Chapter XXVI

With Her

“Joo In, here are the things you asked me to buy, the groceries and of course your marshmallows. Why suddenly have the crave? You don’t like marshmallows before,” Drew handed her the change from the groceries.

“You don’t know how delicious they are,” she replied as she puts them on the counter to put away the groceries.

Drew reached for a drink on the refrigerator, “What’s with these bubble teas? Are you saving them?” he frowned.

“I get too last to go down and buy one so I bought 6,” she smiled getting into her marshmallows.

“I really don’t get you,” Drew sighed.

 

“Drew, are you free today?” Joo In asked after putting away the groceries on the cupboards.

“Yeah, why do you ask?” he looked at her.

“Can you accompany me? I want to meet someone,” she smiled sweetly at her cousin.

“Where’s your husband?”

“He is busy on their shows, please?” she pouted.

“Arasseo! When are we to leave?”

She smiled and reached for her purse, “Now.”

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Are you okay? Why are we in an OB-Gyne’s office?” Drew asked as Joo In enters the room.

“Oh, are you Miss Han Joo In?” a lady in white coat, probably a doctor asked when they got inside.

“Ne,” Joo In bowed her head.

“Have a sit. Is he your boyfriend?” the doctor asked referring to Drew.

“Aniyo, I am her cousin,” Drew replied.

“Have a sit please,” she smiled again as they took their seats, “I am Dr. Shin Ha Ni by the way.”

 

“So what’s the problem?” she looked at Joo In.

“I am worried about my period’s delay. It’s been more than three weeks delayed. I usually experience a week delay but this is the first time I had this,” Joo narrated.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” the doctor asked again.

She shook her head. “She’s married,” Drew replied instead.

“Oh, so when was the last time you did it with your husband?” the doctor asked again.

“I don’t know.” Joo In replied blushing at the question.

“It’s okay. Have you been experiencing some changes in your habits lately?”

“Yes.”

“Are you experiencing morning sickness like vomiting or getting dizzy and such?”

“Yes, I do experience that. Before, I am fine with long distance travel but now I get dizzy whenever I travel.”

Drew spoke, “She is also moody, frequent change of mood. She had also this craze over marshmallows and bubble tea which she doesn’t favor before.”

“Can I ask you to buy this at the pharmacy on the end of the hallway?” the doctor handed a small note to Drew.

He nodded and left the room. After a while, he came back and gave it to the doctor.

“Here, read the instructions properly on how to use it. You can use the restroom here,” the doctor helped Joo In to the comfort room.

 

It took her a while to realize that she is holding a pregnancy test kit.

She read the instructions and followed it properly. Then she waited for the lines to appear.

One red line appeared making her sigh in relief. She reached for the knob and was about to turn it when she checked again the kit. Her hand dropped after turning the knob, another line appeared.

“So what’s the result?” the doctor was waiting for her outside the door.

She went blank, like something out all of her energy.

The doctor reached for the kit, “Congratulations Miss Joo In! You’re pregnant!” and she even shook Joo In’s hand.

“What? She’s pregnant?” Drew stood up and grabbed the kit from the doctor.

“Why? Is there something wrong? You must be happy for that. She needs to inform her husband,” the doctor was confused at the sudden reaction from Drew.

 

Joo In was still standing by the door, looking so lost.

Drew helped her on her seat for the final briefing of her doctor.

“Well, being on the first trimester make sure she doesn’t stress herself. Those cravings are normal so make sure she gets them. She must have enough sleep with proper diet. Please don’t provoke her or such. Have her checked every month,” the doctor gave her a small logbook.

“But what if she left for China just as she plans, how can she continue her monthly check up?” Drew asked since Joo In is still lost on her thoughts.

“Then inform me when she will leave so I can endorse her on a colleague of mine there. I can also give you her contact address.”

“How about the morning sickness? How can we deal with it?”

“Well, it will be just on the first two months. Regarding her diet let her have more vegetables, less meat. Have her drink milk. Fruits are essential too so please take note of these and inform her husband about it okay?” the doctor smiled and reached for Joo In’s hand.

“Relax. That’s what most first mom’s experience, but all of that will disappear when you finally give birth and see and hold your first born” she squeezed Joo In’s hand that brought tears to the girl’s eyes.

