Chapter09: Sour Tapes of Lies

Cotton Candy Cafe, A Chocolate Love Series(HIATUS)

Sour Tapes of Lies

~Yuri~

8:00 AM

Through the huge glass windows of the guest room, the sun shined brightly outside, the ray passed through the blinds and it tickled the long lashes of Kwon Yuri. Yuri suddenly fluttered her eyes open. “Oh…gosh…” She groaned and covered her eyes from the brightness. She looked around and she suddenly noticed that she wasn’t at home and she was somewhere else. Her half-awake eyes became surprised and now she was fully awake. “Omo…Where am I…” The first thing she looked at was her clothes and she was thankful that it was the way it was yesterday.

She sat right up and saw her purse by the lampshade table. She took it and opened it. Her things were still there, her wallet, a small bottle of Issey Miyaki Floral, her Dior Addict lipgloss, and her phone. She grabbed her phone she flipped the cover of her S4. “Oh my gosh… I’m so dead with my girls… I forgot to call them! And… Seohyun! Oh gosh! I bet she’s been worrying crazy… and oh no… oh no…” Her phone was battery dead. “Gosh!” Yuri quickly got up and went to the comfort room.

The moment she got in, there was a mug by the faucet. Inside were a toothbrush, toothpaste, and necessary toiletries of a girl. A sticky note was sticking in the mug saying “Good Morning!” then there was a smiley face. Yuri quickly cleaned herself and went out of the room after.

She gently closed the door behind and in front of her was a white sophisticated stair case. The color of the house was warm, everything was white, glass, a mixed color of brown, and it was peaceful and harmonious. She went down carefully, barefooted. The wooden tiled stair case was cold and it makes Yuri want to jump. Just as she reached the bottom, there was the living room and the kitchen.

“Oh, you’re awake.”

Yuri turned her head. “Oh… So it’s you.”

Heechul smiled, he was cooking by the kitchen. Then he noticed something. “Oh, I’m sorry. I’ll go get you slippers.” He went to the shoe cabinet by the entrance door of his house and gave Yuri a pair of white cotton slippers. Just like those in hotels.

“Kahmsameeda…” Yuri said as she slipped on the slippers. “Uhm...You have a nice house…” Yuri commented. She was staring at the huge glass wall by the living room and outside you could see the quiet neighbor houses, the trees, and it looked like a house inside a village.

“Yeah…but I just live alone.” Heechul laughed. “Sad right?”

“Oh… We live in a dorm of a small apartment, and we even share rooms.” Yuri laughed.

“Adorable.” Heechul commented. “I could imagine you guys. But at least you guys are happy.”

“Why? Hmm… Aren’t you thinking of settling down?” Yuri asked.

“Well… there’s no one to settle down with…” Heechul said as he cooked the egg over the pan.

Yuri laughed. “Goodness… There are a lot of girls out there, a bachelor man like you, I’m sure there’s one you like. Girls are crazy over you.”

“Well… one is not…” Heechul revealed.

“Aiyo… You haven’t moved on with Jessica?”

Heechul just laughed. It was true. He couldn’t move on. “I’ve moved on.”

“But… you can’t let go?” Yuri went over to the counter, sat by the high bubble chair and watched Heechul cook. “Why don’t you give yourself another chance? Go and explore. Date.” She said as she rests her chin above her crossed fingers.

Heechul took out a couple of bowl in a drawer under the counter where the table utensils and ornaments are located. “Breakfast is done.” Heechul poured out the beef bibimbap rice to the couple of bowl and he took another plate and placed the stir fry seafood vegetables.

“Wow… I didn’t know you cook?”

“Yeah… I love cooking. It’s my hobby.”

Yuri smiled and nodded. She finds it charming though.

“Eat up.” Heechul said as he settled himself beside Yuri, and they happily ate breakfast as they chat and laugh together.

“Hey, do you have a job lately?” Heechul asked.

“Yes, I work in a café I own. Well, not totally me, it’s a shared owner along with my other members. It’s the Cotton Candy Cafe?”

“Oh yes, I know that café.” Heechul said. “It’s all over the internet; you’re famous for your sweets and pastries. So how’s the income then?”

“It’s okay. The income is big but since we are nine, it is divided to us and it becomes smaller so the nine of us just shares in everything in order to have a not so rocking life. Some of us work two jobs like Taeyeon, Tiffany, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and Sunny. But since I’m in college, I only have the café, and two of our members are in High School.”

“Hm…What if I give you a proposal? You see…The cosmetic line called Christian Dior is looking for fresh faces, maybe you could model?”

“BOYA?? Me?? Model for Dior?? I know I love that line but I don’t think I could do it…”

“Oh come on, think about it. This is a new opportunity for you, bring along some of your friends, I have a feeling they’d get you.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah. Later I’ll give you my calling card.”

