Part twenty two

Nice guys never win (Thunder and Mir Fanfic)

(Mir's view)

My car eased into a halt in front of a petrified Jeon. She stood by the ledge of the sidewalk looking down at the pavement. My headlights illuminated a light that casted around her body. I got out of my car with the engine still running. 

"Come on." I said softly with an edge to my voice as I draped my jacket around her bare shoulders. I helped her into the car and buckled the seat belt for her. We never did romantic things together, but it was weird that I consider buckling her belt romantic. We never held hands in public and we never kissed in public. She never let me open the door for her, she never let me buy her flowers, and she never let me hug her. She preferred it if we just made love and that was it. She wouldn't call because she missed me, she wouldn't call because she wanted to hear my voice, she called because all she wanted was someone to spend the night with. 

"Look, I'm sorry." I said struggling to say each syllable. I took a quick glance at her, taking my eyes off the road for two seconds. She sat there silently with her hands folded in her lap. Her lips looked purple, and my jacket looked baggy around her sagging shoulders. I turned up the heater and ed my shirt with one hand ,one button at a time until I reached the bottom one. I slid one hand out of my sleeve with my other hand still on the steering wheel. Even though the heater was on full blast I still felt the cold winter air creeping up my arms. I slid my other arm out and draped my shirt over her legs. I decided to leave her alone and just drop her off at her house. After all she is probably mad that I left her stranded in the middle of a playground ten miles away from her home, in the middle of the winter.

"Don't ever do that again." She said in a tone of voice that I have never heard from her before. I had to look at her to make sure it was her who was talking. She sounded as though she was scared, like a kid who lost her mother at the super market. 

"What'd you say?" I asked her as I tried to glance at her again. 

"Mir, don't leave me like that again." Now it sounded as though she was threatening me. I wanted to tell her that I promised that I would never leave her side again, as long as she wanted me to stay,but I know that wasn't what she was talking about. I know that isn't the answer that she wanted to hear. 

"Sure." I said trying to focus on the road ahead of me. " I think we need to talk about our feelings, Jeon. Do you really-" 

"Don't mention those words to me. Mir, I made it clear. I don't want to be in a relationship, what we have isn't a relationship. If you can't handle me then I think you need to find another girl that you can handle." Her words were sharp like needles stabbing against my balloon heart. I felt the air leaking out of my heart as I parked the car in her parking spot and turning to look at her. My heart loved the view of her beautiful face, but my heart hated the hideous mask she was wearing.

She silently got up and opened the car door letting some heat escape as the cold air intruded into my car. She tossed my jacket and shirt onto the passenger seat and slammed the door, and walking up the stairs leading to her apartment. I sighed to myself, turning on my phone and clicking onto my photos. I flick through the photos we took on the rare day she decided to act like a real couple. She had her hair in a cute pink bow headband and my big over-sized sweater. She held my phone an arms length away, as she sat in my lap and posed cutely.

"Put it as your lock screen. So you can look at it when you miss me." She said cutely kissing the tip of my nose. I smiled widely and set the picture as my lock screen. It was my screen saver until she decided it was weird and demanded for me to take it off. I snapped pictures of her make up less face as she cursed at me and set it as my new screensaver.

I touched the power button and switched gears and put the car into reverse. "Message, message." My phone notified me as I parked onto the side of the road to check the message.

"I'm lonely." - Jeon

I sighed and made a u-turn returning to her parking spot. I locked my car door and walked up to her apartment. I stuck my hand in my pocket taking out my phone and keys, I searched for the right key as my phone vibrated again. "Message,message."

"Don't tell me she changed her mind again."  I mumbled taking out my phone and checking it.

"Practice room?" -Cheondoong.