Guys, would you want to stay with us for the night? I’ll cook something special for dinner,” Joo In looked at them as they are heading to the elevator.

The boys agreed and cheered at the invitation.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Earlier that evening, Joo in got busy preparing for dinner.

“Would you need a hand?” Luhan asked leaning by the kitchen’s doorway.

Joo In smiled, “I would love to. Kindly slice those cucumbers,” she pointed over the cucumbers.

Luhan walked inside and grabbed another apron and started slicing up the cucumbers.

Then he diced the onions and helped in frying the crab meat Joo In will use for the kimbap.

In a matter of moments, the aroma of the food flourished inside the kitchen as the couple busied themselves in preparing the other dishes.

“I love your kimbap,” Luhan comments picking up one.

“Yah! That’s not supposed to be eaten yet,” Joo In slapped his hand off the food.

“Ouch! Where’s the speech you had a while ago?” Luhan pouted.

Joo In rolled her eyes and continued on working for the desserts.

 

After about more than two hours, they had already finished cooking and setting up the table. They decided to use the center table since it can accommodate all of them although they had to squat on the floor.

“You can call them already; I’ll just go and wash up for a bit. I already smell like meat,” Joo In removed her apron.

“Arasseo,” Luhan replied and went out to call the boys.

 

When Joo In went out of her room after freshening up a bit, the boys are already seated, waiting for her.

“You should have started,” Joo In looked at them sitting in between Sehun and Luhan.

“Aniyo, it’s rude to start without the beautiful wife of Luhan hyung,” Kai remarked.

“No need to flatter me in all that words, let’s pray first?” she smiled at them.

Kris led the prayer before they started the meal.

“Woah! I never thought you could actually cook this delicious. I might gain some weight if I tend to eat things like this every day!” Chanyeol exclaimed having his fill of the foods.

“Joo In-na, can you teach Kyungsoo how to cook foods like this? They are superb! Is there some occasion?” Sehun asked.

“I guess I poured out much love while cooking,” Joo In chuckled.

 

They had a hearty meal followed by sweets for dessert. As they are having the desserts, they watched movies as what Tao proposed.

“I’ll do the dishes,” Joo In volunteered. “Aniyo! The two of us will do the dishes,” Luhan looked at her.

“The two of you really acts weird today. Why suddenly get affectionate?” Suho asked.

“Why don’t you get your own wife so you can experience things like this?” Kris replied.

 

While the boys are watching, they get distracted by the couple enjoying themselves while doing the dishes.

“Oppa! You should wipe them dry, not just play on them.” They heard Joo in complain over her husband.

“How about a kiss per plate?” Luhan asked.

“There are probably more than a dozen of plates in here,” Joo In replied.

“I’ll take it easy, a kiss per plate, a hug per glass and another set of kiss per bowl,” Luhan proposed.

“Aniyo! No kiss nor hug nor other set of kisses, just finish off those plates okay?” Joo In smiled.

 

“I should probably go and check them,” Kris stood up when the couple got silent at the kitchen. But then he retreats after seeing the two.

“I thought you would check them,” Xiumin asked.

“I think Luhan won on his proposition about the plates,” Kris replied instead.