Joo In hugged the doctor and started crying.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“I hope you are not the only one who cried in front of that doctor,” Drew sighed as he puts on his seatbelt.

“What will I do now? Should I tell him or not?” Joo In mumbled leaning by the window.

“Let’s talk about that when we get home, don’t forget your seatbelt,” Drew reminded her as he turns on the portable TV on his car. He then slowly the engine.

 

“Pictures of the Exo K member Kai and a mysterious girl dancing a couple dance leaked just recently. The entertainment has not released any statement yet. Just now, another set of pictures involving the same girl leaked but this time with Exo M member Luhan. The press is having a hard time trying to guess who is this mysterious girl and how did she became involved with the two popular member of Exo. Rumors have been circulating that the girl is not just attached to the two but almost all of the members. Although the source of these pictures is still a mystery, it keeps on sending those photos as if posing a threat to the rising group.”

 

“Woah! A gossip involving Kai and your husband? Look at the pictures, it must have been real,” Drew pointed out driving. Joo In looked at the screen and gasped.

“That’s me and Kai oppa! That was when he helped me practice for our early Halloween Dance party. Who managed to take a picture of us? That was probably around 3 in the morning,” Joo In looked at Drew but he just returned an ‘I don’t know’ look.

Then the screen flashed a picture of Luhan hugging her in the airport.

“How about that one?” Drew asked.

“That’s when I got lost among the fans on our way to China for our second wedding. Sehun helped me get away, but the manager made sure that we are perfectly safe and that the place he lead us to is fan-free, how did that picture came about?” Joo In wondered.

She sighed as more pictures of her involving the boys flashes on the screen.

“Seeing those, have you had your pre-decision?” Drew asked as they Joo In’s street.

“I won’t attend my class today, I feel tired,” Joo In sighed feeling so stressed.

 

While they are heading to Joo In’s unit, her phone rang.

“Hello?” she answered.

“Joo In, it’s me your adviser. I would like to congratulate you for qualifying the two years overseas scholarship you had been dreaming of. The coordinating school had sent me their letter about you, being accepted on the program,” her class adviser cheered on the other line.

She felt all her problems and stress fly away upon hearing the news, “Really?”

Then she jumped with joy startling Drew, “Relax Joo In, remember what the doctor said.”

“Drew! I’ve been granted for the scholarship!” she squealed hugging her cousin.

She parted and took her phone on her ears, “Hello professor?” she breathed.

“I can hear you celebrating there. Well, meet me this afternoon on my office so I can discuss the details and give you personally the letter they delivered for you,” her professor said.

“Yes, I will be there to meet you,” then she ended the call.

Drew had his arms crossed, “First, you’re pregnant. Second, pictures involving you and the boys had leaked. Third, you have been granted a scholarship abroad. What other more things will occur to complicate everything?” he asked.

Joo In was silent upon hearing those things from her cousin. Everything about what he just said made sense dropping all the glee she felt awhile ago.

“You really know how to burst the bubble,” she sighed, “I don’t feel like going to school anymore,” she added and got inside their unit.

 

Later that night, Joo In sulks at the balcony hugging the panda bear Luhan bought for her. Her mind whirls at all the things she had to do. Too occupied about all those matters that she didn’t notice her husband joining her.

“Joo In-na,” he reached for her hand startling her.

“Oh! You scared me!” Joo In sighed.

“Are you okay? You look so occupied. Is everything alright?” he asked reaching for her face.

“I should be the one asking that. Have you seen the news?” she asked.

“Don’t worry about that. Everything will turn out just fine. Those rumors will soon die.”

“But all those pictures happened for real. What if they found out about the marriage? What if they barged in here? What if-“ Luhan placed his forefinger on her lips to silence her.

“You got nothing to worry about. Everything will soon be alright okay? Calm down.”

Joo In blinked back tears, reached for her husband and hugged him tight.

“Mianhe oppa, mianhe,” she whispered not anymore holding those tears.

“Don’t be sorry, you’re not the one who’s at fault.”

“But if I had just decided to back out before, things like this will never happen.”

“Remember when you asked me if I want to marry you?” he parted to look at her, “If I answer yes, then you will abide to it, same if I say no. But did I refuse? Before I was hesitant but now that we got this far, I think this decision is something I should be grateful of,” he wiped the spilled tears in her eyes.