“Wow… Where do you work anyway?”

“Me? I’m a talent producer at SM entertainment.”

Yuri suddenly choked. “Bo?? All this time I didn’t know you were a talent agent?? So you know Sunny??”

Heechul nodded. “Yes, she’s a studio designer at another entertainment company.”

“Omo… What a small world. I didn’t know that.”

“Well… it’s a small world right?” Heechul laughed.

“Ahraso… I think I’ll accept your offer…” Yuri said.

“Jinjja??”

“Jinjjayo.” Yuri assured. “At least I could help my friends.”

“You can bring some of your friends if you want to. They are in need of many new faces.”

“Oh… okay okay.”

 

11:00 A.M.

*knock knock*

“Come in….” Yuri just finished taking a bath and she was wearing the same outfit. (Of course what else will she be wearing, but at least she’d leave quite clean than not being clean at all.)

The door opened and Heechul stood by the door with his car keys in his hand. “You ready?”

Yuri nodded. “Thank you for everything. Swear. It’s so embarrassing to disturb you.”

“Don’t think of it as a burden. It’s my pleasure as a friend.”

“Thank you for taking care of me. I wouldn’t know what to do if something had happened to me, if ever I was left alone last night.”

“Uhm… I was actually planning to bring you to your home last night but you told me you live in faraway land in a tower, in the highest room of the tallest tower.” Heechul laughed again.

“Jinjja???” Yuri asked. “Ahh…chongmal… Repunzel is my favorite fairy tale story…that’s why.”

“Last night you were actually asking for Yoona.”

“Well…” Yuri smiled. She didn’t know what else to say.

“Aigo, next time don’t drink past your limits. I thought you’re a hard drinker. Well, you are actually, you drunk almost a dozen of butter shots…but good thing you did not vomit…”

Yuri laughed. “Aigoo… Miahne… I feel embarrassed… Jinjja…” Yuri said as she covered her face. “So that’s it? Did I leave anything?”

“Double check.”

Yuri looked over the room again. “Oh thank for this by the way.” Yuri said as she showed Heechul the toiletry pouch.

“No big deal…” Heechul flashed a smile.

“Ahh… jinjja… Let’s go.”

 

The instant Heechul and Yuri was about to get out of the house, someone suddenly came in she was a woman in her forties with a basket in her arms. Her eyes deep protruding eyes widened the moment she saw Yuri. She looked at Heechul with a look of you need some explanation to do.

“Omma!” Heechul smiled. “It’s good to see you! Oh, Yuri. She’s my mom, she comes here every Sunday.”

“Ahnyonghaseo.” Yuri greeted as she bowed her head for respect.

“Omma, this is Yuri. She’s auh… friend of mine since high school.” Heechul said.

“Chinggoo?” The mom said her tone was slightly disappointed. She was beautiful, her hair was fixed in an up do, she was wearing a light fresh make up, and her clothes were not outdated. “I thought she’s your girlfriend.” She rolled her eyes and sighed. Then she stared at Yuri with a sweet smile. “Have you guys eaten breakfast?”

“Yeh.” Yuri answered politely. “Heechul actually made breakfast. I didn’t know he could cook.” Yuri smiled.

“Well… I learned from the best and original.” Heechul said. He was referring to his mother.

His mom just smiled. “You can come anytime you want, Yuri.”

Yuri smiled and nodded her head. She began to feel nervous. “Thank you, Mrs-“

“Oh don’t be formal with me, just call me auntie or Aunt Sylvia. I’d be happy to hear that. So run along now to wherever you are going to.” Heechul’s mom said. “I’ll just be here.”

“Okay, I’ll be right back as soon as I can, then we shall go somewhere later, okay?” Heechul said. “Chill down for a while, I’ll be back. I’m just going to drive her home.”

Heechul’s mom smiled and hugged them both goodbye.

Yuri felt different meeting Heechul’s mom because her parents are actually abroad, she doesn’t often see them and only meet them during holidays, and meeting Heechul’s mom reminded her again of how it feels like to have a mom who’s beside you, who would hug you and flash a smile to you. She felt a slight pang in her chest and now she misses her mom. She honestly won’t want to leave but she has to.

 

12:00 noon

“You know, your mom is so kind.” Yuri commented. They were on their way to Yuri’s apartment.

Heechul chuckled. “Yes, she’s a sweet one. You know, the way she saw you earlier, my mom actually likes you.”

“Jinjja?” Yuri said. “I like her too… she reminds me of my mom…”

“Really??”

“My parents are abroad so I don’t meet them much. You’re lucky your mom is here with you. Cherish every day with her.”

