Chapter Ten

The Black Rose

 

           Breakfast was a quiet one. Aunt Soo Jin and Uncle Dong Wook pretended to wash the dishes and clean the table as the three kids left altogether to go for a stroll by the park. Uncle Dong Wook stretched his neck for one last look at the door and heard it slam shut. He then walked hurriedly to stand beside his wife who was washing the dishes. "Yeobo, did you notice something very... unusual?" he asked. Aunt Soo Jin stopped what she was doing, pretended to look around for possible eavesdroppers, and finally whispered, "Last night, I peeked outside from our room when I heard them came in and I saw Jenny's tear stricken face. There must be something going on that we don't know. Something must have happened yesterday. We should find out what it is." Uncle Dong Wook straightened up and thought for a minute. "I think we should stay out of it. I bet it's just a simple misunderstanding between the kids. Who knows, maybe they're going to fix things up that's why they went out to take a 'stroll'," he said thoughtfully. Aunt Soo Jin regarded this and decided not to meddle with the kids' problems. "They're already big kids. They should know how to handle things like this by now," she said as she looked at Uncle Dong Wook for reassurance and he gave her a smile in return.  

 

          Dae Sung met them at the park, which surprised Jenny and Minzy because they knew he had work that day. "He insisted on coming with us, saying he'll just take a leave for today," explained Seung Yoon. "Dae, you should have just gone to work," insisted Jenny. "Not with you like this," concern forming on his voice. Minzy looked at him, finally seeing something in him that she hadn't seen before. Seung Yoon caught her like this and looked at his bestfriend once and then back at Minzy. "Did you sleep well last night, couz?" asked Seung Yoon while holding his gaze towards Minzy who, unknowingly, was still staring at Dae Sung. 

              "I did couz," lied Jenny. Dae Sung turned towards Seung Yoon and then at Minzy. It was only then that Minzy looked away and met Seung Yoon's eyes. She then realized the sternness of his gaze. He then looked away and pretended to look at the people riding their bikes. Jenny, sensing awkwardness with the three people, started to walk towards the swings. The three then slowly followed behind her. Dae Sung was the first one to speak, "Can someone explain to me what the hell happened yesterday?" He lowered down his voice so that Jenny would not hear them. "I don't know. Ask her," answered Seung Yoon, pointing at Minzy. "I... I have no idea why she broke down like that," lied Minzy. "The only thing I know is that I saw someone observing us yesterday at the restaurant. It was a stranger in a gray hoodie. I'm sure she ran towards the door because of that person. I saw the hooded stranger cross the street and then vanish into thin air," she added. "A stranger in a gray hoodie?" curiously asked Dae Sung. "Also, she lied just now. She did not get to sleep well last night. She kept on tossing and turning. There was even a time when I sensed her crying and saw her sitting on the floor, holding the painting in her hands," narrated Minzy. "Did something happen to her in Paris?" suddenly asked Seung Yoon. Minzy was caught off guard and so, she stopped on her tracks. "I think now is not the right time to tell us whatever it is that's weighing in on her. Let's talk about that some other time," whispered Dae Sung. 

             Jenny sat on the swing and gently pushed herself. She closed her eyes, feeling the soft wind blowing on her face. Dae Sung sat beside her while Seung Yoon and Minzy sat on the other pair of swings. "How are you feeling?" Dae Sung started. Jenny opened her eyes, "I'm... feeling better now than yesterday." Dae Sung looked at her. She suddenly looked different to him. She could no longer see the happy Jenny he first met. 

            "Now that we're out of Jenny's earshot, could you tell me why my cousin became like this?" asked Seung Yoon. Minzy knows she is not in the right position to tell him what her bestfriend went through in Paris. She decided to remain quiet and ignore his question. Seung Yoon sensed this and decided to focus on other matters. "Alright then. Let's talk about this stranger in a gray hoodie you saw yesterday. Did you get a glimpse of the person's face?" he asked. "I didn't see the person's face because the hood is covering the entire face plus, the stranger was hiding in the shadows," she answered. "Do you think it was a man?" he asked again. "With that towering height, I bet he is," guessed Minzy. "Should I be on a lookout for this man in the gray hoodie?" he wondered. "I think we both should. But, we have to keep this from Jenny. We have to act like we don't know anything about that man so we could observe her as well," suggested Minzy. Seung Yoon tried to absorb everything he heard and silently agreed with her. Jenny and Dae Sung decided to take a walk. Seung Yoon and Minzy followed suit, keeping their eyes glued on Jenny.

             Jenny is feeling relaxed once again now that Dae Sung is here with her. His calmness radiates towards her. "You know Dae, I feel better everytime you're here with me," said Jenny. Dae Sung was surprised at what she said that he blushed a little upon hearing this. "I should have met you before him," she followed. This remark got Dae Sung's attention. "Him?" he asked curiously. "A person who made me fall in love with him and then... left me just like that," she smiled despite the pain seeping in. Dae Sung was saddened by this new information. She was nursing a broken heart all this time. He had competition still, a man who wasn't even there. This will be a tough one to beat. He knows he had to give her time. But, he'll make sure he's there for her until she's ready to open her heart once more. 

               In a distance, not that far away, a man in a gray hoodie was observing them. This time, Seung Yoon saw him too.