Part twenty

Nice guys never win (Thunder and Mir Fanfic)
(Cheondoong's view)

I sat by the window with my favorite cup of steaming mocha coffee, as I stared blankly at the wooden table in front of me. I had my black traveling backpack on the chair beside me and inside was Cheondoong. I packed the blond wig I borrowed from a coordinator noona and my casual clothes. I looked at my reflection one more time in the screen of my phone. My sunglasses were so big they kept falling down the bridge of my nose and my blue hoodie was zipped all the way up to my neck, and to top it off I wore a face mask and a big  white knit scarf around my neck. 

My legs were rapidly shaking under the table as I waited for Tessa to arrive. I had a plan all set and ready;  I will cancel on her, or Cheondoong will, and if she keeps insisting then I will have to bring Cheondoong here personally.

The bell on the door rang in this tiny secluded cafe. I looked over at Tessa through my tinted sunglasses as she searched for me. There was only about ten other people in the shop, not including the employees. I waved at her and watched her facial expression change from confused to recognition.

"Thunder oppa?" She asked carefully as she reached the table. I gave her a nod and motioned with my hand for her to take a seat."No one is going to notice you here,Thunder oppa. I feel uncomfortable for you, just looking at you." She said taking off her thick purple jacket and putting it on the back of her chair.  

"Where's ..uh, what's his name? Shunjoong?Dumbdoong?" I said crossing my arms across my chest and leaning against the back of the chair.

"Cheondoong." She emphasized. "Look, Cheondoong and I aren't really close friends,we hung out a few times when he was going through his break up." She  leaned toward me, placing her hands on the table. "Please be convincing, I want to see his reaction." 

"Oh, you'll get a reaction." I mumbled to myself thinking about when my name left her lips. She had admitted that she liked me in front of me without knowing. The thing was I did not feel the same about her at all. She is pretty and all , but I have no time for distractions, my one and only goal was Jeon. When she said my name I stared at her for almost ten minutes, before it processed through my mind that I just promised her that I would make myself jealous. I could literally face palm myself again thinking about it.

"I'll call him." Tessa said reaching around to take out her phone from her jacket pocket.

"Mmkay." I said  taking a shaky sip of my mocha. I raised the porcelain tea cup to my mouth with my right hand  that was refusing to stay steady.

"Ah!" I shouted as I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. The ringtone was causing our nearby cafe neighbors to frown and look our way. I wipe the splash of coffee I had spilled after being startled and  checked my phone."Tessa" The screen read. Why am I so dumb?! I said mentally beating myself up.

"Aren't you going to answer?" Tessa said to me while balancing her phone in between her ear and shoulder. I smiled awkwardly and shook my head at her.

"No way, you're more important than this call." I said silencing my phone and discreetly shoving my phone into a pocket of my backpack.

"Hm, he didn't answer. Is he not coming?" She said mumbling to herself as she redialed my number. I silently thank god for the creation of the mute button."Oppa, you said that you'd come meet me , remember? You better come here or I will go to your house and drag you here." She said hanging up after leaving a voice mail and slightly slamming her phone onto the table. She put both elbows onto the table and sighed, pouting. I started panicking, she cannot go to my house or this whole plan will blow up in my face. No choice, I gotta bring out Cheondoong.

I winced as I heard my phone tell me I had a voice mail repeatedly. I gave her an apologetic smile. "I'll take this phone call, and head to the bathroom." I said taking the phone out of my backpack and running toward the bathroom.

"Ah!" I sighed and returned to the table. "I forgot." I said taking my backpack with me and running toward the bathroom again. I got into the biggest stall, ped my backpack and hung it on the hook on the bathroom stall door. I slipped off my sunglasses , scarf, face mask ,and shirt off. I stuffed it all into the first compartment of my backpack and opened the second one taking out my blond wig and a casual shirt. 

I threw on my shirt and headed over to the sink and mirror. I placed the blond wig over my own black hair and took out a comb from the front pocket of my backpack.I raked the comb through the coarse and tangled wig and stuffed it back in my backpack. I balanced my phone between my shoulder and ear, answering my phone.

image

 

“Oppa?” Tessa said in the phone.

“Sorry, I’ll be there in a bit. You know how busy doctors are.” I said laughing at my own lame lie.

“Okay, hurry!” She said hanging up. Thank goodness she wasn’t the type of girl to nag and whine.

At top speed I slipped my arms through the backpack straps and headed out the door. I snuck around to the front entrance by ducking behind tables. Luckily I studied the layout of this café before I came so I knew where to sit her so she couldn’t see me sneaking from the bathroom. I’ll pat myself on the back later, right now I must focus on my mission.

image

“Cheondoong!” She said with a surprised expression on her face when I patted her on the shoulder from behind.

“When did you come in?” She said moving her purse so I could sit beside her.

“Oh you know, a couple seconds ago. Through the door, of course.” I said.

“You came in like that?” She said touching my bare arm. I was wearing only a short-sleeve t-shirt in the middle of the winter.. of course,dumb moment.

“Yeah, new fashion trend.” I said unconsciously touching my hair. Her eyes followed my hand up to hair.

“Oppa, you dyed you’re hair back to blond! See, you look better with this color.” She said smiling as she raised her hand to touch my hair. I dodged her hand and smiled awkwardly at her. She ignores my obvious attempt to dodge her touch and mumbles to herself, “Where is he?” She turned around in her seat and looked toward the bathroom.

