Chapter Seven

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/jaithep/coffee-prince-miss-you


         It was warm inside the cafe. The interior were decorated with beautiful paintings. There were very few people. Jenny went straight to the bar and ordered a cup of coffee. The old man behind the bar, seeing that Jenny was a little soaked from running in the rain, offered to get her a towel and suggested that she claim the seat on the corner by the window because it's the warmest spot in the whole cafe. On her way to her seat, Jenny took notice of every painting hanging on the wall. They were all beautiful and lovingly painted. Just as she reached her seat, the old man had already placed the coffee by her table and was handing her a towel and a plain white shirt. "Here you go young lady. Dry yourself up and change your shirt. The restroom is over there," pointed the old man. "Oh, your coffee's going to get cold. I know, I'm just going to get this and brew you another one," said the old man cheerfully. Jenny returned his smile and went to the restroom to change. 

           When Jenny came out, the old man immediately set her coffee down the table. "Thank you for this Mr.?" curiously asked Jenny. "Mr. Kim," he replied. "Mr. Kim...," Jenny stretched out her hand, "My name's Jenny," offering a handshake. Mr. Kim shook her hand and gestured for her to sit down, "Pleased to meet you. But, do take your sit dear. Your coffee's starting to get cold." With this, he left her to attend to a customer who just arrived. Jenny looked out her window and saw that the rain was still pouring hard. She hasn't had any plans of staying for hours in a cafe today but, she was left with no choice. However, she was hoping and praying that the rain would subside after an hour so that she could continue her search of the man in the gray hoodie. Just as she was about to drink her coffee, something caught her eye. It was a painting which, she was sure, wasn't there earlier... a painting of a black rose. 


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/noha-moheb/korean-drama-winter-sonata-1


           Jenny quickly walked towards the painting which hung by the wall beside the entrance to a small room, which was probably the staff quarters. She absorbed every detail of it- the , the gradation of colors, the image itself. And she gasped as she realized that it was just like the black rose in her dream, even more surprising was the familiarity of every and manner of how the color gradation was done, where one color ends and where the other color would start. "Mr. Kim!" called out Jenny. "Mr. Kim! I need to ask you something," said Jenny nervously. Mr. Kim gently set down the cup he was holding and calmly walked towards where Jenny was. "What is it dear?" he asked. Jenny turned to him, "Was this painting here before?"

            "It was delivered today, right after you came."

            "Right after I came? I didn't see anyone come in after me."

            "He came in after I gave you your new coffee. Didn't you see him by the bar?"

            "He? A guy brought this here?" anxiously asked Jenny, disregarding the old man's question.

           "A middle aged man brought this earlier. He's actually a new face around here. He told me he arrived in Korea last January and had been selling me paintings twice a week since then."

           Jenny was disappointed to know that a middle aged man had brought the painting. All along she thought he was back here in Korea. "Was he the one who painted this?" she asked. "Hmmm... haven't asked him that question. Don't you worry. I'll ask him the next time he comes here," answered Mr. Kim. "When does he usually come?" curiously asked Jenny. "He has no permanent schedule dear. He just pops in once in a while," answered Mr. Kim who now has a questioning look on his face. Just then, Jenny's phone rang. It was an unknown number. "Excuse me for a while Mr. Kim. I have a phone call," she was about to answer the call when she remembered, "Oh, and in case anyone gets interested with this painting, tell them it's already reserved." She then went to a corner to answer the call.

             "Hello."

             "Jenny, it's Dae Sung. Got your number from Minzy. Where are you?"

             "I'm here at a cafe in Hongdae. The rain suddenly poured and this is the nearest place I could take shelter in."

             "I just, um, came back from work and was about to invite you guys to eat out when they said you were already... out. Anyways, I just called to ask you if you want to eat out with me... I mean, us."

             Jenny wasn't sure if she wants to. She had lost all appetite knowing that there might be a possibility that he'd been hiding here in Korea after all. "Hello? Jenny? Um... just text me if you've decided, okay? We'll pick you up there 'cause it's still raining cats and dogs outside," concern forming in Dae Sung's voice. "Okay. I'll just text you guys. Thanks," ended Jenny. She then went back to the bar to continue her conversation with Mr. Kim. "Are you going to buy this painting dear?" asked Mr. Kim. "Yes," sadly replied Jenny. "Okay then! I'll just prepare the packaging," said Mr. Kim, glancing at her once with a concerned look on his face and finally left. Jenny scanned the painting one more time, in hopes of finding another clue as to who might have painted it. She looked around her, half expecting to see the man in the gray hoodie sitting somewhere in the room, observing her, but to no avail. She then turned her attention back to the painting and remembered that painters do sign their works. She searched for the signature and was, once again, disappointed by what she saw. There was a signature, but it was a signature of a painter named 'Mark'.