Chapter Thirteen

The Black Rose

 

              Mr. Kim decided to close the cafe earlier than usual. He went straight to the staff quarters and gave Jenny a glass of water. "Here, drink this," he offered. Jenny reached for the glass of water and drank a little from it. Mr. Kim took a stool from the corner and set it in front of her while saying, "If you're ready to talk, you know where to find me." He walked towards the door when Jenny suddenly spoke, "Mr. Kim, I know you got confused by how I acted earlier. I'm sorry to have disturbed you like this." He turned around and just smiled at her softly. Jenny's tears started to fall once more because he reminded her of her father who passed away three years ago due to a car accident. Seeing this, Mr. Kim approached her and enclosed her in his arms. Jenny's tears kept on running down her cheeks. She hadn't cried like this in a while. "I know what I saw, though I don't know what really happened, just know that I am always here," he said as he patted her back. Jenny cried harder but she was somehow reassured that whatever she might go through in the next few weeks or months, she'll have someone to turn to aside from her bestfriend Minzy. Despite this, Jenny felt that she was not yet ready to tell him anything about her past relationship.

 

             Mr. Kim led Jenny outside the room and ushered her to her seat by the window. By now, Jenny had already stopped crying. He asked her if she would like to have some tea to calm her down even more. Jenny nodded and he took this as a go signal to start brewing one. He patted her on the head once and then excused himself.

               Jenny had lost all energy to move. She was staring blankly at the table when her phone suddenly rang. She snapped out of her reverie and fished for her phone. She answered it without looking to see who it was. "Hello?" answered the person in the other line. Jenny did not bother to speak so the caller continued on, "Jenny... are you there? It's Dae Sung. I called because I just want to ask if you want tteokbokki? I happen to pass by a pojangmacha here on my way home," he detailed. "Where exactly are you now?" asked Jenny. "I'm here at Hongdae," he answered. Jenny pondered for a minute whether she would tell him where she was and finally said, "I'm at Mr. Kim's cafe."

              "Mr. Kim's cafe? Is that the cafe where we came to pick you up the last time you were here?" he asked. "Yes... yes it is," she answered back. "Oh, you're very close to where I am now. Are you with Minzy or Seung Yoon?" asked Dae Sung as he started to walk towards the cafe. "I'm alone," she answered simply. "Well... um... I'll meet you there then?" he asked, stopping in his tracks as he realized that Jenny might not really want his company after all. "Okay. I'm just going to have some tea then, we can go to the pojangmacha you were talking about right after," she said as she forced herself to sound cheerful. Hearing this, he continued on his way as he ended the call.

              Mr. Kim approached Jenny carrying with him a small plate of biscuits. "The tea is almost done. I just thought you might want some biscuits to go with it," said Mr. Kim thoughtfully. "I'd love to Mr. Kim. Thank you... for everything," she said, smiling a little this time. "Your friend called?" he asked curiously. "Yes. He's coming over, though we won't take that long," replied Jenny. "I think he should have a taste of my tea as well! I'll bet you haven't tasted anything like it before!" he boasted. Just then, her phone rang yet again. It was Dae Sung. "Excuse me dear, I'll just check on my tea," said Mr. Kim. "Hello," answered Jenny. "Jenny, I'm here outside the cafe but, it seems like it's closed," informed Dae Sung. "Wait for me there," she said and then she hung up. Jenny opened the door of the cafe to Dae Sung's surprise. "Oh... you're... there. How come...," he trailed off. "Come on in!" she said a little too cheerfully.

 

                She led Dae Sung to a seat across from hers. Just then, Mr. Kim came walking towards them bringing with him a teapot. "Here you go," he said as he set the teapot on the table. He turned to face Dae Sung with inquisitive eyes and said, "I think I didn't see you with Jenny before." Dae Sung looked at him, then at Jenny and finally realized what he was talking about. "Oh, I was waiting by the car that time. My name's Dae Sung sir," he said as he bowed to him. Mr. Kim smiled and bowed back. He then reached for Dae Sung's hand and shook it firmly. Dae Sung was surprised by this yet he found it amusing. Mr. Kim then went off to get teacups for the two of them. "That ahjussi looks kind," whispered Dae Sung to Jenny. "Yes, he is. He actually owns this place," beamed Jenny. He scanned his surroundings and realized that there were paintings on every corner. "This place may look a little old but, it's beautiful," he observed. "Dae, excuse me for a while. I'm just going to the washroom," said Jenny as she stood up.

