Part five

Nice guys never win (Thunder and Mir Fanfic)

I rounded the corner breathing hard, but I couldn’t stop now I had to keep going.

“Sorry, sorry. I know I’m late.” I said catching my breath as I bent over.

“First dates are crucial, and you think a sorry is going to cut you some slack? How rude, buy me a diamond ring to make me feel better.”

“How about I buy you some popcorn?” I said standing up straight again and punching Mir’s arm.

“Come on man. You’re late the first time, she’ll think you’ll always be late to everything. Minus twenty points for you, and for not buying me a diamond, minus eighty more." He said pretending to flip his imaginary hair. 

“How do I look?” I said ignoring him and straightening my blue and green plaid shirt. The reason I was late was because I stood in front of a mirror for almost twenty minutes deciding if I should button my shirt, or leave it half open. I decided to button it up all the way, since I’m a “doctor” I should be more conservative.

“Lose the buttons, you look like your mom dressed you.” He said the three top buttons, leaving my white t-shirt showing a bit. “Next time, wear a wife beater under your shirt. Must I teach you everything?” He sighed straightening my shirt for me.“Did you put on cologne?” He asked smelling my shirt and then lifting up my arm.

“No.” I said pushing him away.

“Good, you smell more like a man that way.” He said backing up to look at my whole outfit. “ Oh my goodness, Thunder. You’re such a goody goody.”  He said running his hands through my hair and messing it up. “You even put gel in your hair and combed it over? What are you? Fifty? Come on, the new style is bed head. Now shake it.” I shook my head as he stood there observing me.

He gave me a thumbs up and pretended to wipe a tear. “Am I good now?” I said impatient with him.

“Wait.” He said getting closer with a smirk on his lips. “Let’s bring some rosiness to them cheeks.” He pinched my cheeks and laughed.

“Is it my turn to pinch his cheeks now?” I heard Jeon say. She was wearing a floral dress with a jean jacket, and her hair  was tied into a neat ponytail.

“J-jeon.” I said pushing Mir away. Mir chuckled and patted my shoulder before leaving me alone with Jeon.

tumblr_inline_mt745te6oV1qfdx1m.gif

She giggled as she took a step closer and put a hand on my cheek. “Chubby like a bunny.” She said taking my hand and leading me through the glass double doors and into the theater. I looked down at our hands intertwined as if it was a weird thing. I’ve imagined holding her hand for a long time, and now when I’m actually holding it, I feel like my hand is on fire and I want to let go.

“Comedy or Thriller?” She asked as we waited in line.

“Uh, how about comedy I don’t want you to have nightmares.”

“How sweet.” She said looking up at me. I loved that she was a good foot shorter than me, it made me feel like I could protect her from rain and get her jars from the highest shelf.

The environment around us became awkward as we fell silent. “Are you okay?” She suddenly asked.

“Hm! Yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

“Your fingers are stiff, kind of looks like I’m forcing you to hold my hand.” She said showing me our hands together.

“No, it’s just..” I stopped to think about how embarrassing it is to ask her to teach me how to hold hands.

“You don’t know how to?” She giggled softly and let go of my hand. “See the spaces between my fingers? You put yours there.” She said putting each finger into place. “And then you fold your fingers around my hand and eventually you’ll get the hang out it.” She said letting go of my hand and placing her hands into her pockets. I looked at them sadly. Did I not hold her hand correctly? I studied all the romantic movies I could find last night to prepare for this date. I think my hand holding technique is correct. Was my hand too sweaty? Ugh. I knew I should have practiced on Mir! 

“Two tickets for Mr.Beans please?” She said to the man in the booth. She looked over at me for a bit before sighing and reaching into her pocket to get out some cash. “Thank you.” She said to the man and then handing me a ticket. I followed her into the building as I watched her stuff her hands back into her pockets. She must have hated my hand holding, that's why she is hiding her hands from me.

“Where do you want to sit?” She asked me as we walked into the dark theater.

“How about in the back?” She looked at me with uncertainty then just started walking.

“You know..” She said looking back at me. “The back seats are where most couples make out.”

“Make what?” I said squinting into the darkness.

“Kiss? You know like French kissing?” She said.

“Oh.” I said as I felt my cheeks burn red. We took our seat along the wall next to another couple who had gotten a head start on their making out.  She settled into her seat crossing her legs and watching the previews. I awkwardly sat there looking at the other couples who were comfortable with each other, I felt pressured.

“It’s starting!” She said tapping my leg excitedly. I looked at her hands instead of the screen. Should I reach for her hand? Now or when the movie starts to the ?

"Do it! Just do it!" The voice in my mind said.

"Okay. Okay.. I will, don't yell." I whispered back to the voice. I tip toed my fingers across the seat and onto the arm rest sneaking up on her. One finger at a time, I did as she told me and nestled my fingers in hers. She smiled over at me and squeezed my hand in return. I felt my heart jolt at the squeeze and smile she gave me. I watched the characters comically dance around the screen as I felt my fingers relax.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Thanks for coming with me, I know you’re busy, oppa.” She said shyly. I looked down at our hands, still attached.

“It was worth it. I can take a little time out of my busy doctor life to be with you.” She giggled as we silently walked to her car.

“When will I see you again?”

“I’m not sure. I’m actually ..” I started to say but stopped when I notice her getting closer. Her hands reached for my face and her other hand reaching for my hair. OH GOD NOT THIS AGAIN. Don't stare at her, you'll look creepy. Uh um. Uh um. Where do I put my hands?

“Can I kiss you this time?” She said with her face an inch away from mine. I opened my mouth to speak but no words could come out.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” She smiled and backed me up onto the wall and pressed her lips softly against mine. I squeezed my eyes shut and counted the seconds that went by. Eight to be exact.

“Call me.” She said giving me another peck before heading towards her car. I rested my head against the wall and sighed. I imagined that my face had that expression of a person who had just seen a ghost. I stood there for a couple minutes frozen until I finally got the message, she kissed me.

“She kissed me!” I shouted down the dark street. “She kissed me!” I shouted again skipping down the street.