“Is there someone joining us?” I asked.

“Yeah, a friend of mine, but he has been in the bathroom for a long time.” She said frowning.  I smiled to myself, heheh, she wants to make me jealous. I took this opportunity and went to change into Thunder.

“I’ll see if he is in there.” I said getting up and leaving before she could say a word. I walked into the bathroom and there was a line of two men waiting for the stall. Guys don’t use stalls unless they have to do their business. I sighed and tapped my feet as a stall becomes available. The first guy in line walks into the smaller stall and locks the door. I stand impatiently jogging in one place, bouncing from one foot onto the other, acting as though I’m about to burst in my pants. The man before me glances at me a couple times before asking, “Are you okay?” He says it as though he was weirded out by my dance. I placed my hand against the cream colored tiled walls dramatically as if I was in so much pain.

“Do you mind if I use the bathroom first?” I said delivering the line effectively.

“Sure.” He said raising his eyebrow at me. Acting classes are working, I could totally be a good actor.

We stood together in silence as the shameful echoes of someone’s plop of crap hit against the toilet bowl. I stifle my immature laugh and tried to put on my poker face as the person in the big stall came out. I thanked the man in front of me for letting me go first as I entered the stall. I winced in disgust at the smell left by the other man. I quickly grabbed wads of tissue paper and stuffed it up my nose. I smirked to myself thinking I was so smart, when I got a whiff of the man’s business again. The smell was so strong it leaked through the tissue.

“Really? 2-ply toilet paper?” I said out loud.

“I know right?” The man in the other stall replied. I looked over at the wall where his voice was coming from and just looked at it weirdly.

I took off my wig and put on my sunglasses, face mask and scarf. I zipped up my backpack and headed toward the mirror only glancing for a few seconds before leaving the bathroom.

“Whew, the line was so big in there.” I said taking a seat across from her and nonchalantly taking a sip of my now cold mocha coffee. “He isn’t here yet? This guy is horrible, I don’t approve. Let’s just leave.” I said rushing her.

“Oh, no he is here, he just went to the bathroom to see if you were there.” She said looking back at the bathroom entrance.

“Really? Let me go and see if I can find him.” I said getting up to go back to the bathroom. She giggled and placed a light hand on my arm.

“Just sit down, he will come back eventually.” She motioned for me to sit down, I  eyed the bathroom.

She picked up her phone from the table and tapped on the screen multiple times. My leg shook underneath the table as I looked at the bathroom door again.

“You do know I already know you’re Cheondoong and Thunder.”

“Who? What.. pshh. I think you need to get your eyes checked.” I said not looking at her.

“It was fun watching you run back and forth, but I’m offended that you think I’m that dumb. You’re still wearing Cheondoong’s shirt and how coincidental is it that you and Cheondoong have the same backpack and shoes.” She said smiling at me as she continued to look at her phone. I’m dead, I can’t deny it , she caught me.

“Actually, I’ve known for a while. Since that night that I took you home from the club. You kept mumbling that you were THE Thunder oppa. MBLAQ’s thunder oppa.” She chuckled and leaned back on her chair. I sighed slapping my forehead. My eyes popped open when I reassessed her words.

“You brought me home from the club that night? I thought Jeon did.” I sighed disappointed that Jeon didn’t really care about me enough to take me home. “ Why did you lie? Why did you say that she did.” I said furrowing my eyebrows.

She looked down at her lap then looked back at me with her eyes on full force. “I never said that, I let you think what you wanted to. I did it for the same reason you didn’t tell Jeon about who you really are.”

I flinched as she broke down my walls, “So you know I’m not a doctor.” She nodded and scoffed at the word.

“You don’t have a crush on me?This was all a set up?” I said leaning in towards her. She smiled and said, “Of course.”

“Whew, I thought you really did.” I said laughing it off. She smiled and went back to looking on her phone.

I sighed sitting back on my seat and taking off my face mask and scarf. “You know. I'm really disappointed. I kept fighting for her even though she blew up like that last time in the waiting room. I kept thinking about that one night at the club when she spoke to me and took me home. I kept thinking that she still loved me that's why she did that. Turns out it was you all along. I was hoping she still cared, even if it was just a little piece of her heart, it would have been enough for me to keep going. I don’t even know why I’m still trying to get her back. I’m angry at Mir for taking her, but I’m happy he is taking good care of her. I know that cause he has been with her for almost three months now. That guy never settles down.” I felt empty sitting across from Tessa, I missed talking to Mir. I missed playing video games together and our late night snacking. Since we started fighting, he moved to another house. Now it’s too eerie and silent in my house. I looked down at the words carved into the light wooden table. “Love” I traced my fingers over the embedded words.

“You love her don’t you? I know how you feel. You’ll do anything for her to be happy, even if it means she will be happy without you. Right?”

“Exactly.” I said sadly looking at her.

“It’s painful, but it is worth it to see them happy.”

“Yeah.”

“Will getting her back really make you happy, Cheondoong?” She asked staring deep into my eyes. I look back into her clear brown eyes and I could feel myself become calmer. I never notice that she had such beautiful eyes that were framed by her cute bangs.

“Yes.” I answered.

“What if she isn’t what makes you happy?”

“Then I’ll finally be able to let go.” I said 

“Good, then I’ll help you. I know how to break Jeon down. I’m her best friend after all.”