Something within her tells her to reveal about her pregnancy but she tried to suppress it knowing that the group had more things to attend to.

She just leaned to him, trying to calm her aching heart.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

PRESS CONFERENCE

 

The boys took their seat as the staff prepares their microphones. For the day, they are scheduled to do a press conference to put an end to all those issues that had involved them. Media men from other entertainment and press companies set themselves ready on their seats too, same with the cameramen and photographers.

“We will start in five minutes,” the floor director announced as everyone made their last touch ups.

 

The press interview soon commenced. Just as most usual conference, it started on the briefing about their most recent album and shows. Later, one reporter opened the issue about the leaked pictures.

“What can you say about those leaked pictures? Can I have the involved party?” –Reporter one

The boys gave Luhan and Kai a worried look. It was Kai who received the question.

“Actually, those pictures were a misunderstanding. That lady with me is actually one of our dance coordinators. We are actually practicing some new routines which we will be incurring to our upcoming album. But since it got leaked, I think we have to remove the concept. It’s no more fun already,” he chuckled.

“So there are no special relations or connection between you and that lady?” –Reporter two

“There is nothing going on between us. I respect all our coordinating noonas.” –Kai

“Can I have Luhan to answer the same question involving you and a girl in the airport?” –Reporter four

Luhan smiled, reaching for his microphone, “About that matter, that girl is actually a close relative of mine. She came back in here with my parents. Coincidentally, her flight back to China was the same with ours. But because fans came to see us off, she was squeezed among them. I was worried that something may happen to her that when she came after us, I gave her a brotherly hug,” he lied.

“She is a cousin of yours? But before you are not those close to your relatives, how come you suddenly changed to an affectionate one?” –Reporter three

“I was worried that she may get injured or such about the sudden commotion among the fans.” –Luhan

“But someone caught you holding hands with her while going down the bus.” –Reporter five

“Well, she is a relative so I must tend to her. I can’t let the other member hold hands with her because it might cause another issue,” he smiled.

 

The reporters tapped on their laptops, putting into words what they had heard from the boys.

“Are there any more questions so we can adjourn the conference?” the emcee asked.

One reporter raised his hand, “I have one more. Please look over the projector,” he instructed.

Everyone looked at the projector. A picture appeared causing murmurs and rapid flashes of cameras.

“I would like to ask Luhan about this wedding picture.”

The boys were startled but Luhan remained calm so as not to reveal any suspicious reaction from him.

“I would not deny the fact that the guy in the picture is me,” he started.

“So are you saying that you are really married?” the reporter asked causing loud murmurs among the other reporters.

“No, I am not married. I had seen thousands of pictures in the internet involving me and some fans. Others were wedding pictures like that, some are about me and a girl dating and the like. But I am not married. That picture is actually one of the posted one to create rumors about us,” he explained smiling.

“Accordingly, the date that picture was taken coincides with your first day in China for promotions. Usually you leave the day before any promotions, but for that matter, you left earlier than expected. You also said that your parents came here but returned afterwards, would that mean something?” the reporter then asked.

Luhan smiled, “My parents came in here to make a short visit to inform me about their plan for a second honeymoon. Since I am not in China to know it, they personally visited me to tell me the matter at hand and to check on me too. It’s been years actually since I get to see them.”

“If it is about a second honeymoon, why not just call you?” the reporter asked again.

“As what I have said, it’s been years since I had seen them,” he replied.

“So, that guy is you, but a reliable source said that the picture is real. He even stated that he was in that event,” the reporter grinned.

“I have a solo picture wearing the exact apparel, on the exact place and exact date,” Luhan answered.

A solo picture of Luhan wearing the same clothes appeared on the projector.

“That one picture is actually a sample for our magazine photo cover. We are actually offered to be models for groom’s attire apparel. I was the one who took the sample shoot, but since the designer made only a few set of dress, we decided to change the apparel,” Luhan smiled.

The reporter frowned, “Thank you,” he said.

 

The conference was adjourned as the boys lined up to get to their dressing room. Upon arriving, everyone was silent.

“Luhan, the president wants to talk to us. We’ll head right away at the Entertainment after this. And good job, you made that nosy reporter shut his mouth. I really hate his guts,” their manager frowned checking on the schedules.