Chapter Twenty Six

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/bangau-sound/the-sad-love-story-ost


               Seung Yoon set down his spoon, a signal for Nana Hyun Ae to put away his leftovers. Nana Hyun Ae was greeted by Minzy upon closing the door. "How is he Nana?" she asked worriedly, fiddling with her fingers. "He's doing better. I gave him his medicine and he took it willingly. I think it's time... that you talk to him," Nana said as she patted Minzy on her shoulder.

 

               Minzy sat by the foot of the bed, facing Seung Yoon directly.

               "How are you feeling?" she asked calmly.

              "I feel better so I think it's time that we go home. I feel uncomfortable being here in that... that hoodlum's territory," he scowled, his arms resting on his raised knees. 

               "You don't know a thing about him," defended Minzy, shaking her head at him as she did so.

               "That's because you're not saying anything to me. And why do I get the feeling that you're defending him? Who the hell is he to you?" he asked her sternly.

               "He's-"

               "-her boyfriend. We met in Paris. We kept it a secret up until now," Seung Hyun said, suddenly breaking into the conversation.

             He stood behind Minzy, putting both his hands on her shoulders. She tensed for a bit, but calmed down as she followed his train of thought. Seung Yoon looked at them hatefully, his heart stinging with pain. "So I was right all along?! You are both hideous... using other people for your own benefit. What did you bribe my cousin with, huh? And what about Dae Sung? Didn't you like him?!" he asked confusedly. Minzy's eyes widened. "What?! Was that all an act too?! You're... unbelievable! Playing with feelings just like that. I'm going home... with or without you," he announced as he threw the covers away. He quickly stood up and walked past them in strides, and pause a foot away from the door. "Wait a minute... why would you hide your relationship from us in the first place?" he asked as he turned around to face them, their backs on him. "When you arrived here in Seoul Minzy, I had no idea who you were and neither did Dae Sung. So, what's the point of hiding your relationship from us and even coaxing my cousin to do your bidding as well?" he inquired doubtfully.

              Seung Hyun turned around to face him. "Minzy didn't coax her to do anything. Your cousin doesn't know about us. I was about to get married to her when I decided that I couldn't risk leaving Minzy for her. Minzy only knew of what I felt for her a few days ago, when she finally unveiled my mask," he explained calmly. Seung Yoon's eyes widened as he realized who he was. "You're... you're Seung Hyun. You son of a-," he broke off as he ran angrily towards him, aiming his right fist straight at him. Minzy suddenly stood in front of Seung Hyun willing him to stop. Seung Yoon was caught off guard but had immediately got hold of himself. He then put his arm down and stared at her in disbelief. "You're shameless Minzy," he whispered in disgust. "You betrayed your own bestfriend for someone as worthless as him," he said angrily. He then walked off towards the door but was stopped by Minzy as she pleaded, "Please don't tell her about this. I beg you Seung Yoon... please." 

               "Don't worry... I won't tell her anything because if there's someone who should tell her about this, it's you," he said matter-of-factly as he reached for the knob of the door, closing it behind him with a bang. 

 


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/kaatrinaaa/playful-kiss-ost-love-sorrow


             Jenny had been falling in and out of sleep outside the house while waiting for Minzy and her cousin to arrive. Suddenly, her phone beeped. It was a message from Seung Yoon. 

"i'm on my way home couz... i'm sorry for texting you just now~ i hope you're still awake because i think i want to have soju with you~"

              With this, Jenny decided to go back inside. She sat by the couch, opened the television, and scanned the channels for something worth watching while waiting. She decided on cartoons instead and settled herself comfortably on the couch when Uncle Dong Wook and Aunt Soo Jin came in from their late night grocery. She quickly stood up to help them carry the bags to the kitchen. 

             Jenny decided to help her aunt and uncle further by putting away the groceries along with them. Somehow, this activity helped her relax a bit. Aunt Soo Jin suddenly spoke, breaking the silence. "Where is your cousin? Oh, and Minzy too. I'm planning to cook some late night ramen for us. Your uncle got hungry from all the cart-pushing," she laughed. Uncle Dong Wook scowled at his wife but soon joined her in laughter. Jenny couldn't help but laugh along with them even though she didn't knew what was so funny about what she had just said. 

              After finishing up with the groceries, Uncle Dong Wook announced that he will have cold shower so that the ramen would be ready once he was done leaving Jenny alone with Aunt Soo Jin. Jenny sat by the dining table while her aunt walked about the adjoining kitchen, opening cupboards for ingredients that his uncle had absent-mindedly put away. "Jenny," she sweetly called out, "Do you happen to know where your uncle put away the ramen noodles?" Jenny walked into the kitchen and found the noodles by the table where she saw her aunt place them earlier. "Auntie, it's just here... by the table," she informed her. Aunt Soo Jin turned around and saw, to her surprise, the noodles that she had been looking for. "Oh my... I completely forgot that I already put it out for cooking," she said, blushing a bit as she did so. "Your aunt is getting quite old... forgetting a lot of things," she smiled, looking at Jenny with crinkly eyes. Seeing her, she remembered her mother. "Could I help you with something then?" offered Jenny, returning back her smile. Aunt Soo Jin shook her head in answer and ushered her out of the kitchen. "Go wait by the living room. I'll call you as soon as it's ready. And I guess-," she broke off so as to check the time, her head bent backwards to look up at the clock, '-your cousin and Minzy will have been home by then. It's getting late."

 

                Jenny's eyes were half closed when she heard someone close the door behind her. She turned around and saw Seung Yoon whose head was bent down, probably searching for his slippers. "Finally... you're here," she breathed a sigh of relief. He looked up and walked towards the couch beside hers, flopping into it as if he had ran the marathon. "Where have you been? Don't tell me you spied on Minzy until later this evening? Her co-workers might've seen you," she whispered, avoiding being heard by Aunt Soo Jin. Seung Yoon went still, his eyes closed in exhaustion. "Are you sleeping? Aunt Soo Jin is making ramen for us. Hey...," she said as she reached for his shoulder. "Yoonie, you're warm," she said as she placed her hand on his forehead. "You're feverish... or, were you just flushed from staying outside for too long?" she wondered out loud. Seung Yoon's eyes flew open as he said, "I'm okay couz... no need to worry. I've already taken my medicine." He then sat upright, and looked straight into her eyes. She was taken aback. It was like he was seeing through her, and it somehow, scared her. He then hugged her, which surprised Jenny. "Yoonie... are you alright?" she asked nervously. Seung Yoon just hugged her tighter as he whispered, "You are like a sister to me and no matter what happens, I vow to protect you from anyone who's going to hurt you." Jenny frowned in confusion, "I... I don't... understand. Why are you being like this all of a sudden?" Just then, his mother called them from the kitchen, stopping him from getting lost deeper into his emotions.