               Mr. Kim came back with the teacups and, noticing that Jenny wasn't in her seat, inched closer to Dae sung. "Young man, may I ask you a favor?" he inquired. Dae Sung was once again surprised by the old man. "Anything ahjussi," he responded. "But before anything else, I prefer you call me Mr. Kim. I just don't want to sound old," he smiled. Dae Sung smiled back. "Dae Sung, please take good care of your friend. I feel that her heart is wounded, to the point that it bleeds pain, and only pain," he said, lowering his voice so that Jenny won't hear. "I can't seem too... did something happen ahjussi?" asked Dae sung, concern forming on his voice. "She cried a lot today son," answered Mr. Kim sadly. "W... Why?" he stuttered wide-eyed. Just then, Jenny came out of the washroom. Mr. Kim grabbed the teapot and pretended to pour tea while Dae Sung just looked on sadly.


Background Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYsnLraktJI


                 Dae Sung watched as Jenny sipped her tea and took a bite from the biscuit. He did see Jenny cry once at the restaurant, but he didn't know that her problem was that bad. She had already revealed to him before about a past love that hurt her and this made him wonder how deep the wound he gave her was. He wanted to know about it badly, but he was too scared to ask. He pounded the side of his head once. Jenny looked up and almost caught him in the act but was quick enough to pretend to be brushing up his hair. Jenny cocked her head and asked, "Why are you not drinking your tea Dae? It tastes better when it's hot." He picked up his teacup and finished all its contents in one gulp. This made Jenny chuckle. "I didn't say drink them all at once," she teased. Dae Sung just smiled widely and poured more tea on his cup. "Are you okay?" wondered Jenny. He just nodded and once again drank all of his tea. Jenny just shook her head at him in disbelief. Mr. Kim watched the two closely from the bar and seeing how Dae Sung could make Jenny smile, even if it was just for a little while, he suddenly wished Dae Sung could teach her how to slowly let go of the pain. 

 

                  Mr. Kim came out of the door to see them off. "You two take care, alright? And Jenny, if you want to have some of my tea again, I'll be happy to brew it for you," he said. Jenny smiled at him and understood exactly what he meant. "Thank you Mr. Kim," she said. "Your tea's delicious by the way," added Dae Sung, breaking his silence. They waved goodbye to him and then, started on their way.

                 Dae Sung can't help but worry about Jenny. Somehow, he started to feel a tinge of anger towards the guy who had hurt her, although he was not yet sure whether this was the only reason why she had been crying. He glanced at her once and saw her eyes glisten. He suddenly stopped walking and Jenny followed suit. Jenny turned around to face him, wondering why he suddenly stopped. He took a deep breath, lifted his head, and spoke sternly, "What did he do to you for you to act like this?" Jenny's forehead creased in confusion. He walked closer to her and spoke louder this time, "What did he do, huh, Jenny? What did he do?" Jenny was startled and got more confused as she saw his anger. What she didn't notice were the tears that suddenly came when he asked her this question. Seeing this, Dae Sung's anger slowly turned to compassion. Jenny wiped her face and stared at the tears on her hands. Dae Sung hugged her, and that was when she felt the unbearable pain seep through her once more. She cried harder this time. "I'm sorry Jenny... I'm sorry," he said apologetically, not letting her go, not even once.

 

 

                 A cool wind blew on Jenny's face as she pushed herself on the swing. She and Dae Sung decided to just spend the rest of the evening by the park instead of eating at the pojangmacha. She watched as Dae Sung walked closer to where she was, carrying with him two ice pops. He handed her one and sat on the swing beside hers. "I'm sorry you have to see me like that," she apologized. "There's nothing to apologize for. Crying is not something you plan. As what Paulo Coelho once said in his book Aleph, 'Tears are words that need to be shed.' Your heart has a lot of things to say, yet you don't want to listen to any of them. That is why you feel an unbearable pain and tears just come out without you knowing," he explained. "I guess I owe you an explanation now," she said. "You have to start somewhere, and then you'll be able to move on," he smiled.