Heechul nodded. “Yes. I actually do. I simply won’t know what to do without her. Uhm… You can visit her every Sundays if you want to.”

“Okay, what’s her favorite?”

“Omma loves apple cinnamon pie.”

“Wow… I love that too! Hmm… I think I know what to bake now.” Yuri laughed.

“Oh my gosh…There’s my apartment.” Yuri said as she points towards a white simple apartment. Heechul pulled off his car and finally stopped in front of it. “I feel nervous I bet the girls will kill me…”

“Uhm…I bet they’ll understand…”

“What should I say to them??”

“The truth? You’re not going to lie are you?” Heechul said. “Oh come on Kwon Yuri… If you lie, you will just make it worst.”

“Okay…”

“Breathe, then explain clearly, and they will understand.”

“Ahraso…” Yuri said as she took off the seatbelt. “Thank you so much. I promise I will make it up to you. This isn’t the last time we’ll ever meet right?”

“Uhm… If you’re not going to discuss about the job I offered you.”

Yuri laughed again. “I’ll just call you okay?”

Heechul nodded.

“Ahnyong!” Yuri said. She hopped out of the car. “Bye!” She said again as she waved goodbye and watched Heechul drive away.

 

~SunYeonFanSeoYul’s Apartment~

~SNSD~

12:00 AM.

Swollen red eyes, quiet room, anxious feelings, it’s what the SunYeonFanySeoYul’s apartment is currently composed of. It was the first time it happened because usually the unit was noisy, full of laughter, and very messy.

Everyone was present inside the apartment. Yoona sat quietly by the couch with a pillow in her arms. Hyoyeon sat beside her and she was deeply staring at the white wall of the apartment.

“Do you think we should call the cops? It’s already twelve and she’s nowhere to be found.” Taeyeon said. All of them were dialing and dialing but again Yuri’s phone couldn’t be reached.

Yoona wanted to cry but her eyes were swollen and red. She couldn’t squeeze out any more tears.

“I shouldn’t have let her go…” Seohyun said. She was blaming herself throughout the time, ever since last night.

Tiffany turned her head towards the maknae. “Ya…stop it now. Stop blaming yourself. It’s not your fault okay??”

Seohyun pouted she wanted to cry.

Sunny sighed. She also don't know what to do.

“Baby, it’s not your fault, okay?” Sooyoung said. She was eating a Chocolate Popsicle to keep herself cool, calm and to help her forget about the feeling of anxiousness.

Suddenly the door clicked. Everyone jumped and their eyes were glued to the door.

Yuri came in with her eyes shut. She knew she was in big trouble. “Hi….” She said in a small squeak.

“YAAAA!!!!!!!” Taeyeon said angrily. She was like an angry mom on the loose. “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!”

Yuri was shocked with the sudden reaction of her friends. She noticed their eyes were red, swollen, and as if they had a hard time sleeping last night. “Uhm…” She didn’t know what to say.

“WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU EVER SINCE LAST NIGHT! NO CALLS! NO NOTHING! YOU LEFT EVERYONE WORRIED!!” Taeyeon shouted. Her friends weren’t reacting but it was the right thing. They have no mom to scold her so Taeyeon is the right person to do it since she’s the eldest among the nine of them. Everyone was just looking at her. Jessica had the iciest look in her face while Sooyoung snobbishly pursed her lips.

“WELL?? AREN’T YOU GOING TO SAY SOMETHING??”

“Unnie... Why don’t you just tell us what’s bothering you…” Yoona said.

“Ya, you made maknae worry all night…” Tiffany said. “Just so you know… Five minutes turned into…half a day? Jinjja Yuri…” She said calmly. She didn’t want to add up to the heavy atmosphere that Yuri is feeling.

Yuri didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know what to say. She can’t say she was with someone, especially Heechul because surely what will Jessica think, next she can’t say what just happened to Wooyoung and her, and last she can’t admit that Yoona is the reason of her rocking relationship with her boyfriend.

“Aiyo… guys, uhm…you see… last night I bumped into someone.” Well yes, it was true. That part was true.

“WHAT?!” Taeyeon wanted to faint. “What happened?? Did anything happened??”

“Ah-nee, I bumped into my cousin.”

“Your cousin?? Sulli??” Seohyun asked. "You're with Sulli??"

“Ye, then we went out drinking, and I went to sleep at her dorm.”

"How did you meet Sulli??" Sooyoung asked.

"I actually called her then she said she was at this place and so I went to bump her." Yuri lied.

“Jinjja??” Everyone asked.

“Yeh…it’s true…” Yuri said. She felt guilty for lying.

Yoona didn’t say a word. She knows something was off with Yuri’s story.

“Why didn’t you call?” Jessica blurted.

“My phone was dead and I was drunk last night. My aunt just dropped me here.” Yuri said confidently. She sure knows how to lie. Her friends were convinced except for one. Yoona.

She stood from the couch and sighed.

Everyone went quiet. “Ahraso… Quickly pack your things, we’ll be moving little of our things to the other house today.” Sunny said as she pats Yuri's back to comfort her and to make her feel light.

Yuri nodded like a girl being dismissed after being scolded by a mother.

"Hey! Don't you ever do that to us ever again. This is your last or I will cut down your credit card and money." Taeyeon omma warned.

"Miahne unnies...miahne..." Yuri said sincerely. "It won't happen again."

"Ahraso..." Taeyeon finally dismissed.

She went to her shared room with Tiffany and Seohyun. The moment she closed the door, she locked it, and she leaned her head against it. “I’m so sorry….” She whispered as she bit her lips. She opened her purse and threw all her stuff over her bed. She took her phone and began to charge it. Then she saw the toiletry pouch, she immediately grabbed it and before she hides it in her luggage for the move out, she again remembered the sticky note attached to the mug earlier. She actually kept the note, it was inside the pouch, and remembering the moments earlier made her smile unconsciously but then she sighed. Oh gosh… What’s happening to me… She placed the pouch inside her luggage and quickly went to her phone that was lying on the floor beside the lampshade table.

Open up… open up… Just as her phone opened, she started to dial a number…

*riiing…. Riiinnggg….*

Pick up… Pick up… she thought.

“Yabuseo??”

“OMO!!! Sulli! Sulli!!!”

“Oh?? Yuri unnie, what’s up??” Sulli said from the other line.

“Uhm… Are you home?”

“No, I’m waiting for Krystal… Why?”

“Oh, Could you do me a favor please?” She said as she walked to the bathroom so no one would hear her.

“Yeah sure? Anything not beyond my capacity.”

“Uhm… last night I wasn’t home, and the others were so worried about me. Then just this morning when I got here, I told them I was with you. So if ever you bumped into them or especially Seohyun, since you two are school mates, just tell her that I was with you. Please? Please??”

“Unnie! Why? Where were you last night??”

“I promise to tell it you and explain everything to you.”

“Unnie… you make me worry…”

“No, trust me. Nothing bad happened. I’ll fill you in some other time okay? You’re looking for a job right??”

“Yes.”

“Okay, we have a new job offer.” Yuri said excitingly.

“Really?! Okay. Okay. Deal. But you must tell me everything. Okay?”

“Ahraso. Thankyou!”

“Okay, Krystal’s here! Talk to you later!”

“Okay, don’t tell her alright??”

“I won’t, I promise! Bye!”

Yuri hanged up and sighed. Yuri felt a sudden relief like a thorn was pulled from her chest.

*Tok tok tok!*

“Yuri-ah??” Someone said over the door.

Yuri jumped and quickly went to get it. “Yeh?” She asked.

Yoona was the one who knocked. Her arms were folded and she had this angry stare. She went in and locked the door behind. “Ya… Talk to me! What really happened and where were you last night…”

“I told you already right?” Yuri said as she went to her drawer to pull her clothes out.

“I don’t believe it. You’re lying Yul… I know when you lie…”

Yuri shut her eyes as she crumpled her hands over her clothes. Omo… She may have escaped the others but not her baby Yoona. If there is someone who knows Yuri well, it’s Yoona who you should consult with. She knows her from her scent down to her hair strands.

“See?? You can’t even say anything. You can’t even turn around and look at me in the eyes. Seriously. What is going on?? Because I am tired and I don’t understand everything anymore…Why won’t you talk to me? Don’t you trust me anymore? Am I not your best friend?”

“Yoong… It’s not like that. It’s just everything is complicated…”

“Complicated?? Okay, if it is then let’s discuss it together. Just you and me. Leave the others aside.”

Yuri couldn’t. She just simply can’t tell Yoona right here and right now how she truly feels, because she was simply confused and it became worse just this morning.

“Uhm… How about this… I’ll tell you, but not here and not now…” She held Yoona’s hands.

Yoona just stared at her.

“Yoong?” Yuri said. She was staring at Yoona as well.

Suddenly Yoona hugged her tightly. “Yul… I may not know what’s going on… But I want my best friend back… I want you back…” She hugged her tightly like there was no tomorrow. “I was so scared last night, I thought I was losing you…”

Yuri felt guilty as she wrapped her arms around Yoona. “Ya… I won’t leave you… Why will I leave you?”

“I don’t know…”

“I won’t ever leave you, I promise…”

“Yul…”

“Hm??”

“I love you…”

I love you…

I love you…

I love you…

 

It was the three words that echoed in Yuri’s mind and it surely made her smile.

 

Sweet talks on Coffee